College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

Really interesting player. Competent shooter, good rebounder for his position, and draws fouls. Seems like the kind of player who could compete with Mitchell, and if he doesn't win the battle, spell both Mitchell and Christie. Of course, who knows what kind of role he's seeking.

I'm sure he wants a starting role but maybe he'd tolerate a 6th man role. We don't know for sure yet that we'll have Christie next season.

We are all frustrated by the portal but how about the life of a mid-major fan? You already have to assume that your coach is gone if your team makes a run in the NCAA tournament but now you have to assume you are going to lose your whole roster as well.

We are all frustrated by the portal but how about the life of a mid-major fan? You already have to assume that your coach is gone if your team makes a run in the NCAA tournament but now you have to assume you are going to lose your whole roster as well.
Rich get richer.

I would assume they are mostly used to it at this point...but yeah.

Portal is hot today. Feels like a guy w would target at that 7th-8th man type.

if people could have either on Gophers next year. Both are sophomores and we’ll assume neither can make the NBA.
1) Payne
2) Avilla

Who’s your horse and why?

You can't just watch a few games and conclude you know the whole story. Hell, Garcia has had some games where one can wonder "How the hell was he so highly rated?"

He made a claim that Rebraca was much better than Morgan at the times they transferred to the Big Ten. I showed some very commonly used advanced stats to refute that. He got pissed that I dared to argue against his statement and insulted me as a poster, so fuck him!
Watching a few games and concluding you know the whole story is still better than watching no games and concluding you know the whole story.

Talking about Hadley

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240409_210022_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409_210022_Messages.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 85

I've been trying to not make more Clem analogies...but you're forcing me to.

They always said Clem was a hard-nosed coach...slow it down, defensive minded. But lo-and-behold...all of a sudden...out of nowhere...when we finally put together a great team...we look to run and push the ball up the court as fast as possible at every opportunity.

If everyone returns and we add a good player or 2...all of a sudden Ben will be a good coach.
He wasn't a good coach with Payne.. he was a good player .. Joj started what 40 games.... Is that not a good player.. we need a heck of a lot more than a good player or 2 to make Ben look avg let alone look like a good coach

I know it's not basketball, but talking about the portal - saw some posts about a football player from Oregon State who entered the portal. "reports" from Oregon State claim that this player had been offered $400,000 in NIL to stay at Oregon State and he turned it down because he thinks he can get more elsewhere. here's a report from On3's portal site with ESPN's Pete Thamel as a source.....

It was reported Tuesday that Oregon State running back Damien Martinez intends to enter the transfer portal, and he apparently turned down a big pay day to do so. According to Pete Thamel of ESPN, Martinez was slated to make $400,000 in NIL money had he returned to Corvallis for a third season.

Martinez was All-Pac 12 at RB. supposedly the 2nd-best RB available in the portal.
the money being thrown at athletes is nuts. If you're not a cinch 1st-round draft pick, you might be better off staying in school.

If there is even an ounce of truth regarding your comment (there isn't, of course), the approach certainly hasn't worked out very well for Ben.

If you suffer from insomnia, throw in a CBJ interview and say hello to Dreamland.
If you lined up 100 college FB & BB coaches...to speak in front of an audience who who didn't know them...they wouldn't have any idea which ones were coaching the best teams and which ones were coaching the worst teams.

Everyone already isn't returning...are you ok? Don't you remember you were telling us all how it wasn't Ben's fault players left because money is all that matters. Money we supposedly don't have according to you...which should have helped players return...even though it didn't.

Keep bringing up Clem...it makes your arguments look worse every time since now the analogy doesn't even work. 2nd round of the NIT /= Sweet 16.

At least you have your excuse for next year already teed up though.
I realize that Payne is leaving. The point is that Ben put together a good roster. Just like I said all along...we need to wait until his 1st recruiting class are juniors.

Like Clem. We had a good team when his 1st recruiting class were juniors.

If the players get bribed away...it's not the coach's fault.

I realize that Payne is leaving. The point is that Ben put together a good roster. Just like I said all along...we need to wait until his 1st recruiting class are juniors.

I fully agree that you need to give coaches time. It is why I was on board with giving Johnson year 3 and after this this past year can understand why he will get year 4.

But the argument about recruits really doesn't hold water anymore in this transfer portal era. Especially in basketball where the roster churn is off the charts and teams are basically being fully remade on a yearly basis in a lot of places.

Did the dead period end so things should start flying here?

"A Good Roster" only matters if they stay. They aren't. So he really put together nothing.

How long should we give him if he isn't even building a foundation. The Clem system doesn't work in todays P6 unless you are a better coach than CBJ appears to be.

if people could have either on Gophers next year. Both are sophomores and we’ll assume neither can make the NBA.
1) Payne
2) Avilla

Who’s your horse and why?
Avilla.... he stretches the floor and can post up

I fully agree that you need to give coaches time. It is why I was on board with giving Johnson year 3 and after this this past year can understand why he will get year 4.

But the argument about recruits really doesn't hold water anymore in this transfer portal era. Especially in basketball where the roster churn is off the charts and teams are basically being fully remade on a yearly basis in a lot of places.
His first recruiting class?

His first recruiting class are all gone.

I'll give you this...you're good for a belly laugh pretty much every day.
"A Good Roster" only matters if they stay. They aren't. So he really put together nothing.

How long should we give him if he isn't even building a foundation. The Clem system doesn't work in todays P6 unless you are a better coach than CBJ appears to be.

We need transfers AND recruits.

Ben had some good transfers before (Battle, Cooper) but no time to develop any recruits to go along with them.

Now he has a good roster...starting lineup is 2 recruits (1 bribed away) and 3 transfers.

If it's no longer possible to keep recruits...then there's no hope. Except if we get lucky once in a while. Changing coaches won't help.

We need transfers AND recruits.

Ben had some good transfers before (Battle, Cooper) but no time to develop any recruits to go along with them.

Now he has a good roster...starting lineup is 2 recruits (1 bribed away) and 3 transfers.

If it's no longer possible to keep recruits...then there's no hope. Except if we get lucky once in a while. Changing coaches won't help.
It sucks that we're the only team impacted by this.

Top Bottom