College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

We are all frustrated by the portal but how about the life of a mid-major fan? You already have to assume that your coach is gone if your team makes a run in the NCAA tournament but now you have to assume you are going to lose your whole roster as well.
I have nothing to back this up but wondering if the portal has allowed these mid-majors to land kids out of HS they wouldn't normally get? If a guy isn't getting the offers they want, they might go to a mid-major to get a lot of playing time right away and then know they can transfer to a bigger program after a season or two. Gotta believe that's happening at least some.

I have nothing to back this up but wondering if the portal has allowed these mid-majors to land kids out of HS they wouldn't normally get? If a guy isn't getting the offers they want, they might go to a mid-major to get a lot of playing time right away and then know they can transfer to a bigger program after a season or two. Gotta believe that's happening at least some.
Honestly I would think that was the case before the portal as well. But the ease of transferring now might make guys less hesitant to take that mid-major offer knowing they can very easily move up if they play well.

Keep an eye on Cash Chavis, mid major or P6?

And the system mostly benefits the powerful. They only need to invest money into players and not time and effort of development. And while the mids might get an upgrade in talent, they get nothing in return for their investment in a player. Not a fairly negotiated transaction.

And the system mostly benefits the powerful. They only need to invest money into players and not time and effort of development. And while the mids might get an upgrade in talent, they get nothing in return for their investment in a player. Not a fairly negotiated transaction.

It can also work the other way though. P6 players moving down to the Mid-Major level. Teams like San Diego State, Nevada, Grand Canyon, McNeese and LBSU all had former P6 players as their best player, just to name a few. There's just a lot of players out there these days.

I suspect you are right. Two or three years ago there's was a story published about this that included quotes from people who assist high school athletes in acquiring scholarships. The consensus was that the transfer portal really depressed the high school recruiting market. They mentioned some players that would have gotten scholarships to 4 year institutions in the past were having to settle for junior college scholarships.

How does he still have eligibility?

He's played 4 years but sat out a year between his second and third year of playing. He did play in the 2020-21 year but that one doesn't count. So, he has one year of eligibility left. Pretty much the same situation as the big man the Gophers apparently are interested in recruiting (Fitzsimmons of Stony Brook). They will both be in their 6th collegiate year next season.

He's played 4 years but sat out a year between his second and third year of playing. He did play in the 2020-21 year but that one doesn't count. So, he has one year of eligibility left. Pretty much the same situation as the big man the Gophers apparently are interested in recruiting (Fitzsimmons of Stony Brook). They will both be in their 6th collegiate year next season.
His numbers suggest he could help even if not a high end big in our league.

His numbers suggest he could help even if not a high end big in our league.

I think that's the way Johnson (and us) should think about this. The supply of reasonably good (or better) big men is not so high and a fair number of them who have entered the portal have committed relatively quickly. What I think might be worth doing is taking a couple of center/forwards who have the capability to be productive even if neither one individually looks like someone who would project to being high achiever. Let them both play and see how much we can get from the combination.

The lack of visits, being listed in any kids "top x" , no real momentum has me terrified. Do we know all the info, of course not, but come on a little momentum or news would be good!

Likely there are contacts and discussions occurring but we're just not hearing about them. I hope so anyway. We're also winding down to the crunch time in the academic semester and it may be that some players aren't too keen on doing visits for the next few weeks.

Frankie Fidler (Omaha) to announce Monday.

Creighton
Michigan State
Nebraska
Wisconsin

Nebraska native.

I was searching for possible transfer players during the season and came across him in my search. I was impressed by his scoring ability but was less impressed when I watched him play for a stretch late in one of their conference tournament games. He seemed to stand around a fair amount waiting for other players to get him the ball.

I was searching for possible transfer players during the season and came across him in my search. I was impressed by his scoring ability but was less impressed when I watched him play for a stretch late in one of their conference tournament games. He seemed to stand around a fair amount waiting for other players to get him the ball.
A small sampling. ...

Fidler (24 points, no 3s) got to the line a lot (10 for 13) in the first meeting vs. St. Thomas @ Omaha.

Second time around @ UST Tommies did a pretty good job on Fidler (10 points). 5 for 13 from the field, 0-4 from 3.

So he's Canadian, is that correct he can't get NIL? I know that was mentioned with Edey, that would probably help us.
Canadians don't need a F-1 visa to study in the US - the visa usually mentioned with respect to NIL. Canadians just need an I-20 from the school

guessing they can collect NIL

also, here's an SI article on the subject stepping through the differences for passive and active incomes, NIL, and international students

So he's Canadian, is that correct he can't get NIL? I know that was mentioned with Edey, that would probably help us.

That might be our best hope going forward: having a roster heavy on international players. I was reading an article yesterday indicating that there are ongoing efforts to change that but they're slow moving and have no assurance of success.

From reading his bio on the Canisius site, he played one year in the USA and one year at a Canadian college. He sat out a year after transferring to Canisius from the Canadian school. So, looks like he would have at least 2 years of eligibility.

He's a rebounding machine: 20 double figure rebounding games in the 31 games he played. Had 22 rebounds in game late in the season. #4 in the nation in rebounds per game and #2 in the nation in total rebounding percentage. Led his conference in effective field goal percentage (56.1%). Only 16th in True Shooting Percentage due to his poor free throw shooting. This guy could be a really solid addition but we would want to recruit another big who can shoot free throws to play later in the halves.

Last edited:

Canadians don't need a F-1 visa to study in the US - the visa usually mentioned with respect to NIL. Canadians just need an I-20 from the school

guessing they can collect NIL

also, here's an SI article on the subject stepping through the differences for passive and active incomes, NIL, and international students

Here is an article quoting Edey on his lack of significant NIL money -

Top Bottom