College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

Some enthusiastic and competent leadership in the university and the program would be a good start getting past the “woe is us” inertia.
I used to hope for this. I used to hope for a big coaching hire.

But now that won't work...unless we also enter the sleaze game. Which I'm not sure I even want to do.

Takes very very little to get threads off track here. Any thread that gets beyond a page or two is bound to have pages worth of content with no connection at all to what the thread was supposed to be about.

Will be interesting to see how soon the UCONN and/or Purdue guys jump into the portal fray. Guessing neither school will see massive defections but in this current climate they are bound to see at least a couple.

"A Good Roster" only matters if they stay. They aren't. So he really put together nothing.

How long should we give him if he isn't even building a foundation. The Clem system doesn't work in today’s P6 unless you are a better coach than CBJ appears to be.
A good roster is what you have in September. Every year.

Another guy we talked to of the board. Seems to be going poorly in the portal for the squad

Another swing and a miss. Seems like Strike two. Morgan, Essandoko
I get calling Morgan a miss. Can the same be said for Essandoko? Every time a guy goes in the portal, a crazy long list of teams contact them. I bet the "hit" rate for the transfer portal is less than 1% nationwide if we call it a miss whenever a school reaches out to a player and they go somewhere else.

Now, if you get them for a visit and they go somewhere else, then I would be more inclined to agree with the "swing and a miss" take.

I get calling Morgan a miss. Can the same be said for Essandoko? Every time a guy goes in the portal, a crazy long list of teams contact them. I bet the "hit" rate for the transfer portal is less than 1% nationwide if we call it a miss whenever a school reaches out to a player and they go somewhere else.

Now, if you get them for a visit and they go somewhere else, then I would be more inclined to agree with the "swing and a miss" take.
May not have been much of a swing truly, but IMO it should have been more effort to lure here.

May not have been much of a swing truly, but IMO it should have been more effort to lure here.
Hypothetical:

"Hey Christ, it's CBJ (that's short for Coach Ben Johnson if you're not on Gopher Hole)."

"Hey CBJ, thanks for touching base, but I'm really looking to stay out east. I'm not really interested in moving to Minnesota."

"You sure? We've got some great things going on here, we've got an All B1G player returning, the conference assist leader returning, and possibly one of the best freshmen in the league returning. You sure you don't want to even consider it?"

"Yeah CBJ, I'm good. Thanks for reaching out though."

How much effort needs to be put into getting a guy like Christ here? BTW, this whole thing was made up.

With so many players and the NIL factor, patience is going to be needed. The big boys and big money teams are going to swoop and get what they want first. We are going to have to let them spend their money first…

Honest question.

Had you ever heard of the guy before his name popped up in the portal?
No, but researching on him and watching some of him, seems like he could have boosted our current center position. His style of play (not actual skill level) reminds me of a Joel Embiid type.

First off, the baseball anaolgy of a swing and miss everytime we don't land a portal recruit is just dumb. I agree with the poster who said if we don't get a commitment from a transfer player that visits that could count as a miss but not landing every player we reach out to certainly isn't.

But my second question is how do you know how much effort was or was not expended in recruiting a player that decided not to come here? Coaches could have done everything possible but the kid just wasn't interested in coming here.

We all see the lists of teams that have been in contact with players and I feel very confident in saying those lists probably only include a portion of the teams that have reached out in many cases.

I used to hope for this. I used to hope for a big coaching hire.

But now that won't work...unless we also enter the sleaze game. Which I'm not sure I even want to do.
Can you elaborate on "the sleaze game" part of your post?

Thanks

Another swing and a miss. Seems like Strike two. Morgan, Essandoko

We had three consecutive strikes going after another guard last summer until we hit with Hawkins. Granted, there are far more quality guards in the portal than there are quality big men.

We had three consecutive strikes going after another guard last summer until we hit with Hawkins. Granted, there are far more quality guards in the portal than there are quality big men.
That scenario begs the question of whether we were lucky or good in that evaluation. I suspect Hawkins drops off the board of a lot of teams because he is small. Ended up being a really good pick up.

First off, the baseball anaolgy of a swing and miss everytime we don't land a portal recruit is just dumb. I agree with the poster who said if we don't get a commitment from a transfer player that visits that could count as a miss but not landing every player we reach out to certainly isn't.

But my second question is how do you know how much effort was or was not expended in recruiting a player that decided not to come here? Coaches could have done everything possible but the kid just wasn't interested in coming here.

We all see the lists of teams that have been in contact with players and I feel very confident in saying those lists probably only include a portion of the teams that have reached out in many cases.

Well said. Another way of looking at this is that of all those institutional names on a list reported to have interest in a player, only one of them (at most) lands that player. I think some around here think we're the only loser among P6 teams.

That scenario begs the question of whether we were lucky or good in that evaluation. I suspect Hawkins drops off the board of a lot of teams because he is small. Ended up being a really good pick up.

I don't know about you but I've always believed in this old cliche:

"I'd rather be lucky than good."

And this exchange (from the movie Barfly):

"Just dumb luck!"

"Yeah, but that counts too!"

I don't know about you but I've always believed in this old cliche:

"I'd rather be lucky than good."

And this exchange (from the movie Barfly):

"Just dumb luck!"

"Yeah, but that counts too!"
Being good often leads to being lucky.

Well said. Another way of looking at this is that of all those institutional names on a list reported to have interest in a player, only one of them (at most) lands that player. I think some around here think we're the only loser among P6 teams.
I would love to see what it is like for an in demand player when they enter the portal. Bet they receive a ton of communication from all over the country.

Top Bottom