Claeys - It's official

Thank god the U didn't wait this one out.
A few thoughts:
It's really a 3 year deal starting next season.
It's an extension of the Kill program, so recruits should know what to expect.
It does allow JUCO recruits to know the staff will be here for their entire career. The potential for several JUCOs to come in and start in key spots is high, especially on the lines.
The next 2 seasons set up nicely for Claeys to make a run at 8-10 wins both years, which should be good enough to earn a hell of an extension. By then the facilities will be coming through and in state recruiting will have been worked for 7 years by this staff.
All good things moving forward.

Agree

Do you know what kind of relationship the two have? Neither do I.
I have no idea. Just a snarky comment by me because I'm frustrated with our offense at times. However, we seem to have the engine at least partially going now.

In all seriousness, I'm interested to hear if Claeys will build on that comment or if it will be a wait and see thing for fans.

According to the trib - 3 year deal - 1.4mil year one (next year) - 1.5mil year two - 1.6mil year three. No mention of the buyout but seems like a fair deal for both Claeys and the University at this point given the state of things. Gives Claeys a chance to prove he is the right guy for the job but also gives the new AD some flexibility of not being saddled with an inherited coach with a big contract. Would assume we will see Sawvel officially promoted to DC here at some point soon which is great because he is ready to take that step in his career and had Kill not retired it would not have surprised me to see him leave and become a DC somewhere else this off season.

Exactly this. You have to give some firm direction to the football team while also not handcuffing the incoming AD. It's a tough thing to balance, but I think this move strikes the perfect balance. Let's also not forget that this will be Claeys' first head coaching job and he will START at a Big 10 school so it's not like we should have given him a Cadillac immediately. Let him prove himself and then let the new AD decide to give him a nice raise in a year or two.

@MarQueisG: Congrats Coach Claeys aka Tripple C (Cool.Calm.Collected.)[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only two that strike me as nearly a sure thing are Dantonio at Michigan State and Fitzgerald at Northwestern. Coming into the year Ferentz looked like he might be on thin ice but now he might also be a safe bet to be around for a while given the year they have had.

But yeah, outside of only a couple there are no guarantees of any kind that a staff is going to be around and any recruit that doesn't understand that has not been paying any attention to the coaching landscape. As others have said, when the AD position is solidified, if Claeys is getting it done he will get a nice extension and raise. Claeys knows that and I am sure he also knows that given the circumstances this is a very fair offer for a first time head coach.

Fitz I might give you, Dantonio has had heart problems, I wouldn't be surprised if he retired.

I have no idea. Just a snarky comment by me because I'm frustrated with our offense at times. However, we seem to have the engine at least partially going now.

In all seriousness, I'm interested to hear if Claeys will build on that comment or if it will be a wait and see thing for fans.

Teams have dared us to pass so much that we've improved a lot this year in the passing game. Brick by Brick.

The doubt would be casted no matter what, given circumstances

That's my feeling. A 2-year deal would have looked really bad. I think the 3 or 4 years reaches the point of splitting hairs. I would rather they made it 4 years, but it wouldn't have stopped Ferentz/Christ and Co. from using it against us anyway.

If Limegrover continues to struggle with play calling like Ohio State will Claeys consider making a change after the season?

A few thoughts:
It does allow JUCO recruits to know the staff will be here for their entire career. The potential for several JUCOs to come in and start in key spots is high, especially on the lines.
The next 2 seasons set up nicely for Claeys to make a run at 8-10 wins both years, which should be good enough to earn a hell of an extension. By then the facilities will be coming through and in state recruiting will have been worked for 7 years by this staff.

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over / Under on how long it will take for first thread to appear demanding a pay raise commensurate with the rest of the Big Ten to retain TC.

I'm picking October 2016

I hope it is much sooner because we just got done beating Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, and our bowl opponent.

I hope it is much sooner because we just got done beating Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, and our bowl opponent.

Haha, exactly. It all depends on how he does.

On another note, I liked Marquise's tweet, "Triple C, cool, calm, collected." I had not heard this nickname before has it been around?

This is good news, 4 may have been better for appearance sake, but that's sort of splitting hairs.

This was such an obvious decision. Nice that the U didn't screw it up. Credit to Goetz. They really had no choice. Would've been the 4 th different regime in 10 years if not Claeys. Plus, with so much momentum, no other choice. Recruiting, facilities, continuity, stability. Would be a minor miracle, if not major miracle, to win at Iowa this week with 14 starters and backups out because of injury. They beat Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin and I would give Claeys 10 years.

3 years is just about right under the circumstance and after the season when we hire an AD, you might see a couple more added to that
to make it 5 year deal.

With an interim coach, I thought they might do a 2 year deal, but 3 better and they can always restructure, but it's a clear sign they
still want him.

I think this is probably the best of all possible worlds considering the circumstances.

Congrats to Claeys and his staff. Continue the journey to success.

@MarQueisG: Congrats Coach Claeys aka Tripple C (Cool.Calm.Collected.)[emoji41]

Claeys has something that Kill did not and that is swagger. He has it. His Defenses have it. You can see how TC and Sawvel command respect and the D players exude it.

Congratulations so to Coach C & co.

A fair deal for the U & the coaches given the circumstances.

A meritorious contract - now the players and coaches have to go and win games.

Hopefully Goetz gets serious considerations

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tracy Claeys understands how it works. I'm 100% on board with the move.

Over / Under on how long it will take for first thread to appear demanding a pay raise commensurate with the rest of the Big Ten to retain TC.

I'm picking October 2016

Actually, the guy Sid dictates to is writing it as we speak.

Claeys has something that Kill did not and that is swagger. He has it. His Defenses have it. You can see how TC and Sawvel command respect and the D players exude it.

But does he have swagger in his ass?

A few thoughts:
Really good points...

Top Bottom