Claeys - It's official

Agreed. Really curious to see after the season how many of the staff stays and how many are replaced or move on on their own.

We had no choice. That is never a good position to be in. Hope for the best.

Tweet from Zach Johnson with GI-

I absolutely love this quote from Claeys, "I am looking forward to continuing what we had built at Minnesota, but will do so in my own way."

Can't believe they only gave him three years. The U of M just sent a loud clear message to recruits that they don't have any faith in Claeys and want to be able to fire him in the short term.

These are the things that happen when you don't have an AD. The U has once again done everything that it could do to make football success very difficult to achieve.

I had a feeling it was coming today. Several people were hinting at it on twitter last night.

Glad it is taken care of.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

According to the trib - 3 year deal - 1.4mil year one (next year) - 1.5mil year two - 1.6mil year three. No mention of the buyout but seems like a fair deal for both Claeys and the University at this point given the state of things. Gives Claeys a chance to prove he is the right guy for the job but also gives the new AD some flexibility of not being saddled with an inherited coach with a big contract. Would assume we will see Sawvel officially promoted to DC here at some point soon which is great because he is ready to take that step in his career and had Kill not retired it would not have surprised me to see him leave and become a DC somewhere else this off season.

Can't believe they only gave him three years. The U of M just sent a loud clear message to recruits that they don't have any faith in Claeys and want to be able to fire him in the short term.

These are the things that happen when you don't have an AD. The U has once again done everything that it could do to make football success very difficult to achieve.
Tough to give a really long deal with no AD. The three years is enough to lock in this recruiting class and then once the AD is hired he/she can re-examine and do what they want to do.

I think the three year deal is directly related to the fact that we don't have an AD yet more so then sending a message to someone.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think the three year deal is directly related to the fact that we don't have an AD yet more so then sending a message to someone.

Sure, I'm not saying they're trying to send a message. However, a message is sent. How can Claeys go down south and ask kids to commit to giving him 5 years of their life when he might only be there for one of them?

This is exactly why not having an AD is so damaging.

Can't believe they only gave him three years. The U of M just sent a loud clear message to recruits that they don't have any faith in Claeys and want to be able to fire him in the short term. These are the things that happen when you don't have an AD. The U has once again done everything that it could do to make football success very difficult to achieve.

A 3 year deal does make it tough for recruiting when schools can cast doubt that he will still be here when they finish up their college careers.

We don't have an AD. 3 years is fair and if Claeys didn't like it he wouldn't have signed it. Claeys gets the chance to prove himself and if things are going well the new AD will almost certainly adjust things to the more traditional # of years and what not.

We don't have an AD. 3 years is fair and if Claeys didn't like it he wouldn't have signed it. Claeys gets the chance to prove himself and if things are going well the new AD will almost certainly adjust things to the more traditional # of years and what not.

A three year deal is absolutely fair. However, it just isn't how big time college football works. They better get the AD figured out as quick they can because they can't afford to be lame duck recruiters for an extended period of time.

Sure, I'm not saying they're trying to send a message. However, a message is sent. How can Claeys go down south and ask kids to commit to giving him 5 years of their life when he might only be there for one of them?

This is exactly why not having an AD is so damaging.

I really think the # of years on a coaches contract gets way overblown. Coaches leave or get fired all the time, any kid committing to a school has to know at this point that there is a very good chance they will experience a coaching change at some point in their college career.

A 3 year deal does make it tough for recruiting when schools can cast doubt that he will still be here when they finish up their college careers.

The doubt would be casted no matter what, given circumstances

A three year deal is absolutely fair. However, it just isn't how big time college football works. They better get the AD figured out as quick they can because they can't afford to be lame duck recruiters for an extended period of time.

8 or more wins next year he'll get an extension

Tweet from Zach Johnson with GI-

I absolutely love this quote from Claeys, "I am looking forward to continuing what we had built at Minnesota, but will do so in my own way."

Are you listening Mr. Limegrover?

That's so overplayed and overblown that it's ridiculous. Any coach, at any time, could be gone from the program in the blink of an eye. Do you need a list?

Salary seems about right. I would have gone four years with a favorable buyout (from the University's perspective), but this seems okay at first blush. Any recruit sophisticated enough to draw a distinction between three and four years probably understands that, with a new AD on the way, there is going to be a level of uncertainty for any coach. They may hear that Minnesota isn't committed to Claeys, but Claeys can just as easily tell them that the contract shows a commitment to him and the staff to keep them in place through the AD hire and that then he'll be able to deal with that person on an appropriate extension.

Good.

Now its time to move forward doing it TC's way. And this should help the players who now know who their HC will be.

Will this prompt a recruit or two to give their verbal??

The way the U gives out extensions and raises to its coaches, I'm not worried about 3-years for Claeys.

Beat Iowa and/or Bucky and I'm fully on board with the hire, but we need to get beyond the "we were REALLY close to beating a good team!" mentality. We need to win.

Top Bottom