Claeys - It's official

And you think in the mean time that recruits are willing to bet their futures on that?

I think the shadow will overhang no matter what. I'm sure Recruits are smart enough to look at 5 year deal with a low buy out as 3 year deal

We don't have an AD. 3 years is fair and if Claeys didn't like it he wouldn't have signed it. Claeys gets the chance to prove himself and if things are going well the new AD will almost certainly adjust things to the more traditional # of years and what not.

+19

Some people are really trying to overthink this.

Congrats to Coach Claeys. Now, let's go get us some bacon!!!:pig:

Can't believe they only gave him three years. The U of M just sent a loud clear message to recruits that they don't have any faith in Claeys and want to be able to fire him in the short term.

These are the things that happen when you don't have an AD. The U has once again done everything that it could do to make football success very difficult to achieve.

Players and coaches know if they want Coach Claeys and this staff around long term they have to perform. 3 years is plenty of time. Players just want a chance to prove Claeys is right guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should stick to slower games............like UNO.

Claeys kept us competitive with the #1 team in the nation and nearly beat a very good Michigan team. Definitely deserves a shot.

That's so overplayed and overblown that it's ridiculous. Any coach, at any time, could be gone from the program in the blink of an eye. Do you need a list?

This is true that a coach but be gone at anytime but this also made it a easy pill to swallow from a financial standpoint for the U and a new AD to bring in their guy. A longer term deal with greater financial implications to the department makes it harder for a new AD to come in and make change just for the sake of change and wanting their guy. You make think it is overblown but recruits and coaches talk about short term deals, the age of coaches, etc. being used against them in recruiting. It becomes a liability for them in recruiting.

A 3 year deal does make it tough for recruiting when schools can cast doubt that he will still be here when they finish up their college careers.

This should keep this class and then they have next year to prove they deserve an extension and then future years recruiting classes will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think 3 years is OK, given the circumstances. This is Claeys' first shot to really run the program - not as an interim or a fill-ill when Kill was having health issues. If the Gophers have a good season next year - and a new AD has been hired by then - the contract can easily be extended.

yes, recruits are making a commitment to the coaching staff, but they're also making a commitment to the school. if a player doesn't want to go to MN because Claeys only has a 3-year contract, then he's not really sold on the school.

Can't believe they only gave him three years. The U of M just sent a loud clear message to recruits that they don't have any faith in Claeys and want to be able to fire him in the short term.

These are the things that happen when you don't have an AD. The U has once again done everything that it could do to make football success very difficult to achieve.

Recruits don't give a sh!t about this stuff. They know that no contract is a contract anymore, because that's what they've been taught in their lifetime. Long or short, a contract means nothing. It is a fact of life in today's society, like sunrise and sunset.

Best possible outcome given the circumstances. Clayes knows he's gotta show progress between now and the end of 2016, otherwise the new A.D. will probably want to hire his own guy. Either we get a highly motivated and improved football program, or we get a fresh start after the 2016 season. Now hopefully we bring in a great A.D.

I think 3 years is OK, given the circumstances. This is Claeys' first shot to really run the program - not as an interim or a fill-ill when Kill was having health issues. If the Gophers have a good season next year - and a new AD has been hired by then - the contract can easily be extended. yes, recruits are making a commitment to the coaching staff, but they're also making a commitment to the school. if a player doesn't want to go to MN because Claeys only has a 3-year contract, then he's not really sold on the school.

As much as people advise and tell kids to commit to the school and not the coaching staff. The sad fact is that many many kids commit to the coaches and not the school.

Thank god the U didn't wait this one out.
A few thoughts:
It's really a 3 year deal starting next season.
It's an extension of the Kill program, so recruits should know what to expect.
It does allow JUCO recruits to know the staff will be here for their entire career. The potential for several JUCOs to come in and start in key spots is high, especially on the lines.
The next 2 seasons set up nicely for Claeys to make a run at 8-10 wins both years, which should be good enough to earn a hell of an extension. By then the facilities will be coming through and in state recruiting will have been worked for 7 years by this staff.
All good things moving forward.

Best possible outcome given the circumstances. Clayes knows he's gotta show progress between now and the end of 2016, otherwise the new A.D. will probably want to hire his own guy. Either we get a highly motivated and improved football program, or we get a fresh start after the 2016 season. Now hopefully we bring in a great A.D.

Tend to agree. I've been on the record as saying I didn't want anything overly long term for Claeys, so I think three years is about right. At that point, both the U and Claeys can reassess where the program is at and make an informed decision from there.

Can you name one other school in the B1G that you could guarantee will have the same staff 4 years from now?

+1 With all the coaching changes and the way our staff sticks together one could argue that our staff is the most likely to be the same in 3 years.

When I first heard about this I didn't like it because it's only a 3 year deal and I thought we needed to give him 4 or 5. But realistically this is the best we can do with only having an interim AD. If we gave him a longer deal than it becomes harder to hire a good AD. 3 years brings us some stability, allows the staff to lock in this year's recruiting class, and gives us the chance to compete for the West next year with the schedule we have. If Claeys can win 8+ games next year tear it up and make it a 5 year deal at $2+ million per year.

Can you name one other school in the B1G that you could guarantee will have the same staff 4 years from now?

The only two that strike me as nearly a sure thing are Dantonio at Michigan State and Fitzgerald at Northwestern. Coming into the year Ferentz looked like he might be on thin ice but now he might also be a safe bet to be around for a while given the year they have had.

But yeah, outside of only a couple there are no guarantees of any kind that a staff is going to be around and any recruit that doesn't understand that has not been paying any attention to the coaching landscape. As others have said, when the AD position is solidified, if Claeys is getting it done he will get a nice extension and raise. Claeys knows that and I am sure he also knows that given the circumstances this is a very fair offer for a first time head coach.

Given the circumstances (no AD), this is the exact right thing to do by the U, and the right amount of time for Claeys to prove himself. Well done.

Now let's beat Iowa and/or Wisconsin.

If he can win 3 more games this year, I bet a year is added.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over / Under on how long it will take for first thread to appear demanding a pay raise commensurate with the rest of the Big Ten to retain TC.

I'm picking October 2016

Congrats to Coach C, Goetz, Kaler, and the Regents.

It was 2 weeks ago that Coach K retired. Pulling the trigger within a two week window is just about right.

Now thinking ahead the timing gives the team an added incentive to keep the effort high for the next three games.

Keep the Pig this weekend and coming home for the Illini takes on even more meaning to possibly become bowl eligible.

Looking for a good effort from here.

Top Bottom