Claeys Announces Changes To Staff - Limegrover & Zebrowski are gone per U

There are many people who double dip like that.

Usually on offense it is a QB coach.

The larger problem I have is that the offensive coordinator and the QB should be thinking alike...hard to do when you do not regularly interact with each other during individual time.

Correct. Scott Frost is OC/QB example. Although sounds like he's heading for Syracuse as their next HC so no longer an OC.

OC and DC only doing that is fine, but then they need to figure out how to combine other spots...people seem to forget or ignore the coaching limits per NCAA rule. Is it normal to have a coach that only works with TE/HB? Sawvel doing double duty is possible. Special teams are a factor as well (Kill helped Sawvel some)

I think this hire is someone Claeys likes a lot good recruiter younger .. Or a scheme that he had trouble coaching against they he couldn't figure out. I think this hire is going to be a good one . It will be this week

It has been obvious to all fans that major changes had to be made to the offense. Offensive play calling, offensive line coaching and QB development all were obvious problems. It looks like Kill even knew that changes had to be made with all of the attention he was giving to the offense. QB/passing coach change was a no brainier. We had enough talent on the O-line to compete, but it can't be coached part time. Comments from Limegrove shows that even he felt the O-line was neglected.

Limegrove is saying that his heart is in coaching the line and not an OC. It looks more like it was a mutual agreement that he move on to another O-line job and the U can upgrade to a real OC. I get the feeling that Kill was already planing to move Limegrove back to O-line next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well this sure blows a hole in the "Claeys will keep a successful staff together that has been so, so successful under coach Kill and that Claeys is leading a tight-knit group of coaches who work so well together"

This is not good. If the whole reason of keeping Claeys was continuity because "the staff works so well together" then why not do a national search?

Claeys is no Mark Dantonio.

Don't worry, we're bringing in Lane Kiffin to run the offense.

They play 9 conference games next year so they won't be able to go 4-4. Even going 5-4 without playing Ohio St., Michigan St., or Michigan would be a failure.

Man, you are tough to read most of the time. I often find myself saying "wet blanket" as I read your posts. You are welcome to your opinion, but I wonder if you are such a downer about everything or just Gopher FB? Are you ever happy or optimistic? I can't imagine you get invited to many parties.

Man, you are tough to read most of the time. I often find myself saying "wet blanket" as I read your posts. You are welcome to your opinion, but I wonder if you are such a downer about everything or just Gopher FB? Are you ever happy or optimistic? I can't imagine you get invited to many parties.

I was optimistic coming into the season. I expected the Gophers to compete for and possibly win the west. In Gopher fashion they went 5-7, and have rarely been competitive my entire life. All I want is for the Gophers to approach an Iowa or Wisconsin level. I'm not asking a lot. As I mentioned Iowa just went 12-0, with a similar schedule to what the Gophers will play next year. So I'm supposed to be happy with 8-4 next year?

I wonder if Limey had any animosity towards Claeys when Kill named Claeys acting HC and/or when he was hired as the permanent HC? I have no idea if this was the case but have seen somewhat similar situations in the workplace where two people who were once equals start to clash after one gets promoted over the other. As others have pointed out, some speculated Claeys was hired in large part to keep the gang together so there would be continuity and now this suddenly happens. I'm guessing we'll never know all the details but can't help but wonder if they were not the best of buddies?

I wonder if Limey had any animosity towards Claeys when Kill named Claeys acting HC and/or when he was hired as the permanent HC? I have no idea if this was the case but have seen somewhat similar situations in the workplace where two people who were once equals start to clash after one gets promoted over the other. As others have pointed out, some speculated Claeys was hired in large part to keep the gang together so there would be continuity and now this suddenly happens. I'm guessing we'll never know all the details but can't help but wonder if they were not the best of buddies?

Colleagues are rarely best friends in my personal experience. I would bet quite a lot they are not the best of friends.

Claeyes has even made comments to the effect of " a well run offense doesn't do x or y", comments that could have been take as veiled shots at Limegrover IMHO. The offense has put the defense in tough spots for years.

This is Claeyes ship now and it's going to be really interesting to see how this unfolds.

Colleagues are rarely best friends in my personal experience. I would bet quite a lot they are not the best of friends.

Claeyes has even made comments to the effect of " a well run offense doesn't do x or y", comments that could have been take as veiled shots at Limegrover IMHO. The offense has put the defense in tough spots for years.

This is Claeyes ship now and it's going to be really interesting to see how this unfolds.

How hard is it to spell the man's name correctly?

I think that the best parts of the Kill program will continue.....those being hard work ethic, intensity, accountability, never-say-die
attitude, team-first. I like those. Those are good. I believe Claeys will be every bit as demanding as Kill was in those areas.

If your OC was to double as another coach, O-line likely wouldn't be my choice. The OC typically will be upstairs, while many O-line coaches
feel the need to be on the sideline with their kids. QBs go right to the phone on the sidelines anyways, so a QB coach would be the easiest
to double. TC may be thinking along those lines.

Also, I wonder if TC was a big fan of the offense to begin with. I wonder if, as a DC, he would look at our offense and think, "This is exactly
how I would stop this".

As a DC, he KNOWS the offensive schemes that are hardest to defend, as well as what types of players. In that regard, he is in excellent
position to decide on an offensive scheme. He just needs to be sure we can run it in Minnesota in November.

My guess is he's been developing ideas for a loooong time, and is finally able to implement it. Think about an analogy from music history,
when the Beatles overlooked George Harrison's music for years, and he just kept his ideas to himself, building a body of work, and when
the band disbanded he busted out with a #1 album. Many long time assistants have done this.

My guess is this: Claeys will have his staff in place very soon. He will bring in a decent recruiting class. He will have the power to
implement his own ideas, and new assistants who will think outside the box. It finally got to a point where the ideological inbreeding
that this staff had for so long was predictable for BIG opponents. They could get away with it in the MAC, but not here. TC knows that.

They will push the players hard in the offseason, and they will start to implement any changes in spring ball. By fall camp, they
will be a little further along, but understand....Claeys knows he doesn't have 4 years. He knows he will be judged by the standards
Kill would have been by next season, so whatever he brings in will be for immediate improvement. It won't be a complete overhaul but
some badly needed fine-tuning.

They SHOULD, barring another hideous season of injuries and a better schedule, have a much better season next year. How much
better I'm not sure, but they could be a factor in the West with a few breaks. Not saying they will win it, but they should be in
the race into November. Freshmen will no longer be freshmen, and hopefully they will get separation in their OOC games that will
allow LOTS of kids to play- something missing this past season.

From @ZachJohnsonGI

@MattOConnellGI might be on to something. Maybe TC decided strategy of recruiting athletes and trying to turn them into QB's wasn't working

In the past the #Gophers have tried that with several recruits and failed every time. Maybe Claeys wants a traditional QB who can sling it.

Gosh I hope so. Remember Travis Cole? We got him from JC, he was by no means a major recruit. He could sling it around pretty good and someone like him would help our team a lot right now. When I watch other college football games it seems like we are the only team with these constant QB issues, so I don't think they should be that hard to find.

Texas. Look for QBs in Texas. LOTS of them.

Gosh I hope so. Remember Travis Cole? We got him from JC, he was by no means a major recruit. He could sling it around pretty good and someone like him would help our team a lot right now. When I watch other college football games it seems like we are the only team with these constant QB issues, so I don't think they should be that hard to find.

You didn't watch Wisconsin yesterday?

I will take a cerebral QB with a strong arm, quick release, and good vision any day over a dual threat who can't throw accurately.

I will take a cerebral QB with a strong arm, quick release, and good vision any day over a dual threat who can't throw accurately.
Agreed. You can find other ways to run the ball with RB's and WR's coming across, but if you have a QB that can't pass consistently you're really limiting your offense.

Could not agree more. I feel like we've been saying this for years.

The UW-Eau CLaire HC position is open Coach Z might land there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Limegrover also end up as a HC at a lower level.

He said him and his family liked it here, is there any MIAC teams looking for a HC?..

Let's be honest. It is going to be hard to bring in a quality coordinator to work for a coach on a three year contract and a new AD. Plus, Claeys is limited in connections because he has only worked for Kill and they have had the same staff forever. Look for him to promote someone already on the staff.

I wouldn't be surprised, if Limegrover is let go, I think that a full time Offensive Line coach is needed. I can also see Limegrover disagreeing with that.
Limey was coming into his own after the coaching change, opening things up. I'm surprised, after all the years they've been together, that TC would drop him - although we don't know the dynamics involved. The single worst offensive call was made by TC himself - the QB sneak against Michigan, which the Wolves' DC siganalled he expected.

For those who wonder what Kill is feeling after this, remember that Kill has always prefered Claeys over Limegrover. So I am sure Claeys already told Kill of his intentions, I am also sure Kill said that it was his team and up to him.

Now about what Claeys did... We all knew it had to happen, we just didn't know if it could happen because of their loyalty to each other. As I said in the past, Kill's loyalty would be his undoing, and I am sure that if Kill was still head coach, that Limegrover would still be here. I am glad Claeys can see what issues they have on offense. As it's been stated many times, the plays were probably not designed by Limegrover, nor was he very comfortable being the play caller (as he stated in his interview). We all could see that he was not very imaginative. Add that to OL philosophy and also not being able to utilize the athletes we have on offense... it had to have been very hard for Claeys to do this to Limegrover, but this is something he had to do.

I know Limegrover is a good guy, and I know he worked as hard as he could, but he just wasn't cut out to be an OC. I'm sure Kill pushed him into that role, and of course he isn't going to say no to a 500k salary. It's always seemed like he was over matched against other B10 coaches. Even in practice, the Defense usually had the advantage over the Offense. You also have to wonder about why we seem to get good OL recruits and they just don't seem to pan out. I do hope Limegrover finds a good job somewhere.

In Claeys we trust... for a few more years.

List them

What you just described doesn't exist in high quantities, and are very difficult to find, recruit and get to commit to a university with a track record such as ours.

Reason schools go for the "dual threat" or "no threat" qb's that manage the game and keep the team out of trouble, is because that's easier to find, recruit, and coach against.

Let's be honest. It is going to be hard to bring in a quality coordinator to work for a coach on a three year contract and a new AD. Plus, Claeys is limited in connections because he has only worked for Kill and they have had the same staff forever. Look for him to promote someone already on the staff.
Respectfully disagree. Your first point is valid, but a younger, hungrier FCS coordinator would make the jump. As for the connections, just because you've been on a staff for 20 years, doesn't mean you don't have connections. That's like saying people with steady jobs are automatically worse at networking.

I can't believe you would say something so hateful about Tommy Armstrong.

Top Bottom