Claeys Announces Changes To Staff - Limegrover & Zebrowski are gone per U

I call BS on the "Had it been structured one guy in charge and doing all that, I could've lived with it, I really could have," statement. He could have just as easily demoted Limegrover to OL coach or taken away the OL responsibility. I'm sure he didn't think Lime and Zeb had what it took.

First time I've ever seen DPO admit being wrong. Well done Winnipeg.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

First time I've ever seen DPO admit being wrong. Well done Winnipeg.

Ha, BS. You haven't been paying attention if this is the first time. You probably didn't notice it before because it's quite rare.

You really think the new AD will fire the football coach for going 8-4? We better start REALLY paying our coaches if our expectations are 9-10 wins or bust.

Bob - Thanks for bringing some reality to this blog. I sure don't know how all this is going to play out but it should be interesting. The Chinese use two characters for the concept of chaos. One is danger and the other is opportunity. That what we have now. But the good news is that the Chinese do not have a character for "Gopher Hole" so maybe we are safe.

Tubby Smith in year six vs. Tracy Claeys in year one plus and at minimum 5-4 BT record next year. Yep, not the same.

New AD could certainly blow it up next year, but it wouldn't be justified...unlike the Tubby situation.

Claeys was hired to keep continuity and recruiting intact for the 'Kill program'. Next year is year 6 of the Kill/Claeys program, not year 1. Next year the Gophers play only 3 ranked teams that finished this year's regular season in the top 25 (Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern) compared to playing 6 this year.

8-4 next year, especially if the losses are to Wisconsin and Iowa again, should be looked at as a failure in year 6 of the Kill/Claeys program. At that point a new AD could certainly move in a new direction.

Tubby Smith with 21-13 and made it to the 3rd round of the NCAA and was fired. 8-4 is definitely a fireable season if its headed the wrong direction, especially in this town.

That 21-13 season also included an 8-11 (including BTT) conference record. Poor comparison.

Claeys was hired to keep continuity and recruiting intact for the 'Kill program'. Next year is year 6 of the Kill/Claeys program, not year 1. Next year the Gophers play only 3 ranked teams that finished this year's regular season in the top 25 (Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern) compared to playing 6 this year.

8-4 next year, especially if the losses are to Wisconsin and Iowa again, should be looked at as a failure in year 6 of the Kill/Claeys program. At that point a new AD could certainly move in a new direction.
Maybe at Alabama, but not at Minnesota

That's not how it works. And since when does 2015 rankings matter for 2016 opponent strength? NW and Iowa were terrible last year. A new AD will have plenty on their plate. Firing a football coach who went 8-4 isn't going to be top of list. In addition, the job isn't going to be very appealing with that short of a leash. Claeys is a new hire, and would need an absolute disaster of a year to be fired in year 1. He probably has 3 years if the team is competitive, which 8-4 is more than.

This year we only played 3 teams that finished in the top 25 last season as well. Iowa, Northwestern, and Michigan were not ranked. For all we know, Penn St could be a top 10 team next year. I agree that on paper it looks easy now but who knows.

STOP IT!!!!!!!! Enough Tubby rehash in the BB forum, you should be permanently banned for dragging it into the football discussions!!!!!!

Enough said?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

STOP IT!!!!!!!! Enough Tubby rehash in the BB forum, you should be permanently banned for dragging it into the football discussions!!!!!!

Enough said?

Well technically we could call the Claeys era "Tubby time"..... Dang I feel bad for saying that. I'll just claim it slipped out.

Tubby Smith in year six vs. Tracy Claeys in year one plus and at minimum 5-4 BT record next year. Yep, not the same.

New AD could certainly blow it up next year, but it wouldn't be justified...unlike the Tubby situation.

Please don't call the round of 32 the third round. Even the NCAA realized what a farce that was.*

*Not making a comment on Tubby either way.

Going 8-4 (5-4 in the Big 10) is a better season than Tubby's 21-13 season. That year we were 8-10 in the Big 10. Tubby never went over .500 in the Big 10, it's a big difference.

If Claeys goes 8-4 next season, he gets an extension, not fired.

Ya, perfect analogy. Tubby didn't exactly complete his first season. And, by the way, how in the heck would 8-4 be headed in the wrong direction after this season?

Can I just clarify/retract/restate that I don't think it's a reason to fire him, I'm just saying its "fireable" given what we (and many other schools) have done before. I can see Claeys getting canned with an 8-4 season where he has embarassing losses against rivals and perhaps a gaff or two in there, throw in a new AD looking for his guy.... Like I said "Especially in this town".

Enough said?

Sorry, I thought this board could use some more topics to banter about, not a lot of action lately ;). I did just chastised the BB board on bringing Tubby into all the discussions. But in my defense, I do think my description of Tubby being fired after having a "successful year" is quite relevant in the conversation in which we could interpret a 8-4 season in a multitude of ways.

That's not how it works. And since when does 2015 rankings matter for 2016 opponent strength? NW and Iowa were terrible last year. A new AD will have plenty on their plate. Firing a football coach who went 8-4 isn't going to be top of list. In addition, the job isn't going to be very appealing with that short of a leash. Claeys is a new hire, and would need an absolute disaster of a year to be fired in year 1. He probably has 3 years if the team is competitive, which 8-4 is more than.

It's not a short leash. Next year will be Claeys 6th year at the University of Minnesota. He has been the top paid assistant at this school for 5 years, and heavily involved in recruiting. These are his players too, not just Kill's. He's not starting over.

As others mentioned before Claeys was hired full time, if this coaching search was opened up nationally, would Claeys have been the choice? Likely not. He was hired as the only in house prospect to keep continuity. This is not a new coach inheriting someone else's players. Currently the Kill/Claeys era is 15-25 in the B1G. If the Gophers go 5-4 next year, that's 20-29 over 6 years. Is that good enough?

It's not a short leash. Next year will be Claeys 6th year at the University of Minnesota. He has been the top paid assistant at this school for 5 years, and heavily involved in recruiting. These are his players too, not just Kill's. He's not starting over.

As others mentioned before Claeys was hired full time, if this coaching search was opened up nationally, would Claeys have been the choice? Likely not. He was hired as the only in house prospect to keep continuity. This is not a new coach inheriting someone else's players. Currently the Kill/Claeys era is 15-25 in the B1G. If the Gophers go 5-4 next year, that's 20-29 over 6 years. Is that good enough?

This happens at tons of jobs every day. People get hired from within who would not have gotten a second look as an external candidate.

Going 5-4 is good enough to not get fired from the U of MN. Absolutely, 100%.

Doogie said he got the same response so I don't think it was only because it was Reusse.

It may not have been because it was Reusse, but I'm guessing it was because it was Doogie.

Claeys Announces Changes To Staff - Limegrover &amp; Zebrowski are gone per U

[/QUOTE]Sorry, I thought this board could use some more topics to banter about, not a lot of action lately ;). I did just chastised the BB board on bringing Tubby into all the discussions. But in my defense, I do think my description of Tubby being fired after having a "successful year" is quite relevant in the conversation in which we could interpret a 8-4 season in a multitude of ways.[/QUOTE]

Please stop. If we want to reflect on Tubby we can just read most every thread on the BB site. Someone is bound to bring him up no matter the topic.

We're breaking down scenarios in which Claeys would be fired after next year? Really? We have OC and QB coaches to hire, a possible bowl, signing day 2 months away, the trio tweeting about Seth Green and other recruits, and we're gonna focus on what kind of record it would take for Claeys to be canned from his first HC gig. Unreal

We're breaking down scenarios in which Claeys would be fired after next year? Really? We have OC and QB coaches to hire, a possible bowl, signing day 2 months away, the trio tweeting about Seth Green and other recruits, and we're gonna focus on what kind of record it would take for Claeys to be canned from his first HC gig. Unreal
Right on dtrain19

It is ridiculous.

It is ridiculous.

I don't think there is really any debate about it. It's been derailed by the causal mention of a certain someone to be unammed by a particular someone who is sorry, so deeply sorry.

I call BS on the "Had it been structured one guy in charge and doing all that, I could've lived with it, I really could have," statement. He could have just as easily demoted Limegrover to OL coach or taken away the OL responsibility. I'm sure he didn't think Lime and Zeb had what it took.

Bingo. That's the obvious deduction. Amazes me no reporter asks those questions? It's so damn obvious. Just a nice way of parting ways. But so obvious it's because Claey's doesn't think Limegrover is good enough for either position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo. That's the obvious deduction. Amazes me no reporter asks those questions? It's so damn obvious. Just a nice way of parting ways. But so obvious it's because Claey's doesn't think Limegrover is good enough for either position.

My guess is that it is the scenario.

However, it is rare that a coach gets demoted at the same university. It's an awkward situation. It happens, but it's rare. I would guess you're right though, Claeys doesn't think Limey is a good fit.

Also possible that Claeys knew or felt that Limegrover would have trouble taking a demotion and answering to an Offensive Coordinator. Better to cut him loose now so he he can look for a job before the new hiring rounds begin.

Top Bottom