Claeys Announces Changes To Staff - Limegrover & Zebrowski are gone per U

This is a gutsy decision by Coach Claeys. He is on a short contract and now wants to change the offensive identity. If he plans a significant change, it will be interesting to see how quickly it can be implemented. I hope we aren't in the middle of next season hearing "it will take some time for this new offensive plan to come together". The schedule is very favorable next year and I hope the Gophers don't miss a window of opportunity with offensive strategy transition issues.

Yeah, this is what is surprising for me.

He really has two seasons. He won't be coaching on that last year of his contract.

We will have a "new system" where we will have to recruit players that fit the system and all of that.

I'm not even saying it was a bad decision, it's just gutsy for Claeys.

I'm not expecting major philosophy change

So (not sure if someone else mentioned this) could it be the MAIN reason we are letting Limegrover go is simply because Claeys wants a COMPLETELY different Offensive scheme going forward? Something Limegrover is not familiar with, and certainly couldn't go to a few summer camps and pick up, so there was little choice. I'm not as excited as many on here are. One of the best things we had goin was continuity, and that's gone now.

Not really looking forward to the bumps and bruises installing a new scheme will undoubtedly bring. But it is exciting

Zebrowski's UMN resume consists of:

1. Marqueis Gray
2. Max Shortell
3. Phil Nelson
5. Mitch Leidner
4. Chris Streveler

Not a good look. You could say he didn't have much to work with, but 5 years is 5 years.

You could say he didn't have much to work with.
You could also say he had 2 HS All-American QBs to work with.

QB recruit Tony Poljan decommits from Gophers after firings.....

I thought Limegrover had done better since Kill stepped down, but doing double duty as both coordinator and position coach had to be grueling. Someone posted Zebrowski's pupils and if they graded him the way they want to grade teachers throughout Minnesota on their pupils' test scores, Zebrowski would be undergoing extensive staff development.

As MikeAZ posted, with all the coaching changes taking place throughout the country, there's a ton of guys looking for work. I don't know if I necessarily want to go back to as extreme a zone-blocking scheme as Mason used. Everyone zone blocks to some extent and one of the problems I saw in the Mason era is that we had guys running all over the place between the 10 yard lines, but when it came to straight-on power football, we often got manhandled. I think we just have to get stronger across the line and that means developing guys both in terms of size and technique. I'm surprised that Eric Klein hasn't come under greater scrutiny because I just don't see this team as that physically imposing.

If you're going to run the read option, the QB has to be more of a home run threat than Leidner is. Leidner is a really tough kid with inconsistent passing mechanics, but he's not exactly what I'd call nimble. When he gets up a head of steam you can almost see the opposing DBs wonder if they should get in his way, but he doesn't work that well in tight spaces (that footwork thing again) and I think to be consistently successful in the read option, that has to be there.

Really curious to see where this goes.

If we want to continue the tradition of large coordinators...I would nominate Ralph Friedgen

So (not sure if someone else mentioned this) could it be the MAIN reason we are letting Limegrover go is simply because Claeys wants a COMPLETELY different Offensive scheme going forward? Something Limegrover is not familiar with, and certainly couldn't go to a few summer camps and pick up, so there was little choice. I'm not as excited as many on here are. One of the best things we had goin was continuity, and that's gone now.

Not really looking forward to the bumps and bruises installing a new scheme will undoubtedly bring. But it is exciting
Another one of the many mysteries of this whole thing. IMO, Claeys wants more of a spread look -- or at least more creativity. Since he took over, he's constantly harped on the need to "get playmakers the ball in space." I'd say that's the exact antithesis of what we've seen on O the past 5 years. There's so many systems now you can't have a definitively "right" answer, but the head coach gets what he wants.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I've always thought that Limegrover being OC & OL coach was a bit too much. My first inclination was that they'd hire an OL coach and Limegrover will be the full time OC.

Claeys being an X & O guy would not stand for the offense being in the back half of D1 football and accept the status quo if his job depends on it.

Letting long time assistants that you've worked with your whole career is a gutsy call, but this is the perfect time to execute it. He is doing Limey & Zebrowski a favor with a jump start on job searching. I wish them both the best of luck.

The short term ramifications is we'll probably lost some recruits.

We need an infusion on offense. I just thought maybe tweaking the staff a little with additions will be the route he takes in deference to his relationship with Kill and his hope of keeping the loyal staff together.

D1 football is less forgiving than MAC. As echoed repeatedly, Claeys knows this is his shot at long term D1 coaching. He needs a revamped exciting productive offense to give the Gophers any chance against the Iowas, Wisconsins, and Nebraskas of B1G and beyond. The status quo will forever relegate them them to the bottom tier of B1G.

Claeys wants to win, and soon. I wholeheartedly support him in his decision good or bad. Only time will tell.

I'm not expecting major philosophy change

Got to agree, this is simply a performance move. Z and Limey weren't cutting it (see end of michigan game). We will still pound the rock with Brooks and Smith with some hopefully more developed passing if mitch can figure out his delivery to not release so high.

Yes, unless Claeys has a huge 2016, Goetz is the only chance he has to keep the job. He has to shoot for the moon his way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you cool with Sawvel pulling double duty as the DC and DB coach?

I hope Sawvel and Claeys promote someone to being a DB coach. In major college football, I don't understand the need for coaches to pull double-duty. I realize it's probably a salary thing.

Yes, unless Claeys has a huge 2016, Goetz is the only chance he has to keep the job. He has to shoot for the moon his way.

What's your definition of a huge 2016?

If he goes 8-4, his job should be 100% safe.

Yeah, I can't figure out why everyone thinks the OC can't coach a position as well. I'd venture to guess they do more often than not.

There are many people who double dip like that.

Usually on offense it is a QB coach.

The larger problem I have is that the offensive coordinator and the QB should be thinking alike...hard to do when you do not regularly interact with each other during individual time.

I hope Sawvel and Claeys promote someone to being a DB coach. In major college football, I don't understand the need for coaches to pull double-duty. I realize it's probably a salary thing.

No, it's a rules thing. You're only allowed 9 assistant coaches.

What's your definition of a huge 2016?

If he goes 8-4, his job should be 100% safe.

4-4 in Big Ten won't cut it with a new AD. I don't know if that's fair, but it's likely reality.

4-4 in Big Ten won't cut it with a new AD. I don't know if that's fair, but it's likely reality.

They play 9 conference games next year so they won't be able to go 4-4. Even going 5-4 without playing Ohio St., Michigan St., or Michigan would be a failure.

You really think the new AD will fire the football coach for going 8-4? We better start REALLY paying our coaches if our expectations are 9-10 wins or bust.

Coaches loyalty was to Kill and vice versa. It is not uncommon for coaches on the opposite side of the ball to not like one another or agree with their coaching style o acumen.

They play 9 conference games next year so they won't be able to go 4-4. Even going 5-4 without playing Ohio St., Michigan St., or Michigan would be a failure.

Pure silliness. You do know the past 40 year history of gopher football, right?

From @ZachJohnsonGI

@MattOConnellGI might be on to something. Maybe TC decided strategy of recruiting athletes and trying to turn them into QB's wasn't working

In the past the #Gophers have tried that with several recruits and failed every time. Maybe Claeys wants a traditional QB who can sling it.

From Yahoo! Sports.....Maybe its nothing more than this:

"Minnesota, which finished the season at 5-7 after losing to Wisconsin on Saturday, was No. 103 out of 127 FBS teams in total offense (357.1 yards per game) and No. 104 nationally in scoring offense (22.6 points per game)."

Wanted! Gunslinger! Must be able to pass to a range of targets and distances. Mobility a plus but not required.

From Yahoo! Sports.....Maybe its nothing more than this:

"Minnesota, which finished the season at 5-7 after losing to Wisconsin on Saturday, was No. 103 out of 127 FBS teams in total offense (357.1 yards per game) and No. 104 nationally in scoring offense (22.6 points per game)."
It shouldnt be any more complicated than that.

The fact that it is, is our own undoing.

From @ZachJohnsonGI

@MattOConnellGI might be on to something. Maybe TC decided strategy of recruiting athletes and trying to turn them into QB's wasn't working

In the past the #Gophers have tried that with several recruits and failed every time. Maybe Claeys wants a traditional QB who can sling it.

This isn't accurate, though. Every QB for the Gophers under Kill was also a QB in HS.

Pure silliness. You do know the past 40 year history of gopher football, right?

Right. So we should just be happy with being mediocre or bad? Iowa went 12-0 this year with a very similar schedule. The Gophers shouldn't strive to be similar to Iowa/Wisconsin? That's why Claeys was hired, to keep the upward trajectory Kill was on until this year. Not to continue to take steps backward.

Top Bottom