CFP

Here's a brain teaser. If Michigan loses tonight, does the CFP pick ND over Michigan even though both had 1 regular season loss with Michigan having a much stronger schedule?

(I'm not gonna go back and read the first 4 pages of this thread to see if this has been addressed already)
Yes.

Also pretty sure Ohio state puts up 50 against Georgia, maybe even alabama

GA had four Top 25 wins this season, including 2 Top ten wins bro

Those teams finished 9-3, 9-3, 8-4, and 6-6, and those rankings were bolstered because it was Clemson, and 3 other SEC teams. Their best win finished the season ranked 20.

Those teams finished 9-3, 9-3, 8-4, and 6-6, and those rankings were bolstered because it was Clemson, and 3 other SEC teams. Their best win finished the season ranked 20.
It is what it is bro and that’s where they were ranked at the time GA beat them 🎸💯

but your one loss is to the best team in the country!
And Bama has 2 losses if the stupid Auburn running back doesn't run out of bounds last week in the last 2 minutes saving Bama a time out. Bama looked horrible against Auburn and should have lost.

Nice edit....it matters far more where those teams finish. Auburn isn't the 18th best team in the country. They are 6-6.
You say potatoe I say potato.
You say don’t sign Buck, I say sign him.
Life is more fun when not everyone agrees with u, in my experience.

GA had four Top 25 wins this season, including 2 Top ten wins bro

In the CFP era, the way wins are evaluated is based on where those teams end up. Clemson, Auburn, Arkansas didn't have particularly impressive seasons. Georgia's best win is probably Kentucky. IMO that's not a CFP type schedule.

In the CFP era, the way wins are evaluated is based on where those teams end up. Clemson, Auburn, Arkansas didn't have particularly impressive seasons. Georgia's best win is probably Kentucky. IMO that's not a CFP type schedule.
It’s impossible IMO to think that those wins aren’t factored in regardless of what “the Rulez” say - they obvious affect their ranking till we get to the initial CFP rankings, so they do impact their rankingand perception of the team. Nd media coverage the receive at that juncture.Is the SEC over rated to some degree, yes, however they also is the best conference in football on a regular basis; those 2 aren’t mutually exclusive.

I’d much rather watch most SEC games vs. B10 (non-Gopher games) any day of the week and twice on Saturday.

the best conference likely will get 2 teams in, the answer is expand to 8 or 12 teams and maybe drop one non-conference game.

Last edited:

You say potatoe I say potato.
You say don’t sign Buck, I say sign him.
Life is more fun when not everyone agrees with u, in my experience.
Disagreements are fine, but being wrong is being wrong. You are wrong here.

And I said don’t sign Buxton for 20+ million. I’m fine with the contract he signed.

It’s impossible IMO to think that those wins aren’t factored in regardless of what “the Rulez” say - they obvious affect their ranking till we get to the initial CFP rankings, so they do impact their rankingand perception of the team. Nd media coverage the receive at that juncture.Is the SEC over rated to some degree, yes, however they also is the best conference in football on a regular basis; those 2 aren’t mutually exclusive.

I’d much rather watch most SEC games vs. B10 (non-Gopher games) and day if the week and twice on Saturday.

the best conference likely will get 2 teams in, the answer is expand to 8 or 12 teams a and maybe drop one non-conference game.
Love watching SEC football.

So you’d give Iowa a lot of credit for beating a #17 Indiana team even though Indiana ended up going 2-10?
Not really, his statement was so over the top,I thought I’d send a cold front his way. FWIW, I expounded on my view of the SEC in post #163 - it is nuanced to me.

Love watching SEC football.
Honestly, I choose to watch Big 12 or Sun Belt football over non-Gopher B1G games. Hell, last nights CUSA championship game and the FCS playoff game between Montana and EWU were both much more entertaining than most B1G games.

1. Alabama
2. Michigan
3. Cincinnati
4. Georgia
5. Notre Dame
6. Baylor
7. Ohio State
8. Mississippi
9. Michigan State
10. Utah
11. Pittsburgh
12. BYU

I suppose Georgia had two top ten victories as well… beating Clemson and Arkansas…
Do they go by the ranking at the time or what they ended the season at?

1. Alabama
2. Michigan
3. Cincinnati
4. Georgia
5. Notre Dame
6. Baylor
7. Ohio State
8. Mississippi
9. Michigan State
10. Utah
11. Pittsburgh
12. BYU
Probably because of the (ridiculous) bias to not have a rematch in the semi final it won't shake out like this. I'd expect the committee to match bama and cinci in game 1 and Mich and Georgia in game 2.

Probably because of the (ridiculous) bias to not have a rematch in the semi final it won't shake out like this. I'd expect the committee to match bama and cinci in game 1 and Mich and Georgia I in game 2.
I think Michigan should be #1 as they were #2 last week.

I think Michigan should be #1 as they were #2 last week.
But #3 beat #1.
#2 beat … … iowa.
Besides, I think anyone on the committee not affiliated with the SEC will just give them the one team, then make them fight like hell for the second. Maybe Georgia beats out ND for #4 only after a good hour of negotiations.

The TV people all said the committee will rig it to avoid a rematch. Not sure why the committee should care though.

But #3 beat #1.
#2 beat … … iowa.
Besides, I think anyone on the committee not affiliated with the SEC will just give them the one team, then make them fight like hell for the second. Maybe Georgia beats out ND for #4 only after a good hour of negotiations.

The TV people all said the committee will rig it to avoid a rematch. Not sure why the committee should care though.
Good points. It’s an imperfect system for a sport we’re all passionate about. Need to go to 8 and that should help matters hopefully. Its still loads better than the BCS era😃

After watching the games yesterday I can say I’m still firmly in the 4+1 playoff camp and no more. I wouldn’t want to see more blowouts by any means. Exciting for fans of one team and not the other and not for casual fans who aren’t fans of a particular school.

Just announced. #Alabama vs. #4 Cincinnati and #2 Michigan vs. #3 Georgia

And there's still 3hrs and 16m of show left. Followed by a ANOTHER 3 hour show.

College Football on ESPN

10m ·

THE CFP STAGE IS SET
🏆

No. 1 Alabama Football vs. No. 4 Cincinnati Bearcats Football
No. 2 Michigan Football vs. No. 3 Georgia Football

Last edited:

Top Bottom