CFP

Th SEC has power with ESPN, the network that pumps them up And makes money off their network.

Remember that little item with the ACC, B1G and PAC12 back a month ago? They formed a conference alliance that has significantly more voting impact than the SEC. They relegated the sec to a regional conference compared to the National Alliance.
And they aren’t allowed to call themselves a voting bloc because it would be collusion. But they are a voting bloc and a negotiating entity

It seems the commissioners are meeting now on this if the article is correct.

Gee I wonder which schools would be against this. Having to play important games outside their area? Inconceivable
First-round games are expected to be on the campus of the high seeds, despite some leagues pushing back on that item for weather-related issues.

Gee I wonder which schools would be against this. Having to play important games outside their area? Inconceivable
Would be fun! To see The second place SEC team play in some real weather.

But I still think that all FBS conference champions should get an auto bid. If that means UTSA gets waxed in the first round, so be it.
But why?

You’re basically proposing that the powers of college football give a program like UTSA (that maybe represents .001% of the value of FBS Football) about 2% of all of its post-season attention.

I would rather see Minnesota (or even our rivals) get a chance to upset Georgia than UTSA. And MN beat 7x as many teams that actually matter than UTSA so they are vastly more deserving.

But why?

You’re basically proposing that the powers of college football give a program like UTSA (that maybe represents .001% of the value of FBS Football) about 2% of all of its post-season attention.

I would rather see Minnesota (or even our rivals) get a chance to upset Georgia than UTSA. And MN beat 7x as many teams that actually matter than UTSA so they are vastly more deserving.
Just totally disagree. That's what makes sports fun - watching David vs Goliath. It's why March Madness is so watchable. So what if the 3rd place team in a major conference gets left out. Too bad. Win more games.

But why?

With automatic bids the value of the regular season games increases
With all at larges and 8-4 teams from power conferences making the playoff the value of the regular season decreases.

But why?

The two previous posts sum it up pretty well.

In the case of (2):

The subcommittee’s proposal gives automatic access to the six highest-ranked conference champions. Each format completes the field with six at-large selections based on rankings.

This could absolutely result in multiple G5 auto bids. It would have happened last season.

That season, the Pac-12 champion, Oregon, would have been surpassed by two Group of 5 champions (Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina).
Apologies, where I said (1) vs (2), I meant to say (2) vs (3).

(3) is the most reasonable one (5 P5 autos + 1 auto for the highest ranked G5 champion). I suspect they go with this.

I agree. Didn't the BCS have some kind of actual formula?
The formula was 2/3rd subjective polls, the AP poll and the Coaches' Poll. Then 1/3rd was an average of a bunch of computer rankings.

No reason to let media people or coaches pick the playoff, and no reason to leave it in the hands of a complex computer model that can do wacky things.

They got it right with the committee.

SEC teams never have to play in cold, because most P5 teams don't schedule non-conf away games late in the season or at all.

Clearly the ones worried about that.

Personally though, I don't like the idea of doing the first round on-campus.

Would rather see them be bowl games.

BUT, none of the big bowls want to move away from around the NYD +/- a couple days timeframe, which the first round would almost certainly have to be before that, with the four semi-final games then on that NYD time frame.

So it's probably on-campus, which is easiest by far, or bid out to neutral sites, which could make sense but would bring more complexity into it than is probably warranted.

Don't think they're going to make the first round be low-end bowl games, and don't think the bigger bowls will be willing to completely change their time frames away from traditional slots.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-unable-decide-expansion-talks-resume-january

The CFP's board of managers were unable to agree on an expanded format and instead will meet again in January at the national championship game in Indianapolis. Wednesday's meeting was the group's sixth in-person gathering since the CFP announced on June 10 it was considering a 12-team proposal; that includes two meetings in Chicago and four more here in Texas.

Now another meeting looms in Indianapolis, where the 11 presidents and chancellors who make up the CFP's management committee and have the ultimate authority to change the format, will also meet.

"I am prepared to head a direction," SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said. "Others are not. ... At some point we have to make decisions. I came here ready to make a decision, but I understand the need to do some more work, so I'll respect my colleagues in that regard."

If the playoff is going to expand in time for the 2024 season, CFP executive director Bill Hancock has said repeatedly that a decision needs to be made by January. There would have to be unanimous agreement to change the format under the current contract because all 11 members of the board of managers signed the current deal, along with the CFP, ESPN and the bowls.

If the playoff doesn't expand until 2026, though, the commissioners have a blank slate and a new contractual agreement to work with that wouldn't necessarily require unanimity.

"I'll let Craig speak for himself," Sankey said. "I was part of a group that brought forward a recommendation of six conference champions and the six best remaining teams. Or I can stay at four."

The Catch 22 is that even without a unanimous vote, enough of the 10 FBS conferences would have to agree on it in order to have participation, and it certainly wouldn't happen if Sankey didn't agree to it. There simply won't be a playoff that doesn't include his league, which is set to become the first 16-team superconference when Texas and Oklahoma join in July 2025.

So if the commissioners can't come to a consensus within the current contract, it could get much easier in the next one for a majority of them to force the hands of others, though nobody would ever say that publicly.

While many in the room have grown weary of the discussions, they also said they felt incremental progress continues to be made. The issue of automatic qualifiers and the entire format remain sticking points.

The group discussed the potential expansion impacts from a global perspective and tried to address concerns about what a larger field could do to the entire sport. They pondered everything from potentially increased roster sizes to starting the season earlier to allow for two byes, but then wondered how that would impact the summer. There's also consideration to start the playoff further into December to allow the players a significant break after their conference championship games. The health and safety of the athletes remains an issue, but all of those things are secondary to figuring out what the field will look like and how it should be determined.

"The biggest thing right now is format," one source in the room said.

Concerns still linger about how the New Year's Six bowls, particularly the Rose Bowl, would be impacted, but another issue at the heart of the debate remains pushback for a model that includes automatic bids for the Power Five conference champions plus one more champion.

SEC is 100% in the driver's seat here.

Playoff simply won't expand past 4, within this contract (through 2025 season), if they don't get their way.

And there will be no ganging up on them in the new contract. They'll simply take their ball and start their own playoff. Maybe it will come to that ... interesting time ahead!

The group discussed the potential expansion impacts from a global perspective and tried to address concerns about what a larger field could do to the entire sport. They pondered everything from potentially increased roster sizes to starting the season earlier to allow for two byes, but then wondered how that would impact the summer. There's also consideration to start the playoff further into December to allow the players a significant break after their conference championship games. The health and safety of the athletes remains an issue, but all of those things are secondary to figuring out what the field will look like and how it should be determined.
This is a load of crap. The FCS has a 24 team playoff, starting in early December and ending on January 8. Nobody is fretting about the health and safety of those guys. If a team that doesn't get a first round bye goes to the championship, they will have played 15 games.

As it stands now and a view of how many things would be up for debate for Sunday's CFP standings.

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Alabama
4. Cincinnati

12. Pitt/Wake Forest at 5. Oklahoma State, Winner plays Cincinnati
11. Michigan State at 6. Notre Dame, Winner plays Alabama
10. Oregon at 7. Ohio State, Winner plays Michigan
9. Baylor at 8. Ole Miss, Winner gets Georgia.

Factoring Games: Does Oklahoma jump over Baylor with a Baylor Loss? Can Oklahoma jump BYU if neither plays a game? If Iowa Wins, it would potentially bump MSU out. Utah could jump in with win an knock Oregon out. If it's the Highest G5 Champ, Cinci would have a ton of pressure to win and would they drop out of top 12 teams if they lost?

12 team playoff would have ton of drama with Conference champs getting auto bid.

If it's the Highest G5 Champ, Cinci would have a ton of pressure to win and would they drop out of top 12 teams if they lost?

12 team playoff would have ton of drama with Conference champs getting auto bid.
Who would then be the highest ranked G5 champion? Houston? SDSU?

Who would then be the highest ranked G5 champion? Houston? SDSU?
Good question-

SDSU would have win over Utah the potential PAC12 Champ
Houston would have a best win over Cinci.

I'd go SDSU with direct win over a playoff team if it's UTAH

SEC is 100% in the driver's seat here.

Playoff simply won't expand past 4, within this contract (through 2025 season), if they don't get their way.

And there will be no ganging up on them in the new contract. They'll simply take their ball and start their own playoff. Maybe it will come to that ... interesting time ahead!
So I don't have to read, what is their way? No Auto bids?

So I don't have to read, what is their way? No Auto bids?
Sankey (SEC commish) was on the sub-committee that put the original recommendation forward: 12 teams, 6 top ranked conf champs, and 6 at-large.

SEC knows its champ is always going to be top 6 ranked, and main concern is getting as many teams in the playoff as possible. 12 with 6 at-large, does that. 8 doesn't get it done.

So it wouldn't really matter to them (or probably the Big Ten), if it's six highest ranked conf champs, or 5 auto-bids to P5 + 1 for highest G5.

But that could matter a great deal to confs like PAC, ACC, and Big XII. They could in theory miss out, without the auto. Think about ACC this year, if Pitt and WF look sloppy, and both Cincy and say San Diego St look great. Not that far off, that ACC champ is out.

Naturally, G5 want to maximize their opportunities, so they like highest six.

I'm not sure what the gamesmanship is around 8. Don't see where 8 really does something for anyone, vs 12. Rather, perhaps some people feel a bit stinky that SEC put the 12 on, then expanded to 16 teams.

Maybe they smell a rat? Not sure, but that's a non-starter for the rest of this contract. 12 or 4.

For the next contract, if they try to gang up on the SEC and force 8 .... then I really think the SEC could walk away. Seems silly, but we'll see.

I think it would be wrong for a P5 conference to not make the playoff. There has to be auto-bids.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-unable-decide-expansion-talks-resume-january

The CFP's board of managers were unable to agree on an expanded format and instead will meet again in January at the national championship game in Indianapolis. Wednesday's meeting was the group's sixth in-person gathering since the CFP announced on June 10 it was considering a 12-team proposal; that includes two meetings in Chicago and four more here in Texas.

Now another meeting looms in Indianapolis, where the 11 presidents and chancellors who make up the CFP's management committee and have the ultimate authority to change the format, will also meet.

"I am prepared to head a direction," SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said. "Others are not. ... At some point we have to make decisions. I came here ready to make a decision, but I understand the need to do some more work, so I'll respect my colleagues in that regard."

If the playoff is going to expand in time for the 2024 season, CFP executive director Bill Hancock has said repeatedly that a decision needs to be made by January. There would have to be unanimous agreement to change the format under the current contract because all 11 members of the board of managers signed the current deal, along with the CFP, ESPN and the bowls.

If the playoff doesn't expand until 2026, though, the commissioners have a blank slate and a new contractual agreement to work with that wouldn't necessarily require unanimity.

"I'll let Craig speak for himself," Sankey said. "I was part of a group that brought forward a recommendation of six conference champions and the six best remaining teams. Or I can stay at four."

The Catch 22 is that even without a unanimous vote, enough of the 10 FBS conferences would have to agree on it in order to have participation, and it certainly wouldn't happen if Sankey didn't agree to it. There simply won't be a playoff that doesn't include his league, which is set to become the first 16-team superconference when Texas and Oklahoma join in July 2025.

So if the commissioners can't come to a consensus within the current contract, it could get much easier in the next one for a majority of them to force the hands of others, though nobody would ever say that publicly.

While many in the room have grown weary of the discussions, they also said they felt incremental progress continues to be made. The issue of automatic qualifiers and the entire format remain sticking points.

"The biggest thing right now is format," one source in the room said.

Concerns still linger about how the New Year's Six bowls, particularly the Rose Bowl, would be impacted, but another issue at the heart of the debate remains pushback for a model that includes automatic bids for the Power Five conference champions plus one more champion.
You cut out the paragraph from the guy who said 8 is still on the table, who Sankey was referring to.

You cut out the paragraph from the guy who said 8 is still on the table, who Sankey was referring to.
But if you read the thing, it says to change it now they have to be unanimous, and Sankey is firm No on 8.

So its 12 or 4, now. If they stay at 4, then try to force 8 on the new contract, really wonder if the SEC walks away ...

Don't think they let that happen.

They mentioned this on GameDay. What if Georgia beats Alabama, Iowa beats Michigan, Houston beats Cinci, and Baylor beats Oklahoma St? Georgia is in of course, Notre Dame is probably comfortably in also. After that who knows.

As it stands now and a view of how many things would be up for debate for Sunday's CFP standings.

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Alabama
4. Cincinnati

12. Pitt/Wake Forest at 5. Oklahoma State, Winner plays Cincinnati
11. Michigan State at 6. Notre Dame, Winner plays Alabama
10. Oregon at 7. Ohio State, Winner plays Michigan
9. Baylor at 8. Ole Miss, Winner gets Georgia.

Factoring Games: Does Oklahoma jump over Baylor with a Baylor Loss? Can Oklahoma jump BYU if neither plays a game? If Iowa Wins, it would potentially bump MSU out. Utah could jump in with win an knock Oregon out. If it's the Highest G5 Champ, Cinci would have a ton of pressure to win and would they drop out of top 12 teams if they lost?

“Does Oklahoma jump Baylor with a Baylor loss?” is the exact reason why conferences should keep divisions and not go 1 vs 2

Automatic bids for G5s do not increase the value of regular season P5 games. So, no.
A 12 team playoff with 6 auto bids and 6 at largest makes almost every game in the country more valuable

A 12 team playoff with 12 at larges makes every power 5 game between the two top teams in the conference less valuable

Conference champions being auto bids means the following games were more important to the playoff

just it the last week of the big ten.
Purdue indiana
Iowa Nebraska
Minnesota northwestern
Ohio state Michigan (in a 12 team playoff they are both in regardless of big ten title game)
Minnesota wisconsin

Michigan state Penn state probably less valuable with auto bids as Michigan state could maybe still get in without an auto bid

A 12 team playoff with 6 auto bids and 6 at largest makes almost every game in the country more valuable

A 12 team playoff with 12 at larges makes every power 5 game between the two top teams in the conference less valuable
A CFP with auto-bids for the (soon to be) P4 champions, and one additional conference champion (usually the Big 12, but sometimes the AAC or Mountain West) makes sense.

What makes no sense is CFP auto-bids for conferences being dominated by programs that no one cares about and didnt even exist a few years ago (CUSA, Sun Belt), or any other G5 conference for that matter.

If Mich, AL, Cincinnati, and Oklahoma State win today, how could the CFP rankings be anything other than this?
  1. Alabama
  2. Georgia (or MI)
  3. Michigan (or GA)
  4. OK State
  5. Cincinnati
  6. Notre Dame

Top Bottom