CFP

A CFP with auto-bids for the (soon to be) P4 champions, and one additional conference champion (usually the Big 12, but sometimes the AAC or Mountain West) makes sense.

What makes no sense is CFP auto-bids for conferences being dominated by programs that no one cares about and didnt even exist a few years ago (CUSA, Sun Belt), or any other G5 conference for that matter.
AAC champ and big 12 champ both better than both the ACC champ and pac 12 champ this year

I would like to see auto bids for any outright conference champ in the top 20 and fill in the rest at large

Could be 4 auto bids one year and 9 another year.

But no team outside the top 20 ever in.
No team unbeaten ever left out

AAC champ and big 12 champ both better than both the ACC champ and pac 12 champ this year
Yet that’s the whole point of an auto-bid for a conference. It’s a reward for playing and winning a major conference. It is the opposite of an at-large bid for a highly-ranked non-P4/P5 champion.

Yet that’s the whole point of an auto-bid for a conference. It’s a reward for playing and winning a major conference. It is the opposite of an at-large bid for a highly-ranked non-P4/P5 champion.
I mean if UTSA was 13-0 I’d rather see them in the playoff than Michigan state or ole miss

I mean if UTSA was 13-0 I’d rather see them in the playoff than Michigan state or ole miss
Exactly. Plus, they're a really fun team to watch.

Last edited:

A CFP with auto-bids for the (soon to be) P4 champions, and one additional conference champion (usually the Big 12, but sometimes the AAC or Mountain West) makes sense.

What makes no sense is CFP auto-bids for conferences being dominated by programs that no one cares about and didnt even exist a few years ago (CUSA, Sun Belt), or any other G5 conference for that matter.
The Big 12 will remain a P5 conference. Look at the overall records of the incoming teams this year. And 3 of the 4 are top 25 teams this year. Those four are good programs.

And just because YOU don't care about certain teams doesn't mean they aren't deserving of their shot if they win their conference. Not too many people nationwide care about Minnesota to be honest either.

I don't get the people with this weird bias, that only traditional FBS schools should get a shot at a title. (though one could say the MAC is one of the oldest and most stable conferences, so that throws your "didn't even exist" statement out the window.)

Think there's a good chance Oregon drops out of top 12 completely, Utah gets moved in, and both OU and Okla St move up into top 12??

And just because YOU don't care about certain teams doesn't mean they aren't deserving of their shot if they win their conference. Not too many people nationwide care about Minnesota to be honest either.
It’s not me that doesn’t care. I watch all of the football I can. It’s the rest of the world that doesn’t care about UTSA (and others like them). The lower-tiers of G5 football get like 100k viewers in prime time.

And it’s absurd and uniformed to to suggest they “deserve” anything more than what they already get. Just because YOU think they deserve to play Georgia doesn’t mean they do.

It’s not me that doesn’t care. I watch all of the football I can. It’s the rest of the world that doesn’t care about UTSA (and others like them). The lower-tiers of G5 football get like 100k viewers in prime time.

And it’s absurd and uniformed to to suggest they “deserve” anything more than what they already get. Just because YOU think they deserve to play Georgia doesn’t mean they do.
So this is entirely about TV ratings, and not about actually choosing a national champion, is that it?
What are they playing for again?

And I would make the case that the Big 12 (future state) is better than the ACC or the Pac 12 right now. You're basically rewarding teams based on their historical conferences and nothing else. Vandy is a doormat and always has been, but in theory they would somehow be deserving of a shot at a natty when a good program like Cinci or UCF or (insert school here) wouldn't be. Makes no sense.

Think there's a good chance Oregon drops out of top 12 completely, Utah gets moved in, and both OU and Okla St move up into top 12??
Oregon and Utah will basically flip positions.

So this is entirely about TV ratings, and not about actually choosing a national champion, is that it?
What are they playing for again?
More strawman. I NEVER its all about TV.

You suggested people care about teams like UTSA. They don’t. I can provide evidence. Where is your evidence they care? On what basis do you believe they deserve more than what they are getting now? Blind faith?

More strawman. I NEVER its all about TV.

You suggested people care about teams like UTSA. They don’t. I can provide evidence. Where is your evidence they care? On what basis do you believe they deserve more than what they are getting now? Blind faith?
People will care about whomever is in the playoffs. It's the playoffs. It shouldn't matter if it's Alabama or Coastal Carolina. If a team is deserving by winning all their games, they deserve a shot at a playoff. It's not their fault they aren't a big name.

If Bama and Cincy hold on to win, and Michigan is going to beat Iowa obviously, then the current top 4 will be the final top 4, just rearranged.

Would rather have Georgia than Notre Dame.

If Bama and Cincy hold on to win, and Michigan is going to beat Iowa obviously, then the current top 4 will be the final top 4, just rearranged.

Even if Michigan lost Notre Dame doesn’t deserve to get in. Their best wins are Wisconsin and Purdue early in the season. Otherwise they beat a bunch of bad teams, a couple mediocre ones.

If Mich wins (this is assuming Bama holds on)

1. Bama
2. Mich
3. GA
4. Cinci

If Mich loses
1. Bama
2. GA
3. Cinci
4. ND

Field is pretty set in my eyes at this point and both layouts keep their all SEC final still intact

Idk, if Georgia doesn't score and Bama goes up by 4+ TDs, how can you even say they deserve another shot?

I was hoping for an Alabama less CFP, but that's not going to happen. Georgia doesn't really deserve to get in, but they will, and I still think they are better than Notre Dame.

I've been anti playoff expansion because typically you know what the top two - four teams are every year before the playoff's begin. With so much parity, that's not the case this year.

I was hoping for an Alabama less CFP, but that's not going to happen. Georgia doesn't really deserve to get in, but they will, and I still think they are better than Notre Dame.

I've been anti playoff expansion because typically you know what the top two - four teams are every year before the playoff's begin. With so much parity, that's not the case this year.
How would Georgia not deserve to get in with their only loss being Alabama?

How would Georgia not deserve to get in with their only loss being Alabama?

I generally don't think non-conference champions should get into the playoffs, but besides that, who have they beaten? A down Clemson team and Kentucky are their two best wins.

And they aren't just losing the championship game, they are currently getting throttled by an Alabama team that hasn't been as good as previous years either.

I generally don't think non-conference champions should get into the playoffs, but besides that, who have they beaten? A down Clemson team and Kentucky are their two best wins.

And they aren't just losing the championship game, they are currently getting throttled by an Alabama team that hasn't been as good as previous years either.
but your one loss is to the best team in the country!

Your one loss is a beat down in your biggest game of the year and you don’t have a signature win.

Exactly, the playoffs is about crowning the best team in the country. Georgia isn't the best team in their own conference. I don't need to see another rematch between them.

Exactly, the playoffs is about crowning the best team in the country. Georgia isn't the best team in their own conference. I don't need to see another rematch between them.
I agree. Want the regular season to matter? You have to win your conference to get in.

I would be on board with all conference divisional winners qualifying for the playoffs as well.

Who would you put in besides Georgia ?

As much as I don't want to see the SEC take up half the spots in the CFP, here we go again. After the 3 teams that are "locks" (if MI wins), the next 3 "contenders" are GA, ND and OSU. Each of the "contenders" has lost to one of "locks" so there could be rematches in the CFP no matter what. The perception is that GA is the best of the rest. They will be in.

Here's a brain teaser. If Michigan loses tonight, does the CFP pick ND over Michigan even though both had 1 regular season loss with Michigan having a much stronger schedule?

(I'm not gonna go back and read the first 4 pages of this thread to see if this has been addressed already)

That was my point originally that there really isn't another team to take. Notre Dame is really the only other option. Are they better than Georgia? Maybe.
Not ND to me as who did they beat ? UW and Purdue, pretty weak.

Top Bottom