CFP

Just announced. #Alabama vs. #4 Cincinnati and #2 Michigan vs. #3 Georgia

And there's still 3hrs and 16m of show left. Followed by a ANOTHER 3 hour show.

College Football on ESPN

10m ·

THE CFP STAGE IS SET
🏆

No. 1 Alabama Football vs. No. 4 Cincinnati Bearcats Football
No. 2 Michigan Football vs. No. 3 Georgia Football
Makes perfect sense, given how it has played out.

I have made my opinion known, but what is done is done.

Congrats to Cincy, being the first G5 to make the 4-team playoff !!!

The NY6 should be pretty easily set.

Rose and Sugar are contractually dictated - Ohio St v Utah and Baylor v Ole Miss

With Cincy getting the "G5 access slot" defacto, then the rest of the NY6 (Fiesta and Peach) should then just be whomever else is ranked in the top 12.

Okla St shouldn't fall out. Mich St is in. Notre Dame is in.

Last spot ... I'm not sure if an ACC has to get a spot to replace the Orange Bowl slot lost to the semi?? But they could well just rank Pitt above BYU for the final spot. Would be fair, in my opinion.

Surprised by 2 things here:

1. Georgia and Michigan weren't flipped! (Not that it really matters)
2. I haven't seen any conspiracy theories about the SEC championship game being about having two teams in the CFP!

Does anyone seriously believe that Cincinnati, with that schedule, is the best team in Ohio? The sentimental underdog outside the Power Five movement should be deep-sixed forever. Ohio State should be the fourth team and Michigan #1. Both Wisconsin and Minnesota should be in the top 25, probably along with Purdue. In fact, since the AP and coaches' polls had the same top nine, just dump the committee and merge the polls. That would simplify it. Also in any final four, #1 should play #3 and #2 should play #4. The present set-up tends to eliminate #4 right away, while #2 and #3 have a grudge match that weakens them for the final game.

Does anyone seriously believe that Cincinnati, with that schedule, is the best team in Ohio? The sentimental underdog outside the Power Five movement should be deep-sixed forever. Ohio State should be the fourth team and Michigan #1. Both Wisconsin and Minnesota should be in the top 25, probably along with Purdue. In fact, since the AP and coaches' polls had the same top nine, just dump the committee and merge the polls. That would simplify it. Also in any final four, #1 should play #3 and #2 should play #4. The present set-up tends to eliminate #4 right away, while #2 and #3 have a grudge match that weakens them for the final game.

Attachments

• 1638734434206.jpeg
    1638734434206.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 0

If there aren’t going to be auto bids for conference champs. Playoff should stay at 4.
Alabama and Michigan shouldn’t go have to win their league twice

I do. Cinci deserves to be there. Period.

I just noticed that the semifinal games are both on New Years Eve. I thought they weren't going to do that again after the ratings disaster a few years ago.

I just noticed that the semifinal games are both on New Years Eve. I thought they weren't going to do that again after the ratings disaster a few years ago.
Blame the rose bowl.

honestly the playoff should always be near years day. If rose bowl doesn’t want to move have the rose bowl play at 4

playoff games at noon and 8 (central)

Probably an agreement in getting those bowls on board. The Rose in particular still holds some sway over the system. Still, Michigan - Georgia will be at 7:30 on NYE? I thought they learned their lesson on that.
Rose and Sugar would, rightfully, worry that people only have one maybe two bowl games in them in a day, and would focus on the semi's if held on NYD.

Guessing

The final score in the Michigan/Georgia tilt might be 2-0 after 20 overtimes. Two really great defenses. Michigan's speed on offense won't play up on Georgia the way it did against Iowa.

Ah, it was moreso they believed because people had to work that day. Which could be reasonable.

In 2021, when New Year’s Eve falls on a Friday, it’s the designated national holiday for the weekend, which Hancock said should alleviate the concerns from fans who typically work on New Year’s Eve.

Do they go by the ranking at the time or what they ended the season at?
They have done both... common sense is go by their current ranking not their ranking at the time. Georgia doesn't have an 'impressive win' - I say that knowing anyone that goes undefeated in the regular season is impressive but they struggled vs. Clemson... knowing that Clemson is a .500 team can hardly raise an eyebrow in December.

Here is my updated playoff dream. 12 team playoff, 4 byes.
All power 5 divisional winners are guaranteed in the playoffs. Top 4 seeds receive byes - top four have to win their conference championship game. First round games are played on home site, semi finals & championship are neutral.

Having this scenario would put the most importance on the regular season. Each conference game matters tremendously. You are playing for either a bye or homefield advantage.

The 2021 college football season is very unique. I am not sure if Michigan or Alabama are that much better than Notre Dame or Oklahoma State or Baylor.

They have done both... common sense is go by their current ranking not their ranking at the time. Georgia doesn't have an 'impressive win' - I say that knowing anyone that goes undefeated in the regular season is impressive but they struggled vs. Clemson... knowing that Clemson is a .500 team can hardly raise an eyebrow in December.

Here is my updated playoff dream. 12 team playoff, 4 byes.
All power 5 divisional winners are guaranteed in the playoffs. Top 4 seeds receive byes - top four have to win their conference championship game. First round games are played on home site, semi finals & championship are neutral.

Having this scenario would put the most importance on the regular season. Each conference game matters tremendously. You are playing for either a bye or homefield advantage.

The 2021 college football season is very unique. I am not sure if Michigan or Alabama are that much better than Notre Dame or Oklahoma State or Baylor.
Especially this year on paragraph 4

Ah, it was moreso they believed because people had to work that day. Which could be reasonable.

In 2021, when New Year’s Eve falls on a Friday, it’s the designated national holiday for the weekend, which Hancock said should alleviate the concerns from fans who typically work on New Year’s Eve.
That was one of the reasons. He also mentioned the obvious, that many people go out on NYE and are not sitting home watching football.

The final score in the Michigan/Georgia tilt might be 2-0 after 20 overtimes. Two really great defenses. Michigan's speed on offense won't play up on Georgia the way it did against Iowa.
i think GA scores more than that. They can protect better and in theory neutralize some the game wrecker potential for Michigan's DEs. Their secondary and LBers are not as good when the pass rush isn't getting home (see vs Mich St)

i think GA scores more than that. They can protect better and in theory neutralize some the game wrecker potential for Michigan's DEs. Their secondary and LBers are not as good when the pass rush isn't getting home (see vs Mich St)
Georgia’s offense is bad. If Michigan can score against Georgia, Michigan wins by 10+
But I’m not sure they can.

georgia and Michigan are really similar teams and programs right now, to me.

Georgia’s offense is bad. If Michigan can score against Georgia, Michigan wins by 10+
But I’m not sure they can.

georgia and Michigan are really similar teams and programs right now, to me.
i dunno about the same. my gf is a big Michigan fan so I've watched them 2nd most after the Gophs. I think the matchup favors GA overall

Mich O is predicated on run and PA pass. GA has a pretty stellar run defense and puts their corners on an island. Mich doesn't have the game breakers (Bell would have been massive to have in this game) to beat up on them the way Bama did (and after Metchie went down, the Bama offense sputtered quite a bit more). Michigan is far better as a running attack, but their QB puts the ball at risk far too often. They haven't played a defense with anywhere this amount of team speed and that worries me

GA O would much rather pound the rock and Michigan has gotten exposed by teams in this regard when they have the ability to hit some passes. GA's TE Bowers is stellar and they have Pickens at WR who is a mismatch. i think Hutchinson and Ojabo are going to be able to make things rough on GA, but I hope I'm not wrong

i dunno about the same. my gf is a big Michigan fan so I've watched them 2nd most after the Gophs. I think the matchup favors GA overall

Mich O is predicated on run and PA pass. GA has a pretty stellar run defense and puts their corners on an island. Mich doesn't have the game breakers (Bell would have been massive to have in this game) to beat up on them the way Bama did (and after Metchie went down, the Bama offense sputtered quite a bit more). Michigan is far better as a running attack, but their QB puts the ball at risk far too often. They haven't played a defense with anywhere this amount of team speed and that worries me

GA O would much rather pound the rock and Michigan has gotten exposed by teams in this regard when they have the ability to hit some passes. GA's TE Bowers is stellar and they have Pickens at WR who is a mismatch. i think Hutchinson and Ojabo are going to be able to make things rough on GA, but I hope I'm not wrong
I think it could be a really low scoring game. Which favors Georgia. The higher scoring it becomes the more it favors Michigan

I think it could be a really low scoring game. Which favors Georgia. The higher scoring it becomes the more it favors Michigan
If Mich is ahead yes. If GA gets out by 14 or something early, that's how they kill teams like they've done all year. Michigan needs to have balance and patience. I'm hoping they can get it done because I've got next to no hope for Cinci

If Mich is ahead yes. If GA gets out by 14 or something early, that's how they kill teams like they've done all year. Michigan needs to have balance and patience. I'm hoping they can get it done because I've got next to no hope for Cinci
If Georgia gets up 14 early it isn’t going to be high scoring it’s going to be a blowout because Michigan won’t score much

Top Bottom