CBS: Florida withdraws scholarship offer to QB Marcus Stokes after video surfaces of him rapping racial slur

He decided to film himself using a racial slur and was stupid enough to post it himself. Sorry....but you won't get any sympathy from me. Keep in mind....more than half of FBS players overall are young black men. Florida decided that he wasn't worth the potential toxicity.

Now....nobody is calling him a bad person....but actions have consequences. He'll land somewhere else and will hopefully have learned from this.
Nothing here I didn't write before, filming himself rapping along with a rapper. I, however, didn't say shame on him.

The team caved. He's better off somewhere else.

Ok, I'll bite. Exactly what?
Its basic understanding (or so I thought) that in 2022 there are certain phrases and things that people can say within groups that others outside of said group cannot. It's really that simple. The fact that he wouldn't have been cancelled if he was black is a double-standard, but it's not "racism" come on you people can't be serious.

Its basic understanding (or so I thought) that in 2022 there are certain phrases and things that people can say within groups that others outside of said group cannot. It's really that simple. The fact that he wouldn't have been cancelled if he was black is a double-standard, but it's not "racism" come on you people can't be serious.
What's another word or phrase that can be said by one group but not another?

I for one support what Florida did. The double standard situation has been brought up several times on this thread. It's how you imply the N word (degrading), what other words it is used with, and how you say it. Actually, it is best to further understand and learn about the history of black people. And no, it's not a situation where blacks can use it only and whites can never say it.

I'll never be able to change someone's mind on this one, as unfortunately they are racist either by choice or they just don't get it. We live in a very racist society. If you disagree with me on that, I know that you are racist and simply are part of the problem with today's society.

Neither. I'd explain more, but this is nonsense for a football board. We are way past football now. OTB or mods should just close it.
Nah, we should never let racists off the hook by "moving it to another board." Being easy on racists is what got us four years of Trump, January 6, Ahmaud Arbery, Charleston, etc. It's time we call these people out EVERYWHERE. I'm glad a lot of people are telling on themselves in this thread.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.
I wholly agree with you, but I am curious about this from a legal standpoint. His scholarship was offered by the University of Florida and there is a strong argument to be made that his speech cost him his scholarship/opportunity. It looks like freedom of speech is also a right listed in the Florida constitution.

Nothing here I didn't write before, filming himself rapping along with a rapper. I, however, didn't say shame on him.

The team caved. He's better off somewhere else.

Context matters, sure. Doesn't make what he did a good idea. Especially considering that a good number of his teammates are going to be black. Shows a level of immaturity and callousness that coaches may not want around their program.

I don't disagree with that. But that's not what he said. His statement that I was referring to is this... "Last time anyone checked, treating one group of people different than another group of people based on the color of their skin is discrimination and/or racism." You objected to that. I am wondering what is wrong with it.

Context matters, sure. Doesn't make what he did a good idea. Especially considering that a good number of his teammates are going to be black. Shows a level of immaturity and callousness that coaches may not want around their program.
I wonder how his former potential teammates interpreted the video.

I wonder how his former potential teammates interpreted the video.

Hard to know. But a quick search of Ponte Verde shows that it's a wealthy seaside suburb of Jacksonville with a demographic of approximately 98% white folks. Take that number with a grain of salt as it is from the 2006 census. But reasonable to say that his football team may not have been all that diverse.

Hard to know. But a quick search of Ponte Verde shows that it's a wealthy seaside suburb of Jacksonville with a demographic of approximately 98% white folks. Take that number with a grain of salt as it is from the 2006 census. But reasonable to say that his football team may not have been all that diverse.
Doesn't stop all of us from speculating. But given this is mainly a sports posting site it only stands to reason that speculation is so prevelant.

Wonder if the coaches took the initiative or if they were told to pull the scholarship?

I for one support what Florida did. The double standard situation has been brought up several times on this thread. It's how you imply the N word (degrading), what other words it is used with, and how you say it. Actually, it is best to further understand and learn about the history of black people. And no, it's not a situation where blacks can use it only and whites can never say it.

I'll never be able to change someone's mind on this one, as unfortunately they are racist either by choice or they just don't get it. We live in a very racist society. If you disagree with me on that, I know that you are racist and simply are part of the problem with today's society.
Anyone using the n word is broadcasting their dismal emotional intelligence. If you disagree with me on that, I know you are emotionally unintelligent.

I for one support what Florida did. The double standard situation has been brought up several times on this thread. It's how you imply the N word (degrading), what other words it is used with, and how you say it.

Holy wowzers... did you really just say this, like out loud?

I wholly agree with you, but I am curious about this from a legal standpoint. His scholarship was offered by the University of Florida and there is a strong argument to be made that his speech cost him his scholarship/opportunity. It looks like freedom of speech is also a right listed in the Florida constitution.
I am a fervid advocate for free speech.
But institutions like The Gopher Hole, The NY Times, Twitter Facebook etc have a perfect right to determine what is published, written, etc.
Free speech means you can burn the flag as a protest but not praise doing that on Fox News.
Free speech means the you can write whatever you want and if it is not libel a publsher will print it and you can read it.

I am a fervid advocate for free speech.
But institutions like The Gopher Hole, The NY Times, Twitter Facebook etc have a perfect right to determine what is published, written, etc.
Free speech means you can burn the flag as a protest but not praise doing that on Fox News.
Free speech means the you can write whatever you want and if it is not libel a publsher will print it and you can read it.
I know what free speech means when it comes to private institutions like Gooher Hole, NYT, and Fox News. But the University of Florida is not a private institution. It is a public institution governed by Florida’s public education system.

All aboard the Identity Politics train. Where the final destination is not equality, but a ranking system designating which groups deserve exceptional status.

I don't disagree with that. But that's not what he said. His statement that I was referring to is this... "Last time anyone checked, treating one group of people different than another group of people based on the color of their skin is discrimination and/or racism." You objected to that. I am wondering what is wrong with it.
I don't object to the statement, I object to the statement having anything to do with this story.

All aboard the Identity Politics train. Where the final destination is not equality, but a ranking system designating which groups deserve exceptional status.
LOL. All aboard the strawman argument train, current cargo- this moron ☝️

I know what free speech means when it comes to private institutions like Gooher Hole, NYT, and Fox News. But the University of Florida is not a private institution. It is a public institution governed by Florida’s public education system.
It was an offer and not a signed NIL and even if it was, there are codes of conduct that can invalidate any kind of contract. Scholarship offers are rescinded for a variety of reasons.

Top Bottom