CBS Bowl Projection

Hope that is the case, but I still have a hard time seeing Wisconsin getting a 2nd BCS bid for the conference...maybe there is just not that much to choose from, I assume they would have to pretty much win out?

They would definitely have to win out, and even then I think it's questionable that they rise up to 14th in the BCS, which is where they would need to be.

The reason why Wisconsin would likely be picked, however, is the rules that dictate how teams are selected.

-The SEC is going to get two teams. That's a given.
-Assuming Stanford has only two losses, they are going to get picked. That's also a given.
-If Fresno State or NIU win out, one of them will finish above the AAC winner and will also be picked.

That only leaves one spot that would go to a 2nd team from the B1G, Big 12, or ACC.

Because the Orange Bowl picks first, they aren't going to pick an ACC team unless FSU makes the NC game, because you can't have ACC vs. ACC. CBS is assuming that they would pick UCF as an at-large, but that's crazy. You don't pick a mid-major unless you absolutely have to, I don't care if they are in your home state.

So what that basically leaves is Wisconsin vs. the 2nd best team in the Big 12, which would probably be a two-loss Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. With those choices, I'd take Wisconsin too, assuming they are eligible.

The BADgers will pick up one more loss. Wish we had a do over on the Pigeyes (poor Floyd)...

Why does the Gator Bowl have a bigger payout ($3.5 million) and take the #5 B1G than the Buffalo Wings ($3.35 million) which takes B1G #4? How are the payouts distributed in the league? Just curious.

Why does the Gator Bowl have a bigger payout ($3.5 million) and take the #5 B1G than the Buffalo Wings ($3.35 million) which takes B1G #4? How are the payouts distributed in the league? Just curious.

Each school receives an equal share of Bowl money.

I'd take the Gator Bowl in a heartbeat...Still a lot of football left to be played and with the way things have been going in Big Ten this year, it's hard to predict how things will ultimately shake out. Still, a good bowl game in Florida sounds pretty nice. :eek:

I have some family that woudl make an KSU and GOpher match up pretty interesting. Getting to BWW would be fine too since we havent been to AZ in a while but with Texas TEch also picked to go there would they match two teams who play in a bowl together the privous year?
What an exciting time of year where we can start looking at where and when instead of trying to get that last win to be eligible!

Why does the Gator Bowl have a bigger payout ($3.5 million) and take the #5 B1G than the Buffalo Wings ($3.35 million) which takes B1G #4?
The two bowls alternate in the selection process.

They would definitely have to win out, and even then I think it's questionable that they rise up to 14th in the BCS, which is where they would need to be.

The reason why Wisconsin would likely be picked, however, is the rules that dictate how teams are selected.

-Assuming Stanford has only two losses, they are going to get picked. That's also a given.
-If Fresno State or NIU win out, one of them will finish above the AAC winner and will also be picked.

That only leaves one spot that would go to a 2nd team from the B1G, Big 12, or ACC.

Because the Orange Bowl picks first, they aren't going to pick an ACC team unless FSU makes the NC game, because you can't have ACC vs. ACC. CBS is assuming that they would pick UCF as an at-large, but that's crazy. You don't pick a mid-major unless you absolutely have to, I don't care if they are in your home state.

So what that basically leaves is Wisconsin vs. the 2nd best team in the Big 12, which would probably be a two-loss Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. With those choices, I'd take Wisconsin too, assuming they are eligible.

Why would a 2-loss Wisconsin team get in ahead of a 2-loss Michigan St. team (assuming they win out and lose to Ohio St. in the BT championship)? In this scenario, Michigan St. will have won an extra game and their second loss would have come in a conference championship game, something Wisconsin did not do.

This isn't directed at you only as I've seen it written elsewhere that Wisconsin is the only hope for another BCS team from the Big Ten. I think Michigan St. is a top 15 team right now.

Why would a 2-loss Wisconsin team get in ahead of a 2-loss Michigan St. team (assuming they win out and lose to Ohio St. in the BT championship)? In this scenario, Michigan St. will have won an extra game and their second loss would have come in a conference championship game, something Wisconsin did not do.
Momentum, mostly. Let's say that Michigan State runs the table and finishes 12th in the polls by the B1G Championship game. If they lose, they are going to drop at least a few spots because that's how it works. The only way they could lose the B1G Championship game and still make a BCS bowl is if they shot up into the top 10 before that game, which isn't going to happen.

Wisconsin, on the other hand, can slowly creep up, having not lost a game since early October.

It's not really fair, but that's how the voters operate.

Momentum, mostly. Let's say that Michigan State runs the table and finishes 12th in the polls by the B1G Championship game. If they lose, they are going to drop at least a few spots because that's how it works. The only way they could lose the B1G Championship game and still make a BCS bowl is if they shot up into the top 10 before that game, which isn't going to happen.

Wisconsin, on the other hand, can slowly creep up, having not lost a game since early October.

It's not really fair, but that's how the voters operate.

Which is why so many of the voters are stupid. It would essentially say it is better to not make the conference championship game than lose in it.

Yes. There's definitely something to be said for not having a conference championship game, especially when the playoff comes next year. It can really only hurt you.

ESPN Bowl Projections:

The latest projections:

Rose Bowl Presented by VIZIO, Jan. 1: Ohio State
Capital One Bowl, Jan. 1: Wisconsin
Outback Bowl, Jan. 1: Michigan State
Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, Dec. 28: Nebraska
TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl, Jan. 1: Michigan
Texas Bowl, Dec. 27: Minnesota
Heart of Dallas Bowl, Jan. 1: Iowa
Little Caesars Pizza Bowl, Dec. 26: Not filled

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/88238/big-ten-bowl-projections-week-10-3

Go Gophers!!

Wisky will have their hands full Saturday with BYU I think. It would be impressive if they shut down that BYU offense but they've got a good defense with a boatload of seniors.

Should be a good game, and if think BYU had a bye week to prepare. Go Cougars!!

MSU got screwed when they lost to wisconsin 2 years ago and Michigan got a BCS at large, also Georgia lost to Alabama in the SEC championship last year and FLorida got the BCS at large while UGA went to the capital one bowl, it is indeed better to not play in the conference championship game then to lose it, also i don't think doesn't win out(except for when they play us) i guess the gophers winning 9 games vs 8 and 5 B1G vs 4 B1G wins would be the same as having 2 B1G teams in the BCS vs one in terms of getting us to a better bowl game

MSU got screwed when they lost to wisconsin 2 years ago and Michigan got a BCS at large, also Georgia lost to Alabama in the SEC championship last year and FLorida got the BCS at large while UGA went to the capital one bowl, it is indeed better to not play in the conference championship game then to lose it, also i don't think doesn't win out(except for when they play us) i guess the gophers winning 9 games vs 8 and 5 B1G vs 4 B1G wins would be the same as having 2 B1G teams in the BCS vs one in terms of getting us to a better bowl game

Didn't UCLA make it to the Pac-12 Championshp at 6-6 and lost to Oregon to finish 6-7 and thus fall out of bowl eligibility since they were under .500. A lot of bad stuff can happen when you lose the conference championship.

Ole Miss, Georgia and one of either Texas A&M or LSU will be probably be 8-4 by seasons end while Mizzou, South Carolina, Bama, Auburn and the other of either LSU/Texas A&M get at least 9 or 10 wins and FLorida will probably be 6-6 by seasons end, and the #6 SEC team plays in the gator bowl i believe, man i couldn't believe it if my gophers played mighty LSU or even better Johnny football for our bowl game, that would be crazy considering were we were 2 years ago

Not trying to sound like a downer, but I think we should be happy with one more win and (therefore) an almost certain trip to Texas.

Didn't UCLA make it to the Pac-12 Championshp at 6-6 and lost to Oregon to finish 6-7 and thus fall out of bowl eligibility since they were under .500. A lot of bad stuff can happen when you lose the conference championship.

Craft fight Hunger Bowl vs Illinois that year, it doesn't matter if you are below .500, 6 wins is the only requirement

Craft fight Hunger Bowl vs Illinois that year, it doesn't matter if you are below .500, 6 wins is the only requirement

It did matter that they were below .500. They had to get a waiver to play in a bowl game.

Not a given. It is entirely possible, if Alabama runs the table, that there won't be another SEC team with fewer than three losses by the end of the season. If Clemson wins out to finish 11-1, I'd expect them to take the SEC's spot in the Sugar Bowl.

CBS is assuming that they would pick UCF as an at-large, but that's crazy. You don't pick a mid-major unless you absolutely have to, I don't care if they are in your home state.

I can see why UCF would be attractive to the Orange Bowl, which has been saddled with attendance issues in recent years. The TV audience would suffer, but FSU vs. UCF would be a guaranteed sellout. The fact that the Orange Bowl is entering an agreement with the Big Ten beginning next season might help in swaying them to take Wisky or MSU. But the same could be said for the Sugar Bowl's impending deal with the Big 12 and getting them to take that league's runner-up.

Ok - dumb question - when a bowl game is slotted for the "Big ten #5" team (for example), does that mean #5 by Big Ten record only or is it overall record? If it's by Big Ten record do they just lump both divisions together?

Ok - dumb question - when a bowl game is slotted for the "Big ten #5" team (for example), does that mean #5 by Big Ten record only or is it overall record? If it's by Big Ten record do they just lump both divisions together?

It means they are the fifth bowl to pick and they can take whoever they want (subject to some rules - can't take a 6-6 team over an 8-4 team for example).

It means they are the fifth bowl to pick and they can take whoever they want (subject to some rules - can't take a 6-6 team over an 8-4 team for example).

That's right...forgot about that whole process.

Not trying to sound like a downer, but I think we should be happy with one more win and (therefore) an almost certain trip to Texas.

As Winona Rider once famously said "I feel my best when I'm happy." I'll be happy with one more win, sure. I'll be happier with more wins too, of course. The alternative to being happy isn't much fun, so I'll be happy even if the Gophers lose their next three. I may not be pleased if they don't win again, but that displeasure passes.

Top Bottom