Cashius McNeilly & Emanuel Miller (Texas A&M) both in the portal

My concern is that it hasn't been said by anyone with any real information. Most of that is our insulated message board speculation. I have to say, A&M must be real pieces of manure for not letting this contract thing go. If he's gone, he's gone. Why not let him get to work at the next job right away?

I'm with the deep Minnesota crowd that will doubt it until it happens.
Why would anyone make an announcement before it officially happens?

Maybe he has a buyout at A&M and just waiting a few weeks to let it drop off. We don’t know, but nobody at A&M has denied it and everyone on their fan board say he is going to MN.

If it would create headaches in an upcoming job transition, then that would be foolish to leave the country. Especially with the ebb and flow of covid restrictions. I'm sure Carr still lives with his parents in Canada and also has a personal trainer there. Not really an apt comparison in my opinion.

Just to see if my hunch was right, I did a little research. We know Cashius McNeilly opted out of this past season due to COVID. I checked his Instagram and his second to last post on February 22 shows him in his hometown of Scarborough. So yeah, I'd say the chances are pretty strong he has been in Canada for awhile.

Just to see if my hunch was right, I did a little research. We know Cashius McNeilly opted out of this past season due to COVID. I checked his Instagram and his second to last post on February 22 shows him in his hometown of Scarborough. So yeah, I'd say the chances are pretty strong he has been in Canada for awhile.
What about his dad and Miller....come on man don't leave us hanging :)

What about his dad and Miller....come on man don't leave us hanging :)

There is nothing past Miller's transfer portal announcement on his social media, so can't really deduct anything. As far as McNeilly (the coach), nothing really recent and his bio still shows Texas A&M.

So I guess we are all still hanging...

There is nothing past Miller's transfer portal announcement on his social media, so can't really deduct anything. As far as McNeilly (the coach), nothing really recent and his bio still shows Texas A&M.

So I guess we are all still hanging...
dang....guess we just keep on waiting....

An additional clue might be that our recruiting seems to have gone simultaneously quiet. It is hard to keep bringing on transfers if we are holding out for these two guys.

Why would anyone make an announcement before it officially happens?

Maybe he has a buyout at A&M and just waiting a few weeks to let it drop off. We don’t know, but nobody at A&M has denied it and everyone on their fan board say he is going to MN.
We all know how reliable message boards are, don’t we? The point was if it was a done deal why would A&M not just release him immediately? That seems petty to me. If there is a bunch of money involved I could see it. Hard to believe there is a big buyout on an assistant. Just waiting for a contract to expire doesn’t make sense to me. The other point is that it isn’t as done a deal as is speculated.

I have been talking about the coach this whole time so apologies for any confusion. It would make sense that the player was there especially due to the season opt out.

Wouldn't this only matter if McNeilly was actually in Canada? I would assume his current residence is in Texas.
He's probably on a student visa in Texas and that might not be transferrable as easily as it should be.

giphy.gif

He's probably on a student visa in Texas and that might not be transferrable as easily as it should be.
Someone get a canoe and go meet him in the BWCA ASAP!

Not cool if true
Nope. Doogie is reporting it that he's not coming, so guessing he's not coming. Sucks for Ben and staff. They'll find another coach, but was really looking forward to the players he was more than likely bringing with him. Still stuck on 9 players - back to the portal.

Last edited:

if that's the case, I doubt we ever find out what happened. Maybe we get lucky and still land a Power5/6 stud in the portal.

Otherwise, the way the recruiting for the upcoming season has been trending, our team will be made up primarily of low/mid-major players.

Adding the 2 A&M guys seemed like the only hope to patch over a roster in transition over the next couple of years. Barring Johnson competing for and landing any of the other notable transfers out there, this is a roster that feels like will be in a world of hurt for the next several seasons.

It’s like Wooden wanting to come coach the gophers but couldn’t get through to the U because of a snowstorm. There’s a bit of sarcasm with this post of course.

Adding the 2 A&M guys seemed like the only hope to patch over a roster in transition over the next couple of years. Barring Johnson competing for and landing any of the other notable transfers out there, this is a roster that feels like will be in a world of hurt for the next several seasons.
This is so DEAD on right. I don't see how Coach Johnson can turn this around. The Gopher won't win five games next year. Why would a recruit come here in 2022/2023 or anytime. The program is in a world of hurt. 13th/14th place finish will continue for the foreseeable future. I am embarrassed to be a Gopher season ticket holder.

This is so DEAD on right. I don't see how Coach Johnson can turn this around. The Gopher won't win five games next year. Why would a recruit come here in 2022/2023 or anytime. The program is in a world of hurt. 13th/14th place finish will continue for the foreseeable future. I am embarrassed to be a Gopher season ticket holder.
You guys need to relax. Wow.

sucks, but whatever. With the conditions of his hire (unproven head coach in a free covid transfer year), he was always going to have to grind out his first few years and find a way to create a culture and system of his own. A couple of A/M players would have made it more palatable, but it wouldn’t have changed the reality of the rebuild.

Adding on to last post.. BJ might be the right guy, but the timing of this has made his job so much more difficult.

anyone with the Athletic care to share how they rated his hire compared to all others? There was an article today ranking coaching hires.

I managed to make it through an entire season of intramural hoops in college without recording a single rebound. I’m just a phone call away, Ben. I’ll make the rest of the roster look like All Americans by the time we fail to meet NIT requirements.

We just can't have nice things can we! Twins suck, Vikings can never get over the hump, Wolves are blowing it for Cade/Jalen, and this Gopher team looks to be in for a long rebuild. Come on PJF keep our spirits up!

Top Bottom