Cashius McNeilly & Emanuel Miller (Texas A&M) both in the portal

Hey, many of us were perfectly happy with the potential / promise of the last crew we had. But, NO! Trust me you said. The grass is greener over there, you said. In fact, you said it is WAY greener over there. Well, some of us get to call bullshit. You thought it used to suck, some of us are old enough to know that it always sucks. So pardon us while we complain why you get all delusional.

Settle down, nana.

OK numb nuts, when exactly in the first weeks of being hired did PJ tell you personally that he was going to run a 3-4 or 4-3 defense, when the corners would press on the outside, if they were going to rely on the blitz or just a 3/4 man rush. When did he talk about his emphasis on a pro style or the rpo, or if he wanted a drop back passer or a runner at QB, etc. Tell us when PJ came out and told you the details that you are expecting from coach Johnson? And don’t go saying that you already knew it from watching all of the games he ever coached at much lower levels of play.

I knew because of watching his games at Western Michigan.

Hey, many of us were perfectly happy with the potential / promise of the last crew we had. But, NO! Trust me you said. The grass is greener over there, you said. In fact, you said it is WAY greener over there. Well, some of us get to call bullshit. You thought it used to suck, some of us are old enough to know that it always sucks. So pardon us while we complain why you get all delusional.
Are you serious? You were 'perfectly happy' with the 9.625 B1G placement (Should just have listed 10th place average finish) Richard averaged in his 8 years?

WOW, those are extremely low expectations and really a problem for our fan base, if you're a good representation. Now, will Ben average better, which would mean the grass is greener... well, it's too early to tell so you need to lighten up! Something had to happen though because there are allot of fans that have higher expectations than you do, at least I hope that to be the case.

Was this hire what we all wanted? I think that answer is a pretty obvious and resounding NO. BUT, MOST of us are willing to see what we've got once the dust settles and we get a year or 2 (gosh, maybe even a larger sample size would be fair) before we pass judgement that the hire was a disaster.

Keeping things status quo would have been the real disaster! Give the new staff a chance and let's see how things go. I'm not a 'spring chicken' myself, but I'm at least happy they made a move so we can turn the page on the Pitino era.

I knew because of watching his games at Western Michigan.
So you were a big Western Michigan fan before you joined GH? Watched all the games... yah, sure you did. I call BS! So who was their top running backs and QB's when you were such a big fan?

So you were a big Western Michigan fan before you joined GH? Watched all the games... yah, sure you did. I call BS! So who was their top running backs and QB's when you were such a big fan?

Western who? I just did a quick google search once he was the "supposed candidate" and learned about his systems. Pretty easy to do.

Can't really do that with Ben but that's ok. He'll learn what he needs to do. I'm guessing his first year will be trial and error, figure out what works in the B1G. Coyle also mentioned he'll learn when to take time outs. So there's that

Western who? I just did a quick google search once he was the "supposed candidate" and learned about his systems. Pretty easy to do.

Can't really do that with Ben but that's ok. He'll learn what he needs to do. I'm guessing his first year will be trial and error, figure out what works in the B1G. Coyle also mentioned he'll learn when to take time outs. So there's that
Ben played in the B1G and coached in the B1G for years. It's not like he's needing to learn how to harpoon a whale for the first time. I spent the majority of my career biding my time in one city because of family needs before rapidly up over the next 5 years to be the Program Director. I am sure that I had people doubting me along the way. Let's just say that I proved them wrong.

Anyone care to know what his offensive and defensive philosophies will be? Here's your chance to find out!

Anyone care to know what his offensive and defensive philosophies will be? Here's your chance to find out!

According to many, we don't deserve to know and shouldn't care anyway. Also, Ben shouldn't be expected to know so we wouldn't want to bother. Or so I've been told... 😎

According to many, we don't deserve to know and shouldn't care anyway. Also, Ben shouldn't be expected to know so we wouldn't want to bother. Or so I've been told... 😎
I think you should ask him to break down the set that he'll run when he's down 1 with 40 seconds left in the game. Seems reasonable.

Ben played in the B1G and coached in the B1G for years. It's not like he's needing to learn how to harpoon a whale for the first time. I spent the majority of my career biding my time in one city because of family needs before rapidly up over the next 5 years to be the Program Director. I am sure that I had people doubting me along the way. Let's just say that I proved them wrong.

He was a head coach in the B1G? had no idea. Guess he knows when to take time outs then. Can you update Coyle then on that? Thanks

He was a head coach in the B1G? had no idea. Guess he knows when to take time outs then. Can you update Coyle then on that? Thanks
Coyle's comment was throwing shade at Pitino for NOT knowing when to take timeouts. Fans were continuously complaining about poor timeout management under Pitino.

Ben has been around the college game for 20 years... I think that he knows how to put his hands together to form a T and say the words 'time-out' to the nearest ref. He, undoubtedly, has had COUNTLESS discussions about time-out philosophy and strategies. These guys eat, live, and breathe basketball. They share meals with the coaches on their team and others and discuss bball minutia. It is more than a 40 hour a week job... it is their lives.

You are upset by the hire and are going out of your way in nearly every post to share that. I am going to show some patience and see how things shake out on the court before I judge. I won't change your mind and you won't change mine.

Coyle's comment was throwing shade at Pitino for NOT knowing when to take timeouts. Fans were continuously complaining about poor timeout management under Pitino.

Ben has been around the college game for 20 years... I think that he knows how to put his hands together to form a T and say the words 'time-out' to the nearest ref. He, undoubtedly, has had COUNTLESS discussions about time-out philosophy and strategies. These guys eat, live, and breathe basketball. They share meals with the coaches on their team and others and discuss bball minutia. It is more than a 40 hour a week job... it is their lives.

You are upset by the hire and are going out of your way in nearly every post to share that. I am going to show some patience and see how things shake out on the court before I judge. I won't change your mind and you won't change mine.
But you do realize that he has never been an associate head coach so all his years as an assistant coach are meaningless.....He may have been sitting on the bench and working closely with the head coaches but he wasn't getting the valuable experience that the title of associate head coach would have given him. :)

He was not throwing shade at Pitino, he was acknowledging that BJ has no HC experience, but wasn't concerned about him being able to handle, at least the in-game part, of being a HC. Coyle has not thrown any shade at Pitino at anytime, its been one of the most admirable parts to how he does his job. He is class and tries to work things out in a positive manner for both sides. You claiming he was throwing shade is the opposite of the way Coyle has acted throughout this entire process, and to me looks like revisionist history.

Last edited:

ah, ok, so he wasn't a head coach in the B1G then. Thanks for clarifying.

But you do realize that he has never been an associate head coach so all his years as an assistant coach are meaningless.....He may have been sitting on the bench and working closely with the head coaches but he wasn't getting the valuable experience that the title of associate head coach would have given him. :)

I don't think he did, but now he knows he was an assistant coach for 15 years. Makes you wonder why he was never offered an associate head coach position prior to getting the job here.

I mean, surely someone out there wanted to groom Ben to take over for their program at some point. Oh well, guess we'll skip the grooming period and just toss him to the wolves.

Maybe the U can be known as the Head Coach training program for basketball, basically did the same thing for Pitino.

Top Bottom