Cashius McNeilly & Emanuel Miller (Texas A&M) both in the portal

Coach McNeilly is definitely not coming back to A&M...

I think it's kind of weird that no one has responded to this. Maybe not enough clicked the link?

Beyond players, Williams confirmed that associate head coach Jamie McNeilly also will not return to the program after coaching under Williams for the last 11 seasons. According to reports from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune and the St. Paul Pioneer Press, McNeilly is expected to join new Golden Gopher head coach Ben Johnson at Minnesota.

“I think it will end up being better for him,” Williams said. “He’s been with me my whole career. Coached him. Love him. Love his family. But he’s looking for a new situation, a new opportunity.”

If it helped win more games while they were here, then yeah it definitely hurts long term. Could be completely moot, but winning sells to both players and fans. He needs a large victory to kick things off whether that be in recruiting or on the court. We've seen what Nebraska looked like the last 2 seasons with a roster cobbled with transfers. Very, very, bad. Do we have confidence that our staff is better than Hoiberg's?
Nebraska just nabbed a 5 star. BJ needs A victory, but these AM guys weren’t the only way to build a program. Sure, they would have helped legitimize him (from the outside looking in at least, maybe he has more respect than we give him), but I still think the hire was awfully executed and put BJ in a position to fail. My anger has worn off and I’m accepting that we’ll be shitty for the foreseeable future before we know if Ben is the guy. And then shitty for a couple years after that.

I think it's kind of weird that no one has responded to this. Maybe not enough clicked the link?
The word of Doogie is gaining power. We know McNeilly is not returning to A&M, but he's not coming here, then where? I suppose we don't really care if it's anywhere other than here.

does anyone know where exactly doogie got this info? It isn't on that guys twitter over the last 4-5 days so did he say it in his podcast or?

Nebraska just nabbed a 5 star. BJ needs A victory, but these AM guys weren’t the only way to build a program. Sure, they would have helped legitimize him (from the outside looking in at least, maybe he has more respect than we give him), but I still think the hire was awfully executed and put BJ in a position to fail. My anger has worn off and I’m accepting that we’ll be shitty for the foreseeable future before we know if Ben is the guy. And then shitty for a couple years after that.
The 5 star player's older brother is also already on the Nebraska roster, not sure how much of that had an impact in his choice.

I read it. A&M thing is not "officially" dead, but it's on life support. So who knows what the reason was. Early on where this was first mentioned, I think it was James that said he is not for sure coming, the doogie said he was a few weeks ago like it was a done deal.

So if you read into that, maybe McNeilly wasn't completely sold on coming here.

That last part is important. A lot of chips will fall into place once the NBA draft process is complete and the guys that didn't make it need to figure out where to play next season.
Do you honestly believe that these NBA type players are going to come to Minnesota with a first time HC and a roster of low to mid major players? None of these types of players see this situation as one that will improve their draft stock. Doogie has completely lost it if he is implying that Minnesota would be the landing spot for any of these types.

Do you honestly believe that these NBA type players are going to come to Minnesota with a first time HC and a roster of low to mid major players? None of these types of players see this situation as one that will improve their draft stock. Doogie has completely lost it if he is implying that Minnesota would be the landing spot for any of these types.
see Brandon Johnson.....there are guys who just want some more info....deep down probably knowing they dont have a chance to get drafted, but just want to be sure

i mean yeah there isnt going to be a line of guys like that lining up to come here but he is just one simple example of this

If it helped win more games while they were here, then yeah it definitely hurts long term. Could be completely moot, but winning sells to both players and fans. He needs a large victory to kick things off whether that be in recruiting or on the court. We've seen what Nebraska looked like the last 2 seasons with a roster cobbled with transfers. Very, very, bad. Do we have confidence that our staff is better than Hoiberg's?
Guess it really boils down to how big a difference they would have made. Most likely it might be the difference of just a few games which wouldn't really move the needle much either way when you are talking about a back half of the conference team anyway.

If getting them meant the difference between making the tournament or missing it that would be different.

There are lots of guys in the portal that are testing the NBA waters but probably aren't NBA guys (Carr and Johnson spring to mind as local examples). There are going to be a lot of players looking for homes and not a ton of openings for them at the power 6 level.

So yeah, we might not be attractive to a superstar type player but for a guy looking for a chance to play at the Power 6 level and be a key player, there are not a ton of options out there.

Odds are not in our favor of landing any studs this year (besides Fox who a lot of schools wanted). Let's just see how the staff and roster build out. Some players might still come back, who knows.

Odds are not in our favor of landing any studs this year (besides Fox who a lot of schools wanted). Let's just see how the staff and roster build out. Some players might still come back, who knows.
Besides Carr, who will not be coming back- Tre Williams is the only one without a new home.

I think it is more being upset that we talked ourselves into believing he was bringing two players with him....one of which would likely have been our best player next year and one of which who was highly thought of. He was bringing a great base upon which to build the program. Now, that does not seem to be the case.
Yes I know you are right and I agree with you. Just funny how everyone ready to jump off the cliff and say they arent renewing their season tickets because of a coach not coming here lol there are plenty guys out there that we will fill the roster at some point.

Besides Carr, who will not be coming back- Tre Williams is the only one without a new home.
Johnson would be a strong candidate to come back if he doesn't get the NBA attention he is looking for.

see Brandon Johnson.....there are guys who just want some more info....deep down probably knowing they dont have a chance to get drafted, but just want to be sure

i mean yeah there isnt going to be a line of guys like that lining up to come here but he is just one simple example of this
Yeah I'll give you Brandon Johnson, I don't really count him because I didn't really see him as gone because he's not in the portal (from what I have seen) and he's not going to get drafted, but I am not seeing anyone else.

Yes I know you are right and I agree with you. Just funny how everyone ready to jump off the cliff and say they arent renewing their season tickets because of a coach not coming here lol there are plenty guys out there that we will fill the roster at some point.

The problem is not and should never be "Can a B1G school fill out it's roster" If that was the issue, then we don't deserve to be in the B1G.

You just have fans who were sick and tired of 8 years of Pitino ball with a starting 5 that was usually bordering on being good, but then our bench was never developed/trash.

Then the media started listing candidates for the job and we all got excited because we were going to get a proven coach who is a proven winner that knows how to build a roster and won for more than just 1 year at FIU.

Now we are filling out our roster with low/mid major kids who at best were 2nd team all defense in the CAA. The CAA....and one D2 All American which is very nice.

So that's why people are upset, they are tired of their favorite team losing and not having a good starting 5 along with a solid bench.

We literally just have 1 starter and bench players as of now. Maybe 2 if Battle lives up to the potential.

Yeah I'll give you Brandon Johnson, I don't really count him because I didn't really see him as gone because he's not in the portal (from what I have seen) and he's not going to get drafted, but I am not seeing anyone else.
Both Gach tested the waters before transferring here. I think you’re underestimating just how many players do that even if they have no shot of getting drafted.

The problem is not and should never be "Can a B1G school fill out it's roster" If that was the issue, then we don't deserve to be in the B1G.

You just have fans who were sick and tired of 8 years of Pitino ball with a starting 5 that was usually bordering on being good, but then our bench was never developed/trash.

Then the media started listing candidates for the job and we all got excited because we were going to get a proven coach who is a proven winner that knows how to build a roster and won for more than just 1 year at FIU.

Now we are filling out our roster with low/mid major kids who at best were 2nd team all defense in the CAA. The CAA....and one D2 All American which is very nice.

So that's why people are upset, they are tired of their favorite team losing and not having a good starting 5 along with a solid bench.

We literally just have 1 starter and bench players as of now. Maybe 2 if Battle lives up to the potential.
I get what you are saying and the general sentiment is correct. But I am not sure how anyone can be certain about what we have right now in the transfers.

It is safe to assume we aren't going to be a contender, but not sure how anyone can say with any certainty that we won't be competitive most nights or be able to win a similar amount of games to last year with this squad.

The reality is we have no clue how these kids are going to perform when they take the court next year. There is just as much chance that we will be pleasantly surprised as there is that we will be massively disappointed.

Mutaf, Omersa are two more. And considering where Mitchell and Freeman ended up and where Omersa and Mutaf are likely to end up a bunch of these transfers are good for us.

I get what you are saying and the general sentiment is correct. But I am not sure how anyone can be certain about what we have right now in the transfers.

It is safe to assume we aren't going to be a contender, but not sure how anyone can say with any certainty that we won't be competitive most nights or be able to win a similar amount of games to last year with this squad.

The reality is we have no clue how these kids are going to perform when they take the court next year. There is just as much chance that we will be pleasantly surprised as there is that we will be massively disappointed.
I would argue that hardly anyone could possibly be massively disappointed given how low expectations are. Disapointment comes when expectations are not met. The only "disappointment" we could get is if some embarrassing scandal broke out. The window for pleasantly surprised is wide open, though, since anything above bottom of the league is going to exceed most people's expectations.

People are in panic mode. Doogie made a statement and everyone believing it. He is wrong as much or more than he’s right. Either way, it will turn out just fine and Ben will have an asst coach. Have seen other new coaches just announcing assistants this week.

The 5 star player's older brother is also already on the Nebraska roster, not sure how much of that had an impact in his choice.
He is from out of state. Look at their in state talent from the last two years Fred didn’t get. Their 5-star is going to Gonazaga. They have their other top four players leaving the state as well. That doesn’t mean Fred can’t recruit, just typical.

What's interesting about this tweet (to me) is that in the follow up doogie writes:
Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP

17h
I don't have full details. Passed along what two people so far have told me.

The initial tweet he mentions Sean02MTM, so I don't know if that's one of the two people who have "told him".

However, if you search the history of Sean02MTM, the only recent mention of Jamie McN is the below tweet from 4/7:

In a different tweet that same day he answers a question about the hire:

His reply to that tweet was:
Sean Paul

@Sean02MTM

·
Apr 7

Replying to
@Milkmytits1
Wouldn’t have reported it if I didn’t feel confident

No mention of coach McN, that I see since 4/7.

So...who really knows.

You're right, we dont know and that's also part of the larger mystery...potential pain point.

We're not really sure what system Ben is going to use and for all we know, it's ones where the skill of the players he has committed so far make his system work.

One thing that kind of bugs me a bit is that some have mentioned we dont want athletes, we want shooters/players with high bbal IQ. I have no research to back this up, but it sounds like Northwestern

What's interesting about this tweet (to me) is that in the follow up doogie writes:
Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP

17h
I don't have full details. Passed along what two people so far have told me.

The initial tweet he mentions Sean02MTM, so I don't know if that's one of the two people who have "told him".

However, if you search the history of Sean02MTM, the only recent mention of Jamie McN is the below tweet from 4/7:

In a different tweet that same day he answers a question about the hire:

His reply to that tweet was:
Sean Paul
@Sean02MTM

·
Apr 7

Replying to
@Milkmytits1
Wouldn’t have reported it if I didn’t feel confident

No mention of coach McN, that I see since 4/7.

So...who really knows.
Guys, like I said before:

It took Buzz 4 MONTHS to move his VT staff to A&M. That staff included McNeilly.

If it took Buzz 4 Months to get the move done, then it seem reasonable that it may take awhile for the U to get McNeilly on board.

Just because it is taking some time does not mean it is not going to happen. But, of course that will not stop the same Anti-Ben group to again criticize the direction we are going....

Top Bottom