Cashius McNeilly & Emanuel Miller (Texas A&M) both in the portal

I can't think of Mariners history without thinking about Jim LeFebvre, who was their manager for a while; who played for the Dodgers and had a film career including playing a headhunter on Gilligan's Island; and whose son is, of course, Gopher player and Royal's broadcaster Ryan Lefebvre.

If we get these three, that's massive. Probably the biggest Gopher combination of gets in a handful of years. Pretty much from day 1 we would establish ourselves as a possible destination for Canadians, our team would have a chance to be competitive, and if we do well next season, we are in a fantastic spot to get new HS kids excited about the Maroon and Gold, Johnson would be off to an incredible start and the early return would be that Coyle is a genius.

If we get these three, that's massive. Probably the biggest Gopher combination of gets in a handful of years. Pretty much from day 1 we would establish ourselves as a possible destination for Canadians, our team would have a chance to be competitive, and if we do well next season, we are in a fantastic spot to get new HS kids excited about the Maroon and Gold, Johnson would be off to an incredible start and the early return would be that Coyle is a genius.
Agreed, I would leave the part out about Coyle tho, be prepared for the angry mob coming at you soon lol.

Grab these 2 guys and I think it's a very solid opening offseason for BJ.

I'm still intrigued who else we could grab with those final 2 schollies after that.

I'm still intrigued who else we could grab with those final 2 schollies after that.
Hopefully a freshman or two unless we plan on taking a lot of transfers every year.

Agree. Feels like the roster is coming together with a group that will allow us to be competitive in the short term while also not locking us in to some guys long term. We don't need to be a contender in 21-22 but nobody wants to see the team go out and get destroyed every night either. These two would give us a pretty decent looking core to build around.

Hopefully a freshman or two unless we plan on taking a lot of transfers every year.
I would expect a big 22 class of high school kids. With some transfers sprinkled in around them.

The Gophers will have Canada sewn up from A to Zed.

(my FR year at College, my roommate was from a suburb of Edmonton. The first time he said "Zed" I had no idea what he was talking about. His brother was a kicker in the CFL for a couple of years.)

I would expect a big 22 class of high school kids. With some transfers sprinkled in around them.
Yep. Take your HS kids first and then fill the holes in with transfers in the spring. Hopefully, as the years go on, fewer and fewer transfers and more persistent development and team building.

The Gophers will have Canada sewn up from A to Zed.

(my FR year at College, my roommate was from a suburb of Edmonton. The first time he said "Zed" I had no idea what he was talking about. His brother was a kicker in the CFL for a couple of years.)
I'm in my 30's and just found this out like 4 years ago, I was shocked, just goes to show how narrow your perspective can be simply experiencing your own culture, pretty much only the US and a few other smaller countries say Z, I could not believe I never heard of that,

It depends on who the freshman is. I don't want someone to sit and tie up a scholarship for 4 years either. With the free transfer that might be less likely to happen though. If it does, then you... Go to the portal and grab another transfer or reach for another freshman! I don't know if it makes much difference either way.

It depends on who the freshman is. I don't want someone to sit and tie up a scholarship for 4 years either. With the free transfer that might be less likely to happen though. If it does, then you... Go to the portal and grab another transfer or reach for another freshman! I don't know if it makes much difference either way.
I would rather have a lot of scholarships open for the 22 class since Ben is supposed to sign them all (slight sarcasm), so I wouldn't be crushed with no additional freshman. We probably will need some balance to the roster though.

Pretty much from day 1 we would establish ourselves as a possible destination for Canadians
It would be that cut and dried, that simple? Not denying it, just impressed that it works like that.

Top Bottom