Can we give the man a DAMN RAISE?????

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
Oh, I know about the $1M. But the word is out. It's all the f*** over. It's time for real $$. We need to get out of our own way and just pull out the pocketbook. Pronto. This is what we've been waiting for - if we blow this, we have only ourselves to blame.

Probably due for one next year if we do well.

This seasons raise talks started before this season.

Relax. As he delivers next year, we’ll take care of PJ. Coyle is a savvy AD and we’ve got plenty in the bank. Don’t get caught up in the hype of “OMG he’ll leave for a bigger program”. We’ve got the money, we’re a Power 5, in a winnable division, and willing to fully invest in the culture. Good luck getting “RTB” to catch on at Michigan or Notre Dame.

We need to get out of the Minnesota sports fan inferiority complex. It’s so incredibly frustrating to see.

Time to implement Phase 3 of MegaTongue’s scholarship seating program, and give the money to PJ!

BREAK. OUT. THE. POCKETBOOK.

AND WRITE SOME ZEROES ON THE DAMN CHECK.

We will have only ourselves to blame if we don't. Enjoy 50 years of irrelevance - again - if we are cheap. Pay.

We need to get out of the Minnesota sports fan inferiority complex. It’s so incredibly frustrating to see.

I agree with the OP that Fleck is underpaid by $1 or 2 million based strictly on taking a look at head coaching salaries. Paying him a competitive salary has nothing to do with an inferiority complex. However, you could argue that a college program that is unable or unwilling to pay a coach a top 25 salary, by definition, makes it an inferior program in some ways.

Fleck's salary ranks 11 of 14 in the B1G. Does that sound right to you?

Edit: strikethrough = fake news based on Fleck's old salary

Last edited:

I agree with the OP that Fleck is underpaid by $1 or 2 million based strictly on taking a look at head coaching salaries. Paying him a competitive salary has nothing to do with an inferiority complex. However, you could argue that a college program that is unable or unwilling to pay a coach a top 25 salary, by definition, makes it an inferior program in some ways.

Agree. 1000000% agree. To add to that, I live down in Florida and have friends in several SEC and ACC athletic departments. They unanimously tell me that they are looking at PJ's salary, the MN tradition/brand and THEY SMELL BLOOD.

WE NEED TO GET ON TOP OF THIS NOW.

If he’s willing to accept a larger buyout beyond the first year of the contract, he’ll probably get a bigger raise next time. Personally, I think he deserves to be at least in the top 5 in the conference.

Fleck’s new salary of $4.6M annually would put him at #22 in the country (Link Here). That would make him 7th in the B1G and ahead of OSU’s head coach, Ryan Day. It also puts him ahead of Paul Chryst at Wisconsin and Matt Rhule at Baylor. Note that this is especially inflated by the salaries of Jim Harbaugh (#3 in the country) and Jeff Brohm (#8 in the country). Brohm’s increase came after Louisville (where he played QB) came after him HARD, causing Purdue to back up the Brinks truck.

Does he deserve another raise? Probably, if he can demonstrate good results early next year. But let’s not act like he’s egregiously underpaid. The buyout increase bought us enough time to give him a raise in 2020 without panicking.

Last edited:

Fleck’s new salary of $4.6M annually would put him at #22 in the country (Link Here). That would make him 7th in the B1G and ahead of OSU’s head coach, Ryan Day. It also puts him ahead of Paul Chryst at Wisconsin and Matt Rhule at Baylor. Note that this is especially inflated by the salaries of Jim Harbaugh (#3 in the country) and Jeff Brohm (#8 in the country). Brohm’s increase came after Louisville (where he played QB) came after him HARD, causing Purdue to back up the Brinks truck.

Does he deserve another raise? Probably, if he can demonstrate good results early next year. But let’s not act like he’s egregiously underpaid. The buyout increase bought us enough time to give him a raise in 2020 without panicking.
BLOOD. THEY SMELL BLOOD. I DON'T THINK YOU GET IT.

Look, I'm no big deal. But I've had raises of $1M. ME. And I'm not the head coach of a B1G football team. We are underpaying this man - period. Everyone knows it, see it, and knows Minnesota's history of embracing the mediocre. BLOOD IS IN THE WATER RIGHT NOW.

BLOOD. THEY SMELL BLOOD. I DON'T THINK YOU GET IT.

Look, I'm no big deal. But I've had raises of $1M. ME. And I'm not the head coach of a B1G football team. We are underpaying this man - period. Everyone knows it, see it, and knows Minnesota's history of embracing the mediocre. BLOOD IS IN THE WATER RIGHT NOW.

1578105412107.gif

Yup, you are right on the salary, and I am wrong. A too-quick Google search on Fleck's salary only pulled up his old salary. I do believe he is underpaid by at least 10%. I was also a little disappointed in how low his buyout was and how quickly the buyout is reduced. $10 million would definitely cushion the blow of Fleck leaving but it isn't too big to keep a lot of schools away. Our biggest advantage is that it appears Fleck is not shopping around and wants to stay here, but we are one more disappointing Michigan or Notre Dame season away from having a very nerve-racking off-season. I want Fleck to have a salary that doesn't make those jobs seem that much more enticing and a buyout that makes those schools interview people a little farther down their list.

Ive been saying for years. Sign PJ Fleck to 15 year contract. Give him a blank check and let him fill it out.

To be fair Its easy to say this as it isn't my money

Agree. 1000000% agree. To add to that, I live down in Florida and have friends in several SEC and ACC athletic departments. They unanimously tell me that they are looking at PJ's salary, the MN tradition/brand and THEY SMELL BLOOD.

WE NEED TO GET ON TOP OF THIS NOW.
Mark Coyle’s email: [email protected]
I think you need to tell him about this blood thing.

It would have been really funny (not funny) if he went to Florida State and was talking about boats and oars while there was a native dude on a horse with a flaming spear.

Yup, you are right on the salary, and I am wrong. A too-quick Google search on Fleck's salary only pulled up his old salary. I do believe he is underpaid by at least 10%. I was also a little disappointed in how low his buyout was and how quickly the buyout is reduced. $10 million would definitely cushion the blow of Fleck leaving but it isn't too big to keep a lot of schools away. Our biggest advantage is that it appears Fleck is not shopping around and wants to stay here, but we are one more disappointing Michigan or Notre Dame season away from having a very nerve-racking off-season. I want Fleck to have a salary that doesn't make those jobs seem that much more enticing and a buyout that makes those schools interview people a little farther down their list.

Don’t disagree on buyout reduction. It’s basically setting up the need for another raise and extension later this year. However, I dont think Fleck leaves over just money. We’ve got the $$ and we’ll get him paid.

What is happening

Well, folks with an inferiority complex are starting threads. They think the raise we gave the coaches and the assistant coaches isn't enough and someplace like Mississippi St is going to lure him away. But all is not lost. We may actually have a savvy AD who knows when to hold 'em, knows when to fold 'em, and knows when to run. Never count your money, when you're sitting at the table, there'll be plenty of time for counting, when the dealing's done.

I may be drinking tonight...

Every SEC fanbase thinks Fleck is going to be their coach someday.
Every single SEC school has Fleck on their radar. Even if it's only what-if-Saban-dies. Every one.

Put it this way: I live in a neighborhood where everyone is a millionaire or (much) more. Money does not suggest personal merit - I know that, trust me I know. But it means my friends occupy positions whereby they know what is being said, in many cases because they are the main ones doing the saying.

Let's get this done. Enough of MN being a mediocre institution.

Right now, it’s the Mississippi State fans demanding they make a run for Fleck.

Top Bottom