Can we give the man a DAMN RAISE?????

So this is what Fleck did before leaving WMU?

Yes. You seem to think we can buy his loyalty to us if he wants to leave. We can not. But, we will certainly have a chance to pay him more if that is what he wants, just as did WMU.

So this is what Fleck did before leaving WMU?

Yes.

The fact of the matter is the athletic budget at WMU could not compete with the U for his services AND it was a job he was interested in taking.

He was courted by other schools ( Purdue, Coyle himself at Syracuse ) and Fleck said no. End of conversation.

Minnesota happened to be one of the schools on PJs wish list, Coyle was aware of this from his previous conversations with PJ or his agent and extended an offer when he took over here.

It is my firm belief that Coyle knew he wanted Fleck the day he took over here. Fleck is a one in a million. Claeys closing out the season as he did made it a difficult situation, exclusive of the scandal. If Coyle would have just come out and said 'this id my guy' the backlash would still be there, but for other reasons.

Yes.

The fact of the matter is the athletic budget at WMU could not compete with the U for his services AND it was a job he was interested in taking.

He was courted by other schools ( Purdue, Coyle himself at Syracuse ) and Fleck said no. End of conversation.

Minnesota happened to be one of the schools on PJs wish list, Coyle was aware of this from his previous conversations with PJ or his agent and extended an offer when he took over here.

It is my firm belief that Coyle knew he wanted Fleck the day he took over here. Fleck is a one in a million. Claeys closing out the season as he did made it a difficult situation, exclusive of the scandal. If Coyle would have just come out and said 'this id my guy' the backlash would still be there, but for other reasons.
Yes. You seem to think we can buy his loyalty to us if he wants to leave. We can not. But, we will certainly have a chance to pay him more if that is what he wants, just as did WMU.
Not at all what I asked. You think Fleck or his agent went back to WMU AD and would go to Coyle to try for a counter offer?

Absolutely.

I think they did somewhat to the marketplace. Not necessarily for the Gopher offer, but WMU did work up a new contract for him after people started asking. It would take some digging to work up the exact time line.

As far as a counter offer, I have to believe it happens regularly. I assume that's how Brohm ended up with such a sweetheart deal when Louisville started courting him.

When his agent asks 'They're willing to go five years at four million" to the Purdue AD, 'What do you want to do?' it's ti me to s*** or get off the pot.

Not at all what I asked. You think Fleck or his agent went back to WMU AD and would go to Coyle to try for a counter offer?

I’m sorry, but are you seriously comparing how negotiations work when you’re going from a MAC school in Kalamazoo to a Big Ten school as opposed to transferring between P5 schools?

I’m sorry, but are you seriously comparing how negotiations work when you’re going from a MAC school in Kalamazoo to a Big Ten school as opposed to transferring between P5 schools?
I'm sorry, so you think another P5 program would let Fleck go back for a counter offer?

He won't leave for more money alone.

And who could afford to pay him so much that he might? Bama? Clemson? Neither of those schools NEED/WANT a new coach.

Ohio St? Wouldn't they just try to get Urban back first? But their new coach hasn't proven he can't handle the job, yet. Tbh, Fleck hasn't proven he could do a better job at OSU.

Michigan? They are very comparable to UMn, same weather, good academics, same conference, same ancient glorious history. What does Michigan have that UMn doesn't? Bigger Stadium!! More money? Maybe they are more desperate and willing to scrounge up more for a football coach, but they'd have to be totally sold on Fleck. Do you think that they are? Has Fleck ever beaten Michigan heads up? College town feel? Maybe cheaper living costs in Ann Arbor? Even if these were attractive to Fleck, a negative would be Michigan would be less patient and would have higher expectations, and like others have said, would Michigan people be open to bringing RTB in? I doubt it.

Who else? USC? They might have the weather argument, but it's Cali, much higher cost of living and it's turning into a 3rd world country, so.... Pac-12 has to be the worst of the P5 football conferences right now as well, so even if one of the Arizona schools could come up with the money, it's apparent less and less kids want to go out west to play football. Oregon probably doesn't want a coach and same argument for UW as the others.

Oklahoma? Are they wanting a new coach? And it's Oklahoma, lol. Will OU end up in a similar situation that Nebraska is in right now?

So only schools I could even think of as maybes, would be Texas and Texas A&M. But as with Michigan, would they want his RTB stuff, and would he want the increased amount of pressure and their being less patient?

As far as I can tell, he has everything he could want right now, and he bailed on WMU, but even the WMU people are probably realistic enough to accept he had accomplished all he could there. All those schools know and accept that they are stepping stone schools. But if he bailed on Minny right now, a large portion of people would not respect him doing it. I'd say if he ever does leave, it will be only after he's gotten us to the B1G Title game and become convinced that is all the further UMn can be taken. Or if he gets us a B1G Conf Title and to the CFP where he gets beaten so badly that he feels he's taken UMn as far as it can go.

And one other aspect is that he brought people with him from WMU, Tanner Morgan for one, and his initial recruiting class, leaving them before they finish up would just be in very bad taste. So I'm thinking we have AT LEAST 2 more seasons before we have to worry. If Morgan/Ibrahim/Douglas/Autmun-Bell/etc. that initial group he brought in, sticks around 2 more years, think of how good the offense could become. I mean, I didn't even mention Bateman and Faalele. Why would he leave before that initial group finishes out? Why would he let some other guy come in and take credit for what he built from scratch basically. That 2021 team should be 100% his guys that he recruited.

Now once that group all graduates, there might be a down year coming in 2022(I'm hoping we'd have great backups ready to step in, reload instead of rebuilding)? THAT might be a good year to make a move somewhere else, especially if he wins back to back BT West Titles and either figures he'll never be able to beat whoever the BT East sends to the Title game, or maybe he does beat them one of those years and then can claim he accomplished his goal, he came, proved within a short period of time he could transform UMn into a Conf Champ, now he could move on without feeling much guilt. Now UMn would know it could be done, and he'd know he accomplished his goal? I mean, honestly, I think this is the 2nd WORST case scenario. I think it might take a little longer to accomplish that much, and I think even with that quick of success, then he'd stay on until he won a National Title

And another aspect I think Fleck might even already know, but if he doesn't yet, he could learn soon, and that is there are A TON of UMn alum out there, all over the country. And some of them have A LOT of money, and combined, the entirety of them have A WHOLE TON of money. Not saying they all would jump to throw it at the U, for football, but if just a portion of them did? Every little bit counts. And what if one of our famous alum decide to start attending games? A guy like Fleck, if he sticks around, is the kind of guy who could get things kinds of things to happen.

I will admit I am naive on this topic. You clearly have some good experience with this. Could you please explain to me the differences in how negotiations work when going MAC->P5 vs P5->P5? Thanks.

So how much is it genius? The good Lord doesn’t even know where the heck the money to pay for all the repairs they have to make to even save the East Bank Campus will come from. You must know a lot about being a retard. I’m sure you are a much better tard than I could ever hope to be...even in my wildest dreams

I'mguessing you were just using hyperbole with 5 billion, but i wanted to see if I could figure out what the number was, this article isn't current but close and this is across ALL campuses (duluth, etc...)

U of M capital request focuses entirely on infrastructure renewal across the state
February 21, 2018

https://twin-cities.umn.edu/news-ev...-entirely-infrastructure-renewal-across-state
The University of Minnesota’s 2018 capital request includes four priority initiatives totaling $238.5 million in state funding to benefit laboratories, research centers, classrooms and outreach spaces across the state:

With every raise thread on GopherHole, Fleck will soon be making as much money as Bill Gates per minute. Keep the raise for Fleck threads coming :ROFLMAO:.

OPINION EXCHANGE 566050701Crumbling academic infrastructure should be University of Minnesota regents' priority
The necessary money can come from administrative costs. Here's the documentation.
By Michael W. McNabb

DECEMBER 10, 2019 — 5:26PM
ows_157602016563374.jpg

TONY SAUNDERS • [email protected]
Coffey Hall on the Saint Paul campus of the University of Minnesota.

TEXT SIZE
EMAIL

PRINT
MORE
At their October meeting, the University of Minnesota regents approved a plan to request the Legislature issue $200 million in Higher Education Asset Preservation and Replacement (HEAPR) bonds for each of the next six years for the restoration of existing U facilities.
Almost one-third of the buildings on the Twin Cities campus (7.4 million square feet) are rated in poor or critical condition by the university administration. In February 2016, a university assistant vice president reported that the administration should be spending twice as much as it was spending simply to maintain university facilities in their current condition. (See page 8 of the Feb. 23, 2016, Senate Committee on Finance & Planning report at tinyurl.com/u-spending; click on “Meeting Minutes”.)
The costs of maintenance and restoration of existing facilities on all campuses are projected to be a staggering $4.77 billion over the next 10 years. The administration acknowledges that “a growing deferred renewal backlog has widespread impacts on academic programs, research initiatives, student experiences, and general competitiveness.” (See pages 4-5 of the October 2019 Finance & Operations Committee docket at tinyurl.com/2019-docket.)

This is the consequence of the decadeslong failure of the administration to allocate sufficient funds for the maintenance of academic facilities. At a meeting in October 2017, the university vice president responsible for infrastructure described to the regents how “insufficient stewardship” has increased the backlog of necessary maintenance. (See page 3 of the October 2017 BOR docket at tinyurl.com/2017-docket.)
During those same years, the costs of administration have skyrocketed. The former chair (and current member) of the Board of Regents has declared that the current business model of the university is “unsustainable.” (See the final paragraph on page 14 of the September 2017 BOR Friday docket at tinyurl.com/u-unsustainable.)
In the 2018 legislative session, the administration requested $200 million in HEAPR bonds. The Legislature approved $45 million. In the 2019 session, the administration again requested $200 million in HEAPR bonds. The Legislature did not pass a bonding bill, so the university received zero.
Even if the Legislature unexpectedly issued $200 million in HEAPR bonds for each of the next 10 years, the total would be less than half of what the administration deems necessary to restore the crumbling academic infrastructure. It is clear that the administration will have to start spending a far greater share of university funds on academic infrastructure and a far lesser share on the costs of administration. (See a previous commentary of mine in the Star Tribune — “U pare: The need to cut administrative costs at the University of Minnesota,” April 7 — at tinyurl.com/u-pare.)

Just as the maintenance of roads and bridges is an essential task for state and local governments, the maintenance of academic facilities should be a priority for an institution of higher education. We need an administration and a Board of Regents that will allocate the substantial resources of the university to the right priorities.

Michael W. McNabb is an attorney. Color-coded campus maps on the condition of University of Minnesota buildings are available at tinyurl.com/u-buildings.

ATTN: Laker Fan

This strib piece mentions 4.77 billion over the next 10 years...

Almost one-third of the buildings on the Twin Cities campus (7.4 million square feet) are rated in poor or critical condition by the university administration.

This sounds ominous? Roofs caving in, boilers exploding, asbestos raining into classrooms?

To be clear this was the opinion of a third party appraiser/contractor that likely has absolutely no contacts or connections with likely University contract recipients...

My reading of the 4.77B comment is that is the total maintenance cost of existing infrastructure plus the restoration/renovation costs. Of course maintenance is critical the question is whether the bids are reasonable and where the money comes from...

This sounds ominous? Roofs caving in, boilers exploding, asbestos raining into classrooms?

To be clear this was the opinion of a third party appraiser/contractor that likely has absolutely no contacts or connections with likely University contract recipients...

My reading of the 4.77B comment is that is the total maintenance cost of existing infrastructure plus the restoration/renovation costs. Of course maintenance is critical the question is whether the bids are reasonable and where the money comes from...
Basically, the longer the U of M waits, the bigger the problem gets. Inflation of building material costs, asbestos containment and abatement costs rise, and maintaining of all the newer buildings costs rise. Yes, even new buildings need maintenance. Prexys b & k dodged their responsibilities and let the campusinfrastructure go to pot. That was most unfortunate. It can no longer be put on a back burner. Take good care of the buildings... Even 2.5 to 3 billion over a 10 year period is rather overwhelming for a university IF you automatically try to low ball the costs the ravages of time, weather and neglect charge the integrity of the old buildings. The upkeep of even TCF Bank Stadium is a constant and steady drain of $$$$...

Last edited:

Basically, the longer the U of M waits, the bigger the problem gets. Inflation of building material costs, asbestos containment and abatement costs rise, and maintaining of all the newer buildings costs rise. Yes, even new buildings need maintenance. Prexys b & k dodged their responsibilities and let the campusinfrastructure go to pot. That was most unfortunate. It can no longer be put on a back burner. Take good care of the buildings... Even 2.5 to 3 billion over a 10 year period is rather overwhelming for a university IF you automatically try to low ball the costs the ravages of time, weather and neglect charge the integrity of the old buildings. The upkeep of even TCF Bank Stadium is a constant and steady drain of $$$$...
What exactly is your point as it relates to Fleck & Gopher football? A high-performing, well-attended football team is worth dramatically more to the University than whatever additional money they'd pay Fleck vs. a lower level coach.

As a stopgap measure freshmen can live in the gym until such time they make bids to fraternities.

Some people were getting crazy with throwing money around. Time for some to remind people that there are many higher priority issues at the U that have been neglected by the regents and the past two administrations (prexys b and k). Football has received a lot of financial aid, assistance, attention. A Good plan for football is in place, funded and the coach just signed a brand new, updated contract that is in place.

Now, it is WAY past time to address the FACTthat the campus infrastructure and buildings are falling apart. Does ANOTHER bridge need to collapse, fall apart and kill people here in Minnesota, more specifically on campus to get the administration and people who care about the U to realize proper action has been taken in securing the situation in the football program for the present time?

I was at the bowl game. Had a great time. Appreciate Coach Fleck, big time. But I really do WORRY About the campus of the U of M and how becoming obsolete and in disrepair will adversely impact the reputation of the U and even Coach Flecks ability to recruit football players to the U too.

it was getting pretty darn crazy here with Fleck panic. I read the report about campus blight and 4.77 billion dollar needs of the heart and soul campus of the U. Please forgive me for caring about things like that...ok?

Last edited:

Top Bottom