Can we give the man a DAMN RAISE?????

LOL imagine voluntarily living in Starkville, MS and having to compete in the SEC West. A conference schedule of LSU, Alabama, Auburn, and Texas A&M.
You are super poster.

BLOOD. THEY SMELL BLOOD. I DON'T THINK YOU GET IT.

Look, I'm no big deal. But I've had raises of $1M. ME. And I'm not the head coach of a B1G football team. We are underpaying this man - period. Everyone knows it, see it, and knows Minnesota's history of embracing the mediocre. BLOOD IS IN THE WATER RIGHT NOW.

And our winner for 1/3/20:

dbag.jpg

The U of M has infrastructure, asbestos, structural repairs and other “old campus worries” that adds up to costs of somewhere from $4.5 BILLION to $5 plus BILLION and they don’t have a clue where it will come from. A hand out from the state? And that’s just for starters. Pay more tuition? Rob a whole bunch of banks?

WOW, some folks around here appear to be freaking out.

Build a bigger, better boat, Coach.
If coach is going to hold ALL that$$$$ that all the other sec/acc/big 12/pac14 or what ever they call themselves want to throw into that ocean liner sized boat it will take to buy out the new contract Or increase the contract with the U of M by a whole bunch.

Let the dust of this last season settle down a bit. This is just the crazy, crazy,stupid,silly coaching inflation hiring, firing, stealing, negotiating, re-negotiating time that sometimes leads to buyers remorse...

At least wait until the big coaches convention before you all stroke out wanting someone else spend all that money that has already been claimed by some other University department to build some fake wall around Coach Fleck.

Nice win in Tampa though! I was there and loved every thing about it!
Just calm down a little bit here. Let Coach Fleck show us how much he loves us for being a half decent fan base who came to TAMPA to support his team. We were a LOT better than our sec opponents fans were in Ray-J Stadium, Coach Fleck ”...won’t wanna leave us now...he knows we believe and how...”. At least that should count for something to him...

Last edited:

The U of M has infrastructure, asbestos, structural repairs and other “old campus worries” that adds up to costs of somewhere from $4.5 BILLION to $5 plus BILLION that they don’t have a clue where it will come from.

WOW, some folks around here appear to be freaking out.

Build a bigger, better boat, Coach.
to hold ALL that$$$$ that all the other sec/acc/big 12/pac14 or what ever they call themselves want to throw into that ocean liner sized boat it will take to buy out the new contract and up your contract with them by a whole bunch.

Let the dust of this last season settle down a bit. This is just the crazy, crazy,stupid,silly coaching inflation hiring, firing, stealing, negotiating, re-negotiating time that sometimes leads to buyers remorse...

At least wait until the big coaches convention before you all stroke out wanting someone else spend all that money that has already been claimed by some other University department to build some fake wall around Coach Fleck.

Nice win in Tampa though! I was there and loved every thing about it!
Just calm down a little bit here. Let Coach Fleck show us how much he loves us gone ing a half decent fan base who came to TAMPA to support he and his team. We were a LOT better than our sec opponents fans were. Coach Fleck ”...won’t wanna leave us now...he knows we believe and how...”. At least that should count for something to him...

Only 4.5 - 5 billion, eh? Good Lord, what a retard you are.

Look, I'm no big deal. But I've had raises of $1M. ME. And I'm not the head coach of a B1G football team. We are underpaying this man - period. Everyone knows it, see it, and knows Minnesota's history of embracing the mediocre. BLOOD IS IN THE WATER RIGHT NOW.

We finally have nice things! EVERYBODY PANIC!!!1!

I don't get what Minnesota doesn't offer a coach like Fleck that all these SEC and ACC programs do?

If Bama, say, comes after him to replace Saban, then he has a ton of pressure to match Saban's accomplishments, and if he tries bringing RTB down there, it probably wouldn't take, and even if it did, if he didn't win as many Titles as Saban did, he and RTB would be deemed failures.

Here at Minnesota, he's king. Pitino's would have to get the bb team to a Final Four to move above where Fleck is right now and that definitely ain't happening this year. The Hockey team would have to win a Nattie, and that also is not going to be happening this year, or anytime soon as it looks. The VB team? Well, no offense but it just doesn't work that way, the VB team could win 5 Titles straight and Fleck would still be king of the hill here if he just keeps us in the Big Ten West hunt each year. If he does more than that, and wins us a B1G Conf Title and/or gets us to the CFP playoff, he'll be promoted to Emperor Fleck or some sh1t. And even if the 4-5 star players don't start coming in, his system seems to bring out the best in what he's got and he seems to be able to find a lot of the diamonds in the rough or better yet maybe he's coaching them up? He's learned from some of the best coaches out there and I don't see how he won't end up higher than even Warmath on the all-time Top Gopher football coaches Rankings to most fans even if he doesn't match the 1960 season. He's already more than matched the 1967 team. Bernie Bierman and Henry Williams are 2 of the greatest of all-time, and he could end up just underneath them, but with an entire century since HW coached and the few who remember Bierman all being in their 80s or older, he'd probably be #1 on a lot of Gopher fb fan's lists. Not a bad place to be.

What would he have to do at a place like Bama to garner as much?

And Michigan? Auburn? Miami? FSU? Like has been mentioned, which of those programs are going to want his RTB stuff? And if he leaves back to back programs after 3 years, wouldn't that start to expose him and his RTB stuff as more of a fake and shallow gimmick to get him a better gig? The guy's recruiting prowess would have to overcome that bad vibe, and his coaching prowess would have to be incredible, as no one at any of those programs is going to put up with anything but an improvement on what he's accomplished here at Minnesota and over what his predecessors at his new job have done.

And he'd possibly have to basically start over or change up his whole way of operating to be successful at a new place.

But... if he stays here, he doesn't need to change anything or start over, he just needs to keep Rowing the boat, and garnering more and more fans and believers throughout the state and even outside of the state. He'll almost assuredly get another raise come next year if he doesn't screw the pooch and have a down year. The West is not the toughest Division so it would be a lot easier to get to the point of dominating it. The fans here are loving him. The state is great. He's on top of the world. They might as well get started on writing his Bio for the cfb Hall of Fame as any coach able to get the Gophers back to being a Blue Blood program would surely garner such accolades. People keep talking about/treating UMn like it's a stepping stone program? I don't get it? Anyone think McCutchen considers this a stepping stone program? Anyone consider our hockey or wrestling programs just stepping stone programs? Even Pitino could see this as hopefully his final destination program, and if it's not, it would be more likely because we fired him, not because he left for a better job. John Anderson is the only major sport coach that could have moved on to a better job, but that is an issue the entire northern half of the country has to consider a reality, but yet, he's still here? In every sport, even the not so successful ones, this is a legacy school, a sleeping giant. Before Hebert got here, had the Gopher VB team done much of anything? Before Robinson got here, had the Wrestling program been much of anything?

Only two instances that I can think of, of someone moving onto a different/possibly better job, was Lou Holtz and he had that written in his contract, that if Notre Dame came calling, he could leave, and then the Women's BB coach who went to Maryland. But in both cases, there is no concrete evidence that had they stayed here, that they wouldn't have done just as well as they did where they moved to. Lou Holtz won his Title at ND with a lot of players that he had coming to Minnesota that instead followed him to ND. It was just the Big 2 + 8 at the time and we weren't that far removed from our 67 co-championship and our 77 win over #1 Michigan, it could have happened here then, I remember feeling the hype and energy everyone was feeling about the direction of the program just before we heard about ND making the call, and it can happen here now, it IS happening here now, in fact I think the vibe is even stronger now than when Holtz was here, and look at all of the scandal that has followed Holtz since he left here. Just one title, at a school that back then was easier to win titles at, and then what? Moved to the SEC and couldn't get it done, so just being in the SEC doesn't mean diddly. Look at Missouri and Texas A&M? And A&M has a TON of money and one of the best recruiting situations of any school. As for Freese? We've had some pretty crappy women's bb coaches since then and still had some success, had she stayed, maybe the recruiting would have been better, keep Zahui around another year maybe, that could have been special with her and Banham together that year? I'm just saying, I don't understand where the inferiority complex comes from? Isn't it also cold in Wisconsin and Michigan and Ohio and in Pennsylvania? Glen Mason got us to start believing again, and spending some money, Jerry Kill, even in the short time he was here, kicked that up a notch, and now Fleck has quickly carried the program up to a higher level. Heck, if we lose Fleck, I think we should go after Saban or Meyer, why not? What would there be to lose? If they win titles here, then no one can say, so what, anyone can win at Bama or OSU, and if they didn't win, they could blame it on the weather, lol.

As for Fleck, he's totally transformed the culture here. 5 Academic All-Americans in the last 2 years? That's more than the whole rest of the 21st century combined, isn't it? 3 players in the Shrine Bowl, another 2 in the Senior Bowl, a Sophomore talking about leaving early for the NFL, who is only our 7th Unanimous AA in our history? When was the last time we had a QB nominated for more than one watch list, and making it to past the first cut? A player winning a Disney Spirit Award? We got named the National Team of the Week after the PSU game, has that ever happened before? We got ESPN's Game Day onto campus? And it seems we traveled really well to the Bowl game, even though it could be argued was a disappointment of an invite as a few weeks earlier we were talking CFP/Rose Bowl, which would we prefer?

RTB Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers!!

I don't get what Minnesota doesn't offer a coach like Fleck that all these SEC and ACC programs do?

If Bama, say, comes after him to replace Saban, then he has a ton of pressure to match Saban's accomplishments, and if he tries bringing RTB down there, it probably wouldn't take, and even if it did, if he didn't win as many Titles as Saban did, he and RTB would be deemed failures.

Here at Minnesota, he's king. Pitino's would have to get the bb team to a Final Four to move above where Fleck is right now and that definitely ain't happening this year. The Hockey team would have to win a Nattie, and that also is not going to be happening this year, or anytime soon as it looks. The VB team? Well, no offense but it just doesn't work that way, the VB team could win 5 Titles straight and Fleck would still be king of the hill here if he just keeps us in the Big Ten West hunt each year. If he does more than that, and wins us a B1G Conf Title and/or gets us to the CFP playoff, he'll be promoted to Emperor Fleck or some sh1t. And even if the 4-5 star players don't start coming in, his system seems to bring out the best in what he's got and he seems to be able to find a lot of the diamonds in the rough or better yet maybe he's coaching them up? He's learned from some of the best coaches out there and I don't see how he won't end up higher than even Warmath on the all-time Top Gopher football coaches Rankings to most fans even if he doesn't match the 1960 season. He's already more than matched the 1967 team. Bernie Bierman and Henry Williams are 2 of the greatest of all-time, and he could end up just underneath them, but with an entire century since HW coached and the few who remember Bierman all being in their 80s or older, he'd probably be #1 on a lot of Gopher fb fan's lists. Not a bad place to be.

And Michigan? Auburn? Miami? FSU? Like has been mentioned, which of those programs are going to want his RTB stuff? And if he leaves back to back programs after 3 years, wouldn't that start to expose him and his RTB stuff as more of a fake and shallow gimmick to get him a better gig? The guy's recruiting prowess would have to overcome that bad vibe, and his coaching prowess would have to be incredible, as no one at any of those programs is going to put up with anything but an improvement on what he's accomplished here at Minnesota and over what his predecessors at his new job have done.

And he'd possibly have to basically start over or change up his whole way of operating to be successful at a new place.

But... if he stays here, he doesn't need to change anything or start over, he just needs to keep Rowing the boat, and garnering more and more fans and believers throughout the state and even outside of the state. He'll almost assuredly get another raise come next year if he doesn't screw the pooch and have a down year. The West is not the toughest Division so it would be a lot easier to get to the point of dominating it. The fans here are loving him. The state is great. He's on top of the world. They might as well get started on writing his Bio for the cfb Hall of Fame as any coach able to get the Gophers back to being a Blue Blood program would surely garner such accolades. People keep talking about/treating UMn like it's a stepping stone program? I don't get it? Anyone think McCutchen considers this a stepping stone program? Anyone consider our hockey or wrestling programs just stepping stone programs? Even Pitino could see this as hopefully his final destination program, and if it's not, it would be more likely because we fired him, not because he left for a better job. John Anderson is the only major sport coach that could have moved on to a better job, but that is an issue the entire northern half of the country has to consider a reality, but yet, he's still here? In every sport, even the not so successful ones, this is a legacy school, a sleeping giant. Before Hebert got here, had the Gopher VB team done much of anything? Before Robinson got here, had the Wrestling program been much of anything?

Only two instances that I can think of, of someone moving onto a different/possibly better job, was Lou Holtz and he had that written in his contract, that if Notre Dame came calling, he could leave, and then the Women's BB coach who went to Maryland. But in both cases, there is no concrete evidence that had they stayed here, that they wouldn't have done just as well as they did where they moved to. Lou Holtz won his Title at ND with a lot of players that he had coming to Minnesota that instead followed him to ND. It was just the Big 2 + 8 at the time and we weren't that far removed from our 67 co-championship and our 77 win over #1 Michigan, it could have happened here then, I remember feeling the hype and energy everyone was feeling about the direction of the program just before we heard about ND making the call, and it can happen here now, it IS happening here now, in fact I think the vibe is even stronger now than when Holtz was here, and look at all of the scandal that has followed Holtz since he left here. Just one title, at a school that back then was easier to win titles at, and then what? Moved to the SEC and couldn't get it done, so just being in the SEC doesn't mean diddly. Look at Missouri and Texas A&M? And A&M has a TON of money and one of the best recruiting situations of any school. As for Freese? We've had some pretty crappy women's bb coaches since then and still had some success, had she stayed, maybe the recruiting would have been better, keep Zahui around another year maybe, that could have been special with her and Banham together that year? I'm just saying, I don't understand where the inferiority complex comes from? Isn't it also cold in Wisconsin and Michigan and Ohio and in Pennsylvania? Glen Mason got us to start believing again, and spending some money, Jerry Kill, even in the short time he was here, kicked that up a notch, and now Fleck has quickly carried the program up to a higher level. Heck, if we lose Fleck, I think we should go after Saban or Meyer, why not? What would there be to lose? If they win titles here, then no one can say, so what, anyone can win at Bama or OSU, and if they didn't win, they could blame it on the weather, lol.

As for Fleck, he's totally transformed the culture here. 5 Academic All-Americans in the last 2 years? That's more than the whole rest of the 21st century combined, isn't it? 3 players in the Shrine Bowl, another 2 in the Senior Bowl, a Sophomore talking about leaving early for the NFL, who is only our 7th Unanimous AA in our history? When was the last time we had a QB nominated for more than one watch list, and making it to past the first cut? A player winning a Disney Spirit Award? We got named the National Team of the Week after the PSU game, has that ever happened before? We got ESPN's Game Day onto campus? And it seems we traveled really well to the Bowl game, even though it could be argued was a disappointment of an invite as a few weeks earlier we were talking CFP/Rose Bowl, which would we prefer?

So you want Kill back? Ok.

In the end it depends on what PJ wants.

If he wants to go, he can, he won't lock himself behind a bajillion dollar buy out clause, and the school can't make him sign it...and some schools would pay that anyway...

Hopefully PJ is our Kirk or Barry.

So how much is it genius? The good Lord doesn’t even know where the heck the money to pay for all the repairs they have to make to even save the East Bank Campus will come from. You must know a lot about being a retard. I’m sure you are a much better tard than I could ever hope to be...even in my wildest dreams

I’m hoping to understand this better.......
A person, living in Florida - who has received $1M raises is suggesting WE give Coach a $1M raise?

I think you may have just solved this urgent, “bloody” problem within your post. You could make “WE” into “ME” and by making a sizable donation from the $1M raises you’ve gotten. Bloody problem solved! Maybe “WE” can rename the Case IH Redzone to the Bloody Red Zone in appreciation of the financial support you’ve given.

So how much is it genius? The good Lord doesn’t even know where the heck the money to pay for all the repairs they have to make to even save the East Bank Campus will come from. You must know a lot about being a retard. I’m sure you are a much better tard than I could ever hope to be...even in my wildest dreams

Not disagreeing with you, really, but just wondering, you do realize this aging campus buildings issue is a nationwide problem. UMn is not even close to the only school that is going to have to figure out how to deal with issues like that.

I agree he needs more money! Make him a top 10 paid coach. If purdue can pay jeff brohm we can pay fleck. If harbaugh leaves michigan fleck is gone.

Look Touchdown ... me and you the same. I could have had a million raise but I felt bad that everyone else would be fired .... could have been a great actor but couldn't remember any of my lines ... had a great chance to play for the Vikings but I wasn't big enough or fast enough , otherwise a real good chance .... Could have been a model but I wasn't good looking enough ... actually that's not true ... I’m damn good looking. At least my dog thinks so..

Last edited:

I agree he needs more money! Make him a top 10 paid coach. If purdue can pay jeff brohm we can pay fleck. If harbaugh leaves michigan fleck is gone.

Posts like this always crack me up. If team X/Y/Z comes calling he's gone. Nevermind the fact that Fleck constantly talks about his great relationship with Mark Coyle or his desire to build a program with stability the way Iowa and Wisconsin have.

If Fleck was looking to jump ship he wouldn't have signed the extension and would have left after this season because his stock may never be higher then it is right now.

He has a great thing going at Minnesota. He is in a winnable division, has already shown he can get the team into CFP discussion, has an AD he likes, and a school that has fully bought into his Row the Boat Culture. Some people need to stop assuming it is just about money and actually listen to what Fleck is saying. He stepped into a gold mine here, and if he can build upon the success of this past season he will be a legend at the U of M. That opportunity is not available everywhere and much harder to obtain at the helmet schools.

Can someone give me a 5-sentence summary of this post please?

Can someone give me a 5-sentence summary of this post please?

#1 - UMn is a final destination school for ALL it's sports. Check Hk, VB, Wr, BB, even Bsbll.
#2 - Fleck is currently King of Minnesota right now, and will be until he has a letdown season.
#3 - Starting over always sucks, esp if new job has more pressure to succeed.
#4 - UMn's the highest final destination school this Era, that would like/accept the whole RTB thing.
#5- Fleck has totally transformed the Gopher FB program, why screw up a good thing?

I wish the raise had been bigger. If you don't think "bigger" schools wouldn't drop economic trow to get Fleck, then you're completely ignorant.

Huge Fleck fan before he got here but this has got to be the only place that he gets fans that want a statue and 6 million a year before ever even playing for a conference championship.

Every single SEC school has Fleck on their radar. Even if it's only what-if-Saban-dies. Every one.

Put it this way: I live in a neighborhood where everyone is a millionaire or (much) more. Money does not suggest personal merit - I know that, trust me I know. But it means my friends occupy positions whereby they know what is being said, in many cases because they are the main ones doing the saying.

Let's get this done. Enough of MN being a mediocre institution.

So clearly YOU have the money. Just call up Coyle and let him know you have the extra million lying around and you want to give it to Fleck to make sure he stays. It will be an outstanding headline in the paper "Anonymous donor gives Coach Fleck an extra million to make sure he won't leave". You would be a hero to all. I certainly wouldn't complain, I'd love to make sure Coach is well taken care of and won't leave.

So clearly YOU have the money. Just call up Coyle and let him know you have the extra million lying around and you want to give it to Fleck to make sure he stays. It will be an outstanding headline in the paper "Anonymous donor gives Coach Fleck an extra million to make sure he won't leave". You would be a hero to all. I certainly wouldn't complain, I'd love to make sure Coach is well taken care of and won't leave.
There is another way. Private donors at other schools have set up huge, 20 million annuities for their coach, of course he earned the big bucks by insisting on incentives, huge incentives for winning the conference etc, then winning the national title. Booster was so impressed he he created the long term play with other donors.

Huge Fleck fan before he got here but this has got to be the only place that he gets fans that want a statue and 6 million a year before ever even playing for a conference championship.

Who has called for a statue?
  • How many conference championship games has Jim Harbaugh played in at Michigan to earn his $7.5 million salary?
  • How many conference championship games has Jimbo Fisher played in at Texas A&M to earn his $7.5 million salary?
  • How many conference championship games has Tom Herman played in at Texas to earn his $6.8 million salary?
  • How many conference championship games has Jeff Brohm played in at Purdue to earn his $6.6 million salary?
  • How many conference championship games has James Franklin played in at Penn State to earn his $5.7 million salary?
  • How many conference championship games has Scott Frost played in at Nebraska to earn his $5 million salary?
  • How many conference championship games has Charlie Strong played in at South Florida to earn his $5 million salary?
  • How many conference championship games has Mark Stoops played in at Kentucky to earn his $4.8 million salary?
  • How many conference championship games did Willie Taggart play in at Florida State to earn his $5 million salary?
I don't see anyone calling for Fleck to make $6 million per year, and you are extremely mistaken if you think Minnesota is the only university with fans that want the athletic department to open up the pocketbook before playing in a championship game. The value of a head coach is not based on past results but rather future projections. People don't buy stock because of how it has performed the last 5 years but how it is expected to perform for you over the next 5 years. It is the EXACT same with coaches. A coach should be paid based on their value to your program over the next 5 years. Future projections absolutely take past performance into account, but there is more to it than that. As it stands right now, PJ Fleck has a very strong future projection as a head coach based on the results he achieved at Western Michigan and Minnesota. His recruiting, coaching abilities, and strong soft skills and other intangibles also support a strong future projection.

Yeah, Minnesota is also one of the only places in America where insiders would rat out a coach for cheating and where the admin for decades acted like it would rather get rid of football, AND where the local press cared far more about the pro teams, and seem to enjoy ragging on the college team.

So we find us a coach who not only seems to know how to win the close games, but can also keep his players out of trouble and making good grades, yeah, a statue wouldn't be a bad idea, and Purdue's coach is getting 6 mil, so why not Fleck?

Top Bottom