Cam Christie is entering the Transfer Portal

Kyle Anderson just got 9M a year and scored 6ppg
What does that have to do with Christie? SloMo is an excellent defender, passer, connector, etc. He's a proven playoff level rotation player, scoring obviously isn't his strength...

What does that have to do with Christie? SloMo is an excellent defender, passer, connector, etc. He's a proven playoff level rotation player, scoring obviously isn't his strength...
Previous poster stated ppg as reason that Christie was an overpay

Thanks for agreeing with me that ppg is only one factor in basketball, especially when considering a players worth

Previous poster stated ppg as reason that Christie was an overpay

Thanks for agreeing with me that ppg is only one factor in basketball, especially when considering a players worth
No, that’s not what I said.

Max Christie barely plays on an awful LAL team, when he did, he barely did anything on the court. In fact, at 4 points per game, scoring is what he did best. He gets virtually zero assists and doesn’t fill up that stat sheet in any category in any meaningful way.

No one and I mean no one argued that scoring is the only factor in considering a basketball player’s worth. If it makes you feel better to pretend that’s what you’re arguing against, carry on. To save yourself from future embarrassment, I probably would avoid comparing SlowMo to Max Christie though, the two guys couldn’t be more different in terms of style and production.

I'm for free markets in everything...except games.

The other side is against free markets in everything...except games.

I mean who wants to play games (basketball, Monopoly, whatever...) against someone who pulls out real cash and just buys everything up with bribes. That's not fun.

It also becomes hard to identify with, root for, think of him as representing me and my state....guys scoring 4ppg making $10M/yr. The best players...it's fine if they're icons. But when everyone, even the scrubs, are super duper rich...and all patting each other on the back all the time (instead of going McHale-Rambis on each other)...it becomes difficult to relate to.

And NO...going Luka on the crowd...using filthy language and acting thuggish towards the fans...isn't the same as McHale-Rambis. In fact, it's extra cringe, annoying, and stupid. Not competitive.

No, that’s not what I said.

Max Christie barely plays on an awful LAL team, when he did, he barely did anything on the court. In fact, at 4 points per game, scoring is what he did best. He gets virtually zero assists and doesn’t fill up that stat sheet in any category in any meaningful way.

No one and I mean no one argued that scoring is the only factor in considering a basketball player’s worth. If it makes you feel better to pretend that’s what you’re arguing against, carry on. To save yourself from future embarrassment, I probably would avoid comparing SlowMo to Max Christie though, the two guys couldn’t be more different in terms of style and production.
Future performance is a factor, but go ahead and continue counting stats

Future performance is a factor, but go ahead and continue counting stats
At least you've now pivoted from comparing Christie to Anderson (who fills up a state sheet if you're counting those stupid things). So now you've pivoted to this amorphous idea of paying an NBA free agent a ton of money based on "future performance" without factoring in statistics?

How do you know the future? What kind of evidence do you look at to determine if a young player is going to take the next leap? Obviously, you look at how productive they've been, but you seem to hate that idea because that is, again, counting stats. So what do you do? You look at their physical profile? Is Max Christie some athletic freak like Wemby (obviously without the production because Wemby also had incredible stats at all levels)? Max hasn't been productive at any level since HS. He wasn't a very good college basketball player statistically and he hasn't been a very good pro statistically.

As I said in my first post that you've disagreed with, I'm not saying it won't work out for the Lakers, I have no idea. My entire point is that his contract is an outlier. I've never seen a player accomplish so little and sign a FA contract like that.

I'd love for you to find 1 example of a player who accomplished less in college and on their rookie deal who signed their next contract for anything close to $8 million per year.

At least you've now pivoted from comparing Christie to Anderson (who fills up a state sheet if you're counting those stupid things). So now you've pivoted to this amorphous idea of paying an NBA free agent a ton of money based on "future performance" without factoring in statistics?

How do you know the future? What kind of evidence do you look at to determine if a young player is going to take the next leap? Obviously, you look at how productive they've been, but you seem to hate that idea because that is, again, counting stats. So what do you do? You look at their physical profile? Is Max Christie some athletic freak like Wemby (obviously without the production because Wemby also had incredible stats at all levels)? Max hasn't been productive at any level since HS. He wasn't a very good college basketball player statistically and he hasn't been a very good pro statistically.

As I said in my first post that you've disagreed with, I'm not saying it won't work out for the Lakers, I have no idea. My entire point is that his contract is an outlier. I've never seen a player accomplish so little and sign a FA contract like that.

I'd love for you to find 1 example of a player who accomplished less in college and on their rookie deal who signed their next contract for anything close to $8 million per year.
I brought up Anderson because you mentioned points, you can keep saying I am moving the needle but it's you.

Also, 8M is not the metric to compare, as you know the cap has increased significantly over the years. Christies Cap is ~5% of the cap for 2024. Also since it's not points, how are you defining accomplished?

Top Bottom