Cam Christie is entering the Transfer Portal

He’s gone for sure NBA if or not. No hope for next year.

Great. If you respect what your coach did for you- do it day one when you enter the NBA draft. Don't do it on the last day. That's really a dirt bag play that is selfish as can be. The way he did it, other wings are looking at him as a potential threat to playing time. Who knows who we lost out on because he waited to do this?
Man I gotta admit, the delusion some fans have about players coming back is kinda weird. First Payne now Christie. I guess whatever gets you through the day...

Again, if Cam plans to either go to the NBA or come back here what purpose does entering the portal have? He isn't "losing an opportunity" because his coach knows he is doing one or the other and will hold a spot for him. We aren't turning him away and he knows the numbers we are working with. He has a soft spot to land. He entered the portal because he wants to be somewhere else probably with better exposure and more money.

The only fault I have with any of it is he waited until today. He could have done it when he entered the draft and nothing changes about his options.

(not that it matters he is going pro)
CBJ has had to approach this offseason as if Christie is not coming back, regardless of whether it happened via the NBA or the portal. It's just not wise to intentionally hold a roster spot for another month - if he stays in the draft, you missed a month's worth of prime portal recruiting. No one's coming here if there's only a "provisional" spot for them.

Because of this, I don't think it matters one iota whether he announces portal entry April 1 or May 1. You still have to recruit as if he's not coming back.

From Christie's perspective, not going into the portal would be a serious loss of leverage should he subsequently opt out of the draft. You box yourself in to one school, and then the school has the leverage in negotiating the NIL deal because you have no other college options at that point. The DTA could theoretically low-ball him and save the dollars for the guys that might not come/stay here. If he's in the portal, he maintains the leverage.

I think this is a problem of timing. If there was a way to make the decision date for staying in the draft the same as the portal closing date (and have that date be something close to May 1), that might make this a little better.

Wrong again (not surprising from you). Parker said they get paid partially at the start of summer and again when school starts, so 2 payments.
Could be 100% blanket true but I do think it is possible Christie and Hawkins could of had other deals in addition to what Parker had.
And, I'm also going by reasons players from other schools got in the portal late.
Point being not everything is absolute...there could other reasons beyond being jerks that both those guys got in the portal late.

CBJ has had to approach this offseason as if Christie is not coming back, regardless of whether it happened via the NBA or the portal. It's just not wise to intentionally hold a roster spot for another month - if he stays in the draft, you missed a month's worth of prime portal recruiting. No one's coming here if there's only a "provisional" spot for them.

Because of this, I don't think it matters one iota whether he announces portal entry April 1 or May 1. You still have to recruit as if he's not coming back.

From Christie's perspective, not going into the portal would be a serious loss of leverage should he subsequently opt out of the draft. You box yourself in to one school, and then the school has the leverage in negotiating the NIL deal because you have no other college options at that point. The DTA could theoretically low-ball him and save the dollars for the guys that might not come/stay here. If he's in the portal, he maintains the leverage.

I think this is a problem of timing. If there was a way to make the decision date for staying in the draft the same as the portal closing date (and have that date be something close to May 1), that might make this a little better.
Lets say you are Ken Evans or Femi Okudule (sp) and you are looking at the Gophers but looking for a place you can shine as well. Up until now, they had to question whether Christie is returning or not and maybe they still do. That's why I hate the late portal jump and I still do. It's all about me and my leverage as a player. Yuck. If you are leaving....then just leave.

What a f**king mess for the program.

If he gets drafted, will they say "guard out of transfer portal"?

If it was just Cam I would agree with you. But you couple that with Payne and Hawkins and silver lining is more like aluminum foil. And there is little to no chance we will replace him with someone that has the potential he did.

Look, none of the players is irreplaceable on their own but the 3 together are going to be difficult...and even if we do even up swap out all 3 the chances the team will be able to gel at all is slim. And it isn't like even with those guys the team was some barburner, we were likely to be a bubble team. Now?

I agree we couldn't replace his "potential" but since he is likely to be replaced by a 5th year senior, we may get a fair swap on the "actual" for next season anyway.

Now? I don't know. We'll have to see but I think with Christie, Hawkins, and Payne leaving we probably can afford 4 or maybe even 5 decent players for what we would have paid them.

One way or another, I think the upcoming season will be a compelling story. We may either see an unraveling and the probable firing of a coach or we may see a surprising team performance and one of the better coaching performances by a Gopher coach in this century (I know that's a low bar).

Lol. Niko answer your phone from that unknown MN #.
Coaching?? You're STILL talking about coaching?

Constructing a boogyman in your mind...and a certain amount of delusion about Gopher basketball is okay. But do you at least realize you're delusional?

Anyway...this was expected.

What I still don't understand is how we kept Garcia.

Lets say you are Ken Evans or Femi Okudule (sp) and you are looking at the Gophers but looking for a place you can shine as well. Up until now, they had to question whether Christie is returning or not and maybe they still do. That's why I hate the late portal jump and I still do. It's all about me and my leverage as a player. Yuck. If you are leaving....then just leave.
If they still have to worry about the chance he might come back even now, why does it make a difference when you enter the portal?

Okay- this is a dirt bag move this late in the game. We now have to go spend the NIL money earmarked for him on the best wing we can get. See ya Cam.
We didn't have money earmarked. He can get at least triple elsewhere.

Yep...its also why some hate him. But branding and such along with his being everywhere is why he brings in the dollars. That is just not Ben's strength.

Yes, he's like Oscar Schindler at the beginning of Schindler's List. He walks into a fancy club/restaurant where nobody knows him. By the end of the evening, everybody knows him, wants to have a drink with him, and get their picture taken with him.

That's why I said that Ben may not be responsible for NIL but is he doing the things that may help NIL funding.

Ben won't have a job after next year. Whatever he's doing, he's running everyone out of town.
LOL. As long as you realize you're delusional, it's okay. A coping mechanism is okay.

Ben is running everyone out of town with his terrible coaching. 🤣🤣🤣

Hilarious. Good humor in here.

LOL. As long as you realize you're delusional, it's okay. A coping mechanism is okay.

Ben is running everyone out of town with his terrible coaching. 🤣🤣🤣

Hilarious. Good humor in here.
How many players has been coached by CBJand put in the NBA.... Compare it to every other coach in the B1G..... After you see the statistics (I honestly don't know them) but I bet it's very low compared to the other coaches... Maybe just maybe the feedback they are getting is go learn under (insert name here) or we will stash you in the G league where you can learn from our coaches... Coaching matters more if your in MN nil landscape than Kentucky's....

Nothing is overstating it. We can debate how much it matters, but I have to believe if Ben hadn't lost so many games his first to years, there would at least be a little more NIL money to work with.
That has nothing to do with it. The big money at other schools comes from rich boosters.

Now? I don't know. We'll have to see but I think with Christie, Hawkins, and Payne leaving we probably can afford 4 or maybe even 5 decent players for what we would have paid them.
Where are we getting these players even if we have $$ now? I know numerically there are still a ton of guys in the portal, but as @bga1 pointed out, most of the top 200 are off the board. Even if the timeline has shifted some this year, it's still probably too late to think you're getting multiple impact players now. Especially if you're MN. Hopefully they have the PG signed up. Beyond that, I expect any additions to be the 7-12 spots.

Yes, he's like Oscar Schindler at the beginning of Schindler's List. He walks into a fancy club/restaurant where nobody knows him. By the end of the evening, everybody knows him, wants to have a drink with him, and get their picture taken with him.

That's why I said that Ben may not be responsible for NIL but is he doing the things that may help NIL funding.
Not enough of it. It requires winning and building some energy around the program.

I agree we couldn't replace his "potential" but since he is likely to be replaced by a 5th year senior, we may get a fair swap on the "actual" for next season anyway.

One way or another, I think the upcoming season will be a compelling story. We may either see an unraveling and the probable firing of a coach or we may see a surprising team performance and one of the better coaching performances by a Gopher coach in this century (I know that's a low bar).

Oh I agree, there is reason for everyone to watch. It is either going to be epicly horrid and you watch it like a trainwreck or they will surprise like last year and we can have some fun.

No, I think Minnesota will be listed in his bio for his entire pro career. It's almost always the last school the player attends.

Don't mind bonin...the only thing more annoying than his inability to be positive about anything is his ability to be wrong about almost everything. ;)

We dont know that!
Entering the portal may be his way of leveraging the NBA teams for a better deal by showing them he has many good alternatives if they don't offer him what he wants.
NBA don't care..

He's going to the NBA.

Ignore the part of "and entered the transfer portal." That's a procedural thing. He's headed to the NBA. Bronny James did the same thing.

Christie is gone to the NBA.

NBA don't care..
But the NBA team that is considering drafting him does care, especially if they are considering drafting someone else.
Which every NBA team is always considering.

We dont know that!
Entering the portal may be his way of leveraging the NBA teams for a better deal by showing them he has many good alternatives if they don't offer him what he wants.

There's a rookie wage scale. He has no leverage with nba teams. His contract isn't negotiable if he's a first round pick and if he's an early 2nd round pick, there's plenty of evidence to suggest what type of deal he'll get.

Top Bottom