Cam Christie is entering the Transfer Portal

This is the move every fringe NBA player with eligibility left should do. No one should read any more into it than that. Standard operating procedure. If MN has not found its replacement in a month, they might be able to get him back. But you certainly can’t keep a spot open hoping for that scenario.

NIL is what Fleck has and it sells. Everyone know who PJ Fleck is and that alone likely draws more funds from donors.

Is that a cause or is that an effect? Of course, Fleck has more cred than Johnson because he has a record of achievement but he is also a dynamic personality who embraces the media and appears willing to do the necessary personal stuff. Part of the reason "everyone knows PJ Fleck" is because of PJ Fleck.

This is the move every fringe NBA player with eligibility left should do. No one should read any more into it than that. Standard operating procedure. If MN has not found its replacement in a month, they might be able to get him back. But you certainly can’t keep a spot open hoping for that scenario.
Great. If you respect what your coach did for you- do it day one when you enter the NBA draft. Don't do it on the last day. That's really a dirt bag play that is selfish as can be. The way he did it, other wings are looking at him as a potential threat to playing time. Who knows who we lost out on because he waited to do this?

Great. If you respect what your coach did for you- do it day one when you enter the NBA draft. Don't do it on the last day. That's really a dirt bag play that is selfish as can be. The way he did it, other wings are looking at him as a potential threat to playing time. Who knows who we lost out on because he waited to do this?
Great point! I agree

Did we not learn from Hawkins.....

Player going into the portal by May 1st with a do not contact can mean a number of things. To me he is coving all his bases and leaving all options open.

1. Looking into the NBA which has a a deadline to withdraw.
2. Enters the portal by May 1st deadline to make sure all college options are open.

He can effectively come back, go to a new school, or the NBA.

Seems like something any player in 2024 would do.
I understand that in 2024, this is what every player in Christie's position would do.......

I have no idea if Christie and CBJ have been communicating with each other.....

That being said, if Christie waited till hours before the portal deadline and enters the portal without giving CBJ notice and with no intent of returning to the U, than that is absolutely BS. If this was the plan all along and CBJ hasn't known about it and hasn't been able to recruit potential replacements, that says a lot about Christie's character...

It was always less than 50/50 he'd be back. If they weren't recruiting accordingly, that's on the coaches. Hawkins was a different situation. From "I'm in" to gone in a week.

Since the transfer portal came to fruition... How many fridge players that declared for the NBA draft didn't enter the portal... All this should of been known

CBJ has 0 NBA coaches clamoring for him to coach these players.... Who would comeback in their right mind

Since the transfer portal came to fruition... How many fridge players that declared for the NBA draft didn't enter the portal... All this should of been known

CBJ has 0 NBA coaches clamoring for him to coach these players.... Who would comeback in their right mind
Christie will be better next year if he is in college. I have no doubt that he will work hard on his game. That said Ben gave him more spotlight opportunity that he would have gotten at the power school level than almost anyone. Ben invested a ton in him and Christie got noticeably better during the season.

Not the same situation as Hawk.

Pretty confident saying Ben was not caught by surprise. Christie simply covering all his bases. Why wouldn’t he?

Though I agree it’s not likely he returns, he’s left that possibility open. Little premature to rip him a new a-hole, I think.

Don't think so. The portal is closing. So he did this so he had maximum choices if and when he decides to come back to the NCAA, which he will. He'd be lucky to be a second round pick this year. So he'll come back and play for someone else and then go pro. Ben won't have a job after next year. Whatever he's doing, he's running everyone out of town.
Will boo him if he returns.

What if the Wolves draft him?
The wolves drafted a few MN college players including Rick Richart. Never panned out for the player or the wolves. Cam will never see the NBA court other than a pre-season game.

The wolves drafted a few MN college players including Rick Richart. Never panned out for the player or the wolves. Cam will never see the NBA court other than a pre-season game.
Based on?

Maybe he was just procrastinating the performance of an unpleasant task until he the last minute. Most of us probably have done that once or twice in our lives.

I'm not completely crushed by this because I meant what I said about the cash savings being a silver lining. I think we rightly valued Christie highly but that was based more on potential than actual performance as a freshman. Christie was good but not great as a freshman. His player efficiency rating was 13.6 for the year, a little below average and his True Shooting Percentage was 54.4%, about average and only 7th on the team among the usual rotation players. I don't know the dollar figure the program was trying to accumulate for his anticipated NIL payment but it could have been more than he was worth for a team with our modest means.
If it was just Cam I would agree with you. But you couple that with Payne and Hawkins and silver lining is more like aluminum foil. And there is little to no chance we will replace him with someone that has the potential he did.

Look, none of the players is irreplaceable on their own but the 3 together are going to be difficult...and even if we do even up swap out all 3 the chances the team will be able to gel at all is slim. And it isn't like even with those guys the team was some barburner, we were likely to be a bubble team. Now?

If it was just Cam I would agree with you. But you couple that with Payne and Hawkins and silver lining is more like aluminum foil. And there is little to no chance we will replace him with someone that has the potential he did.

Look, none of the players is irreplaceable on their own but the 3 together are going to be difficult...and even if we do even up swap out all 3 the chances the team will be able to gel at all is slim. And it isn't like even with those guys the team was some barburner, we were likely to be a bubble team. Now?
I mean the silver lining for the negative crowd is that if the team struggles, Johnson gets fired......

Will be interesting to see who we end up with and how they all look when they take the court together. Certainly feels like it is going to be an uphill battle to even replicate last year but until we see a final roster in action there really is no way to know for sure.

Man I gotta admit, the delusion some fans have about players coming back is kinda weird. First Payne now Christie. I guess whatever gets you through the day...

Again, if Cam plans to either go to the NBA or come back here what purpose does entering the portal have? He isn't "losing an opportunity" because his coach knows he is doing one or the other and will hold a spot for him. We aren't turning him away and he knows the numbers we are working with. He has a soft spot to land. He entered the portal because he wants to be somewhere else probably with better exposure and more money.

The only fault I have with any of it is he waited until today. He could have done it when he entered the draft and nothing changes about his options.

(not that it matters he is going pro)

Is that a cause or is that an effect? Of course, Fleck has more cred than Johnson because he has a record of achievement but he is also a dynamic personality who embraces the media and appears willing to do the necessary personal stuff. Part of the reason "everyone knows PJ Fleck" is because of PJ Fleck.
Yep...its also why some hate him. But branding and such along with his being everywhere is why he brings in the dollars. That is just not Ben's strength.

I mean the silver lining for the negative crowd is that if the team struggles, Johnson gets fired......

Will be interesting to see who we end up with and how they all look when they take the court together. Certainly feels like it is going to be an uphill battle to even replicate last year but until we see a final roster in action there really is no way to know for sure.
If we do as well or better it will have to be because the players are a better fit and we play better defense - by a lot. Rigsby is a good defensive player and I believe Patterson is (if we get him) is a good defender as well. I think Asuma will be good on that end. So this might be a more physical, slightly less speedy and athletic squad depending on how it all fills out. Maybe a kid like Betts steps up and becomes a player or perhaps Caleb Williams can share the point guard slot and drill open shots at a high rate.
Payne has higher potential than Mitchell but maybe Mitchell's rebounding is the right match for Garcia. We need a Vince Grier type to sign late. I hope it is Evans but maybe there is someone else out there who can be that guy. Still need another big like Edmunds as well....

Name your price. Your bitterness is clouding your judgement and I definitely want to captialize!

Look I am not Johnson's biggest fan...but I would rather eat crow than watch him get fired. Even if he was a very good coach though this would be hard to overcome. Losing 3 starters to the portal is not easy...

I will go on record as saying if, despite all this, the team still is better this year than last, then I will take back a lot of what I said because it will take a pretty good coach to take a bunch of spare parts and make a successful squad.

Another couple years of this until the players unionize and the schools make them employees. That should stabilize things a bit. Think that's where we're headed.
But why would this make NIL go away?

It just means the low end guys will have to be paid. The good players will still go to the highest NIL bidders and then get that money and the money from the school.

And the schools will cut the non-revenue sports because that is where the vast majority of the profits from football and basketball go.

What I hate about this whole thing is that it is all about me (Cam Christie). I thought he was better than that. If he had went into the portal early in the process Ben has a decent chance to replace him even up. Now- most of the top 200 kids are signed up. Two weeks ago they still thought he might come back because they were out there hustling NIL funds for him. He just stuck it in the eye of a coach that featured him and went out of his way to do so.
As I mentioned once before...they get periodic NIL checks....I don't know if it's weekly or monthly.
But the longer you wait the more NIL checks you get from Minnesota. I'm guessing the players feel they earned that money. Quite possibly part of why Hawkins and Christie waited to leave until near the end of the portal.

NIL is not the only reason somebody would transfer anywhere or from the Gophers.
Don't think we can just blanket say that's the reason. Bunch of our transfers are not getting paid more by somebody else.

As I mentioned once before...they get periodic NIL checks....I don't know if it's weekly or monthly.
But the longer you wait the more NIL checks you get from Minnesota. I'm guessing the players feel they earned that money. Quite possibly part of why Hawkins and Christie waited to leave until near the end of the portal.
Wrong again (not surprising from you). Parker said they get paid partially at the start of summer and again when school starts, so 2 payments.

Top Bottom