Cam Christie is entering the Transfer Portal

I guess that's the only silver lining.
What I hate about this whole thing is that it is all about me (Cam Christie). I thought he was better than that. If he had went into the portal early in the process Ben has a decent chance to replace him even up. Now- most of the top 200 kids are signed up. Two weeks ago they still thought he might come back because they were out there hustling NIL funds for him. He just stuck it in the eye of a coach that featured him and went out of his way to do so.

I think this is the straw that broke this camels back.

I think we have a awful coach.

I think we have average to below average NIL.

I think the NCAA is broken.

Is all of this one person's fault, not in the least. But the system and our program is broken beyond repair. I can't say I'll quit watching or caring completely, but investing time and money will stop. Maybe in a year a new coach will invigorate my enthusiasm, or maybe a summer off and having nothing to do in the dead of winter will spark something. But as of today I can't see being too invested in the Gopher MBB team, it's a guaranteed kick in the shorts around every turn. I'm just going to watch highlights of the final four team to pass the time. 😔

I think this is the straw that broke this camels back.

I think we have a awful coach.

I think we have average to below average NIL.

I think the NCAA is broken.

Is all of this one person's fault, not in the least. But the system and our program is broken beyond repair. I can't say I'll quit watching or caring completely, but investing time and money will stop. Maybe in a year a new coach will invigorate my enthusiasm, or maybe a summer off and having nothing to do in the dead of winter will spark something. But as of today I can't see being too invested in the Gopher MBB team, it's a guaranteed kick in the shorts around every turn. I'm just going to watch highlights of the final four team to pass the time. 😔

Problem is until you get a coach that can put a legit team on the floor, no one will care or support them. I used to love college hoops, and I can't even be bothered to watch our team. I watched one game, we played some Big 12 school and blew a 15 point lead late. I forget who. But that was it. I saw what a shit product we had and said I won't watch.

LOL. Money. What a clown show. Schools or NIL collectives will eventually be suing for financial damages for getting bent over late in the process like this.

Problem is until you get a coach that can put a legit team on the floor, no one will care or support them. I used to love college hoops, and I can't even be bothered to watch our team. I watched one game, we played some Big 12 school and blew a 15 point lead late. I forget who. But that was it. I saw what a shit product we had and said I won't watch.
Missouri. We led by over 20. The sad part is- we were close to being a good product to watch last year. That was a fun team with potential. Now it is gutted and we start over again without 3 starters who should have been here next year. What a mess.

What I hate about this whole thing is that it is all about me (Cam Christie). I thought he was better than that. If he had went into the portal early in the process Ben has a decent chance to replace him even up. Now- most of the top 200 kids are signed up. Two weeks ago they still thought he might come back because they were out there hustling NIL funds for him. He just stuck it in the eye of a coach that featured him and went out of his way to do so.

Maybe he was just procrastinating the performance of an unpleasant task until he the last minute. Most of us probably have done that once or twice in our lives.

I'm not completely crushed by this because I meant what I said about the cash savings being a silver lining. I think we rightly valued Christie highly but that was based more on potential than actual performance as a freshman. Christie was good but not great as a freshman. His player efficiency rating was 13.6 for the year, a little below average and his True Shooting Percentage was 54.4%, about average and only 7th on the team among the usual rotation players. I don't know the dollar figure the program was trying to accumulate for his anticipated NIL payment but it could have been more than he was worth for a team with our modest means.

You must have been a big fan if you watched one game! And can’t remember who the loss was too. It’s not like you had a lot of game experiences to confuse you.

Player going into the portal by May 1st with a do not contact can mean a number of things. To me he is coving all his bases and leaving all options open.

1. Looking into the NBA which has a a deadline to withdraw.
2. Enters the portal by May 1st deadline to make sure all college options are open.

He can effectively come back, go to a new school, or the NBA.

Seems like something any player in 2024 would do.

… It's the end of the world as we know it (time I had some time alone)
It's the end of the world as we know it (time I had some time alone)
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine (time I had some time alone)

… It's the end of the world as we know it
It's the end of the world as we know it
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine (time I had some time alone)

So predictable.
But yeah, for sure, tie your program to ANOTHER year of the disaster that is Ben Johnson. And then whine about NIL.
Stupid is as stupid does.
Yeah. The "this is a top 25 team if everyone's back!" was never going to happen. But losing 3 of the 4 most important starters is even worse than feared.

He may not control the money going to NIL but how much is he helping? We know that Fleck has made appearances to donors and has spoken through media about critical NIL shortages for his program.
NIL is what Fleck has and it sells. Everyone know who PJ Fleck is and that alone likely draws more funds from donors.

NIL is what Fleck has and it sells. Everyone know who PJ Fleck is and that alone likely draws more funds from donors.
Fleck wins more than he looses... That in itself brings in n.i.l.

If CBJ would just win people will donate... People won't donate to a dead man walking who can't coach....

Another couple years of this until the players unionize and the schools make them employees. That should stabilize things a bit. Think that's where we're headed.

This shouldn't be surprising- regardless of what he ends up doing, needs to look out for himself and this is a formality. For context:
1714586172726.png

Another couple years of this until the players unionize and the schools make them employees. That should stabilize things a bit. Think that's where we're headed.
Yep. That and the final round of conference realignment that finishes off the ACC and other.

So I have to assume the NBA scouts are telling him he needs to go to a blue blood program for one season before re-entering the draft.
I doubt it. Caitlin Clark stayed home and was the #1 overall pick by a landslide. Draft scouts could care less about where they play. Anthony Edwards was #1 at Georgia and Cade Cunningham was #1 at OKState which aren't blue bloods. If you can play you can play.

Whatever Ben is doing is not having enough money to compete with the blue-blood schools. If/When Christie comes back to NCAA he will go to a program with some serious cash for him. That is just the way that college basketball is now. Hell, we would all act the same way if we were 20-year olds in college who were given the opportunity to get serious cash. I can't fault him but it hurts to see that this is the way college basketball is now. This is just the landscape now
We've never been able to compete with the blue bloods for players.

We also have no idea why players are leaving or how much money they are offered here versus elsewhere.

Bronnie James did the same thing. Get ready for the NBA and enter the portal too. Interpretation: NBA maneuver. The enter portal part is not the main event.

This shouldn't be surprising- regardless of what he ends up doing, needs to look out for himself and this is a formality. For context:
View attachment 31277
Not exactly Apples to Apples given the age of the players but similar situation in terms of keeping his options open if he does come back.

Disappointing but not surprising move on Cam's part. Will be interesting to see what he ultimately ends of doing.

It's time to call niko. He does more with less... If we're going to be getting a new roster every year we need a coach who can f"n coach... This experiment is over right MEOW
Without a doubt Hawkins, Cristie, and Payne would have given up hundreds of thousands of dollars to play for Niko.
It's time to call niko. He does more with less... If we're going to be getting a new roster every year we need a coach who can f"n coach... This experiment is over right MEOW

Top Bottom