Caledonia native Eli King in portal from Iowa State

Indeed.

Being from Minnesota is about the only reason, right now, why any DI player that would be a big help to us who is in the portal would actually consider transferring here.

At this point: Until Ben proves that he can turn it around, and starts putting up wins, guys who aren't from MN aren't going to want to touch this program with a ten foot pole.
If my kid were transferring out elsewhere I wouldn't let him touch the Gophers with a 10ft pole right now.

Last edited:

Indeed.

Being from Minnesota is about the only reason, right now, why any DI player that would be a big help to us who is in the portal would actually consider transferring here.

At this point: Until Ben proves that he can turn it around, and starts putting up wins, guys who aren't from MN aren't going to want to touch this program with a ten foot pole.
Facts!

Indeed.

It's only going to get tougher for Ben to turn this around. At the start, no one knew anything about him and might take a chance on him. It is now clear that he's in over his head and no one with any sort of sense is going to trust him to be their path to wins or a professional career. I don't see how the talent level is going to increase until he's relieved of his duties.

Are we even in on King? Is he a point guard? We can use any guard of any consequence at this point though and he does come with a local cache

It's hard to know what's real and what's internet BS.

I see people tweeting about how the Gophers have "shown interest" in this player or "reached out to" that player. Tony Liebert on Twitter listed King as a "potential" transfer target - but what that means, I can't say.

as of right now, based on Twitter, it sounds like the guard they're after is Mike Mitchell from Pepperdine. Liebert also tweeted that the Gophers have had a zoom meeting with Javon Small from East Carolina and have 'contacted' Reese Dixon-Waters from USC.

in general, it appears that they are talking to bigger guards. King is very athletic but not as tall so I don't know if that is an issue in how he is being evaluated.

Every time I read this headline I think "Elle King?????"
Photo included for reference.....

elle-king.jpg

The kid already didn't want to come here. The program is currently a dumpster fire and your gonna tell him we're thinking about offering you? If I'm Eli, I'm telling you to get f@ck#d, if I even take the call.
Nice assumption. Not what I said. Do you think the conversation/phone call goes like this: "Hey (insert name here), this is Ben Johnson. Do you want a scholly?" No, that's not how the conversations go. A coach makes contact. An introductory phone call. Each side gauges interest. Ben should at least TALK to Eli. See what his story is. See where he (Eli) thinks he might fit, etc... I would love to be a fly on the wall for the sales pitch from Ben.

Nice assumption. Not what I said. Do you think the conversation/phone call goes like this: "Hey (insert name here), this is Ben Johnson. Do you want a scholly?" No, that's not how the conversations go. A coach makes contact. An introductory phone call. Each side gauges interest. Ben should at least TALK to Eli. See what his story is. See where he (Eli) thinks he might fit, etc... I would love to be a fly on the wall for the sales pitch from Ben.
Again, simple tasks are not always easy for everyone.

Above .500 with someone else’s players then lost the players. Pitino was under .500 and got 7 years but y’all got Ben on the hot seat after a year full of injuries?!?!? What’s the difference between Ben and Whalen or Pitino beside… well we know
Meaning after she had 3 consecutive losing seasons they fired her even with her recruiting well. Ben can't control injuries but it's his job to build enough depth where we can have someone fill the role of an injured player.

Above .500 with someone else’s players then lost the players. Pitino was under .500 and got 7 years but y’all got Ben on the hot seat after a year full of injuries?!?!? What’s the difference between Ben and Whalen or Pitino beside… well we know
My god, on a board filled with awful takes you just took the crown. That laughing people do when you are around is not because people think you are funny, it is because the things you say are so ridiculously bad people can't help themselves.

Seriously, seek help.

Ihnen was promised 4 years. He has already had that. Fox was promised one (I think). He has already had 2 and looks like he will be here one more. So, the U has honored it's commitment to these 2 fine student athletes. If for some reason they both blow out their knees again this summer they then get even one more year? PHD maybe. Hire them as faculty. Now starting at the 2, 29 year old Isaiah Ihnen. Now starting at forward, 30 year old Parker Fox.

Works for Mankato Mavericks Hockey ;)

I wonder how people feel about this guy??? I've seen lots of people say we wouldn't look twice at a kid with King's stats if he wasn't from MN. For me, I'd take Pierre in a heartbeat. No local connections. Similar stats to King's. But he's a PG (like King). And he just completed his freshman year under a good defensive-minded coach.

With 5 open scholarships, we need to acquire talent. I'd take a chance on both.

I wonder how people feel about this guy??? I've seen lots of people say we wouldn't look twice at a kid with King's stats if he wasn't from MN. For me, I'd take Pierre in a heartbeat. No local connections. Similar stats to King's. But he's a PG (like King). And he just completed his freshman year under a good defensive-minded coach.

he played in every game for the Friers averaging 11 mins a game.......compared to the 9 games king played....and for 3.4 mintues a game.....he proved to be a rotational player on a tourney team.....dont compare the twos stats....

i'd take a chance on pierre before i took a chance on king....thats for damn sure

as you said with 5 open schollys....this guy is certainly worth one of them.....he shoudlnt be relied on to step in and be the lead PG....but give me a high end true PG and i would be fine with Pierre as my 2nd/3rd transfer guard.....

My god, on a board filled with awful takes you just took the crown. That laughing people do when you are around is not because people think you are funny, it is because the things you say are so ridiculously bad people can't help themselves.

Seriously, seek help.
Lil sensitive I see! You could always ignore it. Must’ve struck a nerve

But seriously… I know way more about basketballs then you and 80% of this board but since it’s turned into FOX News I figured I’d troll a little bit. Sad how angry people get over a diversity hire. Especially when the last mens and womens Coach were privilege hires

But seriously… I know way more about basketballs then you and 80% of this board but since it’s turned into FOX News I figured I’d troll a little bit. Sad how angry people get over a diversity hire. Especially when the last mens and womens Coach were privilege hires
It's sad that people care more about experience than race when hiring? Pitino was unqualified, so we should make another unqualified hire because he's black? It's scary that there's people that think like you.

People with lack of logic and stupid takes tend to annoy me yes.

But hey, I must be racist. Was I racist when I defended the hire? Or does the racist card only work when you just have no competent things to say on a topic?

You assume a lot.

Do you know more about grammar and logic than anyone? If so I weep for them because good lord...

(a) No you don't. You're a dumb person. Dumb people don't know more than 80% of a group of people about anything.

(b) Pitino was a privilege hire and it was a terrible hire. Hiring anyone for a reason other than their ability to do the job is insanely stupid. I think the Wolves were incredibly stupid for hiring Ryan Saunders and was loudly outspoken against the suggestion. We should hire the best person for the job regardless of their ethnicity.

(c) Lindsay is not a "privilege" hire. There isn't a privilege in making yourself into making yourself your legend. She has that "legend" privilege? WTF? See paragraph (a), it's another horrific take. Now, it doesn't make her good hire, she wasn't. She just wasn't "privileged", she earned her status.

(a) No you don't. You're a dumb person. Dumb people don't know more than 80% of a group of people about anything.

(b) Pitino was a privilege hire and it was a terrible hire. Hiring anyone for a reason other than their ability to do the job is insanely stupid. I think the Wolves were incredibly stupid for hiring Ryan Saunders and was loudly outspoken against the suggestion. We should hire the best person for the job regardless of their ethnicity.

(c) Lindsay is not a "privilege" hire. There isn't a privilege in making yourself into making yourself your legend. She has that "legend" privilege? WTF? See paragraph (a), it's another horrific take. Now, it doesn't make her good hire, she wasn't. She just wasn't "privileged", she earned her status.
Of course Lindsay was a privilege hire. She was an outstanding player with a highly recognizable name...who had never coached at the pee-wee level. Pitino also had a highly recognizable name and he actually had some coaching experience. Both were lousy at their jobs. To pretend that Pitino was a privilege hire and Lindsay wasn't is vacant thinking. Playing isn't coaching.

Of course Lindsay was a privilege hire. She was an outstanding player with a highly recognizable name...who had never coached at the pee-wee level. Pitino also had a highly recognizable name and he actually had some coaching experience. Both were lousy at their jobs. To pretend that Pitino was a privilege hire and Lindsay wasn't is vacant thinking. Playing isn't coaching.
I guess it depends on your definition of “privilege”. Lindsay was not qualified to be hired but she was hired due to something she earned - her legendary status. Does that mean it’s the right reason to hire someone? Absolutely not, but there are tons of incorrect reasons to hire someone that have nothing to do with privilege.

Pitino’s privilege was unearned. He was born into the right family. Lindsay’s “privilege” was earned, her actions and her accomplishments created her “privilege”.

Typically, when people talk about “privilege” it’s in the context of unearned advantages (white privilege, male privilege, etc.). You don’t hear people talk about “work ethic privilege” or “intelligence privilege” or “good decision privilege”.

he played in every game for the Friers averaging 11 mins a game.......compared to the 9 games king played....and for 3.4 mintues a game.....he proved to be a rotational player on a tourney team.....dont compare the twos stats....

i'd take a chance on pierre before i took a chance on king....thats for damn sure

as you said with 5 open schollys....this guy is certainly worth one of them.....he shoudlnt be relied on to step in and be the lead PG....but give me a high end true PG and i would be fine with Pierre as my 2nd/3rd transfer guard.....
It’s funny that this guy shouldn’t be relied on, yet we are relying on Payne / Carrington / *Christie / JOJ - all three freshmen last year would probably see around the same time as this guy last year at Providence. Heck Carrington doesn’t make that roster and JOJ probably doesn’t play a minute as he is a weird tweener (and I like JOJ, but he isn’t a true SF with his offensive game and he is too small for a PF).

If this guy was on the Gophers last year he may have averaged 11.5 pts, 4.5 Rebs, 3.2 ast per game while shooting 41% on treys and 80%+ at the stripe

It’s funny that this guy shouldn’t be relied on, yet we are relying on Payne / Carrington / *Christie / JOJ - all three freshmen last year would probably see around the same time as this guy last year at Providence. Heck Carrington doesn’t make that roster and JOJ probably doesn’t play a minute as he is a weird tweener (and I like JOJ, but he isn’t a true SF with his offensive game and he is too small for a PF).

If this guy was on the Gophers last year he may have averaged 11.5 pts, 4.5 Rebs, 3.2 ast per game while shooting 41% on treys and 80%+ at the stripe
Who said Pierre "shouldn't be relied on"????? I'd take him in a heartbeat.

-i am not relying on Carrington at all....i dont love his game
-i hope Christie can take the reins and run with the SG spot. so yes i am relying/hoping on him.
-JOJ proved last year he can play in the big ten....but in my opinon, in a perfect world, we can find a big wing/3rd guard so JOJ can back up both the 3 & 4 spots as needed....
-yes i am relying on Payne.....but we need a solid back up center behind him as his foul trouble and free throw shooting are going to hold him back from playing a full slate of minutes

Pierre very well could have put up those stats with us last year. i think he would be a very very solid get. do i hope we would be able to get maybe a higher end PG to pair with him? for sure i do.

would i take lets say....Mitchel, Pierre combo....for sure
would i take a Pierre, 2nd guard combo....for sure....
so long story short....pierre would be a great get for Ben and i hope the relationship they built matters now.....

Who said Pierre "shouldn't be relied on"????? I'd take him in a heartbeat.
The comment that he shouldn’t be relied on to be the starting PG. I know the plan is to get a transfer with experience in the portal but who knows if that will happen and if that doesn’t, I’d rather have him running point then Carrington

The comment that he shouldn’t be relied on to be the starting PG. I know the plan is to get a transfer with experience in the portal but who knows if that will happen and if that doesn’t, I’d rather have him running point then Carrington
obviously nobody would say anything different.....
i maybe used the wrong wording when saying he shouldnt be relied on.....i should have said i would prefer to get an esperienced guy along with him....

i would think its a stretch that he leaves the east coast.....but i for one would be pretty excited about adding him

-i am not relying on Carrington at all....i dont love his game
-i hope Christie can take the reins and run with the SG spot. so yes i am relying/hoping on him.
-JOJ proved last year he can play in the big ten....but in my opinon, in a perfect world, we can find a big wing/3rd guard so JOJ can back up both the 3 & 4 spots as needed....
-yes i am relying on Payne.....but we need a solid back up center behind him as his foul trouble and free throw shooting are going to hold him back from playing a full slate of minutes

Pierre very well could have put up those stats with us last year. i think he would be a very very solid get. do i hope we would be able to get maybe a higher end PG to pair with him? for sure i do.

would i take lets say....Mitchel, Pierre combo....for sure
would i take a Pierre, 2nd guard combo....for sure....
so long story short....pierre would be a great get for Ben and i hope the relationship they built matters now.....
I would take Pierre as well. All I was saying in my original post is that we can probably rely on this guy more than any gopher freshmen as he got minutes on a real team, where most our guys (with exception of Payne) would not have seen the floor.

I mean we also offered him and he visited, so I’d assume the staff would be looking at him and yeah I’d take him. We’re in need of guards

Top Bottom