Caledonia native Eli King in portal from Iowa State

Being a great point guard, floor leader, team leader, and strategist is obvious preparation for coaching.

No one would expect Tanner Morgan to be a flop if he pursues coaching.
No one expected Lindsay to not succeed either, except a few. There were no assurances of either Lindsay or Tanner being a successful coach. Your point implied that Lindsay would be a "deadlock" success. That was the wrong presupposition. She had a background that could have succeeded, not a background that guaranteed success.

She tried and didn't succeed. Lots of people do that and brush themselves off and move on. It's not a big deal.

No one expected Lindsay to not succeed either, except a few. There were no assurances of either Lindsay or Tanner being a successful coach. Your point implied that Lindsay would be a "deadlock" success. That was the wrong presupposition. She had a background that could have succeeded, not a background that guaranteed success.

She tried and didn't succeed. Lots of people do that and brush themselves off and move on. It's not a big deal.
Point well taken on "dead lock". Too strong. But viewing her background as overwhelming indicator of future coaching success stands.

I'm in the minority, but it's not surprising to me that Whalen didn't have more success. Playing and coaching require two entirely different skill sets and you don't see a lot of great players automatically becoming great coaches. It can be difficult to teach something to someone else that is innate--or easily acquired--for you. I'm not saying that is what sunk Whalen's coaching career, but it does have to be frustrating to be unable to get things that she was able to master across to players who have more difficulty with that.

I'm in the minority, but it's not surprising to me that Whalen didn't have more success. Playing and coaching require two entirely different skill sets and you don't see a lot of great players automatically becoming great coaches. It can be difficult to teach something to someone else that is innate--or easily acquired--for you. I'm not saying that is what sunk Whalen's coaching career, but it does have to be frustrating to be unable to get things that she was able to master across to players who have more difficulty with that.
Dawn Staley would disagree.......

(A) You're wrong, again. There are tons of examples of people who went from player to coach and were hired because they excelled at playing the very thing they are now tasked with coaching. You are acting like people were thinking. . . Lindsay Whalen is a great singer, we should make her a basketball coach. She was GREAT at the very sport she was hired to coach.

Doc Rivers was never even an assistant coach before he was hired to coach the Magic.
Steve Kerr was never even an assistant coach before he was hired to coach the Warriors.

Just a couple of REALLY modern examples of guys who were great basketball players who used that and $4 to get a cup of coffee at Starbucks. . . and win multiple COY awards. . . and coach several All Star Games. . . and win a handful of NBA championships.

In case you're wondering, here are some other coaches who went from playing straight into coaching: Lenny Wilkens, Jason Kidd, Larry Bird, Steve Nash, Isiah Thomas, Bill Russell. Now if you add in guys with just a year or two of experience as an assistant, that list gets enormous.

My point: tons of people have been extremely successful transitioning almost immediately from player to coach.

When you dig in and pretend to miss a point, it forces you into a corner of truly horrible takes.

(B) More importantly, you completely missed the point which is not surprising because you're completely dug in on this abysmal take. Just because something isn't a good reason for hiring someone does not mean the hire was based on "privilege".

Lindsay earned her reputation. Doc Rivers earned his reputation. Steve Kerr earned his reputation. Does that mean that's a model that I'd use to hire a basketball coach, god no. I don't think it usually translates. However, they EARNED the very reason why they were hired. We can argue whether or not that is a good reason.

You're attempts to pretend to not understand the difference between unearned benefit and earned benefit have you clearly in knots trying to force logic into this take. You're now making arguments that Pitino was less of a privilege hire than Lindsay Whalen.

Pitino, who got every job in basketball because he was Rick Pitino's son, is less privileged than Lindsay Whalen who got every job coaching basketball because was a legend at playing basketball.

There isn't even a word for the type of "privilege" you're still pretending you think Lindsay Whalen has. She was an amazing basketball player from Minnesota and Coyle attempted to do his version of the countless examples in paragraph (a). I think it was a really bad decision by Coyle but it was not a "privilege" hire.
How many billable hours did this treatise cost your firm?

Or was it still billed to your client (shady as 💩 if I recall the plot of The Firm correctly)?

Does anyone have the number of the MN. Chapter of the ABA handy?

Well we haven't heard shit... Isn't there an old saying... "No news is good news"??... There's my positivity for the next week....

This thread is a mess. Nove it back to news about king

This thread is a mess. Nove it back to news about king
It would be great if every thread on Gopherhole stayed on topic but that would require the mods to spend their entire day moving and deleting posts.

What we know is that King is in the portal, a bunch of unnamed teams reached out and at that time the Gophers weren't one of them according to his dad. Pretty much been crickets after that.

He's not exactly a big newsmaker. Maybe someone should just start a new thread.
Chances are when he finally commits somewhere a new one will get started. That is how it usually goes around here.

Chances are when he finally commits somewhere a new one will get started. That is how it usually goes around here.

I meant start a new thread about whatever off-track subject is being discussed. People are kind of lazy about starting new threads here so you end up with ridiculously long threads that have long since departed from their original focus.

Nothing posted in here can mute the past to gopher mens hoops results. - Away all boats!’

I meant start a new thread about whatever off-track subject is being discussed. People are kind of lazy about starting new threads here so you end up with ridiculously long threads that have long since departed from their original focus.
Nice idea.....never going to happen though :)

I expect a coaching change soon and Eli and others to show interest in the U.

Dawn Staley would disagree.......

Even then, Dawn Staley didn't make a Final Four until her 15th season as a head coach. She got to cut her teeth in a mid-major conference and had eight years of head coaching experience before ever coaching a game as a high major head coach.

Even then, Dawn Staley didn't make a Final Four until her 15th season as a head coach. She got to cut her teeth in a mid-major conference and had eight years of head coaching experience before ever coaching a game as a high major head coach.
She was a slow learner.

The fact that he is dropping down from the Big 12 to a lower tier D1 school like UND would certainly make it seem like if he did have other options they weren't very attractive ones.
He probably wants to see the floor a lot right away. No shame in that. Go Sue!

Top Bottom