Caledonia native Eli King in portal from Iowa State

King a really nice addition for UND. Was impressed with the young talent Fighting Sioux had this past season, especially Eaglestaff and Omot. Chance for the Sioux to be a Summit League sleeper next season.

Posters who were shaking their head at other posters who suggested that King was not (currently) P6-level material might learn something here. Potential is really more of a thing for HS recruiting, not the portal, for P6 teams (regardless of whether said player is from MN). Good luck to the young man - he should have a chance to show what he can do in the Summit.

Posters who were shaking their head at other posters who suggested that King was not (currently) P6-level material might learn something here. Potential is really more of a thing for HS recruiting, not the portal, for P6 teams (regardless of whether said player is from MN). Good luck to the young man - he should have a chance to show what he can do in the Summit.
I was one of them......CBJ better pull in some better options.

Plenty of Summit league guys could play in the P6.

He already did
Agreed! Mitchell is a great start.....HOWEVER, we currently have 0 backup PG options and are thin at SG.....getting more and more depressed everyday reading about commitments to other schools.

Props to the King kids for following what their passions are. They have ended up at Winona State, Upper Iowa, and North Dakota and would have to believe they would have played a higher level of football. Selfishly because my first love is football, it would have been fun to see them go that route. I really think the oldest King boy would have had the potential to have played major D1... he may have been the same class or a year younger than Morgan? It is hard to compare because they played a lower level but the three most impressive QBs I have ever seen in Minnesota were Joe Mauer, Owen King, and Jalen Suggs - and none played a single down of college football, but 2 of the 3 have made an insane amount of cash.

I agree, there are also P6 guys that should be in the Summit League. Playing in college is completely different than HS/AAU. They tend to get weeded out rather quickly with the portal in place.
Always interesting to see how guys handle the jump from high school to college. Guys who go Power 5/Power 6 tend to be the guys who were the best players on their high school/AAU teams. But once they hit college that all becomes meaningless and you can either cut it or you find your way to the level where you can.

Perhaps the Gophers can get him when E King is eligible as a Grad Transfer.

I honestly dont think he'd be stopped. 100pts, 100 rebounds (on his own misses that were on purpose)
lol....comment made me think of a middle school basketball game my son played years ago. Halftime score was 2-1 us but there was a kid on the other team that probably had like 25 rebounds in the first half because he was so much bigger and taller than everyone else but he could not make a basket to save his life.

Far and away the funniest and most painful half of basketball I have ever witnessed.

I think this sort of misses the point. I still think we should have taken a flyer on Eli King (if there was any interest). It's not because I think he will set the world on fire, it's because we have not been able to use our all of our scholarships in any meaningful way.

We just signed a guy that has like 30 career points and our hope is that he'll be a good practice player and I guess set good picks. Yes, the are people celebrating that we signed a guy who can set good picks.

Because of how we have used our scholarships in the past three seasons, I would be more than happy to take a flyer on a basketball player who is a top ~100-150 recruit and plays a position of weakness over known stiffs. If that player is Eli King, cool. If it's another player who fits that mold, I'd be cool with that too.

All things being equal- you take the instate kid 100 times out of 100.

I think this sort of misses the point. I still think we should have taken a flyer on Eli King (if there was any interest). It's not because I think he will set the world on fire, it's because we have not been able to use our all of our scholarships in any meaningful way.

We just signed a guy that has like 30 career points and our hope is that he'll be a good practice player and I guess set good picks. Yes, the are people celebrating that we signed a guy who can set good picks.

Because of how we have used our scholarships in the past three seasons, I would be more than happy to take a flyer on a basketball player who is a top ~100-150 recruit and plays a position of weakness over known stiffs. If that player is Eli King, cool. If it's another player who fits that mold, I'd be cool with that too.
King is going to UND. There were close to 80 other P6 type schools that could have taken a flyer on him. I don't think coaches take flyers. They truly take guys they see fitting in and playing a role for the team, and Johnson has other guards he would like as Gophers.

King fizzled at ISU and transferred to the Summit League and his brother transferred down to D2 from the Summit League. Two different people, but they might not have the mentality to compete at the highest level. Many factors playing into it.

Nobody is celebrating the signing of Wilson. There are some not freaking out about it but there isn't anyone who expects him to be an impact player for us.

I wouldn't have been against seeing us take a flyer on King but none of even knows if he would have been receptive to the idea of going somewhere where he would not have been guaranteed playing time.

lol....comment made me think of a middle school basketball game my son played years ago. Halftime score was 2-1 us but there was a kid on the other team that probably had like 25 rebounds in the first half because he was so much bigger and taller than everyone else but he could not make a basket to save his life.

Far and away the funniest and most painful half of basketball I have ever witnessed.

It’s incredible when that happens. Had a buddy like that. Was full grown in 6th grade. Dominated the boards. Couldn’t make a layup

Who are the known stiffs?

Nobody is celebrating the signing of Wilson. There are some not freaking out about it but there isn't anyone who expects him to be an impact player for us.

I wouldn't have been against seeing us take a flyer on King but none of even knows if he would have been receptive to the idea of going somewhere where he would not have been guaranteed playing time.
The bold is my entire point.

If we are signing guys who know aren't going to make an impact for us then why in the hell would you point to Eli King going to UND as a lesson-learned for some fans?

King is going to UND. There were close to 80 other P6 type schools that could have taken a flyer on him. I don't think coaches take flyers. They truly take guys they see fitting in and playing a role for the team, and Johnson has other guards he would like as Gophers.

King fizzled at ISU and transferred to the Summit League and his brother transferred down to D2 from the Summit League. Two different people, but they might not have the mentality to compete at the highest level. Many factors playing into it.
Yep and I'd have a hard time believing many of them have done worse with their rosters/scholarships than we have. How many of them wanted Daniels? T. Samuels? Jack Wilson? W. Ramberg? Ogele?

In analyzing whether or not we should have gone after King, it needs to be in the context of who we are going after and getting. You're right, good programs wouldn't have the space to take a flyer on Eli King. But we aren't there and year after year we continue to drop scholarships to guys who we know won't make an impact.

As to whether or not King would come here, I have no idea. It's not about King, it's about players like him. Just because some of the players are signing at lower level schools than the U doesn't mean they wouldn't have helped our program more than some of the guys we have signed.

As to Johnson's vision for the team and our guard play, yeah, do you really trust it? Do you think he had his pulse on the abilities of our backcourt last year? It's the same nonsense I heard last year when I said we didn't have guards. I get it, he's a coach and I'm not, so his decisions are always right.

The bold is my entire point.

If we are signing guys who know aren't going to make an impact for us then why in the hell would you point to Eli King going to UND as a lesson-learned for some fans?
Wilson is a backup to Fox who is a backup to Payne. That's needed. King is not.

Top Bottom