Caledonia native Eli King in portal from Iowa State

The bold is my entire point.

If we are signing guys who know aren't going to make an impact for us then why in the hell would you point to Eli King going to UND as a lesson-learned for some fans?
The only reason I wouldn’t take King is because he has 3 years left & we got Asuma coming in along with Christie, Carrington & Mitchell. I don’t see the need of a long term transfer. The focus should be on a short term transfer like Pride & Bairstow than bringing King in. I love Eli. I do think the ACL injury may be impacting his development

No, not if you want someone there who is easily pushed around. But good thinking on your part.
Yeah, you'd rather have those minutes going to a guy who scored like 30 points and gotten 40 rebounds in 5 seasons. That'd be WAY better than Dawson Garcia playing those 5 minutes per game at the center.

Yeah, you'd rather have those minutes going to a guy who scored like 30 points and gotten 40 rebounds in 5 seasons. That'd be WAY better than Dawson Garcia playing those 5 minutes per game at the center.
I rather Garcia, Fox, & Ihnen play the back 5 minutes. We could probably use a combo Forward more than a practice/emergency Center. I still don't think it's a big deal if we get guard and wing transfers who can provide competition for minutes.

I rather Garcia, Fox, & Ihnen play the back 5 minutes. We could probably use a combo Forward more than a practice/emergency Center. I still don't think it's a big deal if we get guard and wing transfers who can provide competition for minutes.
I'd be pretty surprised if that isn't how it plays out too.

except CBJ, you mean, right?

View attachment 25166
It's weird how some people are focusing on this. What's Ben supposed to do? "Hey, Jack, yeah -- I always post this fun little gif of Denzel when we sign a recruit, but I don't think you're deserving of a tweet. That might take me 20 seconds and I've got sh!t to do. You understand."

It's weird how some people are focusing on this. What's Ben supposed to do? "Hey, Jack, yeah -- I always post this fun little gif of Denzel when we sign a recruit, but I don't think you're deserving of a tweet. That might take me 20 seconds and I've got sh!t to do. You understand."
So CBJ isnt exited about Wilson?

No, not if you want someone there who is easily pushed around. But good thinking on your part.
Your obsession with a backup center is ridiculous . Wilson is a total waste of a scholarship and shows we aren’t going to be able apparently to sign guards or wings to fill our scholarships .Positions that we desperately need to upgrade and add depth. Garcia, Fox even Ihnen can play a little center. Sorry GopherPlaya just noticed we saw the same options at center. Great minds LOL

It would be better than getting Garcia fouled out. Much better, in fact. Garcia is the last of the 38 forwards you want defending the post.

If Fox and Ihnen can handle Payne's backup role we won't see Wilson. He is third option (viewing Fox and Ihnen each option 2).

Your obsession with a backup center is ridiculous . Wilson is a total waste of a scholarship and shows we aren’t going to be able apparently to sign guards or wings to fill our scholarships .Positions that we desperately need to upgrade and add depth. Garcia, Fox even Ihnen can play a little center. Sorry GopherPlaya just noticed we saw the same options at center. Great minds LOL
Wilson is third option, backing up Fox or Ihnen if they can't go. Are you aware of the 76,000 posts here worrying about their knees? Wilson is insurance and more valuable than a walk on scholarship guy. We still have three scholarships to use for good players.

How did you work out that signing Wilson shows we can't sign guards with the remaining three scholarships?

It would be better than getting Garcia fouled out. Much better, in fact. Garcia is the last of the 38 forwards you want defending the post.
Good thing we have 37 other PFs to play at C then.

Wilson is third option, backing up Fox or Ihnen if they can't go. Are you aware of the 76,000 posts here worrying about their knees? Wilson is insurance and more valuable than a walk on scholarship guy. We still have three scholarships to use for good players.

Fox is 6'8" and 210 lbs. That's your backup C? He weighs 45 lbs less than Payne and is the same weight as TT. Ihnen is a guard, Ben said so.

Fox is 6'8" and 210 lbs. That's your backup C? He weighs 45 lbs less than Payne and is the same weight as TT. Ihnen is a guard, Ben said so.
He and Fox will get a shot at it. Don't know if either or both can do it. That is why we have Wilson as third option.

Wilson shouldn't be an option at all, he's a glorified walk on, and Fox may be done.
I think the rotation will be Payne starts & Garcia slides in for Payne with Ola Joseph, Fox Ihnen or Betts at 4, then Emergency would be Wilson, Fox or Ihnen at 5. TBH n most here won’t agree but Garcia best offensive position would be at 5 in a 5 out look with a 4 who could possibly guard at 5 paired with him. He plays so much better when guarded by a C than PF

I think the rotation will be Payne starts & Garcia slides in for Payne with Ola Joseph, Fox Ihnen or Betts at 4, then Emergency would be Wilson, Fox or Ihnen at 5. TBH n most here won’t agree but Garcia best offensive position would be at 5 in a 5 out look with a 4 who could possibly guard at 5 paired with him. He plays so much better when guarded by a C than PF

I totally agree with you on Garcia, but that’s another reason why last year’s lineup decisions were so frustrating. Battle should have been the starting 4 and Garcia the 5. I would have loved to have that for this season too, with a few more guards. Yeah they would struggle against big lineups on D, but they would have created a lot of mismatches on O.

Glad Battle is gone. Bad shot selection = turnover. Garcia does not need the wear and tear of matching up against B1G centers.

Other than Edey & Dickinson, I think he matches up better than we gave him credit for with the rest
Yeah, there are very few physically dominant big men out there in college basketball and only a few in the Big Ten.

Every team has size but not many have the bruisers down low that cause matchup issues for other teams.

Yeah, there are very few physically dominant big men out there in college basketball and only a few in the Big Ten.

Every team has size but not many have the bruisers down low that cause matchup issues for other teams.
That's why I felt like the lineup should have been

Cooper
Carrington
Henley
Battle
Dawson

Ola-Joseph is an undersized PF. He should be playing a role similar to how Tubby used Damian Johnson & Rodney Williams. I honestly felt we were at our worse when we played Payne, Garcia, and Battle together. I'm also somewhat skeptical about how Garcia & Payne will work together next year & I think the smartest thing to do is start them together but also keep 1 in the game & sub the other out to keep the lineup balanced. Big Ten Centers struggle to guard Dawson when he is at the 5, especially if we are doing more of the five-out Princeton-type offense. That's why I would love to add Bairstow, who is a bigger Wing & gives us lineup flexibility

That's why I felt like the lineup should have been

Cooper
Carrington
Henley
Battle
Dawson

Ola-Joseph is an undersized PF. He should be playing a role similar to how Tubby used Damian Johnson & Rodney Williams. I honestly felt we were at our worse when we played Payne, Garcia, and Battle together. I'm also somewhat skeptical about how Garcia & Payne will work together next year & I think the smartest thing to do is start them together but also keep 1 in the game & sub the other out to keep the lineup balanced. Big Ten Centers struggle to guard Dawson when he is at the 5, especially if we are doing more of the five-out Princeton-type offense. That's why I would love to add Bairstow, who is a bigger Wing & gives us lineup flexibility
Offensively yes, Battle and Garcia just did not step up to the plate defensively. They just couldn't play both of them at the same time without having huge consequences in the middle from a rebounding and defensive perspective.

Top Bottom