Bryce Williams done for year

LOL! And correct.

I wasn't going to post it, but I had a chuckle to myself in response to post #15 that went like "well, if it was the 1800's there wouldn't have been Black people allowed to play football in the first place, so ..."
Are you still shivering in shock that NW had a fat, slow, stumbling white guy run the ball?

I'm surprised that the staff allows you to use the moniker of Governor Sibley as he was one of the most racist people that Minnesota ever had. I realize I'm off topic. But you're on the football board using a racist moniker. Have you ever thought why that the name Sibley was removed from a high school recently?
Gopherhole staff proves times and again they don’t care about this type of stuff. This is a politics board that discusses football sometimes.

I'm surprised that the staff allows you to use the moniker of Governor Sibley as he was one of the most racist people that Minnesota ever had. I realize I'm off topic. But you're on the football board using a racist moniker. Have you ever thought why that the name Sibley was removed from a high school recently?
I grew up in Sibley County.

1635783757604.jpeg

:horse:

While I hate to see our RB's down like this I would rather take a hard hit here than say OL or DB. I bet Fleck has about 10 WR's or DB's that played RB in high school and would be willing to make a switch for the team. Their knowledge of the playbook is limited from that position but I bet Fleck has a few that are in that quick learning phase right now to have enough RB's for the rest of the season.

And with that said --- this is why you don't quit the team halfway through the season ala Cam Wiley. If you want to transfer at the end of the season fine but what do you gain by quitting in the middle of the year other than telling your next team you quit on your team in the middle of the year. I would be very leery about taking someone who quit on his team half way through the year because chances are they will do the same to you, too.

Transfer Portal could help us in this situation. I see there's a lot of RBs that have immediate availability. I don't know the definition of immediate, but it would seem that if they're enrolled in school, they're available (with some practices under their belt). This guy just came up and looks to be a decent alternative:

Last edited:

Damn. Hope Bryce has a good recovery. It’s getting so I cringe every time a RB gets the ball.

A pair and a spare…..and a pair of spares.

Are we going to blame this injury on his workload?
An NFL study showed that, in the pros, RBs and WRs (and TEs)—the “mobile” positions—suffer injuries at about the same rate. Each play in which a WR or RB is the ball carrier poses a risk of injury. If you run a balanced offense, the risk of injury, on average, would be spread evenly among the “mobile” positions. If you run an unbalanced offense, say 75% run vs 25% pass, the risk of injury, on a statistical “likelihood” analysis, will fall much more heavily on your RBs. This isn’t just statistics, it is common sense.

So, RB injuries aren’t necessarily about overwork. Some injuries are simply about statistical likelihood. Football is a brutal game that is very tough on knees, etc. Each and every running attempt and reception poses a risk of injury. The going-forward statistical issue for me is whether the Gophers, with only two scholarship RBs left, and a full complement of 12 scholarship WRs left, should continue to allocate 75% of the risk of future injury to our 2 remaining RBs and 25% of the risk of future injury to our intact, 12 man WR corps? Maybe our strengths and weaknesses, and our scheme, require that we continue to expose our remaining 2 RBs to a much higher statistical risk of injury. But, if we trusted our passing game, and took account of healthy troop numbers in each “squad” (RBs and WRs), it would make sense me to put the WR squad members on the front line a little more often, at least 50/50.

Maybe we don’t trust our passing game as we did in 2019. Maybe our OL is a lot better at run blocking than at pass blocking. Maybe our eat-the-clock, TOP philosophy is so embedded that we stay with it unless and until all RB troop strength suffers total attrition. I don’t know.

Last edited:

Who on the board has eligibility left?
Damn, that extra year of taking a minimum load; drinking beer; and playing intramural sports all to avoid the draft and going to Vietnam is now costing me. (Still drafted)

Ky is good but he seems too focused on holding on to the ball and which hurts his overall running ability. I'm hoping with more time he can make some more guys miss.

Ky is leading the team at 6 yards per carry.

Unbelievable. Thank god that Ky and Irving are as good as they are this early into their careers.
Our first two four star running backs since . . . never??

Edit: I mean to say our first two on the team at the same time.

I don't think Evan Hull is white ...
Yeah but .. but .. but .... you said some fat, slow, stumbling white guy ran a long way on us last year. Now, you might know for sure if Hull is white or green, since you seem to pay so much attention to those things. I don't. I see a football player.

Bucko and Ky are going to have to stay healthy and pull us through.
I wonder if this will be the catalyst to truly create a Run/Pass balance. I think we all realize running is PJ's preference, but they really need to be concerned about depth at this point and one way to do so would be to spread out the reps between Passing and Running and create an improved passing strategy.

Will be very interesting to see if this will be the case. They won't be able to run the ball down Iowa and Sconnies throats so hopefully against Illinois, we see an improved distribution.

An NFL study showed that, in the pros, RBs and WRs (and TEs)—the “mobile” positions—suffer injuries at about the same rate. Each play in which a WR or RB is the ball carrier poses a risk of injury. If you run a balanced offense, the risk of injury, on average, would be spread evenly among the “mobile” positions. If you run an unbalanced offense, say 75% run vs 25% pass, the risk of injury, on a statistical “likelihood” analysis, will fall much more heavily on your RBs. This isn’t just statistics, it is common sense.

So, RB injuries aren’t necessarily about overwork. Some injuries are simply about statistical likelihood. Football is a brutal game that is very tough on knees, etc. Every play poses a risk of injury. The going-forward statistical issue for me is whether the Gophers, with only two scholarship RBs left, and a full complement of 12 scholarship WRs left, should continue to allocate 75% of the risk of future injury to our 2 remaining RBs and 25% of the risk of future injury to our intact, 12 man WR corps? Maybe our strengths and weaknesses, and our scheme, require that we continue to expose our remaining 2 RBs to a much higher statistical risk of injury. But, if we trusted our passing game, and took account of healthy troop numbers in each “squad” (RBs and WRs), it would make sense me to put the WR corps on the front line a little more often, at least 50/50.

Maybe we don’t trust our passing game as we did in 2019. Maybe our OL is a lot better at run blocking than at pass blocking. Maybe our eat-the-clock, TOP philosophy is so embedded that we stay with it unless and until all RB troop strength is exhausted. I don’t know.
I mean if we went empty every play we wouldn’t ever have a running back injury. You’re spot on

LOL! And correct.

I wasn't going to post it, but I had a chuckle to myself in response to post #15 that went like "well, if it was the 1800's there wouldn't have been Black people allowed to play football in the first place, so

Correct me if I’m wrong but didnt a Gopher womens basketball player join the team mid season last year? Otherwise hold open tryouts. Worked out for Vince Papale

I mean if we went empty every play we wouldn’t ever have a running back injury. You’re spot on
When we went empty set Cam Wiley was in the slot -- so there'd still be a chance!

I'm aware, at times he seems to overthink cuts and just end up running into the tackler. It's nitpicking however and he has a bright future.
Maybe he has had issues in practice with holding onto the football. He does seem to focus on ball security quite a bit and it costs him some yards from time to time. More reps will get him more comfortable I would hope.
I'd rather him do what he is doing and not ever fumble as he's pretty dang good right now.

Top Bottom