Bryce McNeal coming home?!?

My source just confirmed with me that your source is full of it . . . :rolleyes:

Ok pal, I have no reason to lie. I live in this town, so does/did McNeal, I know someone who was around him very consistently and told me this off the cuff during his recruitment. I would bet if my guy told me "McNeal is a great kid who loves Minnesota!!!!" you wouldn't doubt me for a second. You just wanna hear what you want.

Of course there is always the possibility your guy just hears what he wants. The thing is the same guy could say five different things in five different contexts, and someone listening in or only in on part of the story could come away with the complete opposite feeling than the intent of the original words. The bottom line is there is smoke, now we just need to see if there is any fire, so far it looks like no fire.

Noun: Sarcasm
Witty language used to convey insults or scorn
"he used sarcasm to upset his opponent"

Good source told me McNeal is completely full of himself...not shocking he doesn't like Clemson, he is just another dude there. I think he likes the notoriety and attention. He would definitely get more of that here.

I've held back as long as I could on these threads, but I have to post. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and maybe your source thinks that, but IMHO, it could not be further from the truth.

Out of all the recruits I've ever spoken with, and gotten to know well, Bryce has been one of the most impressive. I'd say that the only other one that could give him a run for his money is Victor Keise. He IS a good kid. He's bright, he doesn't drink or party, he's strong in his faith, he values his friends and family. Do you know that Clemson told him right off the bat that he would probably red shirt? Yet, he choose them when every other school was promising him that he'd start. That is maturity, and doesn't have the least bit of being "full of himself." He is smart, he realizes that he can use this year to get bigger, and will now have 5 free years of school and time to finish his degree, rather than 4. You guys can say all you want about his football skills (and I do think he has a lot of potential), but please don't attack his character.

I'm not sure what his credulity is supposed to say about his character.

Otherwise I agree attacking a guy's character with speculation and hearsay is pretty lousy. Especially when we're talking about HS kids.

GopherLady, would you like to have my babies? :eek:

Depends on if you come from a good pedigree. Gotta be at least 6'0...because I'm having boys that are going to play for Tubby (or Izzo or Self). Hope they're still coaching in 18 years! ;)

Depends on if you come from a good pedigree. Gotta be at least 6'0...because I'm having boys that are going to play for Tubby (or Izzo or Self). Hope they're still coaching in 18 years! ;)

Damn it . . . .5"11 :mad:

I gotta respect you GopherLady and I completely trust what you are saying and your opinion. That's great to hear. That doesn't change what my very reliable person in the know said about Bryce...someone was around him basically everyday. I am not saying Bryce isn't a great kid, he could be, that just wasn't one persons opinion who knows him. I am not attacking his character, I dont know him, I am just passing along some good information. My guy basically said good riddance to him before he even signed elsewhere, wanted nothing to do with him. I was shocked. Very strong opinion. Side note, I really hope he does come back to the U and he flourishes. Lets see what he does.

I gotta respect you GopherLady and I completely trust what you are saying and your opinion. That's great to hear. That doesn't change what my very reliable person in the know said about Bryce...someone was around him basically everyday. I am not saying Bryce isn't a great kid, he could be, that just wasn't one persons opinion who knows him. I am not attacking his character, I dont know him, I am just passing along some good information. My guy basically said good riddance to him before he even signed elsewhere, wanted nothing to do with him. I was shocked. Very strong opinion. Side note, I really hope he does come back to the U and he flourishes. Lets see what he does.
Keep in mind though that this is one person's opinion. There are lots of things that can influence our opinions of other people and we tend to cast people in a negative or positive light depending on things like how well we got along with them.

If multiple people say there are character question marks with him then perhaps that's a concern, but one guy is an outlier and could be someone with an axe to grind, someone who felt shown up by him or just someone that for whatever reason saw the bad but not the good in him.

Exactly. Trust me, if you asked a lot of people what they thought of me, a lot would not like me, and would say bad things. It's just someone's opinion, but I needed to share mine on him.

Exactly. Trust me, if you asked a lot of people what they thought of me, a lot would not like me, and would say bad things. It's just someone's opinion, but I needed to share mine on him.

I totally agree. I have never liked Nadine! If my opinion were all that you knew about her you might never visit the Gopherhole...

I totally agree. I have never liked Nadine! If my opinion were all that you knew about her you might never visit the Gopherhole...

See, I told you guys I have a lot of haters!

I have known Bryce's mom since she was 5, I have known his dad since we were 13, we attended the same schools, graduated from the same high school the same year, played basketball on the same teams. I have attended the same church as Bryce's mom and grandmother and later Bryce for over 30 years. Bryce attended Breck because my son was already there, Bryce focused on football because I told him 6'2 basketball players were a dime a dozen. I have known Bryce BEFORE he knew himself. That's my background with Bryce.

Your information is baseless, while nobody is perfect there is nothing in Bryce's character that would warrant someone going on the internet and making this type of character assassination. What kind of person posts what you did based on second hand knowledge?

Is he considering coming back to MN to play football? Not for me to say but I will tell you this. My advice would be if you expect love at home forget about it, the vocal majority of Gopher fans seem to hate gopher football and love to tear their team/players apart. If he comes home he should expect more of this type of intrusion in his life.:(

SportsFan24:

Let me disagree ever so slightly with you. The vocal majority you reference ARE NOT the people on these websights. True fans would welcome Bryce back with open arms. True fans love what a certain safety is doing for the Gophers. Mostly, true fans hope a certain safety and Bryce, if he so chooses, get the education and experience that will help them realize their future dreams.

But, please make no mistake, we are thrilled that a certain safety is home and helping his home state's program. He is representing the club well both on and off the field! These morons on the web who attack kids are ignorant and small. They do not represent the majority of fans.

Thank you for your insights and more importantly, your parenting.

I have known Bryce's mom since she was 5, I have known his dad since we were 13, we attended the same schools, graduated from the same high school the same year, played basketball on the same teams. I have attended the same church as Bryce's mom and grandmother and later Bryce for over 30 years. Bryce attended Breck because my son was already there, Bryce focused on football because I told him 6'2 basketball players were a dime a dozen. I have known Bryce BEFORE he knew himself. That's my background with Bryce.

Your information is baseless, while nobody is perfect there is nothing in Bryce's character that would warrant someone going on the internet and making this type of character assassination. What kind of person posts what you did based on second hand knowledge?

Is he considering coming back to MN to play football? Not for me to say but I will tell you this. My advice would be if you expect love at home forget about it, the vocal majority of Gopher fans seem to hate gopher football and love to tear their team/players apart. If he comes home he should expect more of this type of intrusion in his life.:(

With all due respect, that doesn't make any sense. If they hate Gopher football and love to tear them apart, wouldn't that be the definition of someone who is not a Gopher's fan?

If you're talking about this board, most people will be critical of the team. I'm a huge Gophers fan but will be critical from time to time. There seems to be a few on here that have been too critical lately, but I think the majority try to be positive most of the time. It's just unfortunate that the negative seems to overshadow the positives sometimes. Some of these "negative fans" are trolls, acting like fans when they're not.

I like the idea of those players that want to come home. They can tell recruits that leaving home isn't always what it is cracked up to be. If Bryce wants to come home, we should welcome him. Especially since he seems like a very good person, by all accounts.

Short guys like us can be good at basketball too. See Spud Webb, Mugsy Bogues, Earl Boykins.

I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for my match. :D

My take from a distance: Recruited very avidly by Brew and lauded on this board, Bryce is likely both a quality person and athlete...if he does choose to make a change for the better, M&Gold with lots of love and home-cookin would be a great choice.

now that we all agree the Bryce and family are the greatest....

And that I just make Nadine's height requirement by a quarter inch....does anybody have any new intelligence on this subject matter? Any second cousins, twice removed who are in his mass comm class? My nieces are too young to have started at Clemson yet, their Mom is a grad and my brother doesn't push UMD on them, so they are not going to be much help. I'm just curious if we are starting to see a real trend towards second time lucky with these in-state kids and if it may help in the long run with recruiting them the first time around. Having them talking on their visits with someone who thought the grass was greener, and all.

Man this is a stupid thread.

1. If he is thinknig of coming home, it is better for no discussion to happen. All this will evebtually get back to Clemson.
2. I had to scroll back to find out what is wrong with Bryce and I find out that he is "full of himself"? And then people get mad about this accusation and defend him? Every highschool/ college athlete (and many highschool kds) are full of themselves. I expected drugs, partying but someone thinks he is"full of himself"? C,mon.

SportsFan24:

Let me disagree ever so slightly with you. The vocal majority you reference ARE NOT the people on these websights. True fans would welcome Bryce back with open arms. True fans love what a certain safety is doing for the Gophers. Mostly, true fans hope a certain safety and Bryce, if he so chooses, get the education and experience that will help them realize their future dreams.

But, please make no mistake, we are thrilled that a certain safety is home and helping his home state's program. He is representing the club well both on and off the field! These morons on the web who attack kids are ignorant and small. They do not represent the majority of fans.

Large, thank you for your kind words.

I could not care less what folks say about a players performance on the field and that includes Kim. That is par for the course and it goes with playing on the big stage. I will admit the stuff being said about Adam Weber perplexes me, however everyone is entilted to their opinion, no matter how misinformed they are.

My issue is with the personal attacks on someones character. Say what you want about performance but throwing out baseless accusations in a public forum about behavior and character to me crosses the line.

Again, thanks for you reply.

Bryce Mc Neal is obviously a reltively bright guy with smart parents. If he has any desire to get out of Clemson, rumors are the most we'll hear of it until the day after Clemson plays in Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Most of us who have traveled a lot and spent any time in Clemson saw Mc Neal's descision as a big-time head-scratcher. Minnesota had so much more to offer him. But like so many Minnesota recruits, the more people talk about them around here, the greener the grass starts to look elsewhere.

I happen to disagree with Sportsfan24. As sick as Gopher fans get of Minnesota recruits deciding to go elsewhere, we continue to welcome them back (albeit, at a comparable disatvantage to if they had come here to begin with). And most of us remember how cool places that weren't Minnesota seemed when we were young and naive. Gopher fans would see Mc Neal's return to Minnesota as a cause to rally, just as we did with Carufel and Royston.

Fans everywhere rip on guys and spread false rumors. It's a shame. But it isn't going to change anytime soon, and it's a seperate issue. Mc Neal hasn't played a down in Clemson. But as soon as he makes a mistake in a game, the Clemson fans are going to show him just how insane they are. It's not right. But it's reality. Hopefully these guys grow up quick enough to handle adults that don't know handle themselves.

Bryce Mc Neal is obviously a reltively bright guy with smart parents. If he has any desire to get out of Clemson, rumors are the most we'll hear of it until the day after Clemson plays in Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Most of us who have traveled a lot and spent any time in Clemson saw Mc Neal's descision as a big-time head-scratcher. Minnesota had so much more to offer him. But like so many Minnesota recruits, the more people talk about them around here, the greener the grass starts to look elsewhere.

I happen to disagree with Sportsfan24. As sick as Gopher fans get of Minnesota recruits deciding to go elsewhere, we continue to welcome them back (albeit, at a comparable disatvantage to if they had come here to begin with). And most of us remember how cool places that weren't Minnesota seemed when we were young and naive. Gopher fans would see Mc Neal's return to Minnesota as a cause to rally, just as we did with Carufel and Royston.

Fans everywhere rip on guys and spread false rumors. It's a shame. But it isn't going to change anytime soon, and it's a seperate issue. Mc Neal hasn't played a down in Clemson. But as soon as he makes a mistake in a game, the Clemson fans are going to show him just how insane they are. It's not right. But it's reality. Hopefully these guys grow up quick enough to handle adults that don't know handle themselves.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I couldn't agree more with this post. If Minnesotans can cheer Brett Favre, I'm 99% sure Bryce would be more than excepted back and if so I can see the gopherhole boards next year....too bad Bryce has to sit out, boy what if Bryce had decided to come here first off....etc...

pretty sure everyone has had someone say something negative about ones character no matter how good of a person one is. It is an opinion and it definitely doesn't mean it is right.

SportsFan24:

Exactly, this website has the appearance of a Gopher's Fan site, but in reality, its a place where Gopher fans who don't want to pay $100+ a year come to discuss their team and its also a place where disturbed humans come get jollies by ripping on players and the program (its free I guess so no harm to them), and in most cases are on here because they hold a grudge.

SportsFan24, this board is a TERRIBLE place to go to gage the true Gopher fan, I hope you understand that. The thing that scares me about this site is that it may be doing the exact opposite of what its mission is --> to support the Gopher fan base in good discussions. I feel that people like SportsFan24/ players & parents/ recruits & parents may come on here to get a feel for the "normal Gopher fan" and instead have to read a bunch of garbage written by some idiot grinding his ax on here. Which would be VERY sad. But with the role the internet plays in society today there is no doubt in my mind the board is having negative effects to some degree, no doubt.

Top Bottom