Bryce McNeal coming home?!?

SportsFan24 ... This Stuff is Not Good for the Family

SportsFan24, you are in an uncomfortable position. I had two sons play D1 football (not MN). One was a star and one was average. They both had their moments when they got beat up pretty badly by fans. It really got to me at times and it would grind at one of my sons to the point I tried to get him to give up football and focus on his studies. The other son would not pay any attention to it. It actually bothered me more than it did him.
What made it hard was I knew how hard both of them worked at the game and how intense they were about playing the best they could. When the players are family, it really changes how you see things.
Many of the fans here just want to win for there own reasons. When a player fails to play at a high level or makes a big mistake, it just drives some fans nuts and they lash out in frustration. You and I see a son we love and we have a long history of taking them to games, coaching them, encouraging them, chewing on them a little from the time they were in grade school. I think you finally get to the point where you just don't take it seriously anymore because you know those hypercritical fans just have no idea what college football is all about inside the locker room and on the field. The guys who came into the program as part of the 05-07 recruiting classes are maybe not the most gifted in Gopher history, but the majority of them are giving the game all they have. They all deserve our support and appreciation no matter what their accomplishments on the gridiron. Fans just need to see them as people.

I don't think anyone taking shots at a kid's character should be taken as a representative of ANY fan base. Going after a kid like that is pretty low and I think basically everyone outside of the very lowest among us (Ohio State fans) understand that it's not the way we should operate as adults.

I have known Bryce's mom since she was 5, I have known his dad since we were 13, we attended the same schools, graduated from the same high school the same year, played basketball on the same teams. I have attended the same church as Bryce's mom and grandmother and later Bryce for over 30 years. Bryce attended Breck because my son was already there, Bryce focused on football because I told him 6'2 basketball players were a dime a dozen. I have known Bryce BEFORE he knew himself. That's my background with Bryce.

Your information is baseless, while nobody is perfect there is nothing in Bryce's character that would warrant someone going on the internet and making this type of character assassination. What kind of person posts what you did based on second hand knowledge?

Is he considering coming back to MN to play football? Not for me to say but I will tell you this. My advice would be if you expect love at home forget about it, the vocal majority of Gopher fans seem to hate gopher football and love to tear their team/players apart. If he comes home he should expect more of this type of intrusion in his life.:(

I appreciate your position. Some spout off a lot of stuff that is degrading. But has as been pointed out, it is the minority, and let me also suggest that it does not matter where in the USA or around the world for that matter is it really going to be any better.

It all just feels a little different with home town players who decide to go elsewhere for whatever reason seems best for them. The hopes for the home town players to have that sense of loyalty
fuels a lot of attitudes, regardless of whether they are justified or not.

I think the fan base would more then welcome McNeal. It is just some of those who have no clue what it is entailed that throw trash out there.

We have to remember these guys are still kids

Something we all forget is how young these kids are when they commit to go to college. These kids are 17, 18 or 19 years old when they make these critical decision in deciding where they are going to spend their next 4 to 5 years of their lives going to school. You can't tell me that none of you did not make mistakes at that age.

Guys like McNeal feel like they are on top of the world, then they go to college and realize that the life they had before was a lot more easy than they originally expected.

If he decides to come back, we should all welcome him back with open arms. Yeah, does it upset us that he did not pick us first... hell ya but he is just a kid and kids make mistakes. Coming back home will give him a support structure, familiarity with his surroundings, and most importantly a home. It is not for us to judge him for the decision he has made.

Bryce Mc Neal is obviously a reltively bright guy with smart parents. If he has any desire to get out of Clemson, rumors are the most we'll hear of it until the day after Clemson plays in Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Most of us who have traveled a lot and spent any time in Clemson saw Mc Neal's descision as a big-time head-scratcher. Minnesota had so much more to offer him. But like so many Minnesota recruits, the more people talk about them around here, the greener the grass starts to look elsewhere.

I happen to disagree with Sportsfan24. As sick as Gopher fans get of Minnesota recruits deciding to go elsewhere, we continue to welcome them back (albeit, at a comparable disatvantage to if they had come here to begin with). And most of us remember how cool places that weren't Minnesota seemed when we were young and naive. Gopher fans would see Mc Neal's return to Minnesota as a cause to rally, just as we did with Carufel and Royston.

Fans everywhere rip on guys and spread false rumors. It's a shame. But it isn't going to change anytime soon, and it's a seperate issue. Mc Neal hasn't played a down in Clemson. But as soon as he makes a mistake in a game, the Clemson fans are going to show him just how insane they are. It's not right. But it's reality. Hopefully these guys grow up quick enough to handle adults that don't know handle themselves.

Goldmember,

If has nothing to do with the grass being greener, the truth is the lack of support for gopher football drives many recruites away. Kids go to other campuses and see that the teams are treated much differently than the gophers are. The next time you attend a game at our brand new on campus stadium after the game go to the back of the stadium where the players leave. There are more fans for the visiting team than the gophers.

Goldmember,

If has nothing to do with the grass being greener, the truth is the lack of support for gopher football drives many recruites away. Kids go to other campuses and see that the teams are treated much differently than the gophers are. The next time you attend a game at our brand new on campus stadium after the game go to the back of the stadium where the players leave. There are more fans for the visiting team than the gophers.

Would you say Kim and his teammates share your same feelings towards the Gopher Fans?

Goldmember,

Wow. That's pretty much exactly what I mean about the grass being greener.

Minnesota is on ESPN/Network TV more than almost anyone in the country. Do you think the networks do this because there is a "lack of support for Gopher football"? :confused:

I'm not sure if you honestly think this, or if you were just trying to illustrate how a kid can get dazzled by a couple hundred screaming fans an hour after the game in some rural outpost where there is absolutely nothing else to do. How long will that little patch of green grass take to turn yellow?

Sportsfan has a point...Years ago I pledged my allegiance to the Gopher Football program and I will stick to it through good times and bad, but people like me and others on this board are in the extreme minority. Just doing a mental survey of my friends, family, and people I bump into the Gophers are barely on people's radar in this town. They're curious about the stadium and want them to do well, but I bet they couldn't name more than 3or4 starters on both sides of the ball combined. The sports fan in this area is spread very thin, and in many cases must pick 1or2 teams to truly put their soul into...the Gophers just aren't that high on many people's list. We have great fans, though and ultimately I don't think our 'lack' of fan support hurts us much in recruiting...but it also doesn't help us as a tie-breaker either

Sportsfan has a point...Years ago I pledged my allegiance to the Gopher Football program and I will stick to it through good times and bad, but people like me and others on this board are in the extreme minority. Just doing a mental survey of my friends, family, and people I bump into the Gophers are barely on people's radar in this town. They're curious about the stadium and want them to do well, but I bet they couldn't name more than 3or4 starters on both sides of the ball combined. The sports fan in this area is spread very thin, and in many cases must pick 1or2 teams to truly put their soul into...the Gophers just aren't that high on many people's list. We have great fans, though and ultimately I don't think our 'lack' of fan support hurts us much in recruiting...but it also doesn't help us as a tie-breaker either

Eh...I think it's a mistake to blame low support on the other sports options in town. Sure, there are no other options in Iowa City or Madison. But the Madison metro area has a population of about 560,000. Iowa City's 'metro' is 150,000. We're at about 3.5 million. That's more than enough to cover all our sports. The fact of the matter is 1) The Gophers have sucked lately. When they get better, things will change. And 2) College football is a secondary sport in most places. Nationally, it's viewed as a feeder for the NFL. Every fan base that has an NFL team will go there first (see here, WI). I don't agree with it, but that's how it goes. Oh well.

Minnesota is on ESPN/Network TV more than almost anyone in the country. Do you think the networks do this because there is a "lack of support for Gopher football"? :confused:

I'm not sure if you honestly think this, or if you were just trying to illustrate how a kid can get dazzled by a couple hundred screaming fans an hour after the game in some rural outpost where there is absolutely nothing else to do. How long will that little patch of green grass take to turn yellow?

he was just using an example. The truth is in many (if not most) college towns/campuses, football is a HUGE deal and its evident everywhere. In MN it just isn't. Its like when I was looking for a job a few years back. One company I interviewed with had a ton of benefits (not health) for employees, a great cafeteria, child care, a large work out center, a lot of vacation days, etc. A second company I interviewed with didn't offer much extra besides the regular health benefits and a decent salary. At the first company I just felt like they actually cared about their employees and wanted to take care of you and that an employees hard work would be noticed and appreciated. At the other company I just felt like I'd be doing a job but I wasn't getting anything I couldn't get at another place. Guess which one I chose? Right now there are 2, and only 2 positives most instate recruits see in going to the U. 1 is being close to home, and 2 is playing for Brewster as many recruits love the guy and this staff. Honestly Bryce is probably a BMOC already down in Clemson and thats a draw for kids, not necessarily because they're arrogant but because it feels good for people to show you love and then show up 80,000 deep every Saturday, all wearing Orange Blue or White whether your team is good or bad and support you. At MN you know that if you lose 2 in a row to OSU and PSU your 50k stadium won't be all the way full. I love MN but lets not act like we have so much more to offer everyone else when it comes to a football experience

Its like when I was looking for a job a few years back. One company I interviewed with had a ton of benefits (not health) for employees, a great cafeteria, child care, a large work out center, a lot of vacation days, etc. A second company I interviewed with didn't offer much extra besides the regular health benefits and a decent salary. At the first company I just felt like they actually cared about their employees and wanted to take care of you and that an employees hard work would be noticed and appreciated. At the other company I just felt like I'd be doing a job but I wasn't getting anything I couldn't get at another place. Guess which one I chose?

There are two things you could be implying there. As far as fan and student support, we'll get there. It's moving in that direction, the stadium, Brewster, etc are helping that and I have faith it will be getting better through the years (and that its already gotten better).
But if you think we need to start competing with, oh, say...USC, by offering the same kind of 'benefits' they do, I'm gonna have to disagree with that.

I have been gone for a couple days, and i don't want to wade through all this BS. Is he coming back home or not, or do we not know yet.

I have been gone for a couple days, and i don't want to wade through all this BS. Is he coming back home or not, or do we not know yet.

He was seen at the gopher football game this weekend, and there is a rumor going around that he may want to transfer back. But it is speculation, however there is some definite footing to the rumors from people with knowledge of the situation.

There are two things you could be implying there. As far as fan and student support, we'll get there. It's moving in that direction, the stadium, Brewster, etc are helping that and I have faith it will be getting better through the years (and that its already gotten better).
But if you think we need to start competing with, oh, say...USC, by offering the same kind of 'benefits' they do, I'm gonna have to disagree with that.

OleBoy41 can correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure that he was only referring to benefits in the sense of the overall campus/football experience, not the USC dirty rule breaking benefits. We started going down that road with Holtz and after Clem I don't think anyone wants to go there again.

Local kids hear all this trash locally, and when they go somewhere else they don't, and then get there and find out its not all roses.

I'm measured in what I can say, so I'll leave it at this. Kids leave because of it and they come back inspite of it. Go Gophers,

he was just using an example. The truth is in many (if not most) college towns/campuses, football is a HUGE deal and its evident everywhere. In MN it just isn't. Its like when I was looking for a job a few years back. One company I interviewed with had a ton of benefits (not health) for employees, a great cafeteria, child care, a large work out center, a lot of vacation days, etc. A second company I interviewed with didn't offer much extra besides the regular health benefits and a decent salary. At the first company I just felt like they actually cared about their employees and wanted to take care of you and that an employees hard work would be noticed and appreciated. At the other company I just felt like I'd be doing a job but I wasn't getting anything I couldn't get at another place. Guess which one I chose? Right now there are 2, and only 2 positives most instate recruits see in going to the U. 1 is being close to home, and 2 is playing for Brewster as many recruits love the guy and this staff. Honestly Bryce is probably a BMOC already down in Clemson and thats a draw for kids, not necessarily because they're arrogant but because it feels good for people to show you love and then show up 80,000 deep every Saturday, all wearing Orange Blue or White whether your team is good or bad and support you. At MN you know that if you lose 2 in a row to OSU and PSU your 50k stadium won't be all the way full. I love MN but lets not act like we have so much more to offer everyone else when it comes to a football experience

oleboy, well said!

Not all but a large number of supposed gopher fans treat the program as entertainment. If they are winning it's the place to be and worth their time. When the team looses, they move on to the next distraction. At other places the fans love the team and whomever wears the jersey. Their love is not predicated soley on winning and loosing. They love the school. Sure they will run a unsuccessful coach off in a heartbeat but they have almost undying support for their school/team.

Kids in the community know this and recognize the difference when they go to other places. And guess what? They want to be a part of it.

oleboy nailed it when he mentioned coach Brewster playing a big part in players choosing to stay home or come here. Brewster shows that same "over the top" love for the program that you see at other schools, its a shame that some folks born and raised here can't follow his example.

This does not apply to everyone and keep in mind I WAS in that same group of people who are indifferent to the U.

Eh...I think it's a mistake to blame low support on the other sports options in town. Sure, there are no other options in Iowa City or Madison. But the Madison metro area has a population of about 560,000. Iowa City's 'metro' is 150,000. We're at about 3.5 million. That's more than enough to cover all our sports. The fact of the matter is 1) The Gophers have sucked lately. When they get better, things will change. And 2) College football is a secondary sport in most places. Nationally, it's viewed as a feeder for the NFL. Every fan base that has an NFL team will go there first (see here, WI). I don't agree with it, but that's how it goes. Oh well.

Here are the issues that have caused Gopher football to be lower for fan interest in Mpls/St. Paul:

1) Other sport alternatives. You state Madison has only 550,000 people but they also have a very large student population living on or very near campus. Iowa has all of Eastern Iowa with nothing else to support. You don't think the Vikings take away from the Gophers? TC sports fans spent about $30 Million dollars on sports entertainment last week alone. I went to the Vikes game, the Twins game and the Gopher game but time does not allow that every week. If you look at Pitt, Miami, even USC, when they lose they draw less very quickly. In Iowa, if they lose what are the fans going to do? They are on campus anyway where MN is a commuter university.
2) 40 years of mediocrity. I blame this on our AD's. Wacker was 1-7 for 4 years here and that killed the program. Why was he here that long? Because of basketball scandals and AD problems that made addressing the football situation impossible. Name me any fan base that hasn't had a conference championship in 40 years and has more support than MN football?
3) Facilities. Playing off campus hurt the student involvement in football. You do not get that back in one year. It takes time for football to be the focus of Saturday afternoons when it has been absent for 27 years.

It's hard but sometimes you grow thick skin as player or fan of the Gophers

Doesn't seem to matter if your a player or a fan of the Gophers football team you get a lot of bleep and crap from other sports fan's in town. I know plenty of Vikings fans that rag on me all of the time for being a Gopher fan because the "Goofers suck" have always sucked and will alway's suck. It is pretty easy to be a Vikings fan and a Gopher fan if you are a fan of football but try telling that to all of your diehard neighbors that are pro fans only. IF you can get them to a game there opinion changes slightly but there have been games where I could not get anyone to go in the Metrodome no matter who we were playing. We are battling a large battle of fan perception that the Gophers will always suck versus reality in this media market. I remember getting ragged on by Mike Max back in 2005 when taking the CC trip to Ann Arbor. Why would you spend money on the Gophers? That pisshant was tossing a football around and enjoying tailgate while ripping the Gophers more then being positive, and bragging about Augburg, when I told him the Gophers would win that day.

I can alway's see why kid's leave this place, Brewster does give us a ray of hope that he can turn this program around by being positive. I mocked that when he first got here but now understand why he does the "all in" thing when being positive about the Gophers. IF he will not do it who will? Having the Gophers own stadium and home helps, it is already starting to help at least I think it is. Now If coach Brew could start winning some trophy games then we will really see some of what his hard work is doing. Having those trophies helps change perception.

This thread has rebounded quite nicely with some very nice and thoughtful responses. I agree with the last few posts. People here tend to think just because we got a new stadium people are just going to go nuts over the team and we are going to gain the popularity levels that an ACC or SEC team have. Not going to happen.

Things like this take years and years. We have too many other draws right now that have had a much higher priority for the casual fan like the Vikings, Twins and Wild over the past twenty years who saw their interest levels elevated while the gophers were performing poorly for a long time. I think a few solid years could have the program in the spot light once again, easily. I already see the team gaining more publicity with the sports writers etc, etc.

Look at what happened to the Vikings. In 1998 the team was facing black-outs every single home gain due to mediocre play the last decade or two. In comes Randy Moss, and the fan support has been on another level ever since. Brewster could be our Randy Moss.

This thread has rebounded quite nicely with some very nice and thoughtful responses. I agree with the last few posts. People here tend to think just because we got a new stadium people are just going to go nuts over the team and we are going to gain the popularity levels that an ACC or SEC team have. Not going to happen.

Things like this take years and years. We have too many other draws right now that have had a much higher priority for the casual fan like the Vikings, Twins and Wild over the past twenty years who saw their interest levels elevated while the gophers were performing poorly for a long time. I think a few solid years could have the program in the spot light once again, easily. I already see the team gaining more publicity with the sports writers etc, etc.

Look at what happened to the Vikings. In 1998 the team was facing black-outs every single home gain due to mediocre play the last decade or two. In comes Randy Moss, and the fan support has been on another level ever since. Brewster could be our Randy Moss.

Yes, it will take years to reach the level of many college programs. But the new stadium has already had a huge impact, I think. Walking to the stadium has a completely different feel now. Everything is maroon and gold. There are actually people having fun outside the stadium before the game, whether it's at a tailgate, bar or McNamara. The stadium is full and loud -- who cares if it's only 50,000 people? It looks fun. Most importantly, I've read on this site the comments of recruits/commits who are looking at Minnesota, and they are pointing to the atmosphere as one thing they enjoyed. When was the last time that happened?

I don't know if we'll ever have a lot of people hanging out at the exits, waiting for the players to come out. We may never have a thousand tailgate tents lined up side-by-side, like some places. The Twin Cities just aren't that kind of place. But it's already twice as good as it was last year.

I have known Bryce's mom since she was 5, I have known his dad since we were 13, we attended the same schools, graduated from the same high school the same year, played basketball on the same teams. I have attended the same church as Bryce's mom and grandmother and later Bryce for over 30 years. Bryce attended Breck because my son was already there, Bryce focused on football because I told him 6'2 basketball players were a dime a dozen. I have known Bryce BEFORE he knew himself. That's my background with Bryce.

Your information is baseless, while nobody is perfect there is nothing in Bryce's character that would warrant someone going on the internet and making this type of character assassination. What kind of person posts what you did based on second hand knowledge?

Is he considering coming back to MN to play football? Not for me to say but I will tell you this. My advice would be if you expect love at home forget about it, the vocal majority of Gopher fans seem to hate gopher football and love to tear their team/players apart. If he comes home he should expect more of this type of intrusion in his life.:(

GET. OVER. YOURSELF.

Jesus TF-ing Christ it is possible that one person in the world does NOT think Bryce McNeal is a saint? I am happy you are close to Bryce and his family, I trust he is a great, great, tremendous person in your eyes. I am sure he is a great guy at least 90% of the time. It just so happens, based on experience, someone else isn't very fond of Bryce. It happens. Someone out there thinks you are an ass. Just like someone out there thinks I am an ass (well, that is a given). No one is universally liked, no matter what. Just like nobody is perfect, not even Bryce.

GET. OVER. YOURSELF.

Jesus TF-ing Christ it is possible that one person in the world does NOT think Bryce McNeal is a saint? I am happy you are close to Bryce and his family, I trust he is a great, great, tremendous person in your eyes. I am sure he is a great guy at least 90% of the time. It just so happens, based on experience, someone else isn't very fond of Bryce. It happens. Someone out there thinks you are an ass. Just like someone out there thinks I am an ass (well, that is a given). No one is universally liked, no matter what. Just like nobody is perfect, not even Bryce.

I think that's the point, bashing a player based on heresay is foolish. If you have that info, present it very tactfully. Don't present it as fact or a revelation.

GET. OVER. YOURSELF.

so its ok for someone to randomly accuse Bryce of being something negative but someone who actually knows the kid has to get over himself for disputing it? I think you're the one that needs to get over yourself. Disagree or not most everyone on here respected the post accept you who felt the need to flame and be an idiot. You're the one that needs to check himself

so its ok for someone to randomly accuse Bryce of being something negative but someone who actually knows the kid has to get over himself for disputing it? I think you're the one that needs to get over yourself. Disagree or not most everyone on here respected the post accept you who felt the need to flame and be an idiot. You're the one that needs to check himself

There is no random accusation going on. I didnt just come on here and randomly accuse someone of being an ass. Let's see, whose reptuation should I tarnish....I'll just throw a dart at this dart board with faces for it to be random... I got credible information that McNeal is a huge ass. I passed it along. Someone who went to Elementary school with his Mom says that McNeal is so wholesome that he makes Jesus Christ himself look like a pedophile. Clearly, according to some on this board, its gotta be one or the other. No in between on this one, right? Since there is a slight chance he might come back to Minnesota everyone is inclined to believe he is Mother Teresa. Pssst, I hope he is Mother Teresa, but with 4.4 speed and hands, I am not trying to knock him, I am not slandering him, I am just telling you what people who matter think about him. Its not hearsay, or speculation, or a rumor, its straight from the horses bleeping mouth.

There is no random accusation going on. I didnt just come on here and randomly accuse someone of being an ass. Let's see, whose reptuation should I tarnish....I'll just throw a dart at this dart board with faces for it to be random... I got credible information that McNeal is a huge ass. I passed it along. Someone who went to Elementary school with his Mom says that McNeal is so wholesome that he makes Jesus Christ himself look like a pedophile. Clearly, according to some on this board, its gotta be one or the other. No in between on this one, right? Since there is a slight chance he might come back to Minnesota everyone is inclined to believe he is Mother Teresa. Pssst, I hope he is Mother Teresa, but with 4.4 speed and hands, I am not trying to knock him, I am not slandering him, I am just telling you what people who matter think about him. Its not hearsay, or speculation, or a rumor, its straight from the horses bleeping mouth.

this might be the poorest logic I have seen in quite a while, well at least since I stopped frequenting the OT board.

Let's see, a close family friend that has known Bryce his whole life, and GL who was constantly in contact with him during his recruitment, or your source??

I guess I'll go with yours since your source is the only one that's credible. Sportsfan and GL are first hand accounts but they never claimed to be credible, and clearly you are espousing the "in-between" opinion that he's a big ass verses the extreme opinion that he's a decent kid.

McNeal has stated that his Faith is very important to him. A person of strong Faith in Christ is often ridiculed for their stand on moral issues. Your last post makes almost a mockery of Jesus Christ and Mother Theresa. Maybe your source and friend also finds McNeal's Faith as offensive and this is the reason for his being turned off by his character.

Whatever is the truth, there are some sports fans that also know Jesus Christ as Lord, Savior and God. Be careful in your use of words not to bring offense even if you do not share that belief.

"Someone who went to Elementary school with his Mom says that McNeal is so wholesome that he makes Jesus Christ himself look like a pedophile."

I said that? No, I said I have known his mother since SHE was in elementary school. Are you sure the person you spoke to didn't say YOU are a huge ass?

Top Bottom