Brewster stays

umm once again a no facts poster

I'm not targeting you specifically, but the those of you harping Brew's recruiting can't have it both ways. The reality is that Mason's last two classes however 'horrible' you say they were ended up ranked in the 50's, but you tell me that "rankings and stars don't matter."

Yet Brewster's recruiting ability so far is only really backed by "rankings and stars." He had a top 20 class. That's impressive. Then a high 30's. OK. Now one that is clinging to the 30's but will likely fall further and not be that far above where Mason was. Niether of the two that are in-house have contributed yet. But based on the "rankings and stars" we have to give him more time because surely great things are ahead. Other schools in the Big 10 have freshman and sophmores from these two classes on All-Conference teams. We don't. The "talent and depth" haven't shown themselves yet. But he needs more time based on his "rankings and stars." So which is it? Do they matter or not?

We do have a player listed on 4 all frosh teams most particular steel's all frosh team

?

I'm not targeting you specifically, but the those of you harping Brew's recruiting can't have it both ways. The reality is that Mason's last two classes however 'horrible' you say they were ended up ranked in the 50's, but you tell me that "rankings and stars don't matter."

Yet Brewster's recruiting ability so far is only really backed by "rankings and stars." He had a top 20 class. That's impressive. Then a high 30's. OK. Now one that is clinging to the 30's but will likely fall further and not be that far above where Mason was. Niether of the two that are in-house have contributed yet. But based on the "rankings and stars" we have to give him more time because surely great things are ahead. Other schools in the Big 10 have freshman and sophmores from these two classes on All-Conference teams. We don't. The "talent and depth" haven't shown themselves yet. But he needs more time based on his "rankings and stars." So which is it? Do they matter or not?

Your post makes no sense.

There are people who have established themselves as Trolls of one variety or another. Play with them if you want, but it's never worth an attempt at a serious discussion.

TCU does play Utah and Air Force as well and the weaker teams they did play they blew most of them out as a great team does, but regardless they can only play those teams that will play them and I know for a fact from a former assistant AD there (now at South Carolina) that TCU has had difficulty getting the major BCS programs to play them. Many of the major programs are afraid of losing to them and if they beat them then it is a case of they should have won anyways. Boise State has publicly stated having this same difficulty as well.

Yeah, they're making quite the effort.:p They won't agree to an equal payout Home and Home and the Boise State offer to play "anywhere" was contingent on getting a $1,000,000 payout!:eek: Let them go the Florida State route and then get back to me.

But thanks for playing!

Your post makes no sense.

Read the post it was referring to. I was simply pointing out that Mason's last two recruiting classes were still ranked in the 50's even though he was saying they were 'terrible' and was told that 'rankings don't matter.' Yet that's one of the main defenses for Brewster is how much he has improved the rankings of our recruitng classes. It seemed hypocritical to me, that is all.

None of Mase's recruiting was lucky. He earned every bad class he got. Never once did he beat Wisconsin and Iowa in recruiting. He got what he deserved. Mediocrity.

Samsonite, Maturi said this morning on the radio that no extension has been made, he's hopeful after the bowl game, yada, yada, yada. Not trying to prove you wrong, just want to get your thoughts on this?

Our linebackers for three. Our Def. front line for some more. Our TE. Get the picture?

Only two of our linebackers were Mason guys (Lawrence was a JuCo Brewster guy). I think most people who have followed the Gophers are actually really excited about the future of our linebacker position. Cooper and Tinsley will both be a lot better than Campbell and Triplett.

As our defensive front goes....I have a hard time believing you will be whistling this tune in a couple years when our defensive front is Hageman/Garin-Kirksey-Edwards-KGM/Wilhite.

The only Jr's and Sr's who will be difficult to replace are Tow-Arnett and Decker. Wow...two players on an entire team.

Only two of our linebackers were Mason guys (Lawrence was a JuCo Brewster guy). I think most people who have followed the Gophers are actually really excited about the future of our linebacker position. Cooper and Tinsley will both be a lot better than Campbell and Triplett.

As our defensive front goes....I have a hard time believing you will be whistling this tune in a couple years when our defensive front is Hageman/Garin-Kirksey-Edwards-KGM/Wilhite.

The only Jr's and Sr's who will be difficult to replace are Tow-Arnett and Decker. Wow...two players on an entire team.

don't forget jacobs.

Read the post it was referring to. I was simply pointing out that Mason's last two recruiting classes were still ranked in the 50's even though he was saying they were 'terrible' and was told that 'rankings don't matter.' Yet that's one of the main defenses for Brewster is how much he has improved the rankings of our recruitng classes. It seemed hypocritical to me, that is all.

Actually, 55 and 62 -- but who's keeping track? Another point that was brought up earlier is that these classes have had high attrition rates. For example, it looks like 8 out of 20 made it through in the 2005 class and 8 out of 22 in the 2006 class. That trend appears to be changing. There were 28 players signed in the 2008 class, 24 of which are still on the team.

One school of thought is that players who are over matched don't stick around. It's no fun to suck. Mason's recruiting was a bit like throwing mud at the wall, finding lower ranked kids with the right size and hoping a few would stick. It's a good strategy if you truly can't compete for the better recruits. It was the reality when mason took over, that changed during his ten years, he just didn't change his approach to reflect the new opportunity.

Average recruits stars per rivals:

2005: 2.67 - 8th
2006: 2.33 - 9th
2007: 2.46 - 10th

2008: 3.07 - 3rd
2009: 3.05 - 4th
2010: 3.00 - 7th

Brewster's recruiting has been rather consistent, but look how it ranks vs the Big Ten. We've gotten more talent, but if other teams have too -- we need to coach/execute better as well. Talent won't equate directly to wins in this case.

Just an observation, since we've focused mostly on total points when judging recruiting.

Average recruits stars per rivals:

2005: 2.67 - 8th
2006: 2.33 - 9th
2007: 2.46 - 10th

2008: 3.07 - 3rd
2009: 3.05 - 4th
2010: 3.00 - 7th

Brewster's recruiting has been rather consistent, but look how it ranks vs the Big Ten. We've gotten more talent, but if other teams have too -- we need to coach/execute better as well. Talent won't equate directly to wins in this case.

Just an observation, since we've focused mostly on total points when judging recruiting.

Well stated.

I'm not sure if you read my reply correctly. The statement was that all of our Jr's and Sr's are garbage. I replied that is not true and listed several examples to prove it. Not sure how you got that I don't think our future players won't be better than that? I think many of our younger players will be better than good. The original poster (forgot the trolls name) insulted the jr's and sr's on the team, do you agree with him?

I'm not sure if you read my reply correctly. The statement was that all of our Jr's and Sr's are garbage. I replied that is not true and listed several examples to prove it. Not sure how you got that I don't think our future players won't be better than that? I think many of our younger players will be better than good. The original poster (forgot the trolls name) insulted the jr's and sr's on the team, do you agree with him?

garbage is a relative term, our jr's and sr's are garbage when compared to say Texas' upperclassmen or Florida's, or USC's. Besides Decker our upperclassman are marginally better than many DII players and that does not cut it. Now with the arrival of James Green, we are better at every position than we were last year.

How are they better at WR and MLB? Will Green get into school? And if so, he didn't play anywhere last year ... he looks the part, but I think we need to be careful in anointing him the next great thing. It'll be tough to convince me at WR after losing Decker. Also Cooper should be eventually, but I'm not sure that next year he is better than Lawrence. Also better at TE?

How are they better at WR and MLB? Will Green get into school? And if so, he didn't play anywhere last year ... he looks the part, but I think we need to be careful in anointing him the next great thing. It'll be tough to convince me at WR after losing Decker. Also Cooper should be eventually, but I'm not sure that next year he is better than Lawrence. Also better at TE?

Better at WR by Green and Green both being 4 star athletes and Brandon Green being more experienced. Dajon Mcknight will get better year after year because he did not play much high school ball but is very talented, and Allen and Troy S are both play makers. Decker in some cases held the receiving corp back by Weber forcing the ball to him and not giving the others time to shine. The line backers are all more talented than Tripplet and Campbell, those two gave us one year of productivity in their careers. Cooper will be all Big Ten and Tinsley, Maresh and Reeves will be more than productive. Tow Arnett definitely overachieved during his career and was a nice story but by no means is hard to replace.

Brandon Green has shown us little through two seasons ... the new Green kid looks super, but let's wait on him getting into school first ... Maresh hasn't taken a live snap in years, and Campbell was solid, so hard to see an upgrade there ... I'll grant you Tinsley over Triplett, but Triplett had a nice year ... and which TE is then going to be better than Tow-Arnett?

when we're 5-7 next year with another year of terrible offense it will be obvious that Maturi will let him go.

The program is in the same place it was when Mason left.....average. Much better talent under Brew, but much worse coaching. I was really hopeful when Brew took over, but midway through this season I could see the writing on the wall. He's done...it's just a matter of time. Should have fired him after the Iowa game, now we're just spinning our wheels for another year.

So is your lead sentence what you think will happen or what you want to happen? I'm beginning to find this rush to football Armageddon a bit disturbing.

Top Bottom