Brewster stays

Mr. Samsonite

Reaction score
Brewster will be staying here, he got an extension to his contract and hopefully huff will change his mind, but i highly doubt it

hope you are right and not just messin' around. it would mean the spineless, aww shucks, wonder-dweeb joel maturi has finally found the coconuts to make an executive decision one way or the other on the very important subject.

if it is true, then the unfortunate part is i think joel maturi's fence-sitting has once again caused a gophers athletic program some good recruits who got scared and bolted because they thought the coach they committed to might be on his/her way out.

Maturi is just giving him the extension for recruiting purposes. He'll be fired after next season.

Is this the same source that guaranteed us a spot in the Alamo Bowl?

obvious? why, because Brewster has reached the same level in year 3 as it took Mason 10 years to reach. Because Brewster has moved our talent level to 4th best in the Big 10 and from 60th nationally to 30th? Because we have upgraded talent waiting to play at every single position on the field? ya, makes sense to fire him and it is completely obvious. People who don't understand how far Brewster has taken this program do not understand what a real football program looks like. I guess if you don't want the Gophers to resemble the Longhorns then Brewster needs to be fired, if you want to be playing for National Championships like Mack Brown then Brewster should stay.

when we're 5-7 next year with another year of terrible offense it will be obvious that Maturi will let him go.

The program is in the same place it was when Mason left.....average. Much better talent under Brew, but much worse coaching. I was really hopeful when Brew took over, but midway through this season I could see the writing on the wall. He's done...it's just a matter of time. Should have fired him after the Iowa game, now we're just spinning our wheels for another year.

back to the same level as the previous coaching staff in year 3 is actually very good. You expect to take many steps back before taking big steps forward. How did people not expect this? Brewster should not be judged for another 2 years, in 2 years if he is not finishing in the top 3 or 4 in the Big 10 then he should be evaluated, anything before that is waaaaay to soon to judge. He is still playing with Mason's rejects as Junior's and Senior's.

He is still playing with Mason's rejects as Junior's and Senior's.

I really doubt that is the best way to describe some of our best players. Best players by a mile in some cases.

please list which of those are our best? I can only think of Decker.

Brewster has reached the same level in year 3 as it took Mason 10 years to reach...Brewster should not be judged for another 2 years, in 2 years if he is not finishing in the top 3 or 4 in the Big 10 then he should be evaluated, anything before that is waaaaay to soon to judge. He is still playing with Mason's rejects as Junior's and Senior's.

This is dishonest. In Mason's third year he had an 8-4 record, a win over top 5 PSU, a win over rival Iowa, and a national ranking to finish the season. Brewster has accomplished none of those. And Mason inherited a team that hadn't been to a bowl in over a decade, unlike Brewster.

I also don't think the "5 year rule" should apply to Brewster. He decided to go the JUCO route, and these guys are upperclassmen ready to play right away. Maybe not D1 experienced, but physically mature and playing at the college level. Hence, he should be seeing earlier results. In addition, if his recruting classes are twice as good (by the rankings) as Mason's, his RS frosh and sophomores should be making more penetration into the starting lineup by now. Finally, the new stadium is a recruiting tool and a homefield advantage that Mason didn't have. Hence, I think you've got what you've got now. I don't think giving him beyond next year to succeed will be of much help.

This is dishonest. In Mason's third year he had an 8-4 record, a win over top 5 PSU, a win over rival Iowa, and a national ranking to finish the season. Brewster has accomplished none of those. And Mason inherited a team that hadn't been to a bowl in over a decade, unlike Brewster.

I also don't think the "5 year rule" should apply to Brewster. He decided to go the JUCO route, and these guys are upperclassmen ready to play right away. Maybe not D1 experienced, but physically mature and playing at the college level. Hence, he should be seeing earlier results. In addition, if his recruting classes are twice as good (by the rankings) as Mason's, his RS frosh and sophomores should be making more penetration into the starting lineup by now. Finally, the new stadium is a recruiting tool and a homefield advantage that Mason didn't have. Hence, I think you've got what you've got now. I don't think giving him beyond next year to succeed will be of much help.

But the problem is by his 10th year he had lost the progress he made. Maybe the 07 team wouldn't have gone 1-11 with Mase (no system change etc.) but it wouldn't have been much better. (This is becoming a tired debate btw)

Kirksey and Edwards are upgrades at DT
Maresh, Tinsley, Cooper, Reeves, Singleton are all upgrades at LB
Carter is an Upgrade at DB
Gray is an upgrade at QB
Wilhite and Hageman are upgrades at DE
the receivers are all upgrades
the Oline players waiting in the wings are all upgrades (Brooks Michal, Ed Olson, jimmy Gjere, Ragoo, Henderson)
Lipscomb when he gets here will be the best RB we have had since Maroney/Barber
McKinnley, Simmons, Lawrence are all upper classmen and great but they are Brews guys.

Next year is the crucial year (but I have always believed new coaches need five years). Defense and the kicking game are definitely improved, as is the overall morale of the team (no late game collapses, frequent comebacks, etc.). Offense is the last link and that requires a QB who is not 100 out of 100 nationally in pass efficiency, plus a strong running back who can break tackles, and an improved O-line.

Lair and Hageman are both better than the walk on Tow Arnett, they just need experience. Rivals, Scout, and ESPN would all agree with me, as would anybody with eyes and a stop watch.

Because Brewster has moved our talent level to 4th best in the Big 10 and from 60th nationally to 30th? I guess if you don't want the Gophers to resemble the Longhorns then Brewster needs to be fired, if you want to be playing for National Championships like Mack Brown then Brewster should stay.

Congrats, you have been awarded the Kool-Aid Post of the Month!!:drink:

Our starting LB's were a 2 star (Campbell) 3 star (Tripplett) 4 star (Lawrence, who was a Brewster Guy) Next year we will start a 4 star, a 4 star, and a 3 star, with 3 stars as backups.

Congrats, you have been awarded the Kool-Aid Post of the Month!!:drink:

Thank you, I would rather be a kool aid drinker than negative and hateful like you and the media. Which is better for the program?

Gray is an upgrade at QB
Wilhite and Hageman are upgrades at DE...
the Oline players waiting in the wings are all upgrades (Brooks Michal, Ed Olson, jimmy Gjere, Ragoo, Henderson)
Lipscomb when he gets here will be the best RB we have had since Maroney/Barber...
Lair and Hageman are both better than the walk on Tow Arnett, they just need experience. Rivals, Scout, and ESPN would all agree with me, as would anybody with eyes and a stop watch.

This is the "backup QB is always the best player on a struggling team" syndrome to the nth degree. Are you saying the incoming/upcoming players are going to produce more wins because they have more stars behind their names? Statistically that probably bears out when you consider how many 4* and 5* there are at Florida, Texas, OSU, etc. but coaching also has a lot to do with it. There's no way to tell whether these guys will be successful as a TEAM. Look at Illinois with Juice and Benn-how is the Zook model working out there?

As I said, I think year 4 should be it for Brewster. He had his chance to jumpstart things with the JUCOs. If a coach goes that route, he should live with being held to a shorter timeline.

I'm not trying to troll at all here, but you really need to pay a little less attention to stars. Just last season, the Badgers had two linebackers who were wonderful as freshmen that were a two-star (Chris Borland) and a three-star (Mike Taylor). Taylor was great before going down with a knee injury and Borland was only the best freshman in the conference. While you generally would like to have higher-caliber players, I can tell you that there are plenty of blue chip busts.

If the upgrades were as obvious as you say they are, wouldn't these guys have gotten a little more time this year?

These guys are freshman and need more muscle to play at this level, so no, I would not have expected more time form them this year.

The Zook model has worked well, He has already been to the Rose Bowl.

This is not "backup QB better" syndrome. 99 starting QB's were better than Weber this year, check out the QB rankings Weber SUCKED and it will not take much from Gray to produce better results than the 100th ranked QB.

how many 2 stars are busts compared to how many 4 stars are busts? How many NFL players were highly ranked high school recruits? I believe a whole lot of them.

any other questions I can answer?

when we're 5-7 next year with another year of terrible offense it will be obvious that Maturi will let him go.

The program is in the same place it was when Mason left.....average. Much better talent under Brew, but much worse coaching. I was really hopeful when Brew took over, but midway through this season I could see the writing on the wall. He's done...it's just a matter of time. Should have fired him after the Iowa game, now we're just spinning our wheels for another year.

I'm sick and tired of people ripping Brewster's coaching...and on top of it saying he's worse than Mason. Have you forgotten the multitude of second half collapses that Mason gave up? How many games has Brew given up 3-4 touchdown leads in the second half? 2 years ago NW? I also want to ask how many times Mason came from 2 touchdowns behind in the second half to win a game? Never? He couldn't coach outside his weekly game plan. Brew on the other hand pretty much always seems to have a better second half.

Is it Brews coaching when Weber throws pick six touchdown passes to wide open defensive backs? Is it his coaching when our kickoffs go out of bounds? Is it coaching when our punter has a net 10 yard punt? (These were all in the Illinois game by the way)
Absolutely not.

I will also address the penalty situation...
I really don't have too much of a problem with our penalties, especially when they are on our defense. I believe Brew has instilled a more aggressive approach to football and this has resulted in more personal fouls and pass interference calls. I'm sure Brew is ticked at the penalties just as we are, but I like that we now play alot of the time with a swagger in our step.

Our starting LB's were a 2 star (Campbell) 3 star (Tripplett) 4 star (Lawrence, who was a Brewster Guy) Next year we will start a 4 star, a 4 star, and a 3 star, with 3 stars as backups.

So are you saying Lee Campbell played like a two-star player this year? That Lawrence was twice as good as Campbell on the field based on his star rating?

Do you even watch the games? Or just sim them on your Xbox?

Top Bottom