Brewster stays

So are you saying Lee Campbell played like a two-star player this year? That Lawrence was twice as good as Campbell on the field based on his star rating?

Do you even watch the games? Or just sim them on your Xbox?

What he doesn't get is that our seniors (and some juniors) was/are getting time because right now they are better than the younger guys. Hopefully the younger guys will get better and be better, but that isn't the point--not even close. Bankonit called them rejects. When I hear the term "reject" think of a terrible player. Campbell-Triplett-etc.. are good players right now and far from rejects. We have to remember that Bank can't be positive unless he adds some unbelievable negative statements as well. He means well, I think.

Campbell and Lawrence don't play the same position, Maresh will be better than Campbell and Cooper will match or excel Lawrence's production. Lawrence also made plays that Cambell can not make based on speed and athleticism.

I appreciate Campbells and Tripplets effort but believe the players behind them have much much more upside and thus are better players. I also call them rejects because who else were offering these guys scholarships? USC? Florida? OSU? Mason's players were players the big boys did not want, he competed with the MAC for everybody's rejects.

I'm sick and tired of people ripping Brewster's coaching...and on top of it saying he's worse than Mason. Have you forgotten the multitude of second half collapses that Mason gave up? How many games has Brew given up 3-4 touchdown leads in the second half? 2 years ago NW? I also want to ask how many times Mason came from 2 touchdowns behind in the second half to win a game? Never? He couldn't coach outside his weekly game plan. Brew on the other hand pretty much always seems to have a better second half.

Is it Brews coaching when Weber throws pick six touchdown passes to wide open defensive backs? Is it his coaching when our kickoffs go out of bounds? Is it coaching when our punter has a net 10 yard punt? (These were all in the Illinois game by the way)
Absolutely not.

I will also address the penalty situation...
I really don't have too much of a problem with our penalties, especially when they are on our defense. I believe Brew has instilled a more aggressive approach to football and this has resulted in more personal fouls and pass interference calls. I'm sure Brew is ticked at the penalties just as we are, but I like that we now play alot of the time with a swagger in our step.

Completely agree. I also would rather have the penalties playing aggressive than playing a prevent style defense played by Mason.

I also don't think the "5 year rule" should apply to Brewster. He decided to go the JUCO route, and these guys are upperclassmen ready to play right away. Maybe not D1 experienced, but physically mature and playing at the college level. Hence, he should be seeing earlier results. In addition, if his recruting classes are twice as good (by the rankings) as Mason's, his RS frosh and sophomores should be making more penetration into the starting lineup by now. Finally, the new stadium is a recruiting tool and a homefield advantage that Mason didn't have. Hence, I think you've got what you've got now. I don't think giving him beyond next year to succeed will be of much help.

He didn't decide to go the JUCO route, he was pretty much forced to because we had such little talent. JUCO's are not always ready to play right away and even though it is college, it's still a huge jump to D1. And it's not like we have a ton of JUCO's on the roster anyways.

A good amount of younger players were playing late in the season. Our entire WR group was young, Whaley got the most plays at RB, Michael Carter became our starting CB, Cooper played a lot at LB, and Kirksey and Edwards played a bunch at DT. You just can't expect every freshman to just come in right away and play well, no matter how talented they are. Redshirting a lot of guys like Maresh is the right thing to do. Patience!

This isn't the NFL. It takes time to turn things around. Don't know if Brewster will get it done or not, but if we're hiring a new coach every 3 or 4 years, then we'll never be a top program.

Is this in fact true?

If so...good for the Gophers.

But as usual Maturi...whiffed on the timing...should have happened right on or around Thanksgiving.

GM

Our starting LB's were a 2 star (Campbell) 3 star (Tripplett) 4 star (Lawrence, who was a Brewster Guy) Next year we will start a 4 star, a 4 star, and a 3 star, with 3 stars as backups.

So this year, Notre Dame started one 5* player, seven 4* players and three 3* players. With all those stars, how can you explain them finishing 87th in Total Defense? 90th in Rushing Defense? 81st in Pass Defense? 64th in Scoring Defense?

This is dishonest. In Mason's third year he had an 8-4 record, a win over top 5 PSU, a win over rival Iowa, and a national ranking to finish the season. Brewster has accomplished none of those. And Mason inherited a team that hadn't been to a bowl in over a decade, unlike Brewster.

Mason also had 14 future NFL players on the field. How many did Brewster have this past season?

The Zook model has worked well, He has already been to the Rose Bowl.

Ask the folks in Chambana how they feel about the Zook model right about now. He might have gone to a Rose Bowl (after a 9-3 season, by the way, and the lowest ranking of an at-large BCS team), but he's also fallen flat on his face since.

So this year, Notre Dame started one 5* player, seven 4* players and three 3* players. With all those stars, how can you explain them finishing 87th in Total Defense? 90th in Rushing Defense? 81st in Pass Defense? 64th in Scoring Defense?

Considering bankonit hasn't even seen the majority of the players listed play a down of college football, yet is certain they are better than the previous players based on stars alone. I guess according to him we can then just skip the games and award the national championship based on Rivals ranking.

Ask the folks in Chambana how they feel about the Zook model right about now. He might have gone to a Rose Bowl (after a 9-3 season, by the way, and the lowest ranking of an at-large BCS team), but he's also fallen flat on his face since.

If Zook leaves Illinois in the same shape he left Florida Illinois should erect a statue of him. That will mean Illinois will be poised to compete for National Championships. Urban Meyer won Championships thanks to Ron Zook.

Considering bankonit hasn't even seen the majority of the players listed play a down of college football, yet is certain they are better than the previous players based on stars alone. I guess according to him we can then just skip the games and award the national championship based on Rivals ranking.

I know you won't like to admit it but the rivals rankings and the BCS rankings do have a coloration. It is not an exact science but class ranking and success are related to each other. Did anyone ever see Lebron James play a minute of College ball? yet NBA scouts knew he was great.

Our starting LB's were a 2 star (Campbell) 3 star (Tripplett) 4 star (Lawrence, who was a Brewster Guy) Next year we will start a 4 star, a 4 star, and a 3 star, with 3 stars as backups.

I'll take two-star Decker over any 3-4 star in the country.

Rivals loves people like bankonit. They appreciate the $100/a year, bank.

when we're 5-7 next year with another year of terrible offense it will be obvious that Maturi will let him go.

The program is in the same place it was when Mason left.....average. Much better talent under Brew, but much worse coaching. I was really hopeful when Brew took over, but midway through this season I could see the writing on the wall. He's done...it's just a matter of time. Should have fired him after the Iowa game, now we're just spinning our wheels for another year.

i disagree! the current program is not in the same position as it was under mason. under mason we wouldnt have any hype or expectations by the fans! we also didnt have any direction, mason made it very clear he was not going to try to make our program into something that could contend for a big ten title! he lacked in effort in recruiting and he always hoped he could land a better job coming. we would hope for a 7-8 win season based solely on beating 4 horrible teams and beating northwestern and indiana and hoping we could knock off mich st as well as purdue! i think its cute how mason supporters now think he was some great x's and o's guy when he was not competitive at all in the big ten, look up his record! he was not good against wisconsin or iowa and he virtually told the state of minny that our top recruits should go someplace else becausewe werent a top tier program! mason never reached for the stars and now that we have a coach who does he has built expectations that nearly none of us had 5 years ago! we have an over the top mr positive in brew who has nearly repaired minny high school coaches relationships with the U as well as the fact he goes to these kids and workds his ass off to bring them to Minnesota. the whole atmosphere around campus has been better and it will continue to grow because we have a plan! so in my mind attitude and talent is what is different now! mason sucked as a coach in the major conference level! if he didnt he would be holding a clipboard making a hell of a lot more cash then he does at the moment!

usually 2 star recievers like decker pop up all over the country. he is the exception not the standard! another reason why the star systems are sometimes proven to be completely wrong and shouldnt be taken so seriously all the time.

Really? You take him over Golden Tate, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Percy Harvin, Michael Crabtree, Desean Jackson? Because NFL scouts may disagree with you. These are all guys Decker's age or younger.

I know you won't like to admit it but the rivals rankings and the BCS rankings do have a coloration. It is not an exact science but class ranking and success are related to each other. Did anyone ever see Lebron James play a minute of College ball? yet NBA scouts knew he was great.

I guess that TCU, Boise State, Notre Dame, etc.. didn't get the memo that Rivals rankings foreshadow their success or failure. I am surprised that college football coaches could even do their job before Rivals existed, afterall I am sure that former sports writer/video coordinator is a better evaluator of talent than a actual coach versus a has been or a never was.

I guess that TCU, Boise State, Notre Dame, etc.. didn't get the memo that Rivals rankings foreshadow their success or failure. I am surprised that college football coaches could even do their job before Rivals existed, afterall I am sure that former sports writer/video coordinator is a better evaluator of talent than a actual coach versus a has been or a never was.

Very nice! :clap:

Really? You take him over Golden Tate, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Percy Harvin, Michael Crabtree, Desean Jackson? Because NFL scouts may disagree with you. These are all guys Decker's age or younger.

Yes

If Zook leaves Illinois in the same shape he left Florida Illinois should erect a statue of him. That will mean Illinois will be poised to compete for National Championships. Urban Meyer won Championships thanks to Ron Zook.

So all of Alabama's success over the past two years can be credited to Mike Shula? Wonder why he doesn't have a job right now:confused:

This is dishonest. In Mason's third year he had an 8-4 record, a win over top 5 PSU, a win over rival Iowa, and a national ranking to finish the season. Brewster has accomplished none of those. And Mason inherited a team that hadn't been to a bowl in over a decade, unlike Brewster.

I also don't think the "5 year rule" should apply to Brewster. He decided to go the JUCO route, and these guys are upperclassmen ready to play right away. Maybe not D1 experienced, but physically mature and playing at the college level. Hence, he should be seeing earlier results. In addition, if his recruting classes are twice as good (by the rankings) as Mason's, his RS frosh and sophomores should be making more penetration into the starting lineup by now. Finally, the new stadium is a recruiting tool and a homefield advantage that Mason didn't have. Hence, I think you've got what you've got now. I don't think giving him beyond next year to succeed will be of much help.

And that team had a defense anchored by Wacker recruits (Middlebrooks, Schlect, Anderle, Mezera, Jones)--it went all downhill on defense after that and our offense merely switched from pass-happy to run happy.

Mason didn't have the tool and was a tool. He hated recruiting and rarely did it in person. Mason lucked out with Maroney and Barber. Maroney was better than scouted (by every team in the country) and Barber was recruited to play d-back. Mason "cheaped out" with the O-line and lucked out with Eslinger and Setterstrom--big time.

The "JUCO" route is only a couple of players. This route aso keeps you from throwing true freshman into the fire and wasting a year of eligibilty.

Our current team's defense will improve every year and the offense WILL get much better as the recruits start to play.

And that team had a defense anchored by Wacker recruits (Middlebrooks, Schlect, Anderle, Mezera, Jones)--it went all downhill on defense after that and our offense merely switched from pass-happy to run happy.

Mason didn't have the tool and was a tool. He hated recruiting and rarely did it in person. Mason lucked out with Maroney and Barber. Maroney was better than scouted (by every team in the country) and Barber was recruited to play d-back. Mason "cheaped out" with the O-line and lucked out with Eslinger and Setterstrom--big time.

The "JUCO" route is only a couple of players. This route aso keeps you from throwing true freshman into the fire and wasting a year of eligibilty.

Our current team's defense will improve every year and the offense WILL get much better as the recruits start to play.

It's amazing how when Mason got recruits it was 'luck' but when Brewster gets them it's because he's a wonderful recruiter. Spare me. Brewster is indeed a better recruiter but not by nearly the margin some of you make him out to be. Mason's classes were usually in the 50's if the rankings matter. That's not good, but it could be worse. Brew's have been in the 30's the last two year's and this year's 30's ranking is sliding by the day and it's his own fault. At any rate, the current improvement in recruiting is 100% offset by inability to choose an offensive system and a general inability to coach on gameday. God willing maybe both of things can magically fix themselves.

Gee, I wonder if Alabama and Texas are teams full of two star players from North Dakota?

It's amazing how when Mason got recruits it was 'luck' but when Brewster gets them it's because he's a wonderful recruiter. Spare me. Brewster is indeed a better recruiter but not by nearly the margin some of you make him out to be. Mason's classes were usually in the 50's if the rankings matter. That's not good, but it could be worse. Brew's have been in the 30's the last two year's and this year's 30's ranking is sliding by the day and it's his own fault. At any rate, the current improvement in recruiting is 100% offset by inability to choose an offensive system and a general inability to coach on gameday. God willing maybe both of things can magically fix themselves.

I don't want to highjack this thread, but this statement is completely off. Our recruiting under Mason was horrible, absolutely horrible. The "rankings" don't matter, the stars don't matter, the talent and depth does matter, as does the effort in scouting and selling the program to the recruits.
Hate to :horse:, but the 05 and 06 recruits were pathetic. How many actually are still with the program, not many, how many actually contributed, not many.

And yes, I'll go ahead and say it, it WAS luck alot of the time with Mason, he sure as hell didn't work hard at it, so it must have been a blind squirrel approach.
Barber almost didn't even get an offer, and when he did it was to play DB. Decker almost went to St. Johns, but since Cold Spring wasn't that far away, Mason actually was able to go recruit him, Brewster does the same thing but he make home visits in Texas and Florida. Not just up 94.
Eslinger, was a kid from the Dakotas who came out of no where to attend a camp and ended up being a prototype for the zone scheme. We've got freshmen and sophs playing serious minutes this year and will have a seriously young and talented team next year.

I'm not trying to troll at all here, but you really need to pay a little less attention to stars. Just last season, the Badgers had two linebackers who were wonderful as freshmen that were a two-star (Chris Borland) and a three-star (Mike Taylor). Taylor was great before going down with a knee injury and Borland was only the best freshman in the conference. While you generally would like to have higher-caliber players, I can tell you that there are plenty of blue chip busts.

If the upgrades were as obvious as you say they are, wouldn't these guys have gotten a little more time this year?

If you looked at overall team strength by using a rolling four year rivals picture, you'd see that Wiscy finished in the big Ten right where their recruiting suggested they should. And so did the gophers. The beauty in this is that until this past week, we were trending up and wisconsin was trending down.

To sum up, the rivals rankings are far more predictive than people want to believe. This should scare badgers everywhere.

Well maybe you should be comparing the ratings for a school against the ratings of teams they actually play.

You're right about Notre Dame but if Boise State didn't have a schedule with Oregon (ok), the Miami of Ohio, Fresno State, UC Davis, Tulsa, Hawaii, San Jose State, La Tech, Idaho, Utah State, Nevada and New Mexico State how many of those undefeated or 10 win seasons do you think they'd be putting-up? Though their coaches can seem to get them up for the two games a year when they DO play teams with better talent.

TCU? They have two BCS schools (Clemson and Virginia) on their schedule rather then one. BYU also is an opponent.

My word, Glen Mason or maybe even Sunny Jim would have been ICONS around here if they got to play those schedules every year. Glen actually tried to thoigh didn't he.

Maybe the Moderators should just re-post the "Star Rating" thread every couple of weeks. Memories around here seem to get shorter and shorter. :eek:

I don't want to highjack this thread, but this statement is completely off. Our recruiting under Mason was horrible, absolutely horrible. The "rankings" don't matter, the stars don't matter, the talent and depth does matter, as does the effort in scouting and selling the program to the recruits.
Hate to :horse:, but the 05 and 06 recruits were pathetic. How many actually are still with the program, not many, how many actually contributed, not many.

And yes, I'll go ahead and say it, it WAS luck alot of the time with Mason, he sure as hell didn't work hard at it, so it must have been a blind squirrel approach.
Barber almost didn't even get an offer, and when he did it was to play DB. Decker almost went to St. Johns, but since Cold Spring wasn't that far away, Mason actually was able to go recruit him, Brewster does the same thing but he make home visits in Texas and Florida. Not just up 94.
Eslinger, was a kid from the Dakotas who came out of no where to attend a camp and ended up being a prototype for the zone scheme. We've got freshmen and sophs playing serious minutes this year and will have a seriously young and talented team next year.

I'm not targeting you specifically, but the those of you harping Brew's recruiting can't have it both ways. The reality is that Mason's last two classes however 'horrible' you say they were ended up ranked in the 50's, but you tell me that "rankings and stars don't matter."

Yet Brewster's recruiting ability so far is only really backed by "rankings and stars." He had a top 20 class. That's impressive. Then a high 30's. OK. Now one that is clinging to the 30's but will likely fall further and not be that far above where Mason was. Niether of the two that are in-house have contributed yet. But based on the "rankings and stars" we have to give him more time because surely great things are ahead. Other schools in the Big 10 have freshman and sophmores from these two classes on All-Conference teams. We don't. The "talent and depth" haven't shown themselves yet. But he needs more time based on his "rankings and stars." So which is it? Do they matter or not?

Well maybe you should be comparing the ratings for a school against the ratings of teams they actually play.

You're right about Notre Dame but if Boise State didn't have a schedule with Oregon (ok), the Miami of Ohio, Fresno State, UC Davis, Tulsa, Hawaii, San Jose State, La Tech, Idaho, Utah State, Nevada and New Mexico State how many of those undefeated or 10 win seasons do you think they'd be putting-up? Though their coaches can seem to get them up for the two games a year when they DO play teams with better talent.

TCU? They have two BCS schools (Clemson and Virginia) on their schedule rather then one. BYU also is an opponent.

My word, Glen Mason or maybe even Sunny Jim would have been ICONS around here if they got to play those schedules every year. Glen actually tried to thoigh didn't he.

Maybe the Moderators should just re-post the "Star Rating" thread every couple of weeks. Memories around here seem to get shorter and shorter. :eek:

+1, include a preseason prediction thread also please:D

TCU does play Utah and Air Force as well and the weaker teams they did play they blew most of them out as a great team does, but regardless they can only play those teams that will play them and I know for a fact from a former assistant AD there (now at South Carolina) that TCU has had difficulty getting the major BCS programs to play them. Many of the major programs are afraid of losing to them and if they beat them then it is a case of they should have won anyways. Boise State has publicly stated having this same difficulty as well.

Top Bottom