Brewster on the Sports Huddle

Those who see them don't need them pointed out, and those that ask to have them pointed out aren't likely to be satisfied that what is laid out is truely a miracle or in this case an improvement.

Where was the improvement? This season was exactly like last season in nearly every aspect.......

...except of course the Iowa score... :D

In sports, are there really any true "journalists" ? I have said many times, and will repeat, that I get paid, albeit at the time not much, to mostly give my opinions, whether it used to be on KFAN, or at times on AM 1500 or CH 9, or on a few websites. I back up plenty of my takes...you went down the Rivals road, not me, so no reason in that regard to pull up every players' offer list.
Never said you didn't put effort into your takes ... heck, you're one of the better thought-out posters on here ... just was challenging you on your defensive assertions.
Hard to constantly name sources. When I posted the Wynn information yesterday, had the Tempe police spokesperson on the record, so when applicable, will always cite on the record sources.

Doogie, members of the media should not be offering up opinions if they don't have at least a rudimentary knowledge of what they are talking about. Particularly when they pass those opinions off has knowledge based.

In an earlier post you citicized the gophers for playing their safties and corners too far off the ball.
If you understood schemes and why they run those schemes you would not have made THAT criticism. This is not difficult stuff, you scheme to cover weaknesses, accent strengths and/or stop what the offense or defense is doing on a particular play. I do not think it is unreasonable to expect paid professionals (not nessarilytalking about you) to have high a level of understanding about what they do for a living. Sports media folk have access to coaches and players why don't they LEARN something from these people by asking questions and retaining that knowledge?:)

Chris (assuming this is you) -- You know I greatly respect your opinions, especially with the unique insight you have ... on Hageman, say that he has done a great job in practice one-on-one vs. the O-linemen and has made strides in the weight room, which he did say, but to bring his name up in the same sentence as Suh is not necessary.

Much like most of the garbage you spew!!!:blah::horse:

Doogie, members of the media should not be offering up opinions if they don't have at least a rudimentary knowledge of what they are talking about. Particularly when they pass those opinions off has knowledge based.

In an earlier post you citicized the gophers for playing their safties and corners too far off the ball.
If you understood schemes and why they run those schemes you would not have made THAT criticism. This is not difficult stuff, you scheme to cover weaknesses, accent strengths and/or stop what the offense or defense is doing on a particular play. I do not think it is unreasonable to expect paid professionals (not nessarilytalking about you) to have high a level of understanding about what they do for a living. Sports media folk have access to coaches and players why don't they LEARN something from these people by asking questions and retaining that knowledge?:)

Chris -- You know me well enough ... you don't think that I haven't talked to informed people, do you? Those who have watched enough Gophers football and have a background in the game have made that assertion with me .. wondering why your son is playing so far off the line, although way more the case with Kyle ... also wondering why your son is not a CB ... they bring up the Ill. game in particular ... agree or disagree that Kim should be moved to CB?

What the hell does this even mean? 'Fair' is open to interpretation. Yours is not the same as someone else's.

If someone thinks that Brewster sucks, they have no obligation whatsoever so state the alternate case. Its an opinion.

Where did I say people could not have an opinion? I never said that. I said even columnists have an obligation to be fair. To give reasons for their opinions or why not just hire someone like you to say "Brewster sucks, Brewster sucks". Fair analysis behind opinions is what makes a columnist worth his or her weight, not some unfounded opinion. Anyone can do that.

We struggled this year getting pressure on the QB. Last year we had a DE that could get to the QB, which opened up our blitz game. It made our secondary look a lot better at the awards showed it. This year we didn't not have a person with the skill set to get to the QB. Therefore it limited the skills of people like Lawrence (blizting) and Theret(ints). I am not sitting in the team practices to say we will have that next year. I predict that we will, but that is about as valuable as throwing a bunch of dots on a forum post.

As a x and o type person I can't say it enough how valuable theret is on the field. Not only his football physical abilities, but more importantly the mental part of the game.

Chris -- You know me well enough ... you don't think that I haven't talked to informed people, do you? Those who have watched enough Gophers football and have a background in the game have made that assertion with me .. wondering why your son is playing so far off the line, although way more the case with Kyle ... also wondering why your son is not a CB ... they bring up the Ill. game in particular ... agree or disagree that Kim should be moved to CB?

Fair question, I'm hesitant to answer because I do not want to come off as being critcal of the players. Here is my opinion (not anyone elses).

The strength of the lb group was not pass coverage. The strength of the front four was not the pass rush. The coaches used a combination of blitzes by the corners, lb's and safties to get pressure on the opposing qb's. This meant that the cb's were in man coverage quite a bit and left only one saftey over the top. Other times it meant that the secondary needed to play zone to combat rb's and Te's out running pass patterns. Little to no over the top help means you give some room and come up quick to make the tackle or break up the pass.

Why didn't Kim play corner? He played a ton of cb all season long. The gophers almost never inserted a nickle corner (3rd corner or 5 db). They used the FS (Kim) to cover the slot wr (3rd wr's).

When I look back at how the d-staff schemed I find it amazing; they did an awesome job.

Chris (assuming this is you) -- You know I greatly respect your opinions, especially with the unique insight you have ... on Hageman, say that he has done a great job in practice one-on-one vs. the O-linemen and has made strides in the weight room, which he did say, but to bring his name up in the same sentence as Suh is not necessary.

Do you know what the word could means? He said COULD not IS. Seeing the retractions you've made on this board alone, I suggest you move out of that glass house before slinging stones.

Other highlights: Brewster said "Our team has improved each year." ... if you count being one of the seven worst FBS offenses (120 teams total) as improvement, so be it.
And on Hageman, he said he could have a Suh-like impact ... that would make him a Heisman candidate ... I say let's wait and see him take a snap at DE first. He is a heck of an athlete, but we've never seen him take a college snap at DE ... why not just say that he looks the part in practice, but gameday performance is a mystery.

hey doogie, why does the team only show improvement if the offense is better? isnt the defense and special teams part of the game? i think every year our oline has played a little better. it appeared the penalties slowed especially in the bowl game. i would say the wide outs seemed to improve through out the season as well did the runningbacks(although the rb's need to get a lot better). i think you can look at this team compared to last years team and find a lot of positives that anyone can say they have gotten better. yes you can find certain things to say they have gotten worse(weber) but as a whole i would have to think we can honestly say this team has taken strides along the way

Remove the outlier of penalties in the MSU game and they decreased from the 1st half to the 2nd half, 7 vs 4.7, keep the MSU outlier and they still decreased from 7 to 6, if I remember my calculations. Texas Tech was one of the most penalized teams in the nation 118 of 120 teams, I guess Leach will be a non-starter for Doogie as a coaching replacement, oh wait...

Gophers penalties by game:

Syracuse: 10 / 61
Air Force: 8 / 69
California: 3 / 34
N'western: 1 / 14
Wisconsin: 9 / 75
Purdue: 4 / 45
Penn St: 5 / 40
Ohio St: 8 / 72
Mich St: 17 / 157
Illinois: 3 / 22
SD St: 7 / 46
Iowa: 4 / 34
Iowa St: 1 / 9

There really isn't much pattern here. It would be nice to see what the penalties were in these games.

Remove the outlier of penalties in the MSU game and they decreased from the 1st half to the 2nd half, 7 vs 4.7, keep the MSU outlier and they still decreased from 7 to 6, if I remember my calculations. Texas Tech was one of the most penalized teams in the nation 118 of 120 teams, I guess Leach will be a non-starter for Doogie as a coaching replacement, oh wait...

Leach's positives outweigh his negatives on the field ... I have no idea what kind of person he is to deal with, but the guy can coach, penalties included.

Leach's positives outweigh his negatives on the field ... I have no idea what kind of person he is to deal with, but the guy can coach, penalties included.

A better and even more pertinent question may be where would the money come to hire him? Boosters came up with a LOT of money for TCF and despite denials, probably wrote some checks to the General Fund to help pay-off Mason.

Can and would they come up with a couple of million more for Leach?

I hope this hire Leach is just a joke; the man may be able to coach, but how he treats players seems to be very questionable as more and more info comes out on this topic.

Fair comeback since I write the same thing a lot. I'll research it in a second, but 10 bowl games in 10 seasons in Lubbock, Texas is saying a lot. I'll also assume that he finished very high nationally in total offense in multiple years.

I hope this hire Leach is just a joke; the man may be able to coach, but how he treats players seems to be very questionable as more and more info comes out on this topic.

The other "elephant in the room" for Leach is the one that Wacker and Brewster faced: getting Texas players to play for TCU or Texas is a LOT easier then getting them to head-up to a not-so-successful program located in the "frozen tundra". :(

A better and even more pertinent question may be where would the money come to hire him? Boosters came up with a LOT of money for TCF and despite denials, probably wrote some checks to the General Fund to help pay-off Mason.

Can and would they come up with a couple of million more for Leach?

Ice,
The real question is: is is just our perception that Leach can coach? Is that just has valuable as the perception around the nation that Brewster / Mason could.

I remember hearing time and time again that Mason was doing an outstanding job and was doing a tremendous job at Minnesota.

The next question is why are penalties a topic that is brought up a bunch when dealing with Brewster? We have reports that schools like Florida and Texas have high penalties. Inaddition why are penalties for Leach so easily dismissed considering that the reason Leach was fired had to do with treatment of players. Aren't penalties a reflection of a coach... or maybe not when you use dots...

Ice,
The real question is our perception that Leach can coach just has valuable as the perception around the nation that Brewster / Mason could.

I remember hearing time and time again that Mason was doing an outstanding job and was doing a tremendous job at Minnesota.

The next question is why are penalties a topic that is brought up a bunch when dealing with Brewster, but when reports are linked that schools like Florida and Texas have high penalties, in addition why are penalties for Leach so easily dismissed considering that the reason Leach was fired had to do with treatment of players. Aren't penalties a reflection of a coach... or maybe not when you use dots...

Both good points. I remember after the Michigan State game there was a list of the most penalized teams in College Football and how most of the them were very successful. Boy did THAT list tick people off around here!!

The earlier post in this thread containing the Gopher games and number of penalties therein did show how the outcome of those games probably couldn't be correlated.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised about that.:eek:

I always thought penalties was a reflection of talent. Just like when you played ball and the older guy always stepped on your foot during a rebound, or would pull on your shirt when you were cutting to the lane. I generally came to the conclusion that our penalties were a reflection of the lack of talent we had and in most cases people were trying too hard to out play the person in front of them.

Arguing with Doogie is like arguing with your mother-in-law.

Sorry it took me a few hours.
Leach: He is one of only a few coaches to never have a LOSING season.
3 wins in the last 5 years vs. Okla, including 41-13 this season. A perfect 10 for 10 against Baylor, 7 for 10 against Texas A&M and 6 for 10 against Oklahoma State.
9-win seasons in 2002, 2005, and 2007 and an 11-win season in 2008 ... TT LED the nation in passing four straight years ... all-time best coach in TT postseason history.

Will search some more.

Sorry it took me a few hours.
Leach: He is one of only a few coaches to never have a LOSING season.
3 wins in the last 5 years vs. Okla, including 41-13 this season. A perfect 10 for 10 against Baylor, 7 for 10 against Texas A&M and 6 for 10 against Oklahoma State.
9-win seasons in 2002, 2005, and 2007 and an 11-win season in 2008 ... TT LED the nation in passing four straight years ... all-time best coach in TT postseason history.

Will search some more.

Where will the money come from to pay him and why should he have the same success recruiting Texas kids to the Cities the way he got them to Lubbock?

Conversely, didn't Bobby Knight have quite the track record before he went to TT? How did recruiting work out for him getting kids to go down there?

All valid questions that I really have no answer for (I know, shocking) ... heck, he might be in the mix for the Raiders job, and this would be a lost idea ... his agent, if this means anything, does live here, so Gary could at least sell him on the positives of living and working here ... Leach will almost assuredly coach again, and coach again in a BCS conference, but maybe he ends up staying in the Big 12 somehow ... maybe Colorado?

Top Bottom