Brewster on the Sports Huddle

Great news on the staff....our stability lately has been terrible. Another year of Davis and FIsch will hopefully produce better results.

Gray and Alipate will hopefully easily beat out Weber for the starting QB job.

Can't wait to see our D this fall.

Thanks for the excellent update.

GM

Ok, if it's a deficit in talent let's use Rivals rankings to look at Iowa and Minnesota's defensive recruits. We can agree that it's not perfect, but since most of our young defensive guys haven't seen significant playing time (and neither of us are allowed into practice for any significant time), it's all we've got.

I'm looking at Iowa's defensive recruits from 2006 to 2008 and Minnesota's defensive recruits (those who qualified and are still on the team) from 2008 to 2009. This should appropriately capture Iowa's move from 45 in 2006 to 12 in 2007 (and their success in subsequent years) while also providing some idea about whether our talent provides us with the capacity to make such a move. The number to the right of the year represents the average Rival's rating for all defensive recruits.

Iowa
2006: 5.39
2007: 5.51
2008: 5.31

Minnesota
2008: 5.55
2009: 5.67

This suggests our talent will be sufficient to improve on a year-over-year basis. Whether we'll match the success Iowa has had is anyone's guess, but the talent as judged by Rivals suggests there's reason for optimism. It's not a perfect methodology, but it's the best we've got.

Alternatively, we could rely on your method of pure conjecture.

You had me for a bit, but now have lost me. Rivals ratings mean little because many coaches call Rivals evaluators (see Barry Every) and influence how he and others rank players.
Better indicator, if going down this road, is to pull up a player's offer list.

In scoring defense, Iowa went from 45th in 2006 to 12th in 2007. They were 5th in 2008 and 9th this year.

The Gophers were ranked 51 this year, which is not significantly different from where Iowa was before their jump. But there's little chance of the Gophers making the jump, right?

Your biases are fun.

I am not saying it cannot be done but I also would not assume that it will be done simply because some other programs did it. If you look at Cosgrove's history as a defensive coordinator, his defenses have not traditionally been able to maintain an elite level. He has had a couple of good years but also some really bad years so he has definitely not been able to maintain a consistently elite level defense. Here are where his defenses have ranked in scoring defense for the last 10 years. I think looking at coaches previous track record and a ten year sample size may be a fairly good estimation of what the guys defenses can consistently do, imo

1999---5th in scoring defense in NCAA (Minnesota 8th this year)
2000---34th in scoring defense in NCAA (Minnesota 60th this year)
2001---81st in scoring defense in NCAA (Minnesota 73rd this year)
2002---38th in scoring defense in NCAA (Minnesota 47th this year)
2003---50th in scoring defense in NCAA (Minnesota 35th this year)
2004---71st in scoring defense in NCAA (Minnesota 39th this year)
2005---25th in scoring defense in NCAA (Minnesota 80th this year)
2006---24th in scoring defense in NCAA (Minnesota 86th this year)
2007---114th in scoring defense in NCAA (Minnesota 109th this year)
2008---Cosgrove did not coach (Minnesota ranked 61st this year)
2009--- 51st in scoring defense in NCAA

Based on these stats his defenses would average a national ranking of 49.3 in scoring defense for his last 10 defenses. If you throw out the outliers(1999 and 2007) then his defenses would be ranked 46.75 in NCAA in scoring defense. FYI... The Gopher averaged a scoring defense ranking of 59.8 during the 1999-2008 timeframe.

You had me for a bit, but now have lost me. Rivals ratings mean little because many coaches call Rivals evaluators (see Barry Every) and influence how he and others rank players.
Better indicator, if going down this road, is to pull up a player's offer list.

Ok, so do that then. I'm hard pressed to think of a single instance in which you've produced any supporting information for your statements on here. You don't name sources, pull facts or anything of the like.

Aren't you supposed to be a journalist or something? I'm an effing banker and I do more research into my opinions than you do. I'm not trying to be a di*k, but it gets a little silly when you insist others back up their claims while doing nothing to substantiate your own.

In sports, are there really any true "journalists" ? I have said many times, and will repeat, that I get paid, albeit at the time not much, to mostly give my opinions, whether it used to be on KFAN, or at times on AM 1500 or CH 9, or on a few websites. I back up plenty of my takes...you went down the Rivals road, not me, so no reason in that regard to pull up every players' offer list.
Never said you didn't put effort into your takes ... heck, you're one of the better thought-out posters on here ... just was challenging you on your defensive assertions.
Hard to constantly name sources. When I posted the Wynn information yesterday, had the Tempe police spokesperson on the record, so when applicable, will always cite on the record sources.

If Brewster is comparing him to Suh I think we are all in for a real treat next year and beyond watching Hageman.

The same Brewster that hyped Harold Howell as one of the most dynamic players he had ever seen? Curtis Thomas, David Pittman, Hayo Carpenter....all players Brew compared to football gods.

re:

How much did we lose to Iowa in 2008? and 2009?

How much did we get beat in the Insight bowl in 2008? in 2009?

Wow, holy vacuum batman. We gave up 55 to an Iowa team who featured a 1st team RB who was an AA and is in the NFL this season. His backup looked great last year, but is out this year, so Iowa was left with 2 injured FR RB's. The one who played most this year, was in high school last year. The QB who ripped us up last year, was also out this year, leaving a FR to make his third career start vs MN. All this = is there any doubt why they scored fewer points this season????? You look at this as progress?????? We still scored 0 against their healthy D.

FWIW, Iowa State '09 is no Kansas '08.

You are pretty desparate for 'progress.'

re:

Some of his comments:

All of his coaching staff will return for the 2010 season.

Favors an early signing period and a playoff for the football champion in Division I.
His early signing period would be in late May or early June and the second signing period would be in February. Too many players switch their commitments.

Spoke highly of Hageman: presently 6-6, 290 pounds.

The tougher schedule enhances their recruiting efforts (recruits responding favorably to the improved schedule), especially next year's home schedule with the likes of Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa and USC. Nine of the 12 opponents in 2010 were in bowls this year.

Said Moses Alipate will be in the mix for quarterback next season. He's presently 6-4 and 240 plus. Has a strong arm.

Couldn't mention names, but naturally was excited with the current recruiting class.

Was also excited about this year's redshirts and mentioned the offensive lineman that are redshirts.

Those were of some of the highlights or comments.

Go Gophers!!

His 'staff' has regressed to the point that none of them have the option of leaving, not even the "greatest OL coach in the history of CFB."

And on a sidenote...instead of talking about what we need to improve, why not write something as to what 2010 is going to look like.

I have the headline.. Brewster fired, About time. After winning 4 games, and losing their last 8 games the Brewster era finally comes to and end. The last straw was watching the hawkeyes tear down our goalposts and carry them out of TCF stadium.

Those who see them don't need them pointed out, and those that ask to have them pointed out aren't likely to be satisfied that what is laid out is truely a miracle or in this case an improvement.

So just like Brewster all you do is talk, and do not show us anything else.

Call me crazy but I'll believe 6'6" 290 when I see it. You guys realize that 99% of NFL DEs aren't 290, even at 6'6", right?

Sounds more like hype than reality. I'm not talking about Hageman's SKILL, just the reported weight.

Wow, holy vacuum batman. We gave up 55 to an Iowa team who featured a 1st team RB who was an AA and is in the NFL this season. His backup looked great last year, but is out this year, so Iowa was left with 2 injured FR RB's. The one who played most this year, was in high school last year. The QB who ripped us up last year, was also out this year, leaving a FR to make his third career start vs MN. All this = is there any doubt why they scored fewer points this season????? You look at this as progress?????? We still scored 0 against their healthy D.

FWIW, Iowa State '09 is no Kansas '08.

You are pretty desparate for 'progress.'

If you watched both last and this year's Iowa games you would have noticed that we did play better this year. All the other excuses you gave are just that. Brewster also passed up 2 gimme field goals to try for TDs because the game was in reach. IIRC, last year, we didn't have a chance at a field goal.

Isn't is (bleep) CLOWNS, not CLOWN (bleeps)? ... Media is not allowed access to practice for more than a few minutes, so impossible to pass along thoughts on Hageman, Garin, Olson, etc.
What they need to do to improve? Corners closer to the line of scrimmage, safeties not so far back, find a way to develop someone capable of getting to the QB on a consistent basis, finding a capable RB, something they haven't done in three-plus recruiting classes (Lipscomb doesn't count because there was never a good chance of him getting into school), developing O-linemen, and solving the QB quandary, which might have to entail going to even more of a "Spread" look with Gray getting the snaps, which we saw at times this year.

Doogie, fess up. What has Brewster done to you? You take the negative side of every argument. Now you are trying to X and O the team for us? WHAT IS YOUR FOOTBALL BACKGROUND DOOGIE?

By definition that would make him a parasite. Perfect summation of journalism today. Sean Hannity and Daily Kos > Woodward and Bernstein. A proud profession indeed.

I don't know how many times this needs to be clarified for people. There is a difference between journalists and opinion writers. The Daily Kos, Sean Hannity, Rush, Glenn Beck, Keith Olberman are all OPINION writers/talkers. They make no pretensions of being "balanced" or "fair." Where people have legitimate arguments is when journalists, who ARE supposed to be fair and balanced, let their opinions creep into their writing. I'm biting my tongue not to get political and issue my diatribe on this subject.

Here's an honest question, is Doogie employed here as a journalist or opinion writer? If his job is to give his opinions, he has no obligation to be fair or balanced.

I don't know how many times this needs to be clarified for people. There is a difference between journalists and opinion writers. The Daily Kos, Sean Hannity, Rush, Glenn Beck, Keith Olberman are all OPINION writers/talkers. They make no pretensions of being "balanced" or "fair." Where people have legitimate arguments is when journalists, who ARE supposed to be fair and balanced, let their opinions creep into their writing. I'm biting my tongue not to get political and issue my diatribe on this subject.

Here's an honest question, is Doogie employed here as a journalist or opinion writer? If his job is to give his opinions, he has no obligation to be fair or balanced.

Everyone has an obligation to be fair.

Everyone has an obligation to be fair.

What the hell does this even mean? 'Fair' is open to interpretation. Yours is not the same as someone else's.

If someone thinks that Brewster sucks, they have no obligation whatsoever so state the alternate case. Its an opinion.

Doogie, fess up. What has Brewster done to you? You take the negative side of every argument. Now you are trying to X and O the team for us? WHAT IS YOUR FOOTBALL BACKGROUND DOOGIE?

minngg -- I have deferred to lakesgopher and others when it comes to the hardcore X and O's. Brewster has been nothing but nice to me in our few personal encounters. He has joined me in studio at CH 9 and on KFAN a few times. Was always easy to track down. Have always appreciated that.

Here, while much more on a volunteer basis, is all about opinion. Nadine and others encourage me to voice my views, with hopefully sufficient evidence to back said thoughts up.

Here, while much more on a volunteer basis, is all about opinion. Nadine and others encourage me to voice my views, with hopefully sufficient evidence to back said thoughts up.

As it should be, thanks. This is not a newspaper, it's a fan forum board.

re

If you watched both last and this year's Iowa games you would have noticed that we did play better this year. All the other excuses you gave are just that. Brewster also passed up 2 gimme field goals to try for TDs because the game was in reach. IIRC, last year, we didn't have a chance at a field goal.

Would those be like the "gimme field goals" we saw Thursday night?

Chris (assuming this is you) -- You know I greatly respect your opinions, especially with the unique insight you have ... on Hageman, say that he has done a great job in practice one-on-one vs. the O-linemen and has made strides in the weight room, which he did say, but to bring his name up in the same sentence as Suh is not necessary.

Yes it's me (Chris from Brooklyn Park), You guys in the media go over the top or say and exagerate things you really don't mean (I certainly hope you don't mean it) for the sake of ratings and readership every day, yet you say Brewster can't hype his program and players?

Doogie, what you see with Coach Brewster, that's who he is. He's just being himself. It would be nice if the media spent more time covering the program and its players than bashing the man for his enthusiasim. KFAN, so called fans and other members of the media do more than an adequate job being negative about the program if Brewster doesn't hype the program and its players who will?

As to using Suh to describe Hageman, it is not uncommon to use well known players to describe a player. During the game Mike Mayock, in my opinon the best evaluator in the business said that Alexander Robinson reminded him of Reggie Bush at USC. I don't believe he was comparing his ability but just saying he had those type of skills that reminded him of Bush.

By the way I miss you on KFAN, do you have gig lined up where I can support you?:cool02:

Yes it's me (Chris from Brooklyn Park), You guys in the media go over the top or say and exagerate things you really don't mean (I certainly hope you don't mean it) for the sake of ratings and readership every day, yet you say Brewster can't hype his program and players?

Doogie, what you see with Coach Brewster, that's who he is. He's just being himself. It would be nice if the media spent more time covering the program and its players than bashing the man for his enthusiasim. KFAN, so called fans and other members of the media do more than an adequate job being negative about the program if Brewster doesn't hype the program and its players who will?
As to using Suh to describe Hageman, it is not uncommon to use well known players to describe a player. During the game Mike Mayock, in my opinon the best evaluator in the business said that Alexander Robinson reminded him of Reggie Bush at USC. I don't believe he was comparing his ability but just saying he had those type of skills that reminded him of Bush.

By the way I miss you on KFAN, do you have gig lined up where I can support you?:cool02:
A BoZo who can't accept reality and deals in 1/4 & 1/2 truths?

He is not hypeing anything, he is alienating.

Brewster was on the air for 30 minutes

Is there a writer, sports talker or anyone in this dam state that has media access that could actually comment on players, future players, what the team needs to do to improve

ANYTHING OTHER THAN ONE COMMENT BREWSTER MADE ON HIS SHOW........which was meaningless anyway

can anyone of you clowns.........doogie, KFAN trash, souhan, anyone...can you ever write anything or talk about any of the players, or what brewster should do, or what you would do different

you people just bore the schit out of me with the same stuff OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER

i dont even know what reporting is anymore......THE GOPHERS HAVE NOT BEEN GOOD YOU CLOWN AZZEZ.........you dont need to report on that for the 3000th time, I GET IT!......brewster says some postive stuff........i dont need you to rip it for the 3000th time, I GET IT

try a different angle just one dam time in 2010

on and happy new year everyone!

+100

I get sick and tired of the "sports media" in this town making it all about themselves and not trying to give us good insight about the teams/players. I know that controversy and negativity gets the headlines and attention, but you guys need to be more positive. Take the time to give us stories about what the team is working on, who the recruits are, etc..

Doogie, I don't really care if you think 6 wins, 4 wins or even 2 wins is a successful season. If I want to hear that junk I will just talk to the few guys at work who don't even care if the Gophers have a team!!! A lot of people pick on Sid, but one think he did was get into the programs and gave interesting insight on the team. You can call him a homer, but fans are homers and we would rather have that then having our team picked apart and criticized all the time!!!!!

Think about it, the only people who closely follow the team are the people who want to see them succeed. Yes, you have a influx of complaints during bad games/times, but all of "US" truly want the Gophers to have a good team. The ones who don't aren't watching or reading the sports articles.

Thanks. I missed the memo that the 2008 Hawkeye team that played in the Outback Bowl was better than the 2009 version that is playing in the Orange Bowl.

Who can rush the passer? Who strikes fear in the secondary? Who will adequately replace Campbell? It has to do with talent. I'll defer to the high school coaches on this board (lakesgopher) on scheme issues, although the soft coverage the corners play I know bothers many, as does having 1 safety 20 yards away from the line of scrimmage.

Your turn now ... why are you convinced that we will potentially see vast improvement?

Bias alert...

As usual it will be media outside the Twin Cities to tell local sports fans and media what's going on locally. I guess we will have to wait until the spring publications come out and they start picking preseason players based on what they accomplished the 2009 season.

Maybe you didn't follow the gophers this year or understand exactly what K & K was asked to do but outside of Kurt Coleman and Sash Tyler they had very difficult responsibilties compared to other safties in the conference and fullfilled them at a high level.

My point? We have two of the best safties in the conference and it will be pointed out by media members outside of the TC. Once that happens only then will local media pick up on it.

FYI: If you notice the gophers don't substitute CB's for LB's (nickle) in passing situations, ie 3rd down or multiple receiver sets. We use our FS as the 3rd corner. When you do that it's best to play the SS a little deep since he has over the top help for the whole field instead of half. Same thing applies to the corners because one of them will not have over the top help (it depends on which side the SS gives help too).

My point? 2010 starters (front seven) while green will have different skills and could potentially reduce responsibility of secondary members freeing them up to make more plays (ints).

doogie just cant see the improvement the gophers have made and the promise for a better future because he can only go off the experience he has had in his career.

Doogie and the rest of the media while not perfect seem to serve as a pretty important outlet for you guys to vent your misdirected frustration at. Keep flaming away I guess.

Would those be like the "gimme field goals" we saw Thursday night?

There was just one gimme field goal, and as you're obviously referring to, was missed. That will happen. To me a gimme is something that is made most of the time. Some people refer to them as automatic, but they all can be missed. In Thursday's game is was either a bad snap or reception by the holder that caused the ball to be kicked lower than usual.

But back to the original point, the Gophers could very well have easily scored 2 field goals. You can say that Brewster should have gone for the first one to put points on the board, and that would have been a fair assessment. But quipping back like you did provides nothing to the discussion at hand.

Top Bottom