Brewster on the Sports Huddle

I am a realist and can't buy into...

This about sums it all up. If you really look at the state of journalism (and I use the term very lightly) today this is par for the course. In many ways its an indictment on our educational system. Somewhere along the line journalists have begun to take the cowards way out. This is a safe and cushy position for them. This statement provides excellent insight into the mindset of todays journalists in general, but particularily sports journalists. Look at the commercially successful people in that line of business today. It is the loud, the obnoxious, the outrageous. No different than Hollywood and the entertainment business. The very nature of the business today rewards not those who provide insight or education, but those who yell loudest and can provide the most cynicism. Any lazy person can do this job today if they simply sell out their morals and integrity. The formula is very simple... make outrageous statements/comments or take a consistently negative opinion knowing that if you are right (which is generally a 50/50 proposition) you can scream louder and spew forth more cynicism anbd if you are wrong you can simply ignore it knowing no one will call you on it, the media protects its own very well against outsiders despite the cut-throat internal competition. A friend of mine uses the term scumbag journalism and I find it very appropriate. Get nitpicky about verbiage or some minor comment and tries to create your own story (screaming loudest and cynically). Journalisms present contributions to society are essentially worthless, and equally bad, all too predictable.

Doogie, he made it simple enough by saying the team (as in total team) showed improvement. You made it complicated by focusing on one part of the team. Brewster was right in his statement, even if the improvement this year wasn't as good as last year.

Exactly. Brew made a general quote and then Doogie, thinking we all really care about his opinion, put his own negative spin on it.

If Hageman could've helped us win a single more game this year he would've been on the field. Let's keep some perspective here.

I don't exactly get or agree with this statement. Yes some true freshman play and may even start. However let's look at Michael Vick at Virginia Tech. Correct me if I'm wrong but he redshirted his freshman year even though the coaches thought he could help his freshman year.

He only turned out getting invited to the Heisman presentation the year after his redshirt year. So forgive me if I hold out some excitement for the redshirt freshmen on this team. (Note: I'm not saying any of the redshirts will be 3rd in the Heisman voting next year.)

If Brewster is comparing him to Suh I think we are all in for a real treat next year and beyond watching Hageman.

Doogie's comment is typical for 'journalists' and the media in this town. Taking Brews comments about the team improving year to year and then inserts his own words and throws out what Brew actually said.

This offense has not been horrible the whole season fella. 3 games. 3 F'N GAMES!!!!!
Pull the pillow over your head as much as you want Doogie, but get some perspective. Losing Decker hurt....plain and simple. Our defense was just as good as our offense was bad.

I'm tired of the negativity from these arm chair journalists. Souhan is giving Childress a free ride in the paper but yet the Vikings offense went 4 quarters without an offensive touchdown. Where is the anti-chilly article like he gave Brew? Souhan's ariticle today took the cake by blaming PLAYING ON NATURAL GRASS for the Vikings troubles!!!! Oh and let's not forget that the Vikings have only defeated 3 teams with winning records this year but get all the pats on the back (while the Gophers get zilch for playing the toughest schedule in the Big Ten).
Sure this isn't about the Vikings but I'm pointing out how hypocritical people like Souhan are.

Other highlights: Brewster said "Our team has improved each year." ... if you count being one of the seven worst FBS offenses (120 teams total) as improvement, so be it.
And on Hageman, he said he could have a Suh-like impact ... that would make him a Heisman candidate ... I say let's wait and see him take a snap at DE first. He is a heck of an athlete, but we've never seen him take a college snap at DE ... why not just say that he looks the part in practice, but gameday performance is a mystery.

This year WAS an improvement over last year, despite the woeful offense. This is reflected in the quality of our wins, which is indicated by the improved Sagarin rating mentioned in an earlier post. Also, in 2008, the combined record of the teams we beat was 38 - 48, while in 2009, the combined record of the teams we beat was 39 - 36. Furthermore, our nonconference victories in 2008 were against an FCS team, two MAC teams, and a Sun Belt team, while in 2009 we beat an FCS team, a Big East team, and a Mountain West team (including a loss to a Pac-10 opponent).

Also, even though our offense was very bad this season (most of the time), it was encouraging to see comeback victories. This is something we are not accustomed to as Gopher fans. The thing that concerns me the most is how our team fades towards the end of the season. Hopefully this will change in the future, and hopefully we will continue to improve next season.

I am a realist and can't buy into the improvement take. Going 39 straight off. possessions w/o a TD and finishing the year with no off. TDs in 20 of 28 quarters doesn't equal improvement to me. He should've said we made strides in two of the three areas. Would've been simple enough ... and on defense, we could debate. Roof got those guys, whether lucky or not, to force turnovers.

Doogie is right, get off his back. Hard to argue with the facts, but like most of you and Brewster talk is more valuable than anything else. If any of the the redshirts could have helped us win any games this year they would have played. Just look at the redshirts we wasted. Brewster is all talk, untill i see anything on the field to back it up i will never believe a word he has to say

Did I see somewhere were all our wins this year were come from behind victory's?

Other highlights: Brewster said "Our team has improved each year." ... if you count being one of the seven worst FBS offenses (120 teams total) as improvement, so be it.
And on Hageman, he said he could have a Suh-like impact ... that would make him a Heisman candidate ... I say let's wait and see him take a snap at DE first. He is a heck of an athlete, but we've never seen him take a college snap at DE ... why not just say that he looks the part in practice, but gameday performance is a mystery.

Doogie, come on man! You may not like the team but the simple fact is they have improved from Brewsters first season, especially when you take into account the improvement in the strength of schedule.

As too Hageman, if he was to use the logic (wait until Doogie has seen it) he would not be able to speak about anything, for example.

Media: Coach is the team ready to play for Saturdays game against the Badgers?

Coach: I can't comment Doogie was not at practice this week and hasn't seen the team, sorry.

In all seriousness, you can't comment like you did in earlier posts that media budget restraints inhibits the media from covering the team and then say the coach should not comment on the developement of a player because you haven't seen it.

Maybe you should give him a script that way he will know what he should say?

You still my dude:cool02:

If Brewster is comparing him to Suh I think we are all in for a real treat next year and beyond watching Hageman.

The only problem is we do not have Pelini running our defense. Kevin Cosgrove had the real Suh for two years and couldn't do anything with him.

Doogie is right, get off his back. Hard to argue with the facts, but like most of you and Brewster talk is more valuable than anything else. If any of the the redshirts could have helped us win any games this year they would have played. Just look at the redshirts we wasted. Brewster is all talk, untill i see anything on the field to back it up i will never believe a word he has to say

Not sure what you mean here. To my knowledge, the only true freshman that played this year were Allen, Gray, and Carter. Meaning there were 15-18 redshirts that were not "wasted."

The only problem is we do not have Pelini running our defense. Kevin Cosgrove had the real Suh for two years and couldn't do anything with him.

I'm sure the two years of Suh's development had nothing to do with it. By all accounts, he was a physically developed, mature, and had as keen an understanding of the game as a sophomore that he did this year.

Brewster definitely has been more bark than bite, so I won't waste my time supporting that. If you can't see that, you're 'sofa king we toad head'.

As for improvement? Well, let's see what Sagarin says:

2004: 76.07 - 38th
2005: 81.04 - 27th
2006: 75.13 - 48th

2007: 57.72 - 123rd
2008: 68.46 - 75th
2009: 70.90 - 64th

Yes, he's improving, but he's still not caught up with where Mason left off.

I guess I don't know which redshirt you're talking about that Brewster wasted. As for Hageman forgive me if I don't think he's garbage just because he redshirted this year. As I posted above there have been redshirts that have came in and dominated their position the next year.

I do agree that people need to get off of Doogie's back. While I think he's overreacting about Brewster's statement, he makes his living off of people like Brewster and I appreciate how he backs up many of his statements with statistics. (Note: I don't always agree with his statements and statistics ie. turnovers on defense last year when we played better teams this year imo.)

Finally I'm sorry you feel Brewster is all talk and won't believe a word he has to say. I personally enjoy the way he sells the program and remains positive because it's been negative around this program for too long. But you are right he still hasn't won a trinket game yet haha.

I'm sure the two years of Suh's development had nothing to do with it. By all accounts, he was a physically developed, mature, and had as keen an understanding of the game as a sophomore that he did this year.

Your right good coaching can develop that and he received better coaching his last two years.

If Hageman could've helped us win a single more game this year he would've been on the field. Let's keep some perspective here.

Wrong. He was switching positions and needed to bulk up, he could be Jared Allen and he would not have seen the field. Another win or two in a meaningless season is not worth wasting a players year of eligibility when we have bigger goals in years ahead.

Wrong. He was switching positions and needed to bulk up, he could be Jared Allen and he would not have seen the field. Another win or two in a meaningless season is not worth wasting a players year of eligibility when we have bigger goals in years ahead.

:confused:

Your right good coaching can develop that and he received better coaching his last two years.
You don't think that in general a player is better as a senior than he was as a sophomore? Between you and doogie there is lots of intellectual dishonesty going on in this thread.

Reusse = Souhan = Doogie

I pay none of them any mind...

Gee, it's really too bad Nebraska could not afford a defensive line coach to where first the DC and then the HC had to coach the defensive linemen.

Doogie, come on man! You may not like the team but the simple fact is they have improved from Brewsters first season, especially when you take into account the improvement in the strength of schedule.

As too Hageman, if he was to use the logic (wait until Doogie has seen it) he would not be able to speak about anything, for example.

Media: Coach is the team ready to play for Saturdays game against the Badgers?

Coach: I can't comment Doogie was not at practice this week and hasn't seen the team, sorry.

In all seriousness, you can't comment like you did in earlier posts that media budget restraints inhibits the media from covering the team and then say the coach should not comment on the developement of a player because you haven't seen it.

Maybe you should give him a script that way he will know what he should say?

You still my dude:cool02:

Chris (assuming this is you) -- You know I greatly respect your opinions, especially with the unique insight you have ... on Hageman, say that he has done a great job in practice one-on-one vs. the O-linemen and has made strides in the weight room, which he did say, but to bring his name up in the same sentence as Suh is not necessary.

Just thought I'd add that I'm excited to hear that Coach Brewster plans on having the all of the coaching staff to return. I really think that the stability will do nothing but help the team next year. Let the team try and fine tune the plays they're now familiar with.

Brewster was on the air for 30 minutes

Is there a writer, sports talker or anyone in this dam state that has media access that could actually comment on players, future players, what the team needs to do to improve

ANYTHING OTHER THAN ONE COMMENT BREWSTER MADE ON HIS SHOW........which was meaningless anyway

can anyone of you clowns.........doogie, KFAN trash, souhan, anyone...can you ever write anything or talk about any of the players, or what brewster should do, or what you would do different

you people just bore the schit out of me with the same stuff OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER

i dont even know what reporting is anymore......THE GOPHERS HAVE NOT BEEN GOOD YOU CLOWN AZZEZ.........you dont need to report on that for the 3000th time, I GET IT!......brewster says some postive stuff........i dont need you to rip it for the 3000th time, I GET IT

try a different angle just one dam time in 2010

on and happy new year everyone!

You don't think that in general a player is better as a senior than he was as a sophomore? Between you and doogie there is lots of intellectual dishonesty going on in this thread.

Sure thing but do you think it might have more to do with one coach having had signficantly more success with his defenses than the other and having more of a history of developing his defenses and getting them to perform at the highest levels. Hint: it is the guy that took the other guys 114th ranked scoring defense and in 2 years turned it into the number 1 scoring defense in the country. Those successes aren't just based on the players progressing from freshmen to seniors.

Isn't is (bleep) CLOWNS, not CLOWN (bleeps)? ... Media is not allowed access to practice for more than a few minutes, so impossible to pass along thoughts on Hageman, Garin, Olson, etc.
What they need to do to improve? Corners closer to the line of scrimmage, safeties not so far back, find a way to develop someone capable of getting to the QB on a consistent basis, finding a capable RB, something they haven't done in three-plus recruiting classes (Lipscomb doesn't count because there was never a good chance of him getting into school), developing O-linemen, and solving the QB quandary, which might have to entail going to even more of a "Spread" look with Gray getting the snaps, which we saw at times this year.

Gee, it's really too bad Nebraska could not afford a defensive line coach to where first the DC and then the HC had to coach the defensive linemen.

I would love to respond to you if I could understand your point?

I am a realist and can't buy into the improvement take. Going 39 straight off. possessions w/o a TD and finishing the year with no off. TDs in 20 of 28 quarters doesn't equal improvement to me. He should've said we made strides in two of the three areas. Would've been simple enough ... and on defense, we could debate. Roof got those guys, whether lucky or not, to force turnovers.

People who use the phrase "i'm a realist" typically don't have reality on their side, so here we go again with you. You keep regurgitating the same nonsense over and over again with a complete disregard for reality. So here we go again, try and take mental note so that people don't have to continuiously correct you on this subject.

"Roof got those guys, whether lucky or not, to force turnovers" - - You are right. Ted Roof was able to get those guys to force 1 more TO in Big 10 play than last season. What a drastic drop off? So are you insinuating that it is a big drop off to force 1 less TO in an 8 game stretch, or you were just another one of those "realists" ignorant of reality?

Kevin Cosgrove's defense forced 16 TO's in Big 10 play (2/game) and 4 in the Bowl game.

Isn't is (bleep) CLOWNS, not CLOWN (bleeps)? ... Media is not allowed access to practice for more than a few minutes, so impossible to pass along thoughts on Hageman, Garin, Olson, etc.
What they need to do to improve? Corners closer to the line of scrimmage, safeties not so far back, find a way to develop someone capable of getting to the QB on a consistent basis, finding a capable RB, something they haven't done in three-plus recruiting classes (Lipscomb doesn't count because there was never a good chance of him getting into school), developing O-linemen, and solving the QB quandary, which might have to entail going to even more of a "Spread" look with Gray getting the snaps, which we saw at times this year.

Are you serious about the comments regarding the safties and corners playing closer to the line of scrimmage? I hope you realize that it goes a little deeper in a playbook than just moving a corner up to the line of scrimmage. That was an armchair quarterback comment if I've ever heard one.

And as far as our running backs go...THEY ARE ALL SOPHOMORES AND FRESHMEN for crying out loud. Bennett would be our back if he didn't blow out a knee. I think they deserve a few more years before we call them incapable. See, right there, how can you not analyze and realize that all our running backs are young? Plus, besides Wisconsin what Big Ten team had a running game this year?

And on a sidenote...instead of talking about what we need to improve, why not write something as to what 2010 is going to look like.

Top Bottom