Brew's visit with Seantrel

This year we've beaten out Baylor, Kansas St, Kansas, Nebraska, SMU, Col St, Memphis, Iowa, Wisconsin, C Fla, Arizona, Arizona St, Arkansas, Cal, Colorado, TCU, Utah, Mich St, Mizzou, UCLA, BYU, Oregon, Pitt, Rutgers, Cincy, Purdue & Louisville for recruits. Those are teams we rarely competed against for recruits in the past 20 years. That's progress in my opinion.

Floyd is not a good example since Brew got in the game so late that he never had a chance. Losing McNeal on the other hand bothered me more than losing Floyd or Mobley because Brew had a chance to work on McNeal.

Is Brew expected to bring in Henderson this year? Not really. The fact is we're competing against USC, OSU & Notre Dame for him. Considering where we're currently at that seems unrealistic. That should be the goal though and it is. If he can pull it off with SH they should build a statue of him in front of TCF and I'll write a folk song about him.

I'm more concerned with the quality players that traditionally would have left the state but who I think we now have a chance with like Sam Maresh, Jimmy Gjere, Lamonte Edwards and Beau Allen.

How about Ra'sheed Hageman, seems like there was a big fuss over whether we would get him last yr. He seems happy, same could happen with SH.

So you think every top program should sign the #1 in-state recruit every year? Here are a few examples from last year. Where did the #1 ranked recruit in Iowa sign? Not Iowa (he went to MSU). Where did the #1 recruit in Florida sign? Everyone would assume Florida or FSU, right? Nope, he signed with Alabama. How about the #1 recruit in Ohio? He must have signed with tOSU, right? Nope, he signed with Michigan. Finally, where did the top 2 recuits from Tennessee sign? Not with the Vols. They both signed with Georgia. Bottom line is that the top player in each state signs with their in-state school no more than 50% of the time and even the top schools like Florida, tOSU, and Tennessee have a hard time keeping all of their guys in-state. To think a school located in a cold midwestern state with no recent history of success and much less fan support should sign all of their top in-state players every year is absolutely ludicrous. Brew is doing a good job recruiting and if he can make the next step on the field I think we'll see another step up in recruiting too.

...I was just pointing out that the big-time Texas schools didn't show interest apparently directly to the other poster's point.

Not disputing the point...but if Texas offers a kid from Texas, he's going to Texas.

Not disputing the point...but if Texas offers a kid from Texas, he's going to Texas.

Last year's top recruit in Texas, Russell Shepard, signed with LSU. It took me all of 2 minutes to confirm this fact before I posted it. Here's some more Texas disloyalty for you:

2009. Russell Shepard to LSU
2008. R.J. Washington to Okalahoma
2007. Ryan Mallett to Michigan
2006. Sergio Kindle to Texas
2005. Martellus Bennett to Texas A&M
2004. Adrian Peterson to Oklahoma
2003. Tony Hills Jr. to Texas

So 28.5% (2/7) number one recruits in Texas went to Texas. That's keeping them at home.

My understanding of recruiting is better than your reading comprehension, that's all I can glean from your less than witty response.

Dillusional is thinking I expect kids to jump at the chance of playing at Minnesota under Brewster when they can pick and chose among the elite schools. Expecting a super recruiter to actually land the top guy in the state (Michael Floyd) at a huge need position for your program (WR) I know is a huge stretch. If he's so great at getting kids to come play for him (Not Minnesota :rolleyes:) I am disappointed that we didn't land him. Does that mean it's a failure? No. In fact we got most of the kids we wanted in Minnesota, but he might have helped a little this year.

Does it mean we didn't land the top kid? Yup, and that shouldn't be "no big deal." Brewster was hired to make that happen. That doesn't mean Brewster failed overall which seems to be the illogical conclusion to my thoughts. It just means it could have been better and to speed the process of the 15 year plan we appear to be on to take a step forward from where we were 3 years ago.

So your point is that a top recruit would help out? Gee golly, where do I sign up to receive your newsletter? I'm very interested in learning more from a genius such as yourself.

Last year's top recruit in Texas, Russell Shepard, signed with LSU. It took me all of 2 minutes to confirm this fact before I posted it. Here's some more Texas disloyalty for you:

2009. Russell Shepard to LSU
2008. R.J. Washington to Okalahoma
2007. Ryan Mallett to Michigan
2006. Sergio Kindle to Texas
2005. Martellus Bennett to Texas A&M
2004. Adrian Peterson to Oklahoma
2003. Tony Hills Jr. to Texas

So 28.5% (2/7) number one recruits in Texas went to Texas. That's keeping them at home.

For a vast majority of the case, Texas does keep who they offer at home. The #1 recruit in the state is obviously another story. But what Texas does that does benefit them, is they don't seem to make false promises.

Russell Shepard was offered, but as an athlete, which means they'd figure out if he could play QB but things might not work out (see Garrett Gilbert).

RJ Washington believed what OU told him and thought he'd walk in and immediately get playing time. Texas wasn't going to promise him that. You earn your spot. RJ Washington still has not made an impact on playing time at OU.

Ryan Mallett was offered but he wanted to wait around. Then John Brantley (currently at Florida) wanted to commit to Texas (and did), so Texas told Mallett to drop a deuce or get off the pot. In retrospect, Brantley decommited and it would have been nice to still have Mallett in play, but it wasn't to be.

Martlellus Bennett played around with Texas and ended up playing at A&M where his brother had been offered the year before. Texas was never going to offer his brother, so that worked out well for A&M.

Adrian Peterson went to OU because he said he wanted to win a National Championship, and didn't think he could do so at Texas. Funny how that worked out for him, or didn't.

But the overall point remains the same: If a program like Texas can't keep the top in-state recruit at home when they have a great college city, favorable weather, a shot at the national championship year in and year out, then it is absolutely, certifiably, insane to think that Minnesota should be able to keep the top in-state recruit each year whether it's Brewster or Mack Brown or whoever doing the recruiting.

I really hope that Brewster does land Henderson. IMO Minnesota needs help along the line and in the backfield in the worst way. I really want to see Minnesota do well, but I'm also realistic about expectations. If Henderson goes elsewhere and some posters criticize Brewster because of that, then everyone else will know who is not worth paying attention to on this board.

Just doing some quick research on Rivals, for every top recruit that decides to play in their home state, there are 2 that cross the borders. Doesn't matter if it's a place like LSU, Tenn, or Ohio State, where you're the unquestioned top team in the state, or Alabama, South Carolina or Florida. The majority of top recruits don't play in the state they came from. Wiscy's done a great job keeping kids at home, but they're not the norm. Va Tech couldn't keep Percy Harvin, LSU couldn't keep Joe McKnight, makes me have no faith that Brewster can snare Henderson. I hope I'm wrong on this one, I felt a lot better before I dug deeper into this.

So, it appears that SH made a visit to SoCal today. How much of an impact does witnessing the Trojans lose to Arizona have on his decision and opinion of USC? I submit that the loss when viewed simply in the win-loss column has no impact. But by not being able to take part in any post-game win festivities / experiences, perhaps it was not as positive of a visit as it could have been. Here's hoping.

I would think that the melt downs at USC and ND have to help us against those teams. I hope that SH would be loyal enough to his home team to at least avoid Ohio State.

Sears Trophy For Recruiting

I love the best statement anyone can make for Brewster are his Rivals Recruiting Rankings. I was checking on the internet to see when they hand out the Sears Trophy for Recruiting and couldn't find it. Also - tomorrow night after the BCS Selection Show for the Bowls will there be a separate one for the guys with high recruiting rankings? Didn't think so. Haven't ever heard a coach say "Yeah, we have a pretty terrible recruiting class" because they all say they have good ones. You find out when they get on the field and whether your coach can get the talent out of them. None of us know who will be good or who will be bad, but Brew has been so good a developing talent that not he has had 1 of his guys (Traye Simmons in 2008 - second team) make a 1st or second All-Big Ten team in his 3 years here and this year he had one guy on the team total on either a first or second team in Decker. But I am confident he will load up the 2010 All-Big Ten Team with his collection of 4 stars he has brought in.

I really like Curtis Thomas and Harold Howell's chances to shine next year after all we heard about them. And Marquis has been so good we have to be the favorites for the Big Ten title next year.

High Recruiting Rankings and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee if you can't get anything out of them.

I love the best statement anyone can make for Brewster are his Rivals Recruiting Rankings. I was checking on the internet to see when they hand out the Sears Trophy for Recruiting and couldn't find it. Also - tomorrow night after the BCS Selection Show for the Bowls will there be a separate one for the guys with high recruiting rankings? Didn't think so. Haven't ever heard a coach say "Yeah, we have a pretty terrible recruiting class" because they all say they have good ones. You find out when they get on the field and whether your coach can get the talent out of them. None of us know who will be good or who will be bad, but Brew has been so good a developing talent that not he has had 1 of his guys (Traye Simmons in 2008 - second team) make a 1st or second All-Big Ten team in his 3 years here and this year he had one guy on the team total on either a first or second team in Decker. But I am confident he will load up the 2010 All-Big Ten Team with his collection of 4 stars he has brought in.

I really like Curtis Thomas and Harold Howell's chances to shine next year after all we heard about them. And Marquis has been so good we have to be the favorites for the Big Ten title next year.

High Recruiting Rankings and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee if you can't get anything out of them.

Terrible post. Harold Howell and Curtis Thomas were recruited after all other teams already had their players committed. Brewster wasn't hired until very late in the process so any post seriously indicating that those were Brewster top recruits is crazy. Facts are facts in recruiting. Mason never beat Iowa and Wisky in recruiting his 10 years here. He rarely finished above them in the standings. The last two recruiting seasons Brewster has done this. There is a direct correlation between talent and wins. Deal with it.

Ok, ok, ok...

So with all this recruiting talk--- What do we actually know about Brewster's visit with Seantrel?

Dad says it went well, Brewster woke the kid up the next morning, Brew stressed being the hometown hero if he stays.

Do we actually have a shot in hell of getting Henderson to the U next year or what? He's not just a huge talent, it'd be a giant land symbolically and could have an impact on homegrown talent for years to come.

So what do we actually know?

Not necessarily. Look at Illinois. I hope we don't become them.

Direct correlation does not mean every time. Do you think there is no direct correlation? If so, say so. You don't like going to the Rose Bowl? Illinois was there two years ago. Did you forget?

Direct correlation does not mean every time. Do you think there is no direct correlation? If so, say so. You don't like going to the Rose Bowl? Illinois was there two years ago. Did you forget?

You made what came across as a blanket statement of fact so I commented on it. Doesn't always work that way.

Top Bottom