Brew's visit with Seantrel

You know, you can be a real condescending prick sometimes.

But so can I. And when you're right, you're right! :clap:

All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason.

I cannot believe how little insight people have in recruiting. In the last 10 years, how many years has MN out-recruited Iowa or Wisconsin? Either one? The answer, I believe is two. The years are 2008 and 2009. We are likely to out recruit Wi and maybe Iowa (doubtful) again this year. Second, how many recruits from MN have we lost to Iowa or Wisconsin since Brewster came aboard? Answer? One. Kelly and that is because he committed and went to visit Wisconsin. How many recruits did the state of MN lose to our neighbors before Brewster was here? Bottom line, only a super-recruiter could bring a program with 40 years without a Big Ten title classes like he has. Just imagine if he was recruiting for Iowa or Wisconsin?

You can knock Brewster for many things, but recruiting isn't one of them.

I cannot believe how little insight people have in recruiting. In the last 10 years, how many years has MN out-recruited Iowa or Wisconsin? Either one? The answer, I believe is two. The years are 2008 and 2009. We are likely to out recruit Wi and maybe Iowa (doubtful) again this year. Second, how many recruits from MN have we lost to Iowa or Wisconsin since Brewster came aboard? Answer? One. Kelly and that is because he committed and went to visit Wisconsin. How many recruits did the state of MN lose to our neighbors before Brewster was here? Bottom line, only a super-recruiter could bring a program with 40 years without a Big Ten title classes like he has. Just imagine if he was recruiting for Iowa or Wisconsin?

We actually lost Schafer and Dehn to Wisconsin as well. But your point is well taken - 3 MN recruits to Wisconsin, and 0 to Iowa since Brewster was hired. Three in 3 years is pretty damn good. Hell, we'd routinely lose that many on an annual basis when Mason was here.

Seantrel is an EXPLOSIVE playmaker!!!

Let's ride.

The most important person in this has not been

Quoted or approached about the recruiting. Certainly Sean relishes his time in the spot light and and is always available. But when it comes to most recruiting it comes down to Mom's comfort with the Coach who will take over raising her son. I have posted this before, how many times have you seen an athlete wave to the camera and say, Hi Mom! I think Mrs. Henderson or Seantrel's Mom will be key in where he goes. I have seen her in the stands cheering for him, and assume it would be easier on the family to have him stay at home, or at least play very close to home. Seantrel could go anywhere, but I don't see him as a grass is greener guy. :)

"Minnesota's our home school," Sean said. "Coach Brewster has been following Seantrel since he was a freshman and actually was the first coach to offer him a scholarship. So we'll always have a lot of respect for coach Brewster and the Gophers' program."

Nearly word for word what Harrison Barnes (#1 rated basketball recruit) stated in his selection news conference...right before he chose North Carolina.

"Minnesota's our home school," Sean said. "Coach Brewster has been following Seantrel since he was a freshman and actually was the first coach to offer him a scholarship. So we'll always have a lot of respect for coach Brewster and the Gophers' program."

Nearly word for word what Harrison Barnes (#1 rated basketball recruit) stated in his selection news conference...right before he chose North Carolina.

Yeah, the "We'll always have a lot of respect" thing sounds like something you would say to the runner-up. But definitely some encouraging things in the rest of the article. Landing Seantrel would be huge for this team.

No doubt.
I really, really hope wherever Seantrel goes, HE makes the decision, not his father, not his mother, not his coaches, not his girlfreind. I have a really dirty feeling every time I hear a quote from his dad, may be completely off and over the line, but I just hear a hint of selling his sons services to the highest bidder, that's not what should happen.

This is one of my frustrations. Brew was brought here and tabbed as a "Super Recruiter" by everybody and his brother from Maturi to Lemming to Mack Brown, not as an average recruiter. We are giving him credit for trying?!? "Well he really tried hard to get Seantrel so that is all you can ask." Just because he made a home visit? That is what we get from our so called Super Recruiter? All coaches make home visits. Good grief. If he is as good of a recruiter as we heard upon his arrival in 07 he needs to land the big-time kids in the home state. That was why we all were so excited about his hire. I gave him a pass on Floyd cause it was late in the game when he got here, but good grief, what is he hanging his hat on, Sam Maresh? Anybody can lose home state kids, but a super recruiter keeps them. I am already not impressed with him as a coach, so he sure as hell needs to start impressing me as a recuiter. Giving him a pass on kids that don't stay here because he tried hard is ridiculous.

In state recruiting aside, what do these out of state players mention when they commit to us? Like the area? nope, Good school? nope, excellent program? nope, friendly media and fan base? hmmm. From what I have read THE reason they are coming here, the reason they picked us over another school is Brew, because to be honest we have nothing to offer exclusively over any other school besides a brand new stadium which according to people who know say will have a hard time filling up next year. Why would an outstate kid wanna come here unless this was his only real offer, or he just really liked the coach? For gods sake people please stop eating up all the crap the Gopherhating media is feeding you. If I were the AD I would give Brew a nice new contract right now.

If he is as good of a recruiter as we heard upon his arrival in 07 he needs to land the big-time kids in the home state. That was why we all were so excited about his hire. I gave him a pass on Floyd cause it was late in the game when he got here, but good grief, what is he hanging his hat on, Sam Maresh? Anybody can lose home state kids, but a super recruiter keeps them.

He signed five of the top six kids in the state last year.

He signed five of the top six kids in the state last year.

"not good enough" says all the little gonads who listen to K-Fan and then come here to regurgitate the bullsh@! they heard from people who "know"

I hate gopher football fans

What is really lame about anybody who bashes Brewsters instate recruiting is that these people have no idea what good in state recruiting looks like. Try comparing this program to others in the Big Ten and get an idea of where we really stand. People just like to bitch. They usually are comparing the team and players against some mythical gold standard that is rarely ever approached. When forced to look at the reality, and compare against any kind of a norm their bitch fest rarely holds water.

I call bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

Brewster certainly has been a better recruiter than we've had in a while. That being said, being better than the previous coach who is bashed all to hell on this sight for how terrible a recruiter he was isn't exactly earning super recruiter status.

A super recruiter will land Henderson. A super recruiter would have landed Floyd.

Brewster has been an upgrade as a recruiter but barring a surprise, this class will end up in the upper 30s. My expectation has been since he was brought in to land us a top 25 class in year 3. If he doesn't this year, our class will be better, but he will not be living up to the reason he was hired.

So, yeah, he's been better, but he has not been super.

I think you are over estimating the power of a recruiter. This isn't 1962. you can't lie and say whatever you want and get away with it. People do their own fact checking, and other recruiters will blast you right out of the competition with false promises. You sell yourself, the program and the academics. But sometimes no matter how good a salesman you are, the customer just doesn't like your product or you. Otherwise if what you are saying is true, the best recruiter in the nation would have all the five stars. And the reality couldn't be further from that.

Floyd was predestined to ND. Brewster wasn't changing that. SH, has his own agenda. We may, or may not mesh with that. The better recruiter, might not be the winner.

What is really lame about anybody who bashes Brewsters instate recruiting is that these people have no idea what good in state recruiting looks like. Try comparing this program to others in the Big Ten and get an idea of where we really stand. People just like to bitch. They usually are comparing the team and players against some mythical gold standard that is rarely ever approached. When forced to look at the reality, and compare against any kind of a norm their bitch fest rarely holds water.

Name one school that isn't trying to keep the only 5 star player in the state at home.

Name one school that doesn't lose top in state recruits.

It happens, but the expectation needs to be that Brewster is more than better than the last guy and I'm not happy with a move from rankings in the mid 50s to low sixties to the upper 30s when the reason we hired this guy was his "super recruiting" ability.

It is certainly better recruiting, but we could have gotten this kind of recruiting with some coaching ability vs. putting all of our eggs into recruiting and not being able to deliver top 25 classes and suffer through the coaching we've "enjoyed" as Brewster tries to learn how to be a coach.

Brewster certainly has been a better recruiter than we've had in a while. That being said, being better than the previous coach who is bashed all to hell on this sight for how terrible a recruiter he was isn't exactly earning super recruiter status.

A super recruiter will land Henderson. A super recruiter would have landed Floyd.

Brewster has been an upgrade as a recruiter but barring a surprise, this class will end up in the upper 30s. My expectation has been since he was brought in to land us a top 25 class in year 3. If he doesn't this year, our class will be better, but he will not be living up to the reason he was hired.

He is working with an average (at best)program right now, imagine how his recruiting would be if he had anything to back up what he's saying! Seriously, he is getting kids to come in here because they like Brew, and they believe him when he says we are going to do big things soon. Now imagine the kind pf player he will be able to bring in when we actually start doing big things? Nothin but up baby, nothin but up.

Would a super recruiter convince one of his other coaches to reinstate Royce White?

A good recruiter can only out recruit his current school sangarin position by so far. Your expectations are unreasonable. When we are a top twenty team, then you can expect top ten recruiting classes. Until then, you'll just have to be unhappy.

While you were quibbling over semantics, I did a little research.

(Using the Rivals team recruiting rankings and the power ratings from jhowell.net)

2007 final power rating: 112 2008 recruiting ranking: 17 (+95)

2008 final power rating: 62 2009 recruiting ranking: 39 (+23)

2009 power rating (thus far): 64 2010 recruiting ranking (thus far): 34 (+30)

In other words, he's recruited over his "standing" by 95, 23, and 30 spots respectively. Find me one other coach who has not only gone so far above his "lot in life," but done it consistently. Go ahead. I triple-dog-dare ya.

(Using the Rivals team recruiting rankings and the power ratings from jhowell.net)

In other words, he's recruited over his "standing" by 95, 23, and 30 spots respectively. Find me one other coach who has not only gone so far above his "lot in life," but done it consistently. Go ahead. I triple-dog-dare ya.

aaaannnnd boom goes the dynamite. Thank you sir.

Sad thing on your research is how good would his recruiting have been in years 2 & 3 had he not gone 1-11 his first year?

Name one school that isn't trying to keep the only 5 star player in the state at home.

Name one school that doesn't lose top in state recruits.

It happens, but the expectation needs to be that Brewster is more than better than the last guy and I'm not happy with a move from rankings in the mid 50s to low sixties to the upper 30s when the reason we hired this guy was his "super recruiting" ability.

It is certainly better recruiting, but we could have gotten this kind of recruiting with some coaching ability vs. putting all of our eggs into recruiting and not being able to deliver top 25 classes and suffer through the coaching we've "enjoyed" as Brewster tries to learn how to be a coach.

Exactly. The only way to overcome the poor coaching ability of this staff is with vastly superior athletes. It's nice to see classes in the 30's instead of the 50's, but that's nowhere near enough of an improvement to overcome the horiffic drop-off in coaching ability. So you end up with what we have. A net wash, but one that, at least to me, is a lot harder to watch. I guess I'd rather watch average atheletes who are well-coached, then superior atheletes who are not.

Truthfully, our best chance for success may be once Brewster is fired and we get a real coach to teach the superior brand of athletes he was able to recruit.

A good recruiter can only out recruit his current school sangarin position by so far. Your expectations are unreasonable. When we are a top twenty team, then you can expect top ten recruiting classes. Until then, you'll just have to be unhappy.

So we can only beat teams we have better talent than, but we can't get better talent than them because we can only over recruit so much.

I guess we're on a 10 year arc until we can be competitive with tOSU and PSU and 15 year arc until we can beat them?

Recruiting is better, but Brewster is far from a god in recruiting. We should always be disappointed we didn't land the big recruits, not understanding.

Quick question before I answer ya, how do we adjust the standing for his inability to coach? He'll always out recruit his ranking based on his on field "performance".

Also, this is not that hard.......

So we can only beat teams we have better talent than, but we can't get better talent than them because we can only over recruit so much.

I guess we're on a 10 year arc until we can be competitive with tOSU and PSU and 15 year arc until we can beat them?

Recruiting is better, but Brewster is far from a god in recruiting. We should always be disappointed we didn't land the big recruits, not understanding.

that's pretty much how it works. So yes we are in that time frame. It's the sad reality of the uphill battle to establish yourself. I've never actually heard anyone who thought we'd be at the top ten level year in and year out any sooner though. So I don't think this is news. I think most are hoping for the Iowa, Wiscy level soon. That is the next step, and that is the level Brewster is recruiting at or just above. When that talent is firmly in place, and we reach that level, hopefully we can continue the journey and not get stuck there, although it would be a welcomed improvement.

Yup, just like your boy Mason did, right?

Dude, Mason was fired 3+ years ago and he should have. This isn't about the previous coach, it's about Brewster. If you're only going to compare Brewster to Mason, you've set your sights too low.

So, here we go:

2006 final power rating: 20 2007 Final recruiting ranking: 8 (+13)
2007 Final power rating: 92 2008 Final recruiting ranking: 3 (+89)
2008 Final power rating: 54 2009 Final Recruiting ranking: 21 (+33)

So how'd that work our for you Mr. Weiss.

What I'd love to see is the flip side approach, actually coach the recruits:

2006 final power rating: 34 2007 Final recruiting ranking: 89 (-55)
2007 Final power rating: 13 2008 Final recruiting ranking: 67 (-54)
2008 Final power rating: 18 2009 Final Recruiting ranking: 60 (-42)

Ah yes, Mr. Brian Kelly of the Cincinnati Bearcats, come on down.

Tell both of these gentleman that coaching has nothing to do with it, and rivals recruiting rankings are where the rubber really hits the road.

And another meaningless use of random stats goes ***Boom!***

thanks for playing.

Exactly. The only way to overcome the poor coaching ability of this staff is with vastly superior athletes. It's nice to see classes in the 30's instead of the 50's, but that's nowhere near enough of an improvement to overcome the horiffic drop-off in coaching ability. So you end up with what we have. A net wash, but one that, at least to me, is a lot harder to watch. I guess I'd rather watch average atheletes who are well-coached, then superior atheletes who are not.

Truthfully, our best chance for success may be once Brewster is fired and we get a real coach to teach the superior brand of athletes he was able to recruit.

Exactly!!

It was so much easier to watch Mason's teams. I remember taunting the Michigan players behind their bench in 2003 that we were going to take their jug. It got pretty intense for awhile, when we were up by three TDs in the 4th quarter. That was easy.

Then there was the time I was in Madison visiting friends and watching the Gopher/Badger game on State Street. I was riling up the crowd in epic fashion. Then the punter flubbed the snap and, instead of running out of the end zone, kicked it right into the rushing Badger defenders. Then they scored a TD to win the game. That was easy too.

Yep, those were the days easy-watching football.

Dude, Mason was fired 3+ years ago and he should have. This isn't about the previous coach, it's about Brewster. If you're only going to compare Brewster to Mason, you've set your sights too low.

Actually, he wasn't, but whatever.

And the main reason I brought up Mason is because you say Brewster is "always going to outrecruit his on-field performance" like it's some meaningless statistic. Without even doing any research, I guarantee you that is something Mason accomplished rarely, if ever. So we need look no further than our current coach's predecessor to see that it is, in fact, not an easy thing to do.

I also brought up Mason because you constantly wash his balls on this site.

If this was true, Brew would be coaching David Gilreath of Wisconsin and Greg Jones of MSU. Players don't like turnover in their staff...sometimes they think that when he's fired that this isn't their best opportunity to succeed at the college level and they jump ship. The fact that brewster brought in better players than other former coaches makes me think that at least a handful of them came here because of Brew, not just the national power that is Minnesota football.

Top Bottom