Brew hot on two more JR's!

We go from a 1 win team to a 7 win team. With some mistakes yes, but you should be looking for improvement in your team and I know we seem to be having trouble with our math tonite but that is marked imrovement in 2 years. With our schedule this year we MAY not win 8 or more games but you should be looking for a much more athletic and competitive all around team. If not, then we can start questioning the coach.

I agree that Brewster is still learning on the job and he probably should have either moved into a coordinator's position at a big school or received a head coaching position at a smaller school - that is the way it is usually done.

As a Gopher fan, all we can do is support him and hopefully he can find the right recruits as well as coaching staff that will help him win at the Big Ten level. I would say at least on paper that next year the freshmen and sophomores will be our two best classes so you have to give him time. I think he has made some mistakes, especially regarding his choices for his coordinator position and both of them are already gone. I think scheduling USC was a mistake - we simply aren't ready for them yet and all you do is schedule two probable losses where we won't be able to win. Hopefully we don't get blown out or get a lot of people hurt. I had no problem with Washington St. and they should have left them on the schedule. Oh well....Brewster can deal with that when the time comes.

I am still unconvinced that he can coach. Compare that to a guy like Tubby Smith when even after a loss we are confident he will get it back together. That is because he is a good coach and knows how to get it done. I think everyone agrees that Brewster can recruit, but can he lead the team to a Rose Bowl??? I think he should probably worry more about just getting an offense that can move the ball against Big Ten teams first.
Let's just support him as long as he is here.......and after he is gone we will support the next coach just as much as we did him. We were here before he got here and we will be here a lot longer after he leaves someday, too. (Unless he becomes the next Joe Paterno and coaches for the next 50 years!) LOL

Brew was never promoted huh?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

2007-Current- Head Coach Gophers
2005-2006- Tight Ends, Broncos
2002-2004 - Assistant Head Coach - Tight Ends, Chargers (promotion)
2002-2003 - Tight Ends, Chargers (promotion)
1999-2001 - Tight Ends, University of Texas (went with Mack Brown)
1989-97 - Tight Ends, University of North Carolina (promotion)
1988 - Volunteer Assistant, University of North Carolina (promotion)
1987-88 - Head Coach, Central Catholic High School, Lafayette, Indiana

Your right, never been promoted! C'mon man!!
Kiffin may have been respected by his players but ask every single one of the current gophers if they respect Brew before you can use that defense.

All I see is position coach to position coach just a different locale, no coordinator or head coach experience . so if you are a garbage man in st. paul and then become a garbage man in chicago that is a promotion huh?

All I see is position coach to position coach just a different locale, no coordinator or head coach experience . so if you are a garbage man in st. paul and then become a garbage man in chicago that is a promotion huh?

ugh...college to NFL isn't a promotion? Assistant head coach?? I think something in TX has made you ignorant.

Not sure how the garbage industry works, but for the hotel industry the answer to your question would be yes. As you move through hotel management a move from a smaller city to a bigger city even in the same position IS a promotion and you are paid accordingly. Then when move a position you go to a smaller city once again and work your way up in that position. I would compare Coaching to that industry.

Not sure how the garbage industry works, but for the hotel industry the answer to your question would be yes. As you move through hotel management a move from a smaller city to a bigger city even in the same position IS a promotion and you are paid accordingly. Then when move a position you go to a smaller city once again and work your way up in that position. I would compare Coaching to that industry.

This is awesome! Thanks for the help teaching the troll.

ugh...college to NFL isn't a promotion? Assistant head coach?? I think something in TX has made you ignorant.

that is open to debate as the NFL is not necessarily considered by all to be a promotion, if that was the case every college coach would want to go to the NFL and there seems to me going in the opposite direction of late. I am still waiting to hear why his good friend Mack Brown never promoted him if he was such a great coach. Brewster has even stated that he left Texas because he felt career wise he could go no further there, I.e. after 14 years figured it out that Mack was never going to promote him. Also why is it that in 17 years never got another coordinator job. Lane Kiffin was still studying for his junior high math exam when Brewster started as an assistant and still has surpassed this guy.

that is funny, I have a hotel maid trying to talk to me about the business world.

that is open to debate as the NFL is not necessarily considered by all to be a promotion, if that was the case every college coach would want to go to the NFL and there seems to me going in the opposite direction of late. I am still waiting to hear why his good friend Mack Brown never promoted him if he was such a great coach. Brewster has even stated that he left Texas because he felt career wise he could go no further there, I.e. after 14 years figured it out that Mack was never going to promote him. Also why is it that in 17 years never got another coordinator job. Lane Kiffin was still studying for his junior high math exam when Brewster started as an assistant and still has surpassed this guy.

Have you ever thought that there may be a coach already with the job that is a really good coach? Or someone else becomes open. Oh I forgot to point out that Brew is the guy who helped turn Antonio Gates into the player he now is. Must be a bad coach.

I think I'm starting to figure out what your deal is GG...Your a Longhorn fan from San Antonio and you really miss coach Brew and you're pissed that Mack Brown never promoted him and lost him to a lesser job in the NFL :)

Have you ever thought that there may be a coach already with the job that is a really good coach? Or someone else becomes open. Oh I forgot to point out that Brew is the guy who helped turn Antonio Gates into the player he now is. Must be a bad coach.

big difference between being a position coach and working with a few players and being responsible for putting a whole gameplan together and hiring a staff. if they are equal then why does ever college coaching staff consist of ga, position coach, coordinatorsM hc in increasing order of responsibility. I guess then if brewster leaves we should hire that really great ga on staff for HC as he would be ready.

big difference between being a position coach and working with a few players and being responsible for putting a whole gameplan together and hiring a staff. if they are equal then why does ever college coaching staff consist of ga, position coach, coordinatorsM hc in increasing order of responsibility. I guess then if brewster leaves we should hire that really great ga on staff for HC as he would be ready.

First you say he's a good recruiter that can't coach, now you say he can coach a few guys but can't run a team. Get outta hear. Comparing a college GA to an assistant HC in the NFL??? Great point...we are all not worthy to you.

that is funny, I have a hotel maid trying to talk to me about the business world.

Is this really the best you could come back with? Call me disappointed!

I said MANAGEMENT and not many maids are part of management. If you must know I was speaking of a chef, who became an assistant restaurant manager, who became a restaurant manager, who became an assistant hotel manager, who became a hotel manager after moving around the country about 14 times in 20 years to get where they are today. It's called hard work! That is what I see in Brewster.

Among the many reasons Brew's critics annoy me is the simple fact that he is a tirelessly hard worker. He is having to plow recruiting ground going up a pretty steep hill and he has been relentless about it. Instead of appreciating his deligence to make things happen at the UofM, his critics (Ruesse, sid's kid, ect.) look for every opportunity to slime him, especially by saying he is nothing but hype.

If he was nothing but hype, why does he work so hard?

This is an excellent post.

First you say he's a good recruiter that can't coach, now you say he can coach a few guys but can't run a team. Get outta hear. Comparing a college GA to an assistant HC in the NFL??? Great point...we are all not worthy to you.

He has not shown he can be a head coach yet which that is what he is being evaluated on here at MN because that is his job here, not TE coach. you are the trying to make show a correlation between being a good TE coach and then being qualified to be a good HC. You are so right though, you figured me out I am a longhorn fan who is sad he left, after all look how the UT program has declined since he left, what will they do in Austin without him. He was the key to that program.

He has not shown he can be a head coach yet which that is what he is being evaluated on here at MN because that is his job here, not TE coach. you are the trying to make show a correlation between being a good TE coach and then being qualified to be a good HC. You are so right though, you figured me out I am a longhorn fan who is sad he left, after all look how the UT program has declined since he left, what will they do in Austin without him. He was the key to that program.

Yeah it was a joke, just like all your other posts :cool:

FiveStar I love your signature BTW. I will stop feeding GG now and get back to the BB game, I promise.

GO GOPHERS!!!!!!

Thanks bud! I had to change it for him. Yeah way to good of a game to be wasting it with that troll. GO GOPHERS!

Thanks bud! I had to change it for him. Yeah way to good of a game to be wasting it with that troll. GO GOPHERS!

Oh look you made a friend how cute. If you have figured me out as you think and believe I am a troll, please tell me which school I am a troll from. Cannot do it can you, sorry I graduated from the U.

maybe the U had the program you were interested in and realized that having a degree from here meant a little something. you, i dont think, are a true fan

maybe the U had the program you were interested in and realized that having a degree from here meant a little something. you, i dont think, are a true fan

You are free to think what you want as am I, I just don't think that I have to have maroon and gold sunglasses on to be a "true fan." I will not apologize for having larger expectations for the football program than I believe this coach can deliver.

Head Coaching is soooooooooo overrated. A Head Coach needs to get good players, sell the program, and be the face of the University. If you think Joe Pa or Bobby Bowden are "coaching" on game days you are sadly mistaken. Players win games. Phil Jackson is no genius, he had Jordan and Pippen, then Shaq and Kobe. Phil Jackson had great players and managed personalities but you gotta believe in practice he rolled a ball out to MJ and called it a day.

Head Coaching is soooooooooo overrated. A Head Coach needs to get good players, sell the program, and be the face of the University. If you think Joe Pa or Bobby Bowden are "coaching" on game days you are sadly mistaken. Players win games. Phil Jackson is no genius, he had Jordan and Pippen, then Shaq and Kobe. Phil Jackson had great players and managed personalities but you gotta believe in practice he rolled a ball out to MJ and called it a day.

Basketball and football are totally different sports. A head coach also needs to hire a good staff who can develop the talent once it gets there because in football the assistants are much more actively involved during the games in making adjustments as well as developing the gameplan. I do agree that Joe Pa and Bobby Bowden are not "coaching" much anymore on gamedays, however what they have done is put together a staff of highly effective assistants.(i.e. Jimbo Fischer and Tom Bradley).

way to highjack another thread with your anti brewster agenda...

Wait till pellini or kiffin do something at much easier places to win at before saying they would have been such better choices...which is of course impossible to prove anyways.

Wait till pellini or kiffin do something at much easier places to win at before saying they would have been such better choices...which is of course impossible to prove anyways.

Sure thing, Pelini in his first year only took over a team that did not go to a bowl game the previous year, cleaned up Cosgrove and Callahans mess and won nine games in a much tougher conference this year compared to the Big 10 and followed it up with a new years day bowl win against Clemson. This done with two walk-ons starting on defense every game and 4 walk-ons playing significant time. He definitely would have been a terrible choice with his background as a successful defensive coordinator at 3 major BCS programs(LSU, Nebraska, Oklahoma) and a national championship as well. Kiffin would have been a worse choice as well, what with his success as a Offensive Coordinator and recruiting director at USC and with his connections to other great recruiters such as Orgeron. Oh, and the fact that he comes as a package deal with one of the greatest defensive coordinators in the history of the NFL, that makes him a bad choice.

So how bout them jr's we are going after uh? haha. I love how fast these go off topic.

So how bout them jr's we are going after uh? haha. I love how fast these go off topic.

I apologize, simply got off topic when I was accused as being a mason lover because I stated that we shouldn't put to much stock in a jr committing so early.

I apologize, simply got off topic when I was accused as being a mason lover because I stated that we shouldn't put to much stock in a jr committing so early.

Once again GG, the thread has nothing to with any jr. committing. Check the thread again Mr. GopherGod.

Once again GG, the thread has nothing to with any jr. committing. Check the thread again Mr. GopherGod.

I am sorry I should have said us offering jr's hoping they commit. By the way thanks for putting me in your signature line, as they say there is no bad publicity and I appreciate your support.

Top Bottom