Brew hot on two more JR's!

FiveStarFan

Reaction score

Among the many reasons Brew's critics annoy me is the simple fact that he is a tirelessly hard worker. He is having to plow recruiting ground going up a pretty steep hill and he has been relentless about it. Instead of appreciating his deligence to make things happen at the UofM, his critics (Ruesse, sid's kid, ect.) look for every opportunity to slime him, especially by saying he is nothing but hype.

If he was nothing but hype, why does he work so hard?

Unrelentless is not a word, its a double negative. Either Relentless or Unrelenting. :)

Among the many reasons Brew's critics annoy me is the simple fact that he is a tirelessly hard worker. He is having to plow recruiting ground going up a pretty steep hill and he has been relentless about it. Instead of appreciating his deligence to make things happen at the UofM, his critics (Ruesse, sid's kid, ect.) look for every opportunity to slime him, especially by saying he is nothing but hype.

If he was nothing but hype, why does he work so hard?

Very true. What some people don't realize is when a coach or coaches (as we've had) neglect or fail to branch out in the recruiting grape vines it can impact recruiting for many years to come. How many kids did Mason get to commit a year early? Or even better yet, how many kids out of state had offers this early?

Very true. What some people don't realize is when a coach or coaches (as we've had) neglect or fail to branch out in the recruiting grape vines it can impact recruiting for many years to come. How many kids did Mason get to commit a year early? Or even better yet, how many kids out of state had offers this early?

I just don't get to excited when you have juniors and sophomores committing as many of them haven't even seen multiple universities yet and quite frankly a lot of them will change their commitment in the year or two years until they have to sign on the line. There are just so many things that can change a kids mind in that length of time.

I just don't get to excited when you have juniors and sophomores committing as many of them haven't even seen multiple universities yet and quite frankly a lot of them will change their commitment in the year or two years until they have to sign on the line. There are just so many things that can change a kids mind in that length of time.

So you would rather have a coach that waits until the last min to make a push for a kid? Goodluck with that. I will take my chances being the first or second team offering than being the last.

So you would rather have a coach that waits until the last min to make a push for a kid? Goodluck with that. I will take my chances being the first or second team offering than being the last.

Of course not, that is not what I said. I simply stated that I will not get to excited and hyped about a kid who commits this early, as with a lot of 16 and 17 year old kids they are prone to change their mind and be easily influenced. They are therefore far from a guarantee to honor that committment a year or two down the line.

The big point is that Brew is now reaching the point that he's able to put a full effort into a class. The 2010 class will be the first one where he's been able to do that. It may not increase the rankings but the kind of kids Brew wants will be identified early so that the eventual signees are all good fits. It'll also be the first one where we'll see the benefit of a good walk on program.

Of course that means 2012 before we see the full effect. People forget what a process building a program is and how long it really takes.

Of course not, that is not what I said. I simply stated that I will not get to excited and hyped about a kid who commits this early, as with a lot of 16 and 17 year old kids they are prone to change their mind and be easily influenced. They are therefore far from a guarantee to honor that committment a year or two down the line.

True enough, but it sure is refreshing to see a coach on top of the tecruiting battle rather than gathering up the twigs that fell by the wayside!

Of course kids change their mind. But, I posted this thread with info of two kids that are getting offers from us. Not really sure where your getting the commit hype? All I have said is that going into Brew's 3rd year it seems like he is really starting to work these kids right away. Which is nice. To give you an example, you look at any skilled o-lineman for 2010 and Alabama is listed with interest on everyone of them. I was never blowing up hype about these two kids. I personally have no more knowledege of these two kids than the info on the links I have provided. Fact of the matter, the 2009 class is pretty much done and should be by next wed. as that is NSD. We are starting to put together 2010's list of targets. If that doesn't make you excited then let me guess, your not a Brew fan and you prob want him out for being proactive. God I miss Glen Mason

The big point is that Brew is now reaching the point that he's able to put a full effort into a class. The 2010 class will be the first one where he's been able to do that. It may not increase the rankings but the kind of kids Brew wants will be identified early so that the eventual signees are all good fits. It'll also be the first one where we'll see the benefit of a good walk on program.

Of course that means 2012 before we see the full effect. People forget what a process building a program is and how long it really takes.

True enough, but it sure is refreshing to see a coach on top of the tecruiting battle rather than gathering up the twigs that fell by the wayside!

:D:D:D
Love both of these posts. Couldn't agree more.

Of course kids change their mind. But, I posted this thread with info of two kids that are getting offers from us. Not really sure where your getting the commit hype? All I have said is that going into Brew's 3rd year it seems like he is really starting to work these kids right away. Which is nice. To give you an example, you look at any skilled o-lineman for 2010 and Alabama is listed with interest on everyone of them. I was never blowing up hype about these two kids. I personally have no more knowledege of these two kids than the info on the links I have provided. Fact of the matter, the 2009 class is pretty much done and should be by next wed. as that is NSD. We are starting to put together 2010's list of targets. If that doesn't make you excited then let me guess, your not a Brew fan and you prob want him out for being proactive. God I miss Glen Mason

I don't miss Glen Mason, but I do sure miss Lane Kiffin and Bo Pelini, guys we could have had instead of a blowhard who was so incompetent that he couldn't find one coach to promote him in 17 years from a position coach to a coordinator. Luckily he found an equally incompetent A.D. to hire him as a head coach.

GG-Tommy Olsen (the Soph that just committed) is maroon through and through and will not waver from his commitment to the U. His dad was a Gopher, his brother's going to be a Gopher next year, and he'll be a Gopher in 2011. That being said, I didn't get too excited about his commitment either because I thought it was a given that he would be a Gopher.

As a whole, I definitely agree with you. We had the punter from Wisconsin (I think Nortmann was his name) commit early and then go to Wisconsin. We had Stephens commit early and then end up at Texas Tech. We even managed to get Sheldon Richardson to visit Minnesota after committing early to Missouri which showed the potential. You're definitely right.

However, I do like seeing offers out now because so often you hear players more strongly consider team that gave the first offer. Maybe it's a "first love" epidemic but it kept Colorado in until the end for Colorado and there have been a number of other times I read that this season. Teams can certainly make up lost ground if the recruits let them but I think it helps to be there early and often.

I don't miss Glen Mason, but I do sure miss Lane Kiffin and Bo Pelini, guys we could have had instead of a blowhard who was so incompetent that he couldn't find one coach to promote him in 17 years from a position coach to a coordinator. Luckily he found an equally incompetent A.D. to hire him as a head coach.

AH!!! There it is!:D
17 years?! Sorry everyone doesn't get things on silver platters or have great football coaches as dad's. We never needed you on our fan train. I'm sure you have a nice cushy seat on the bandwagon waiting for you.

Quit living in the past. We didn't hire those guy's. I know shocking new news.

AH!!! There it is!:D
17 years?! Sorry everyone doesn't get things on silver platters or have great football coaches as dad's. We never needed you on our fan train. I'm sure you have a nice cushy seat on the bandwagon waiting for you.

Bo Pelini's father was not a football coach, he sold pharmaceuticals and they grew up in the poor blue collar community of Youngstown, OH so no silver platter there. And yes Brewster was a position coach for that long. In regards to Lane Kiffin, yes his dad is a successful coach and that may get your foot in the door as a GA and maybe a position coach but in the big business and pressure cooker of football today you are probably not going to continue to be promoted multiple times at the high profile jobs he has been at if you are not qualified. When I see a guy in the same level of job for that length of time without getting promoted, I question their personal drive or competence. If he was the greatest thing since sliced bread as you try and make him to be then how do you explain him not getting promoted in that length of time.

Thank you for finally coming clean, no matter what Brewster does you do not like him. My question is, why do you blame Brewster for becoming coach of the Gophers. He applied and got the job, Maturi is the one who hired him, why shoot the messenger?

Face it people, a few on here will never like Brewster no matter what he does, he has one year to recruit his guys and people are already judging him.

To me a sign of a good leader is one who learns from his mistakes, then takes action to fix it. He made a hire that did not work(Dunbar),
but quickly made moves to fix the problem. What would have been worse, would to do nothing. We all know he can recruit, but can he coach? I will give him two more years with his guys before I make that decision, Gopher God already after one recruiting class has made his decision, but I think he made his decision at the time of the hire.

Thank you for finally coming clean, no matter what Brewster does you do not like him. My question is, why do you blame Brewster for becoming coach of the Gophers. He applied and got the job, Maturi is the one who hired him, why shoot the messenger?

Face it people, a few on here will never like Brewster no matter what he does, he has one year to recruit his guys and people are already judging him.

To me a sign of a good leader is one who learns from his mistakes, then takes action to fix it. He made a hire that did not work(Dunbar),
but quickly made moves to fix the problem. What would have been worse, would to do nothing. We all know he can recruit, but can he coach? I will give him two more years with his guys before I make that decision, Gopher God already after one recruiting class has made his decision, but I think he made his decision at the time of the hire.

I would like brewster if he didn't over promise and under deliver. Brewster created his own expectations by making unnecessary and outlandish statements(i.e. killer shot, howells, etc..). so he only has himself to blame for that. As stated before, his on the job training and poor judge of coaches for his system has cost the university and ultimately the program. The big ten is not a on the job training conference, that is what the MAC is for. He can learn on Bowling Greens dime and develop relationships with coaches who he knows match his style and vision and bring them along instead of doing this expensive and timely process of trial and error that he appears to be doing now with his assistants.

I would rather have a great recruiter and surround the coach with great asst. You can learn to coach, but you cannot learn to be a great salesman. Spurrier found that out when he went to the pro's, he did not have nearly the talent he did while in college. At florida he could out recruit everyone, talent wins in college football, coaching is second. We had a good coach in Mason, the problem is he could not recruit, but made do with what he had. I am ok with going with a recruiter first and coach second, time will tell, but in my eyes talent wins over coaching everytime.

I would rather have a great recruiter and surround the coach with great asst. You can learn to coach, but you cannot learn to be a great salesman. Spurrier found that out when he went to the pro's, he did not have nearly the talent he did while in college. At florida he could out recruit everyone, talent wins in college football, coaching is second. We had a good coach in Mason, the problem is he could not recruit, but made do with what he had. I am ok with going with a recruiter first and coach second, time will tell, but in my eyes talent wins over coaching everytime.

I do think you need talent to win, but I think you need a coach who can develop the talent as well and when you have and had candidates out there who have proved they can recruit AND coach, then why would you want a guy who has proved thus far in his career he can only do one of the two well? I will give him more time, but I am not impressed thus far and fear that he and maturi have put us in such a financial predicament that it may limit our options in the future especially what the cutbacks that are coming to the U. I will reiterate that I think Brewster is a good recruiter but I feel that is only 1 piece of the puzzle. I am also surprised and concerned that with all the years he has coached, he appears to have made few close connections with fellow coaches, atleast enough that they wanted to follow him here.

Bo Pelini's father was not a football coach, he sold pharmaceuticals and they grew up in the poor blue collar community of Youngstown, OH so no silver platter there. And yes Brewster was a position coach for that long. In regards to Lane Kiffin, yes his dad is a successful coach and that may get your foot in the door as a GA and maybe a position coach but in the big business and pressure cooker of football today you are probably not going to continue to be promoted multiple times at the high profile jobs he has been at if you are not qualified. When I see a guy in the same level of job for that length of time without getting promoted, I question their personal drive or competence. If he was the greatest thing since sliced bread as you try and make him to be then how do you explain him not getting promoted in that length of time.

First off, I may give you credit for knowing Pelini's family background but that's it! Have you even looked at his resume?!?! First coaching job was assistant in 1991, he became first-time head coach of Neb. in 2008...count the years douche. As for Kiffin...I personally think he will do a very good job at UT, but he has some of the deepest pockets to use to hire his coaching staff and your staff in college football means a lot. I wouldn't call getting canned in the NFL to coaching UT as a promotion (as you have decided) even though Al Davis is a morron. Fact of the matter he was a horrible NFL coach as the product he put on the field was laughable.

You're really going to question Brewster's drive?! :D I'm sorry but that opinion is so misfounded. Ask Mike Shanahan or Mack Brown about Brew's competence.(both have endorsed Brew 100%) Considering Brew was at the heart of Brown's recruiting for years I'm sure he wouldn't have good things to say. No one has said he is the best coach for the job, but we are not Notre Dame, USC, Florida etc. and we will never be, we can be like/better than schools like Oregon, Iowa, Wisc, Mizzou. Can his coaching improve? Yes I'm not doubting that, but I do know one thing...it's a lot easier to coach when you have player's and Brew is getting player's! If we are still in the same boat in two year's then yes it would be time to move on. I'm pretty confident that the team we put on the field in two year's will be something to be proud of.

As for Maturi, hard to judge a man who brought us Tubby Smith and brought our athletic program out of $31 million in debt.

I do think you need talent to win, but I think you need a coach who can develop the talent as well and when you have and had candidates out there who have proved they can recruit AND coach, then why would you want a guy who has proved thus far in his career he can only do one of the two well? I will give him more time, but I am not impressed thus far and fear that he and maturi have put us in such a financial predicament that it may limit our options in the future especially what the cutbacks that are coming to the U. I will reiterate that I think Brewster is a good recruiter but I feel that is only 1 piece of the puzzle. I am also surprised and concerned that with all the years he has coached, he appears to have made few close connections with fellow coaches, atleast enough that they wanted to follow him here.

This is a new complaint by you that I have not seen before. How do you know he has not made a lot of close connections over the years? Oh, that is right you know EVERYTHING!!!!!

If it's not one thing it's another. You will always find something to complain about regarding Brewster. You are a pessimist and will likely find something to complain about even when they do make that trip to Pasadena.

First off, I may give you credit for knowing Pelini's family background but that's it! Have you even looked at his resume?!?! First coaching job was assistant in 1991, he became first-time head coach of Neb. in 2008...count the years douche. As for Kiffin...I personally think he will do a very good job at UT, but he has some of the deepest pockets to use to hire his coaching staff and your staff in college football means a lot. I wouldn't call getting canned in the NFL to coaching UT as a promotion (as you have decided) even though Al Davis is a morron. Fact of the matter he was a horrible NFL coach as the product he put on the field was laughable.

You're really going to question Brewster's drive?! :D I'm sorry but that opinion is so misfounded. Ask Mike Shanahan or Mack Brown about Brew's competence.(both have endorsed Brew 100%) Considering Brew was at the heart of Brown's recruiting for years I'm sure he wouldn't have good things to say. No one has said he is the best coach for the job, but we are not Notre Dame, USC, Florida etc. and we will never be, we can be like/better than schools like Oregon, Iowa, Wisc, Mizzou. Can his coaching improve? Yes I'm not doubting that, but I do know one thing...it's a lot easier to coach when you have player's and Brew is getting player's! If we are still in the same boat in two year's then yes it would be time to move on. I'm pretty confident that the team we put on the field in two year's will be something to be proud of.

As for Maturi, hard to judge a man who brought us Tubby Smith and brought our athletic program out of $31 million in debt.

first off, you better look at pelinis resume because unlike brewster he has been promoted in his 17 years as an assistant, coordinator at 3 major bcs schools and 1 national championship as well. why don't you ask lsu how much they missed him this year. Lane kiffin was also promoted to a coordinator and then to a NFL HC. He was largely respected by the players at Oakland from all reports I have seen, just worked for a cra*y owner that numerous former players and coaches have documented. Obviously Mack Brown thought he was a good recruiter but if he had so much faith in his ability as a coach why is it he never promoted him in their 14 years together? I didn't say we were florida but there were more qualified guys that did want this job and would take it today.

GG - you have to agree that the job here is alot more attractive since brew has brought in alot more talent

first off, you better look at pelinis resume because unlike brewster he has been promoted in his 17 years as an assistant, coordinator at 3 major bcs schools and 1 national championship as well. why don't you ask lsu how much they missed him this year. Lane kiffin was also promoted to a coordinator and then to a NFL HC. He was largely respected by the players at Oakland from all reports I have seen, just worked for a cra*y owner that numerous former players and coaches have documented. Obviously Mack Brown thought he was a good recruiter but if he had so much faith in his ability as a coach why is it he never promoted him in their 14 years together? I didn't say we were florida but there were more qualified guys that did want this job and would take it today.

Brew was never promoted huh?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

2007-Current- Head Coach Gophers
2005-2006- Tight Ends, Broncos
2002-2004 - Assistant Head Coach - Tight Ends, Chargers (promotion)
2002-2003 - Tight Ends, Chargers (promotion)
1999-2001 - Tight Ends, University of Texas (went with Mack Brown)
1989-97 - Tight Ends, University of North Carolina (promotion)
1988 - Volunteer Assistant, University of North Carolina (promotion)
1987-88 - Head Coach, Central Catholic High School, Lafayette, Indiana

Your right, never been promoted! C'mon man!!
Kiffin may have been respected by his players but ask every single one of the current gophers if they respect Brew before you can use that defense.

GG - you have to agree that the job here is alot more attractive since brew has brought in alot more talent

I will agree with that, but I still feel like there were and are candidates who could have brought in the talent like he does and also coach it and develop it which is what you need because if he doesn't starting winning soon the talented recruits may stop listening and buying in to his message.

i think no one really knows if the talent brew brings in will be developed yet because he hasnt had time.

five - i know what you are saying. we have been at it before

This is a new complaint by you that I have not seen before. How do you know he has not made a lot of close connections over the years? Oh, that is right you know EVERYTHING!!!!!

If it's not one thing it's another. You will always find something to complain about regarding Brewster. You are a pessimist and will likely find something to complain about even when they do make that trip to Pasadena.

How many of his coaches on the staff worked with him at any of his previous stops? If you develop that network and hire coaches you have worked with, then there are no suprises on their coaching philophy versus yours as well as their work ethic versus yours. You know what to expect as do they and then you can avoid some of the expensive mistakes like hiring and firing an OC who doesn't share your philosophy.

Top Bottom