Breaking News - It looks like Trevor Mbakwe will be suspended

Just wanted to toss this in...

Facebook is an addictive, dangerous abomination. Public figures risk everything when they give in to the urge.

Maybe she is crazy, but I don't believe there are exceptions in a TRO for "good will." Trevor may have meant well, but he damn well should have known better.

I like what someone else suggested Trevor should do:

Forget women and go for currency.

When it comes to the law, I agree. He was jailed for the appropriate time last night. If nothing else happens with the law, then I think the school should look at his intent. It seems pretty obvious right now that he didn't mean any harm.

The double-standard of allowing Brew to dish out 'internal' punishments for things far worse then this while not allowing Tubby to do the same is what upsets me. If it was Tubby dishing out the suspension, I could live with it. Maturi stepping in and doing so because he 'feels pressure' is pathetic. There was no pressure to suspend Gary Tinsley or Michael Carter? If so, it's only because Joe Blow had no idea who they were. Should Trevor be punished more severely because he's talented enough to be noticed? Maturi's once again got his finger in the air, trying to figure out which way the wind is blowing. Just the decisive quality you want from an AD.

+1,000,000,000,000

Better trust the process

Courts do not issue restraining orders without a showing through an evidentiary hearing that establishes good cause for the issuance of the order. A lover's quarrel will not suffice. Additionally, you can track the Florida case which on the one hand showed Trevor left town the day after the alleged attack, later appeared with counsel but offered no statement regarding his innocence (his absolute right) but then later offered an alibi defense with 4 witnesses willing to testify he was with them. It was his attorney who sought the delay. It was a solid legal strategy but not one based on outrage of a false arrest.

Maybe the girl in Florida was crazy. Maybe the girl here is crazy. But two courts have found probable cause to arrest and charge him. If a restraining order has been issued against him, he has been found to pose a threat to the safety of the party seeking protection. It is a serious matter and the underlying facts supporting the order may well add to his problems.

Restraining orders seek to avoid all the re-hashing of violent relationships and are usually simple in their instructions: stay away from the other party and have no contact with him/her. I find it highly inconsistent with Trevor on the one hand seeking his own restraining order and on the other hand be moved to contact the very person he has formally asked a court to keep away from him.

I have no knowledge of his guilt in either case and offer no opinion other than to simply say that I will trust the investigation more than the comments of either party. But as was pointed out, playing is a privilege and his actions reflect on the University. He owes all better.

In another thread, someone said Mike Max reported that he thought the no contact order expired on January 1st. Just throwing that out there.

Like I said, I know the law is the law and he was punished appropriately for that. But the school certainly could and should look at the context of his actions.

If I was Tubby Smith, and Trevor does indeed get suspended for this lapse of judgment, I would immediately resign my position as the coach of the University of Minnesota. Tubby Smith is a National caliber coach, in one of the elite conferences in all of college sports, and his boss runs the University's athletic program like an amateur.

if it is his first offense of this type it will be charged as a misdemeanor.

It is a misdemeanor, however, if I understand correctly can't you be charged with either a gross misdemeanor or a petty misdemeanor? With a gross being more serious.

In another thread, someone said Mike Max reported that he thought the no contact order expired on January 1st. Just throwing that out there.

Like I said, I know the law is the law and he was punished appropriately for that. But the school certainly could and should look at the context of his actions.

Well if you believe him, he thought it was over Jan 1st, but it's easy to say that after the fact. Don't know if that has any relevance in how it's treated, but sounds like the guy thought it was allowed and said, "Hey, why don't I shoot a nice message to her as she's going though some stuff". Personally, if I had that kind of drama going on in the past with her, I ain't touching that regardless to what she's going through.

Given the facts, the only thing Mbakwe is guilty of here is stupidity. I cannot believe how ridiculous this is but given his track record it's something that cannot be ignored.

If I was Tubby Smith, and Trevor does indeed get suspended for this lapse of judgment, I would immediately resign my position as the coach of the University of Minnesota. Tubby Smith is a National caliber coach, in one of the elite conferences in all of college sports, and his boss runs the University's athletic program like an amateur.

I think Tubby's better then to leave in the middle of the season, but it wouldn't shock me if he was out the door pretty fast once the season ends, especially if this is more then a game or two.

Spinelss Joel again will likely take the easy road....

Joel told Tubby he could not have Jimmy Williams as his assistant because Jimmy was a bad egg. Jimmy is one of the nicest fellows you could find, hardly a bad egg but Joel had to appear "tough". It cost us $1,000,000.00.

Joel desperately needs to appear to be a no non sense guy. In reality Joel is a very weak person. He constantly takes the easy road. He knows Brunicks will back him if he suspends but may not if he does not suspend.

And the last thing in the world Mr. Maturi would ever do is rock the boat. God forbid.

How many more "Politically Correct" decisions will this man be allowed to make.
Extend Mason then fire Mason...Extend Monson then Fire Monson...Extend Borton...then fire Borton (very soon)...suspend Mbakwe for a year, the easy road. Who would argue with that. Now suspend Mbakwe again for a text message...again the easy road for spineless Joel.

Courts do not issue restraining orders without a showing through an evidentiary hearing that establishes good cause for the issuance of the order. A lover's quarrel will not suffice. Additionally, you can track the Florida case which on the one hand showed Trevor left town the day after the alleged attack, later appeared with counsel but offered no statement regarding his innocence (his absolute right) but then later offered an alibi defense with 4 witnesses willing to testify he was with them. It was his attorney who sought the delay. It was a solid legal strategy but not one based on outrage of a false arrest.

Maybe the girl in Florida was crazy. Maybe the girl here is crazy. But two courts have found probable cause to arrest and charge him. If a restraining order has been issued against him, he has been found to pose a threat to the safety of the party seeking protection. It is a serious matter and the underlying facts supporting the order may well add to his problems.

Restraining orders seek to avoid all the re-hashing of violent relationships and are usually simple in their instructions: stay away from the other party and have no contact with him/her. I find it highly inconsistent with Trevor on the one hand seeking his own restraining order and on the other hand be moved to contact the very person he has formally asked a court to keep away from him.

I have no knowledge of his guilt in either case and offer no opinion other than to simply say that I will trust the investigation more than the comments of either party. But as was pointed out, playing is a privilege and his actions reflect on the University. He owes all better.

So, maybe I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure there is no restraining order. I think Trevor is accused of violating a no contact order that both he and the girl agreed to.

Given the facts, the only thing Mbakwe is guilty of here is stupidity. I cannot believe how ridiculous this is but given his track record it's something that cannot be ignored.

Well that is the problem. We do not know the facts only the spin. He thought this. He thought that. She's crazy. He was a victim of mistaken identity, etc. However, I can say this: he better have a better story than he thought the restraining order had lapsed. The first thing the court will ask him will be a series of rhetorical questions forcing him to agree that at the prior hearing he was advised of the various findings, given specific instructions, asked whether he understood what had been said, and finally asked whether he had any questions. He simply will not be permitted to say that he didn't know when the order lapsed. Moreover, the violation of the restraining order will allow the court to re-visit all of the underlying facts alleged. If his story at the hearing is inconsistent with the facts in the original hearing, he risks serious findings and sanctions.

As judge, I would ask him,
1. What is it in the order to you to have no contact in person, writing or through electronic communication didn't you understand?

2. Having sought an order of protection from someone whom you have alleged in this court to have been a physical threat to you, why would you try to have any contact with her?

3. If you had a question about the order, why didn't you call your attorney, call your school advisor, or contact the court?

I would also suggest that the correct reasoning is: Given the facts, Mbakwe is guilty of at least stupidity. We simply don't know what else if anything. That is what worries the University and that is why they have to distance themselves.

Keep in mind, do NOT assume that simply because he posted an arguably benign message that it's no big deal. Violation of an order is an offense in itself. He is in trouble with a judge who told him not to do something and he ignored it. Even if the court gives him a break this time, the plank simply gets longer and if there is a repeat, he's in that much deeper.

So, maybe I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure there is no restraining order. I think Trevor is accused of violating a no contact order that both he and the girl agreed to.

The various news agencies all refer to a restraining order. See, e.g., below:

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Minnesota star Trevor Mbakwe's status with the team is being reviewed following an arrest for an alleged violation of a restraining order against the junior forward.

Athletics director Joel Maturi said in an e-mail Tuesday afternoon that a decision about Mbakwe's availability for the next game had not been made.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...innesota.mbakwe.0134/index.html#ixzz1AlFjeiKa

You're correct on the "maybe I'm wrong" part.

I understand what he did. But, people are saying they are done with Trevor, where there is smoke there is fire, how dumb is this guy. I think all these things are pretty harsh. I understand under the law, he messed up, but does that make him a horrible person that we should bash on (not everyone is, but some people are), I just don't think we should.

But you are doing the same thing reversed- giving him the total benefit of the doubt because he helps the U win BB games. Face it, he might be a nice kid, but there is a lot of smoke.

This article seems to be being ignored.

Strib Link

clipped from Strib Article said:
Trevor Mbakwe, the Gophers basketball player arrested Monday night for violating a harassment restraining order, had been barred from contacting a former girlfriend after he refused to stop calling her, to the point that she told court officials she feared for her safety.

But you are doing the same thing reversed- giving him the total benefit of the doubt because he helps the U win BB games. Face it, he might be a nice kid, but there is a lot of smoke.

They're all nice kids and such great guys according to every interview you read on this board because they can dunk a basketball but not exactly the type of guy you want to bring home to meet Mom & Dad.

They're all nice kids and such great guys according to every interview you read on this board because they can dunk a basketball but not exactly the type of guy you want to bring home to meet Mom & Dad.

Im gonna guess you didnt get invited to a whole lot of partys during college art, maybe never had the chance to hang out with someone who could dunk a basketball or say, run for a touchdown...

Also, not sure if anyone on this board has ever tried to get restraining orders or something of that sort, I myself never have, but i have had two freinds try to get them, one male for a female who was denied, and basically made a mocary of, and the female who got one on the male was basically rolled out a red carpet in the court room for hers. Much of it depends on the judge and sadly the sex of the person trying to obtain one.

As much as I tend to agree with G4L on his Facebook comment, I hope the court/judge takes into account the "block" function under Facebook privacy settings that both parties could/should have used in this situation with a restraining order in place. JMHO

Top Bottom