Breaking News - It looks like Trevor Mbakwe will be suspended

One note guys - before we do get all up in arms about this - it's not final. It's what he was leaning towards this morning, things could change in a heartbeat. I guess it's worth waiting for the final word...I just wanted to share what I had been told.

Thanks for doing that. That's why we need to email our, hopefully, soon to be retired AD.

Interesting how so many gladly break out the knee pads and defend TM but I wonder what you'd say if he was hanging out with your college age daughter. Amazing how the ability to rebound a basketball changes one's perception.....

I don't defend his behavior, he knew what he signed, and it was a mutual deal too, no contact both ways. I just don't simply consider this a suspension worthy offense. By all accounts, this was an innocent Facebook message to a baby mama checking in. I mean, it's been almost a couple years, so who knows why he bothered check in even upon hearing the word from the mutual friend that she was having issues. But still, that his kid's mom, there's a part of you wanting to make sure things are good cause it involves someone close to you.

This is knowing what I know so far, which is not probably everything, hence why if Maturi does indeed go forward with this, I'll be curious to know if there is more to the story than we are hearing.

Well thought out and stated Josh, and a solid perspective. Whatever decision Joel makes, he should do the right thing, whatever that is. Given a choice I prefer that my leaders (whether they be congressmen, presidents or AD's) not check which way the wind is blowing and use that as a determining factor in their decision.

It must be really hard to keep up the image of being an incompetent, bumbling idiot.

Exactly. His ability to be swayed continuously by how something will look in the media makes him seem even more incompetent. Yet, he doesn't seem like he understands this concept.

Although I know it won't happen, I suggest people withhold judgment until more facts come out.

It's great that Nadine gets insight into the story from somebody close to Trevor. But there are, in almost every situation, multiple sides to every story. We really haven't heard what the police or the ex-girlfriend have to say.

every person since Tubby has been here who has been arrested, broke team rules, whatever has been suspended. Is it really that bad of a thing to hold your program to a certain standard and follow through with it?

Everyone better send their emails to Bruininks, General Counsel Mark Rotenberg, and the Senior Vice Presidents in the Administriation. They are the people who made this decision. Maturi is just there to take the flak for them.

Ya, no. I don't think the school's general council worries about Trevor and this nonsense. There is no legal implication for the school.

This board is a bunch of frauds. You get up in arms and rip on Devoe for leaving cause he couldn't play for an "old school" coach like Tubby.

But when they get tough on a player who still matters everyone whines for leniency and to take it easy on the player...amazing

How is a guy quitting on his team half way through the season because he "didn't reach his individual goals" the same as wishing someone well? I know the law is the law but this looks about the same as someone getting a speeding ticket for going 46 mph in a 45. If what has come out is the entire story, then the ex-gf looks look she's the one with the issues.

Can we recruit *before* Trevor's scholarship is free up?

Clearly, we have the STUPIDEST basketball players/recruits ever! How friggin hard can it be to figure out that NO CONTACT means no contact? This is just asinine and don't even bother trying to make excuses for Trevor, he's had enough brushes with the law to damn well know better. :mad:

If this were a top player for another school would the sentiment of "non punishment" be the same?

Ya, no. I don't think the school's general council worries about Trevor and this nonsense. There is no legal implication for the school.

In large organizations general counsel's are involved in every decision of this nature. I have worked in similar organizations.

I'll say the same thing now as I said last year when the Royce stuff was going on.

Would everyone be so up in arms if this were a walk-on scrub who never plays, or if it was a member of the men's swimming team? My hunch is, a lot of you (I didn't say all) are up in arms simply because of the significant impact this could have on your favorite basketball team.

I'll say the same thing now as I said last year when the Royce stuff was going on.

Would everyone be so up in arms if this were a walk-on scrub who never plays, or if it was a member of the men's swimming team? My hunch is, a lot of you (I didn't say all) are up in arms simply because of the significant impact this could have on your favorite basketball team.

Is Captain Obvious your superhero name?

every person since Tubby has been here who has been arrested, broke team rules, whatever has been suspended. Is it really that bad of a thing to hold your program to a certain standard and follow through with it?

Agree completely. At some point, the integrity of the institution has to be more important than its sports teams. This isn't a court of law, and there doesn't have to be a burden of proof that the criminal courts have to uphold. It is a privilege, not a right, to represent the University of Minnesota. It is a privilege to have your tuition paid in exchange for playing basketball. I'm a big fan of the basketball program, but i'm a bigger fan of the University of Minnesota, the institution. My hope is that the people in charge feel this way also.

Enough with the drama. I don't care if he's our best player. I don't want players who have restraining orders on my team. I don't want players who don't know how to behave when they have a restraining order on them, on my team. When a player is given a second chance and acts as like it's an entitlement, i want him gone. The way i see it, Trevor disrespected my school and the privileged opportunity he was afforded. I don't want Trevor representing my school.

Agree completely. At some point, the integrity of the institution has to be more important than its sports teams. This isn't a court of law, and there doesn't have to be a burden of proof that the criminal courts have to uphold. It is a privilege, not a right, to represent the University of Minnesota. It is a privilege to have your tuition paid in exchange for playing basketball. I'm a big fan of the basketball program, but i'm a bigger fan of the University of Minnesota, the institution. My hope is that the people in charge feel this way also.

Enough with the drama. I don't care if he's our best player. I don't want players who have restraining orders on my team. I don't want players who don't know how to behave when they have a restraining order on them, on my team. When a player is given a second chance and acts as like it's an entitlement, i want him gone. The way i see it, Trevor disrespected my school and the privileged opportunity he was afforded. I don't want Trevor representing my school.

so file a restraining order against him. and when youre down in the dumps dying of cancer and he says hope all is well, then you can send him to jail too

If that is all that transpired

Mbakwe should NOT be suspended. I would also support a petition to have Joel Maturi removed from his position if he were to force a suspension. Of course, the facts are not known.

"Is Captain Obvious your superhero name?"

No.

Is "I Still Have Little Man Syndrome Even Though I'm in My 30s" yours?

Whatever is going to happen regardless of whatever opinion I hold but:

When we start suspending players for what appear to be charitable acts of good will I think we've got other problems. Trevor violated whatever order was against him. According to his girlfriend there appears to be a bit of history with that. He's being humiliated nationally and locally, arrested, jailed, and appears to be truly remorseful for his transgression.

Regardless of basketball - I hope they do the right thing here and not suspend Trevor.

No.

SS, I love your posts for the most part, but that was a pretty lame retort. I'd suggest giving it another go.

Trevor is the victim.....again. But he sure can rebound.

Whatever is going to happen regardless of whatever opinion I hold but:

When we start suspending players for what appear to be charitable acts of good will I think we've got other problems. Trevor violated whatever order was against him. According to his girlfriend there appears to be a bit of history with that. He's being humiliated nationally and locally, arrested, jailed, and appears to be truly remorseful for his transgression.

Regardless of basketball - I hope they do the right thing here and not suspend Trevor.

Ummm.....I believe the actual charge would be harassment not "charitable acts of goodwill". What I LOVE is how a lot of posters say "it's no big deal because he meant well". TRO's are not handed out because they got into a discussion about Obama's healthcare plan and couldn't agree on who's right. A TRO only get's issued if the judge is of the opinion, the health and well being of one is potentially in danger.

Given his history in Miami etc. I'm pretty sure he knew what the contents of the TRO were. Do I think he should be suspended for this transgression? Yep. And to the people who've compared a TRO to a speeding ticket where you've gone 1 mph over the speed limit....put your daughter in the same spot and see how you'd feel.

Ummm.....I believe the actual charge would be harassment not "charitable acts of goodwill". What I LOVE is how a lot of posters say "it's no big deal because he meant well". TRO's are not handed out because they got into a discussion about Obama's healthcare plan and couldn't agree on who's right. A TRO only get's issued if the judge is of the opinion, the health and well being of one is potentially in danger.

Given his history in Miami etc. I'm pretty sure he knew what the contents of the TRO were. Do I think he should be suspended for this transgression? Yep. And to the people who've compared a TRO to a speeding ticket where you've gone 1 mph over the speed limit....put your daughter in the same spot and see how you'd feel.

without knowing any more details it sounds like the woman is a crazy bitch.
your argument is invalid

without knowing any more details it sounds like the woman is a crazy bitch.
your argument is invalid

Maybe she is crazy, but I don't believe there are exceptions in a TRO for "good will." Trevor may have meant well, but he damn well should have known better.

I like what someone else suggested Trevor should do:

Forget women and go for currency.

Thanks jmag (I think).

Was it any more lame than Nate's smart-a*s remark? Nate's fully capable of defending himself.

No.

Lol, I honestly didn't mean for that to come off as mean. I was just saying that it's so.beyond.obvious that it's the only reason we're upset. If Mbakwe isn't a basketball player why would anyone give a crap about him? Or even know who he is?

I'm 28, btw.

Maybe she is crazy, but I don't believe there are exceptions in a TRO for "good will." Trevor may have meant well, but he damn well should have known better.

I like what someone else suggested Trevor should do:

Forget women and go for currency.

i cannot argue with this at all.

Eventually we will purge our basketball program of all misconduct and all of our players will be spotless, never having done a thing wrong. In fact the whole U of M will be perfect.

Are you aware of the story (if true) that the girl that turned Trevor in had harrassed Trevors current girlfriend causing Trevor and his current girl friend to extend the no contact to two years? It looks like it may have been a bit of a two way street - perhaps there were no perfect players. I think a jailing and a suspension is a little harsh for a "hope you are doing well message". Perhaps an appropriate response might be a warning and a reminder of what no contact means in this hyper communication era of twitter/facebook.

Top Bottom