Bowl Game Projections?

Lol
Maryland fans don’t show up to games in Maryland, you think they’re going to Carolina?
For a one-off "fun" (maybe?) trip? Sure I do

Is the Mayo selection committee more likely to think Maryland will travel to Charlotte, or Minnesota?

You can try your best, but the correct answer is Maryland.

For a one-off "fun" (maybe?) trip? Sure I do

Is the Mayo selection committee more likely to think Maryland will travel to Charlotte, or Minnesota?

You can try your best, but the correct answer is Maryland.
If Maryland fans don’t show up to their home stadium they aren’t showing up to Charlotte
If Maryland is selected it’s because they don’t want to send Maryland out west to Arizona and has nothing to do with fan base. Minnesota would send more fans to Charlotte than Maryland would

If it is the Pinstripe, and any of you are going, I highly recommend visiting Arthur Ave. in the Bronx. It's the Bronx's Little Italy, and you will have the best Italian food of your lives.

If it is the Pinstripe, and any of you are going, I highly recommend visiting Arthur Ave. in the Bronx. It's the Bronx's Little Italy, and you will have the best Italian food of your lives.
As I’ll already be in New York City I am 100% ready to be miserable in the cold and watch us and Pitt combine for 9 points

I spoke to a mid-level employee of the athletic department shortly before the wisconsin game. I asked what he was hearing about bowl placement and he told me that, with a win over the badgers, they were hoping for Charlotte, but bracing for NYC. Didn't think Nashville was in the cards this year. Perhaps the other results in the conference last weekend shook things up a bit, but that's what I was told.

Any good plane fares to Charlotte, North Carolina?

No doubt, especially for a large public school, Maryland has a football attendance problem.

Neat graphic here, mind you these are "announced" attendances, likely meaning tickets sold and not actual tickets scanned.

XSSWlxs.png

But this is largely irrelevant. A bowl game is a special one-off event, where you get on an airplane, go to some place else, and its a fun time away. An excuse to leave town.

just for sh*ts and giggles, I looked at ticket prices for the Pinstripe Bowl.

the way the field is laid out, it looks like a lot of the seats are at an odd angle to the field - almost like a reverse MetroDome.

so, in that sense, there are fewer "good" seats because they're not parallel to the field.

from what I saw, there are seats available in the $60 to $80 range, but those are mainly end-zone or bad angle seats. for a better view, looks like most seats are in the $100 range up to $150 or more.
and that's list price - not including handling fees, taxes, and the "F*ck you, I'm Ticketmaster" fees.

I'm not well versed on the secondary markets, so I suppose there are ways to find cheaper tickets.

*if it's > 2 days before departure

Edit: apparently it's per airline. I was thinking of American (as I just booked a flight yesterday)

• Alaska: Must be booked at least 24 hours prior to departure.
  • American: Must be booked at least two days prior to departure.
  • Delta: Must be booked at least three days (or 72 hours) prior to departure.
  • JetBlue: Must be booked at least a week prior to departure.
  • Southwest: The 24-hour rule applies to all bookings.
  • United: Must be booked at least a week prior to departure.
This is exactly what he is saying - federal law says that airlines have to give you a full refund on a US flight (if booked directly with the airline) if you cancel within 24 hours of booking. The only stipulation that varies is how far in advance of travelling. Federal law states this must be a maximum of 7 days, but some airlines will let you cancel with refund even if your departure date is less than 7 days away.

So if bowls are announced Sunday, then book all likely destinations on Saturday evening (or Sunday morning before the announcements), and make sure to cancel all non-destinations within that 24 hour window. Don't know how easy the airlines make it to cancel, as I've never done it, but in theory it would work. They may make you do it over the phone and sit on hold for 4 hours, don't know....

This is exactly what he is saying - federal law says that airlines have to give you a full refund on a US flight (if booked directly with the airline) if you cancel within 24 hours of booking. The only stipulation that varies is how far in advance of travelling. Federal law states this must be a maximum of 7 days, but some airlines will let you cancel with refund even if your departure date is less than 7 days away.

So if bowls are announced Sunday, then book all likely destinations on Saturday evening (or Sunday morning before the announcements), and make sure to cancel all non-destinations within that 24 hour window. Don't know how easy the airlines make it to cancel, as I've never done it, but in theory it would work. They may make you do it over the phone and sit on hold for 4 hours, don't know....
Ah, right. You'd be booking 24 hrs before, but wouldn't be traveling until the end of Dec. Doy!

"You gonna eat that?"

"Yes. No! Yes. No! No ... Yes? I crossed my mind."

I spoke to a mid-level employee of the athletic department shortly before the wisconsin game. I asked what he was hearing about bowl placement and he told me that, with a win over the badgers, they were hoping for Charlotte, but bracing for NYC. Didn't think Nashville was in the cards this year. Perhaps the other results in the conference last weekend shook things up a bit, but that's what I was told.
Thanks for this tidbit of actual information! I think it makes perfect sense as the MCB has never had Iowa or Illinois and would likely have lobbied for whichever one didn't get Tampa. Then it's all about whether the Mayo is actually interested in Maryland or not.

Any good plane fares to Charlotte, North Carolina?
$421 for nonstops on American, there on Thurs Dec 29 in the morning, and then pretty much any day coming home Sat, Sun, Mon with flight times varying to get that price.

I'm just checking on Google flights. They say prices are cheapest when you're looking on Tuesdays, not sure how valid that is.

Rumor is rose bowl may want penn state anyways even if Ohio state available

Which is interesting.
This likely puts Ohio state in the orange bowl.
This means that one of the New Year’s Day Florida bowls can choose a different conference rather than big ten. Could end up with Wisconsin in quick lane after all.
I would think that would likely leave Mn in pinstripe anyways as they won’t get bumped to quick lane and were out west last year

Illinois to Nashville or Charlotte. Purdue in Florida.

Rumor is rose bowl may want penn state anyways even if Ohio state available

Which is interesting.
This likely puts Ohio state in the orange bowl.
This means that one of the New Year’s Day Florida bowls can choose a different conference rather than big ten. Could end up with Wisconsin in quick lane after all.
I would think that would likely leave Mn in pinstripe anyways as they won’t get bumped to quick lane and were out west last year

Illinois to Nashville or Charlotte. Purdue in Florida.
Now if the Utes can beat USC...OSU would move to the 5th playoff position thereby having a domino effect on the bowl games. Go Utes.

Now if the Utes can beat USC...OSU would move to the 5th playoff position thereby having a domino effect on the bowl games. Go Utes.
Yeah I think I want Utah to win either way.

I think it’s odd anyone thinks Maryland would get picked over Minnesota. Literally no metric.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Minnesota is picked over Iowa by a bowl.

No doubt, especially for a large public school, Maryland has a football attendance problem.

Neat graphic here, mind you these are "announced" attendances, likely meaning tickets sold and not actual tickets scanned.

XSSWlxs.png

But this is largely irrelevant. A bowl game is a special one-off event, where you get on an airplane, go to some place else, and its a fun time away. An excuse to leave town.
From Saturday's game at Maryland

XSSWlxs.png
Rutgers selling more tickets than Minnesota is ridiculous. I mean, damn….

Top Bottom