Bowl Game Projections?

Rumor is rose bowl may want penn state anyways even if Ohio state available
The Athletic just posted the story.

Very interesting!

From the article:

Here’s what you need to know:
  • Tournament of Roses officials met with the Big Ten on Wednesday to discuss the possibility.
  • The Rose Bowl to this point has always taken the highest-ranked Big Ten team when losing the league champion to the Playoff.
  • However, per the Rose Bowl’s website: “If the next-highest ranked team is in a ‘cluster’ of teams, meaning there is another team or teams from the same conference ranked within several spots of each other, the Tournament of Roses will select the team from that cluster that will result in the best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl game.”
  • Unlike Ohio State, which has been to Pasadena twice in the last four seasons, Penn State has not been to the bowl since the 2016 season.
  • Purdue, which was not ranked in the latest CFP Top 25, would earn the Big Ten’s Rose Bowl bid with a win over Michigan in the Big Ten Championship Game.
Asked what would be considered a “cluster” in the rankings, Laura Farber, chair of the Rose Bowl Management Committee, told The Athletic, “There is no magic number. The teams have to be ranked within several spots of each other … While the Tournament of Roses makes the selection, we do it in conjunction with our conference partners. It’s collaborative.”

LOL. And people still doubt that it isn't all a giant hand-waiving BS process where ultimately the bowl tells the Big Ten the team it wants and the Big Ten is like "Cool."??

This likely puts Ohio state in the orange bowl.
This means that one of the New Year’s Day Florida bowls can choose a different conference rather than big ten.
It's the Outback that the Big Ten loses in that case. It's literally on the Bowl website: https://www.reliaquestbowl.com/about

The Tampa Bay Bowl Association hosts a college football game that is typically played on New Year's Day featuring teams from the SEC and Big Ten Conference or ACC (if a Big Ten team goes to the Orange Bowl).

Could end up with Wisconsin in quick lane after all.
Haha! Suck it Wisc!

I would think that would likely leave Mn in pinstripe anyways as they won’t get bumped to quick lane and were out west last year

Illinois to Nashville or Charlotte. Purdue in Florida.
LOL you can't even type it out. You know it's Maryland to Mayo, and just can't stand being wrong.

You're right a lot. It's OK to be wrong once in a while. You'll be fine

Doesn't ultimately change a single thing for us. Pinstripe

But dicks Wisc down into the QL to play a MAC team. I'll take it.

Good. That's what it should be, for a 6-6 team with a 4-5 conf record. They should get the s__t bowl.

Now if the Utes can beat USC...OSU would move to the 5th playoff position thereby having a domino effect on the bowl games. Go Utes.
If USC or TCU (or both) lose, then OSU is in the CFP with Mich, and then Penn St would go to the Rose Bowl anyway.

Rose clearly wants to start planning and marketing themselves to Penn St fans hungry to get back to Pasadena. They travel very well.

There has been a lot of hyperbole on GH as to who travels better Iowa or Minnesota. I wonder what the numbers are. The last 2 years stats would have been skewed by COVID.
It's also about how much money is thrown around generally. The bowl committee and often the city travel/tourism board put these things on as a way to get people in the city spending money.

The stores/bars/restaurants report back sales numbers. So even if a fanbase buys up the tickets, but doesn't spend a lot of money, that will be a black mark against them.

I agree it's kind of a silly thing, but it is what it is.

Yeah but that should flop Maryland and Wisconsin (who beat Maryland) not Maryland and Minnesota

Everyone putting Wisconsin in Arizona bowl, MN in NY, Maryland in Charlotte

Should be MN in charlotte, WI in NY, maryland in AZ
Lot of "shoulds" in this post.

Should ain't how the world works. As you well know

The “Minnesota doesn’t travel well” narrative is such a self-fulfilling prophecy. Minnesota gets shafted in bowl selection so Minnesota fans don’t travel. Bowls say “see, Minnesota doesn’t travel.” Rinse and repeat.

The only advantage Pinstripe has over Charlotte is that there are probably way more Gophers living in the NYC area than in the Carolinas.
I don't think Charlotte would be any kind of prize destination or fun trip. Like traveling to Atlanta. Just a place where a bunch of big businesses are located and where a bunch of people live and work. Nothing particularly fun about it.

Not particularly warm there either. Lower ACC matchup either way. At least it would be in a football stadium!

Should have and could easily have beaten both Purdue and Iowa. If we had done so, this thread would be very different.
Yes, it would be different. We’d be talking about how a loss in the B1G championship would likely knock the Gophers all the way down to Tampa and a NY6 bowl would be off the table.

Yes, it would be different. We’d be talking about how a loss in the B1G championship would likely knock the Gophers all the way down to Tampa and a NY6 bowl would be off the table.

If we were 10-2 heading into the championship game in Indy, I for one would not be automatically assuming we would lose there.

Sometimes I think I was actually born in another state, and my parents smuggled me to Minnesota as an infant, because I just don't carry the Minnesota 'doom-and-gloom' gene.

Last edited:

If we were 10-2 heading into the championship game in Indy, I for one would not be automatically assuming we'd would lose there.

Sometimes I think I was actually born in another state, and my parents smuggled me to Minnesota as an infant, because I just don't carry the Minnesota 'doom-and-gloom' gene.
It's just being a human.

When the teams find a way to fail their fanbases over and over and over and over and over ....

I’ll play. Penn State, a team that the Gophers were pretty familiar with in 2019, got a NY6 bowl game ahead of the Gophers that year.

But, I think that is actually beside the point. I think the point is the Gophers usually get screwed on their bowl game. Perhaps not every single time, but there is a long notorious history of this.
Thats a fair point, although MN might have gotten a better matchup in a better location that year. Also in 2018 they did not get screwed.

I get that people get upset and they always want a better bowl game for the squad, but there have been times when many other teams feel the same way.

Rutgers selling more tickets than Minnesota is ridiculous. I mean, damn….
Rutgers is the state university of NJ, there are a ton of alumni in the area (NJ/NY) and fans are jacked to have Schanio back in hopes of their return to their glory days (2006, were 11-2 and finished 12 in final AP poll) when Ray Rice was hauling the pigskin for them.

Do we travel well or have transplants and snowbirds show up in droves at the games? I think that was the case in Arizona last year. That may contribute to the “don’t travel well” narrative and sour selection committees. A lot more tourist money in visitors than locals showing up.
Is Minnesota the only school with snowbirds who buy bowl game tickets? I would find that a little hard to believe.

NYC metro ... could easily be medium sized businesses taking clients to an "event" etc.
No, not in my experience, it’s broadway shows (I’ve seen Chicago ten times - great for date nights), concert and NY has 2 teams for each of the 4 major sports & soccer, or dinner and drinks.

From Grand Central to Piscataway is
a good hour on the train, so the options in the first paragraph are much closer as well.

Last edited:

Get bitter.

You don't think a special one-off thing can attract more people than just a boring local game?

It isn't as special as you pretend it is. I doubt any of the few fans they have care about a third tier bowl in Carolina.

Your whole premise is based on a ridiculous take and you act like it proves something. You speak in absolutes while scolding others for speculation that is based on actual information. It's hilarious to watch because you just keep making yourself look foolish.

The Gophs may end up in the Pinstripe...it won't be because of the reasons you suggest though. Maryland "fans" will not care.

It isn't as special as you pretend it is. I doubt any of the few fans they have care about a third tier bowl in Carolina.

Your whole premise is based on a ridiculous take and you act like it proves something. You speak in absolutes while scolding others for speculation that is based on actual information. It's hilarious to watch because you just keep making yourself look foolish.

The Gophs may end up in the Pinstripe...it won't be because of the reasons you suggest though. Maryland "fans" will not care.
If the gophers end up in pinstripe it is because they don’t want to send Maryland out of the eastern/central time zone

Gophers to Pinstripe is a crime against humanity.
Unless one of the bowls prefers Minnesota over Illinois, Purdue or Iowa it seems NY is likely.

The Mayo Bowl may prefer MD because of proximity to the South and it’s former ACC affiliation (or they may want WI).

Even if they want MN, the B1G will probably push for MD to Charlotte because MD can’t go back to NY, and they are not going to want an East Cost team playing at 10:30pm EST (in AZ).

This all just really comes down to the San Francisco Bowl (and it’s prime time Fox broadcast) folding, and the B1G not bothering to replace it.

Last edited:

Get bitter.

You don't think a special one-off thing can attract more people than just a boring local game?

It's funny. You keep pointing to other teams traveling so well as the reason why the Gophers won't get picked to certain games. Maryland can't even get people to their home games....but they'll travel well for this?

Your reasoning is all sorts of twisted and contorted here.

but they'll travel well for this?
Same old non-argument on repeat.

Irrelevant.

Hey, but make sure you send really snarky emails to the Charlotte committee! That will win the day. I put the email address above. :)

Unless one of the bowls prefers Minnesota over Illinois, Purdue or Iowa it seems NY is likely.

The Mayo Bowl may prefer MD because of proximity to the South and it’s former ACC affiliation (or they may want WI).

Even if they want MN, the B1G will probably push for MD to Charlotte because MD can’t go back to NY, and they are not going to want an East Cost team playing at 10:30pm EST (in AZ).

This all just really comes down to the San Francisco Bowl (and it’s prime time Fox broadcast) folding, and the B1G not bothering to replace it.
I'm quite certain that stocker will ignore this post and its spot on logic.

But the Gophers fans will care about it?

In this very thread we have one fan who says they will travel for the MC but nothing under that. Indeed, Charlotte is not a special location -- you just said it yourself.

Would guess similar for some others.

You imagining this where it doesn't exist, is your problem.

Lot of "shoulds" in this post.

Should ain't how the world works. As you well know

Well, there's no saying it couldn't this time. Your opinion certainly is supportable but I wouldn't be too sure of it as this point. It's not like the Gophers always get a bowl placement lower than they deserve.

No, not in my experience, it’s broadway shows (I’ve seen Chicago ten times - great for date nights), concert and NY has 2 teams for each of the 4 major sports & soccer, or dinner and drinks.

From Grand Central to Piscataway is
a good hour on the train, so the options in the first paragraph are much closer as well.
Fair enough and I'm sure you're right. I was saying the NYC metro is a vast area. But maybe it really is people interested in Rutgers football and watching the games. Good on them for doing what they can do to get people to the stadium.

CBS's Jerry Palm (the guy some think is a dink) predicts Mayo Bowl against Florida State. He has been right on bowl placements more than he's been wrong. For what it's worth, here's the latest:

Sports Illustrated chimes in - once again Mayo Bowl vs. Florida State:

Athlon - Mayo Bowl vs. NC State (I'd like to see this match-up)

Yahoo Sports Latest - Music City Bowl vs. Kentucky:

Last edited:

Top Bottom