Bowl Game Projections?

We've got another bowl projection thread with lots of banter in it, but basically it's tough to guess since 1) the B1G has a legit chance to get two teams in the CFP and 2) if they don't, there's still a chance PSU gets a NY6 bid... But that's a toss up.

My best guess is Music City. I'll say B1G does get 3 in the CFP/NY6, Purdue gets the Citrus, Illinois the Reliaquest, Iowa the Mayo, MN Music City, Wisconsin the Pinstripe, Maryland the Guaranteed Rate. If PSU doesn't get NY6, slide them into the Citrus and everyone else down -- so Minnesota the Pinstripe IMO. All just guesses though.

We've got another bowl projection thread with lots of banter in it, but basically it's tough to guess since 1) the B1G has a legit chance to get two teams in the CFP and 2) if they don't, there's still a chance PSU gets a NY6 bid... But that's a toss up.

My best guess is Music City. I'll say B1G does get 3 in the CFP/NY6, Purdue gets the Citrus, Illinois the Reliaquest, Iowa the Mayo, MN Music City, Wisconsin the Pinstripe, Maryland the Guaranteed Rate. If PSU doesn't get NY6, slide them into the Citrus and everyone else down -- so Minnesota the Pinstripe IMO. All just guesses though.
PSU is a virtual lock for a NY6 bid
But
If it’s the orange bowl it takes away another bid somewhere else

My general rule with Gopher bowl assignments is to run all the numbers, do a lot of analysis, painstakingly look at the resumes of other B1G teams, consider who played in recent bowls in past years, look at likely matchups, and then where the Gophers should play becomes very clear.

But… then take that obvious clear assignment and then move the Gophers down one to three notches, and you have the possible range, with the two bowls two and three spots down as the final choice.

I’m hopeful for Music City. Guessing we end up in New York.

1. Rose Bowl vs Pac-12 - OSU a lock unless they somehow sneak into the CFP (they won't).
2. Vrbo Citrus Bowl vs SEC - PSU a lock
3. ReliaQuest Bowl vs SEC - Purdue 8-5, or Illinois 8-4, or MN 8-4
4. Duke’s Mayo Bowl vs ACC - Purdue 8-5, or Illinois 8-4, or MN 8-4
5. TransPerfect Music City Bowl vs SEC - Purdue 8-5, or Illinois 8-4, or MN 8-4
6. New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs ACC - I'm guessing Iowa 7-5 since Maryland was there last year.
7. Guaranteed Rate Bowl vs Big 12 - Maryland 7-5 or Wisconsin 6-6?
8. Quick Lane Bowl vs MAC - Maryland 7-5 or Wisconsin 6-6?

I'm guessing Purdue to the Reliaquest unless they get thoroughly embarrassed next week, Illinois to Duke's, and...

Minnesota to Music City. Hmmm. I'd love to see Alan Jackson at his place before his health issues force him to permanently retire.
Penn State to a New Year's Six not listed here is the more likely lock. (Unless OSU makes the CFP, then they'll go to the Rose Bowl). I'm under the impression that the B1G will not be sending a representative to the Quick Lane Bowl this year.

Maybe Gophs gain the interest of a Florida bowl.

With their two losses to OSU and Michigan....I think Penn State gets a NY6 Bowl game. At that point....the rest of the bowls are a toss up. Gophers should be at little risk of dropping below the Music City Bowl.

But
I don't think it's a lock and neither do their fans from what I saw on their boards last week. Looking a LOT better with LSU losing tonight, though. Just hope it's not the Orange like you said.

I don't think it's a lock and neither do their fans from what I saw on their boards last week. Looking a LOT better with LSU losing tonight, though. Just hope it's not the Orange like you said.
They are 11th
#5 is down 15
#15 is losing
#20 lost
#17 lost
#8 lost
#9 lost

They’re going to be probably 8th on Tuesday with no games left to lose

My guess is that Minnesota's bowl opponent is one of the following:

Ole Miss
Kentucky
Arkansas
Florida
Duke
NC State
Louisville
Pitt

I'll place my bet on Gophers v Kentucky in the Music City Bowl

But it could also be the Duke's Bowl vs Duke.

They are 11th
#5 is down 15
#15 is losing
#20 lost
#17 lost
#8 lost
#9 lost

Good call brother. I forgot how high they'd gotten in the rankings...And that Oregon lost in addition to LSU. So yeah, it's looking way better than it did yesterday. Super helpful.

But
Big Ten loses the ReliaQuest Bowl bid if they put a team in the Orange Bowl.

Are we sure Illinois and Purdue are definitely going ahead of Minnesota for bowl placement? Does Purdue face any sort of penalty in the eyes of the bowl committees for having spent a chunk of their disposable income attending the Big Ten championship game, and might not attend a bowl game in such great numbers, especially if they get destroyed by Michigan? Is there a perception that Illinois and Purdue are small fan bases that don't travel, and they get jumped in bowl placement like the way we're used to seeing with Minnesota? If Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State all make the NY6, could Minnesota still get the Citrus or ReliaQuest?

Are we sure Illinois and Purdue are definitely going ahead of Minnesota for bowl placement? Does Purdue face any sort of penalty in the eyes of the bowl committees for having spent a chunk of their disposable income attending the Big Ten championship game, and might not attend a bowl game in such great numbers, especially if they get destroyed by Michigan? Is there a perception that Illinois and Purdue are small fan bases that don't travel, and they get jumped in bowl placement like the way we're used to seeing with Minnesota? If Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State all make the NY6, could Minnesota still get the Citrus or ReliaQuest?
Not sure.
But if we jump them it would be as dumb as Maryland jumping us or penn state jumping us last year

Not so sure about that. Iowa has an L to a 4-8 Iowa State team and one of the worst offenses in the nation.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I'd just like to make it sound as accurate and bad as possible for the Hawks. They are 130 out of 131 in total offense. "one of the worst" is accurate but too kind for our rivals;)....and sadly, we still lost:mad:

I'd guess that we wouldn't jump Purdue because they won the West. Illinois we definitely could. Gophers were 8-4 last year with wins over Purdue and Wisconsin and both those teams got invited to better bowls....so I don't think Illinois's win over the Gophers necessarily slots them ahead of us.

Hard to pick them above 8-4 Minnesota or 7-5 Iowa given the 4 teams in contention the records are
7-5 Iowa (2-0)
8-4 Minnesota (1-1)
6-6 wisconsin (1-2)
7-5 Maryland (0-1)

Maryland would be pinstripe lock if they weren’t there last year
Prediction: Ibrahim, Michael John-Stephens and one other senior opt out of bowl game.

Prediction: Ibrahim, Michael John-Stephens and one other senior opt out of bowl game.
Who is Michael John Stephens?
Do you mean John Michael Schmitz or Michael brown Stephens? Lol

If Mo is healthy I think he plays. He sets a lot of records with 60 yards and 1 touchdown. If that didn’t matter to him he wouldn’t have come back to college this year at all.

Sorry for the confusion, but this thread was meant to be a discussion of what bowl game we end up playing in, not which players will participate in the game.

I don’t see the playoff committee allowing two B1G teams in the finals. If it was the SEC then it’s guaranteed that Ohio State and Michigan go

CFN chimes in:

TransPerfect Music City Bowl​

Saturday, December 31, 2022
12:00, ESPN
Nissan Stadium, Nashville, TN
Last Year: Purdue 48, Tennessee 45 OT
Bowl Ties: Big Ten vs SEC
Bowl Projection: Minnesota vs Kentucky

Go Gophers!!

They are 11th
#5 is down 15
#15 is losing
#20 lost
#17 lost
#8 lost
#9 lost

8th should be a lock.

Even if TCU and USC both get in, which will then pull teams up into the Sugar and Rose Bowl that maybe won't even be in the top 12, and with the G5 champ being outside the top 12, that still means you're a lock if you're 9 or better.

Clemson losing was huge.

Orange should now be Clemson vs Alabama or Tennessee. PSU to Cotton.

Purdue to Citrus, Illinois/Iowa to Outback/Mayo.

Hopefully that means Gophers to Music City. Nashville for NYE game, fun ass weekend for fans!

SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, and PAC will pull out all the stops with home cooking, to make sure that Georgia, Michigan, TCU, and USC win their conf championship games. Do a parlay on those and make a bucketload of cash.

Then take it with you to blow in Nashville.

Interesting who will then be the PAC rep at the Rose Bowl? I guess Washington.

Top Bottom