Bowl Game Projections?

I am trying to be positive about the Pinhead Bowl but checking the hotel prices in New York puts a stop to that.
I’m not sure it’ll be cheaper but be sure to check something like Airbnb. They may just give you a single private room but you may find better deals.

I am trying to be positive about the Pinhead Bowl but checking the hotel prices in New York puts a stop to that.
Nashville has some of the most overpriced hotels in the country. At least from what I've seen in my experience they are not far off from what's in Times Square (been to both in the last 5 years).

Thats a fair point, although MN might have gotten a better matchup in a better location that year. Also in 2018 they did not get screwed.

I get that people get upset and they always want a better bowl game for the squad, but there have been times when many other teams feel the same way.
Of course the Gophers didn’t get screwed in 2018. The team finished 6-6 so it HAD to be placed in a bowl and it happened to be the lowest available for a B1G team. No complaints, but certainly not catching a break either.

And yes, other teams get screwed too. But do they get screwed with regularity? If so my heart goes out to them because this has been a regular thing for MN dating back to the Mason years and the Alamo Bowls that never were.

Have the Gophers been screwed every single time? No. Have the Gophers been screwed with some level of regularity? Yes.

The problem or issue with all the speculation is that a lot of the system depends on the individual whims and desires of the individual bowl committees.

You or I could advance a perfectly reasonable and logical argument as to why MN "deserves" this bowl as opposed to that bowl.

But to quote William Munny, "deserve's got nothing to do with it."

If a particular bowl committee doesn't like MN for whatever reason, or doesn't want MN, then MN is not going to that bowl.

and - like it or not, MN is not a helmet school. MN does not have a recent tradition of excellence.
MN is not on the front page of the ESPN website.

the B1G will lobby on behalf of its member schools, but I don't believe the B1G can force a bowl to take a team it doesn't want.

bottom line - if you want a better bowl, then win more games. If you don't win more games, then you take what you can get.
Unforgiven quote - Respect 🫡

Most outlets have updated their projections following the Penn St / Rose Bowl news, and it ain't good for Gopher fans. I was convinced the team was headed to NYC regardless, but chalk in the CFP and PSU to the Rose over OSU seems to solidify it in the minds of most with CBS, The Athletic, Action Network, and CFN all projecting Minnesota to the Pinstripe vs. Syracuse. McMurphy predicts MN would open -6.5. Who's ready for a rematch with the hated Orange?!?!?

BTW, 3 out of 4 have Illinois to the Music City and Iowa to Duke's Mayo, with only the Athletic predicting Iowa to Music City (their beat writer helps with these projections), Maryland to Duke's, and Illinois to Guaranteed Rate...and you thought a fanbase couldn't be more p!$$ed about a bowl selection than Minnesota's was last year, lol. Just wait for Bielema's tweets if that happens!

Most outlets have updated their projections following the Penn St / Rose Bowl news, and it ain't good for Gopher fans. I was convinced the team was headed to NYC regardless, but chalk in the CFP and PSU to the Rose over OSU seems to solidify it in the minds of most with CBS, The Athletic, Action Network, and CFN all projecting Minnesota to the Pinstripe vs. Syracuse. McMurphy predicts MN would open -6.5. Who's ready for a rematch with the hated Orange?!?!?

BTW, 3 out of 4 have Illinois to the Music City and Iowa to Duke's Mayo, with only the Athletic predicting Iowa to Music City (their beat writer helps with these projections), Maryland to Duke's, and Illinois to Guaranteed Rate...and you thought a fanbase couldn't be more p!$$ed about a bowl selection than Minnesota's was last year, lol. Just wait for Bielema's tweets if that happens!
Agree 100%. I didn't think the Penn State to Rose Bowl would affect us like this. Pinstripe is the lesser of the 3 (Mayo, Music, Pinstripe), but I would love to kick Syracuse's oranges back to Northern NY.

There could however be some surprises, but I'm not counting on it. The assignments are clearing up. One wild-card....what if Purdue beats Michigan??

Agree 100%. I didn't think the Penn State to Rose Bowl would affect us like this. Pinstripe is the lesser of the 3 (Mayo, Music, Pinstripe), but I would love to kick Syracuse's oranges back to Northern NY.

There could however be some surprises, but I'm not counting on it. The assignments are clearing up. One wild-card....what if Purdue beats Michigan??
Pinstripe isn't a bad bowl at all and NYC is obviously a destination with lots to do. The "prestige" of the Pinstripe vs the mayonnaise bucket or whatever is no big deal.

It's just no fun for traveling fans from Minneapolis and Syracuse who look forward to the bowl game as an excuse for a warm-weather trip.

Pinstripe Bowl: zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pinstripe Bowl vs. a team they've played semi-recently in both the regular season and a bowl: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Agree 100%. I didn't think the Penn State to Rose Bowl would affect us like this.

What I don't understand is why the projected bowls for PSU and OSU weren't simply switched if the Rose wanted PSU. Prior to this information, the projections showed OSU to the Rose and PSU to the Cotton. With those two bowl assignments we don't lose the Reliaquest. Why was the Cotton assignment switched to the Orange assignment?

I was convinced the team was headed to NYC regardless, but chalk in the CFP and PSU to the Rose over OSU seems to solidify it in the minds of most with CBS, The Athletic, Action Network, and CFN all projecting Minnesota to the Pinstripe vs. Syracuse. McMurphy predicts MN would open -6.5. Who's ready for a rematch with the hated Orange?!?!?

I don't mind the Pinstripe as much as the projected opponent, Syracuse. Prior to this week, projections were showing 8-4 Pitt in the Pinstripe and Syracuse in the Fenway. Pitt and Minnesota would be a solid matchup. Apparently Syracuse petitioned the ACC to not send its team to the Fenway because that bowl is scheduled one day after the completion of its finals week. But, I went to a Syracuse forum where this was being discussed and they mentioned that Pitt has the same finals week. They noted that Wake Forest's finals end a week earlier. Why not just switch Syracuse and Wake Forest (projected in the Military Bowl on Dec. 28th by Jerry Palm)? They have the same 7-5 record.

I don't mind the Pinstripe as much as the projected opponent, Syracuse. Prior to this week, projections were showing 8-4 Pitt in the Pinstripe and Syracuse in the Fenway. Pitt and Minnesota would be a solid matchup. Apparently Syracuse petitioned the ACC to not send its team to the Fenway because that bowl is scheduled one day after the completion of its finals week. But, I went to a Syracuse forum where this was being discussed and they mentioned that Pitt has the same finals week. They noted that Wake Forest's finals end a week earlier. Why not just switch Syracuse and Wake Forest (projected in the Military Bowl on Dec. 28th by Jerry Palm)? They have the same 7-5 record.

Wow. That Dec. 17th date for the Fenway bowl is a terrible date. Especially for a Power 5 conference.

Pinstripe Bowl: zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pinstripe Bowl vs. a team they've played semi-recently in both the regular season and a bowl: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
I'd thumbs up this 100x if able. Captures my sentiments exactly.
  • Pitt or Wake vs Minnesota in the Pinstripe still stinks, but it's SLIGHTLY more interesting to me since we've not played them recently.
  • NC State in the Mayo is still meh, but it's more appealing given their recent win over UNC and the game being played in an NFL stadium in a warmer locale.
  • An SEC team in the Music City is infinitely more appealing for so many reasons, but it's now highly unlikely.

It makes sense for the Rose to target Penn State.

They, along with the Big Ten, are hoping either USC or TCU loses. In that case, OSU slips into the CFP and PSU would go to the Rose anyway.

So the Rose wants a head start on marketing itself to PSU fans.

If both USC and TCU win, like you said, then OSU gets locked out as #5 but then has to be taken by the Orange per contract (they have to take the highest ranked available Big Ten, SEC, or Notre Dame). And that kills the Outback, pushing down Illinois into the MC or Mayo.

One wild-card....what if Purdue beats Michigan??
No one wants to think about that.

But in that case, OSU would be in the CFP, Purdue would go to the Rose as the Big Ten champion (but not ranked high enough to get into the CFP), and Michigan ... don't know. Probably would not get ranked higher than Alabama/Tenn, so would not go to the Orange, but guessing they would be ranked higher than Penn St, so probably take the Cotton slot.

That pushes Penn St to the Citrus, but the Outback is still alive to take Illinois.

So that still leaves the Mayo, or even the MC if you're really crazy, to take the Gophers on paper, over Iowa and Maryland.

What I don't understand is why the projected bowls for PSU and OSU weren't simply switched if the Rose wanted PSU. Prior to this information, the projections showed OSU to the Rose and PSU to the Cotton. With those two bowl assignments we don't lose the Reliaquest. Why was the Cotton assignment switched to the Orange assignment?
Because the Orange is contractually required to take the highest ranked team available from the Big Ten, SEC, or Notre Dame.

Ohio St would be #5 and thus have to be taken.

If OSU went to the Rose, Penn St was then ranked lower than Alabama/Tenn and so those would go to Sugar and Orange instead.

• Pitt or Wake vs Minnesota in the Pinstripe still stinks, but it's SLIGHTLY more interesting to me since we've not played them recently.
  • NC State in the Mayo is still meh, but it's more appealing given their recent win over UNC and the game being played in an NFL stadium in a warmer locale.
  • An SEC team in the Music City is infinitely more appealing for so many reasons, but it's now highly unlikely.
Minn vs Syracuse is the Coyle bowl.

Hired both Dino Babers and PJ Fleck, I believe.

Wonder if Yankee field will install heating Coyles??

No one wants to think about that.

But in that case, OSU would be in the CFP, Purdue would go to the Rose as the Big Ten champion (but not ranked high enough to get into the CFP), and Michigan ... don't know. Probably would not get ranked higher than Alabama/Tenn, so would not go to the Orange, but guessing they would be ranked higher than Penn St, so probably take the Cotton slot.

That pushes Penn St to the Citrus, but the Outback is still alive to take Illinois.

So that still leaves the Mayo, or even the MC if you're really crazy, to take the Gophers on paper, over Iowa and Maryland.

What if TCU or USC or both lose their championship games? Their championship games are projected (by the spreads) to be close. That could put OSU in the playoff, PSU in the Rose, and no Big Ten team in the Orange. Presumably that would restore the Reliaquest.

What if TCU or USC or both lose their championship games? Their championship games are projected (by the spreads) to be close. That could put OSU in the playoff, PSU in the Rose, and no Big Ten team in the Orange. Presumably that would restore the Reliaquest.
Correct.

This is the best case scenario for the Big Ten and the Gophers bowl chances.

(Still think they get forced into the Pinstripe, but at least it's a better chance of not)

Who ever wrote that the Music City Bowl was fun. Absolutely correct. I was there to watch the Gophers beat Shula’s Alabama. Great pre-game rally. Stayed in the down town Holiday Inn Express. Perfect. Can walk to the game. Right across the street from the police station. Perfect, when you come home at 2 a.m. Will repeat if given the chance.

I'll take a stab at this because I feel I have a decent understanding.

Current CFP Rankings:
5. Ohio State
6. Alabama
7. Tennessee
8. Penn State

The selection criteria for the Orange Bowl are that they will take the ACC champion, or highest ranked remaining ACC team if one is in the Playoff (obviously this will not be the case this year, so the ACC champion will be in the bowl). They will play against the highest ranked "available" BIG or SEC school. Currently this is Ohio State. However, as the highest ranked BIG team not in the playoff, they were slated for the Rose Bowl.

This would mean available teams are ranked as such:
5. Ohio State (Rose Bowl)
6. Alabama (Sugar Bowl)
7. Tennessee
8. Penn State

Therefore, Tennessee would be the Orange Bowl participant. Penn State is ranked below Tennessee, so they would get the At-large bid to the Cotton Bowl as the highest ranked team in the CFP not assigned to the Rose/Sugar/Orange.

But because the Rose Bowl HAS TO HAVE Penn State, despite their normal practice, this would mean Ohio State is again available for the Orange Bowl.

5. Ohio State
6. Alabama (Sugar Bowl)
7. Tennessee
8. Penn State (Rose Bowl)

Seeing as they are ranked higher than Alabama and Tennesee, they are the top ranked available BIG/SEC school and would be picked for the Orange. This causes Tennessee to be shifted down to the Cotton Bowl, formerly occupied by Penn State.

Last edited:

NC State gives me the heebie-jeebies 22 years after attending the infamous MicronPC.com Bowl in Miami with my newly pregnant bride. The Gophers were demolishing the Wolfpack in the first half with Tellis Redmon running wild and were up 24-0 late in the first half. The blowout was on.

Phillip Rivers and Koren Robinson then proceeded to light it up while Mason went into turtle mode. NC State outscored the Gophs 31-3 from then on. I believe it was one of Mason's first epic meltdowns.

It was one of the first games where I went, "how in the hell did that just happen?". Redmon had 246 rushing yards on his own. The Gophers outgained the Wolfpack 502-419 with 300 rushing yards. One of many to meltdowns come...and people wonder why long time Gopher fans are overly pessimistic.

1669995697464.png

Nashville has some of the most overpriced hotels in the country. At least from what I've seen in my experience they are not far off from what's in Times Square (been to both in the last 5 years).
If they can fill the rooms at those rates, it's not overpriced. More expensive, yes.

If they can fill the rooms at those rates, it's not overpriced. More expensive, yes.
I get it. Overpriced in the sense of what you're getting in terms of amenities compared to other locations is what I meant. But they will charge what they can get away with. Just look at what hotels in Duluth charge in the summer (similar to Nashville and NYC Times Square).

Pass on the Pinstripe or Mayo. Nashville or a Florida bowl please. Pinstripe is like being sent to the bowl in Boise. I remember ACC teams awhile back declining those bids. If we had only won a few more games....sigh...then no talk of the punishment bowls.

Last edited:

Good write up on bowls with 1 spot left now the New Mexico State is in.

Buffalo wins tonight and they are in. They lose and 5-7 UNLV will go bowling. Also Missouri trying to dodge a bowl game against Kansas.

Top Bottom