Bowl Game Projections?

No one wants to think about that.

But in that case, OSU would be in the CFP, Purdue would go to the Rose as the Big Ten champion (but not ranked high enough to get into the CFP), and Michigan ... don't know. Probably would not get ranked higher than Alabama/Tenn, so would not go to the Orange, but guessing they would be ranked higher than Penn St, so probably take the Cotton slot.

That pushes Penn St to the Citrus, but the Outback is still alive to take Illinois.

So that still leaves the Mayo, or even the MC if you're really crazy, to take the Gophers on paper, over Iowa and Maryland.
I don't see a scenario where Ohio State would make the CFP and Michigan does not. OSU is Michigan's floor. Tough to put OSU above Michigan when they played last week and Michigan won by 22 at Columbus. Hard to imagine rewarding OSU for taking Saturday off and sitting on their couch.

But the Gophers fans will care about it?

In this very thread we have one fan who says they will travel for the MC but nothing under that. Indeed, Charlotte is not a special location -- you just said it yourself.

Would guess similar for some others.

You imagining this where it doesn't exist, is your problem.
Maybe, maybe not. But the Gophers are more likely to i would bet. No matter how much you pretend the Maryland fans that don't show up to their home games might find some bowl they never heard of as "special" there is literally no proof that will happen.

So we should all be cheering for Utah tonight so OSU gets in the final 4 and then the conference retains the Reliant Bowl or Reliaquest or whatever the Tampa Bowl is? A matchup against Syracuse in NYC leaves a bit to be desired.........

Please no Mayo Bowl I'm one of those mayo-phobes who can barely be near the stuff, and all the mayo-themed stunts they pull will just gross me out. I would rather wake up feeling the cheeziest
Improve your condiments!

Pass on the Pinstripe or Mayo. Nashville or a Florida bowl. Pinstripe is like being sent to the bowl in Boise. I remember ACC teams awhile back declining those bids. If we had only won a few more games....sigh...then no talk of the punishment bowls.
You're comparing Boise to NYC???? Huh?

Justin Williams

@Williams_Justin

·
49m
Cincinnati will play Louisville in the Wasabi Fenway Bowl on Saturday, Dec. 17 at Fenway Park in Boston, sources tell @TheAthleticCFB.

Maybe, maybe not. But the Gophers are more likely to i would bet. No matter how much you pretend the Maryland fans that don't show up to their home games might find some bowl they never heard of as "special" there is literally no proof that will happen.
Your speculation here is just as valid, maybe more so, than mine.

I don't see a scenario where Ohio State would make the CFP and Michigan does not. OSU is Michigan's floor. Tough to put OSU above Michigan when they played last week and Michigan won by 22 at Columbus. Hard to imagine rewarding OSU for taking Saturday off and sitting on their couch.
Maybe you are right.

I would think a loss to Purdue would be worse than Ohio State losing to Michigan, hence Michigan getting ranked lower. Though you are right, that seems crazy with Mich having just kicked their ___ a week ago.

I don't think anyone thinks there's a snowball's chance in hell of Purdue beating Mich. So it's somewhat moot.

But perhaps they would just move Mich down to #4 and keep OSU at #5. Then it's the same Orange bowl thing. Will be interesting to see.

I think TCU has the best chance to lose of the four conf championship games.

Good write up on bowls with 1 spot left now the New Mexico State is in.

Buffalo wins tonight and they are in. They lose and 5-7 UNLV will go bowling. Also Missouri trying to dodge a bowl game against Kansas.

I hope they somehow get forced together, but I'm sure the SEC will do what it can to respect Missouri's wishes. Just silly. They don't want to lose to KU

I think we are fairly locked into the Pinstripe Bowl regardless of outcome of other games.

It will be Iowa, Illinois and Maryland fighting it out for the other spots (Music City, Dukes, Detroit).

Of course the Gophers didn’t get screwed in 2018. The team finished 6-6 so it HAD to be placed in a bowl and it happened to be the lowest available for a B1G team. No complaints, but certainly not catching a break either.

I complained.

Music City took a fading 6-6 Purdue team instead of a somewhat surging 6-6 Minnesota, which had destroyed Purdue 41-10 two weeks earlier.

Purdue summarily got trounced by Auburn 63-14 in the Music City. Minnesota dominated Georgia Tech.

Shouldn't the 6-6 team get dicked into the Quick Lane??

Nah, I get why Phoenix wants Wisconsin instead of Maryland.

Especially true since I saw firsthand last year about 200 West Virginia fans at the bowl game in Phoenix. Not 20,000. Not 2000. 200.

I'm guessing Maryland would send the same.

Yeah. There's not a chance MN is in the Quick Lane as two games better than WI.

There is zero chance Minnesota is going to Detroit. None.

It will be Maryland to Motor City.

Only way it isn't Maryland in Detroit is if the Big Ten won't have an available team. For example, if Ohio State slips into the CFP with Michigan. Then Maryland likely shifts to Charlotte leaving Detroit to find a non-Big Ten team.

MN would eventually get relegated to the Pinstripe. They might as well eat it now so it takes that prospect off the table in a better year.
This.

Randy Johnson had a good write up in the STrib today about bowl projections. One key takeaway of his from speaking to people on the bowl selection committees -- agree with it or call it complete BS -- is that they seem to think if a team has never been to that bowl before, that's more likely to get their fanbase to travel there.

Notes that we were in the Nashville bowl in like 2002, 04, and 05, and that the bowl is aware of that, whereas Iowa and Illinois have never been there.

We have never been to the Pinstripe, while Maryland, Wisc, and Iowa have all been there since 2017.

Top Bottom